The Walking Dead - Season 4 (UK Pace)

Comments

• sheila bligesheila blige Posts: 8,012
    Forum Member
    Squiggle wrote: »
    Wow, exclamation point and everything. Norman Reedus isn't mumbling, so either something is wrong with your tv volume or your hearing. :p

This opener was a fantastic start to the series. Very gripping. I have loved this series from the very beginning and I also love the progression that it has taken over the years.

I don't know what it is that you or for that matter those like you are looking for, but I do recognize that you and I are watching two very different programs. I get the feeling that many of you will be moaning & groaning, once again, about how you used to love this series, but...

Don't put yourself through this self-imposed torture. Just quit. :cool:
    Oh don't be so pompous! One can still enjoy a program but appreciate its faults (and TWD has quite a few).

There's nothing wrong with my TV set - I can hear and understand every word Andrew Lincoln, David Morrisey, Lauren Cohan and a lot of others say. Norman Reedus mumbles - even my 16 year old son (who loves the show too) says he can barely make out what he's saying. Its a good job Norman's nice to look at!
  • JakobjoeJakobjoe Posts: 8,235
    Forum Member
    A great opener I thought. Yes the character development is pretty much non existent. But there is just something amazingly watchable about this show and has been since S1. I actually think the scene with the walkers dropping through the roof was approaching classic status. Brilliantly done and one of the most memorable for the show so far. Intrigued as to where this season will go.

all true..i think they have lost too many of the better more interesting characters though and theres no older ones left..i like michonne and daryl but the rest i dont care..

some things they need to sort out as well... when they bring in any new characters they seem the same as they have already had..plus where are the old people and why arent there any dogs or cats..all those rotting and walking dead bodies and theres a remarkable lack of flies around
  • mindsetmindset Posts: 23,949
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Jakobjoe wrote: »
    all true..i think they have lost too many of the better more interesting characters though and theres no older ones left..i like michonne and daryl but the rest i dont care..

some things they need to sort out as well... when they bring in any new characters they seem the same as they have already had..plus where are the old people and why arent there any dogs or cats..all those rotting and walking dead bodies and theres a remarkable lack of flies around

I think a willingness to suspend disbelief is necessary to enjoy this show. For instance, what happens to the meat that walkers swallow, where does it go? Do they still have a functioning digestive system? If so, wouldn't their rear ends be covered in excrement? And if not, wouldn't it just gather inside until their bellies split open?

Also if their hearts no longer function, why doesn't all their blood settle in their feet until walking causes it to rupture out? When a walker is killed (shot or hacked) we should never see any blood spray, because they shouldn't have any left.

Bahhhhh, it's best not to think LOL.
  • irishfeenirishfeen Posts: 10,025
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Great opening episode to 4 ... it brings up so many possibilities including the possibility that the virus could be evolving and becoming easier to spread and could be now affecting animals.

Great scene in the shop where it was literally the raining dead... also great (albeit kind of weird) to hear an Irish accent in the form of the crazy woman in the woods.
  • burton07burton07 Posts: 10,871
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    mindset wrote: »
    I think a willingness to suspend disbelief is necessary to enjoy this show. For instance, what happens to the meat that walkers swallow, where does it go? Do they still have a functioning digestive system? If so, wouldn't their rear ends be covered in excrement? And if not, wouldn't it just gather inside until their bellies split open?

Also if their hearts no longer function, why doesn't all their blood settle in their feet until walking causes it to rupture out? When a walker is killed (shot or hacked) we should never see any blood spray, because they shouldn't have any left.

Bahhhhh, it's best not to think LOL.

I've said this before in response to a poster complaining about stuff like that. How realistic do you want a show about zombies to be?
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,570
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Just watched Friday's episode, so far, so OK. I had high hopes for TWD after S3, but for some reason I can see this being similiar to S2, with not a great deal happening.

Also...

WHERES WALLACE AT?!

STRING?

WHERES THE BOY?
  • The_abbottThe_abbott Posts: 26,958
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    That was a promising start. Season 3 started off really well too but got bogged down with too much Governor. He was Ok at the start but the stuff with him and Andrea towards the end got a little boring.

The scenes with the dead falling through the roof was classic and I'm glad Zach got munched for being an annoying twit.

Poor old Patrick Potter, I guess the virus has mutated as he turned fairly fast. Did he eat some pig dropping or something! - I reckon the pig spread the virus and poor Patrick hung around too many of Carol's kitchen's I bet Darryl doesn't do much finger licking when he finds out.

All these new characters I was a little overwhelmed at first but I'm glad there are more characters but I hope they give them all a purpose. In season 3 the plan seemed to be say hello to some new characters, learn nothing about them and bang they are dead within 3 episodes (like the prisoners).

Carol's kiddie commando training lol - nice to see she's been added to trhe credits after all this time - ditto Hershall -

Speaking of Hershal I thought they made a mistake when I saw him walking with Rick until on second viewing I noticed he has a peg leg now.

Glenn/Maggie - I liked them in season 2 but it's all becoming a bore now. They used to be quite strong characters but now they are as wet as lettuce - even Beth has more backbone!
  • deans6571deans6571 Posts: 6,137
    Forum Member
    ...YEP - totally loved Friday's episode!!

That scene in the store was a classic - I've never scene a zombie film which doesn't have a scene in a mall/department store...!!!!

Its a pity they seem to stick in them poxy Joop adverts at every opportunity - the episode starts for about a minute or so, then the credits roll for the start of the episode, then we literally get 5 minutes of viewing and then the first break comes in....!!!!

Without the breaks - every episode would only last about half an hour.............!
  • Bio MaxBio Max Posts: 2,207
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Enjoyed the spisode, but not as much as I'd hoped.

Why wasn't Hershel looking after the sick pig? He's a vet!

I enjoyed the supermarket bit - and glad someone died, they need to keep picking people off so we know nobody is safe.

I didn't quite get the whole Rick bit wandering off with that woman ?? (and when will he learn not to trust strangers...)
  • bobcarbobcar Posts: 19,424
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    deans6571 wrote: »
    Its a pity they seem to stick in them poxy Joop adverts at every opportunity - the episode starts for about a minute or so, then the credits roll for the start of the episode, then we literally get 5 minutes of viewing and then the first break comes in....!!!!

Without the breaks - every episode would only last about half an hour.............!

It only takes seconds to skim past the adverts with a PVR. I wouldn't dream of watching a commercial channel live other than live sport.
  • derek500derek500 Posts: 24,892
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    deans6571 wrote: »

Watched the ad free (and sponsor free) version from Sky's On Demand tonight and running time was 40 minutes.

Certainly shorter than it used to be.
  • The_abbottThe_abbott Posts: 26,958
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    40 minutes is now the average duration for a US networked show. I guess its the same with AMC now. It shocking that a 3rd of an hour's TV is adverts.
  • batesy2000batesy2000 Posts: 818
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    derek500 wrote: »
    Watched the ad free (and sponsor free) version from Sky's On Demand tonight and running time was 40 minutes.

Certainly shorter than it used to be.

Yeah I recorded it then realised downloading on demand meant I didn't have to x30 the breaks. It makes for better viewing
  • EraserheadEraserhead Posts: 22,016
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I think it is something in the water or food - they kept focusing on the pig that was sick.

I want to know if the pig turns into a walker :D

I guess a pig would be a trotter, not a walker :)

Liked this season opener. The supermarket scene was great. Not sure what to make of the new characters yet. The whole scene with the woman in the woods with her zombie husband was very sad.
  • AddisonianAddisonian Posts: 16,377
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Enjoyed the season 4 opening.
    Got to agree though - none of the new characters stood out and will almost definitely serve as zombie fodder in future episodes.
  • swingalegswingaleg Posts: 103,111
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    Addisonian wrote: »
    Enjoyed the season 4 opening.
    Got to agree though - none of the new characters stood out and will almost definitely serve as zombie fodder in future episodes.

I guess we have to keep losing 'named' characters fairly regularly or the air of ever present calamitous danger would disappear
  • TardisSteveTardisSteve Posts: 8,077
    Forum Member
    really enjoyed tonight's episode,the bit where michonne was looking after Judith was touching, she is showing alot more emotion recently which is good, Danai Gurira is such a fantastic actress

thought the ending was shocking though :eek: look forward to next weeks episode
  • decobelledecobelle Posts: 4,717
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I agree, good episode, kept me hooked anyway! One thing I don't understand - when someone is bitten they will amputate the infected limb if possible. However, they are all infected anyway, so surely there's only a problem if the bitten person dies from the bite? The injuries tonight's guy had didn't look fatal.

Has anyone else pondered this, or am I being dense?
  • MysteriousOzMysteriousOz Posts: 6,230
    Forum Member
    Loved tonight's episode michonne is becoming more human which is great!!
  • VerenceVerence Posts: 104,588
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    decobelle wrote: »
    I agree, good episode, kept me hooked anyway! One thing I don't understand - when someone is bitten they will amputate the infected limb if possible. However, they are all infected anyway, so surely there's only a problem if the bitten person dies from the bite? The injuries tonight's guy had didn't look fatal.

How about this???

The walkers are full of all sorts of infection apart from the zombie virus so being bitten by one of the walkers causes the bitten person to succumb to those infections as well thus causing them to die much quicker than they would through natural causes

Ryan, the father of the two young girls was bitten on the arm and on the neck. If he had just been bitten on the arm and Carol had managed to amputate the arm in time he could have survived in the same way that Hershel did when he had his leg removed. The neck injury meant that infections from the walker bites would have spread anyway
  • jenziejenzie Posts: 20,821
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

if your even SCRATCHED ..... you're undead :eek:

and holy crap to this series already :D
  • VerenceVerence Posts: 104,588
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    I have a feeling it won't be many more episode until they decide to leave the prison
  • CorwinCorwin Posts: 16,606
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

Everyone has the Virus but as long as you are alive it stays dormant.

When someone dies the Virus kicks into gear and reanimates the person as a walker.

When a Walker bites a person they transfer some of the active Virus to them, this then causes a fever which kills the person who is then reanimated by the Virus.

Amputating a limb that has been bitten can stop the active infection from spreading to the Brain and causing the fatal fever.

The guy in this episode had a bite on the neck so there was no way they could stop the infection reaching his brain.
  • 00tommo00tommo Posts: 2,208
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    So who's feeding the walkers and did the burning last night? My money is on the new black dude who we saw briefly last night but was a bit more prominent in the first one. Not sure why though?
  • moonlilymoonlily Posts: 7,893
    Forum Member
    Its a good job Norman's nice to look at!

Is he? I hadn't noticed :o:D