Best supporting actress nominee and Bette Davis co-star Joan Lorring dies aged 88

Comments

• Walter NeffWalter Neff Posts: 9,148
    Forum Member
    Its good to hear Barbara chimed well friendship wise on The Colbys with cast even if she found the scripts lousy!Did she have any scenes with Joan Collins in The Colbys?I cant recall but I imagine/hope she did!
    I really wish Id have gotten around to seeing old Hollywood star Angela Lansbury in Londons Westend this year:(What an achievement at 88!
    Anne Baxter was magic in All About Eve-I could imagine her having real presence on stage.

Is George Kennedy still alive by the way?

And does Peter Fonda fall under the golden era catchment?

Very best of luck with running another marathon but even if you dont youve already achieved a fantastic amount in this regard.Be proud.

Barbara and Joan never did appear together unfortunately, but I know that Joan ia a big fan. Only recently she said, "I can never resist watching old movies on TV, especially anything with Barbara Stanwyck."

It is a shame that we can't attach photo's to our messages, I have a stunning photo of them together at a party in the 1980's, although you can see it in my group.

Yes, George Kennedy is still alive and kicking at 89.

I never think of Peter Fonda as a big name, to me he is just Henry's son, Jane's young brother, and Brigitte's Dad, and he never made his film debut till 1962.

I never get to the theatre since I moved from London to Kent 28 years ago. I even missed Angela in Gypsy when I did live in London. Although I did have the pleasure of seeing her give a talk at the National Film Theatre in 1972. She was very funny and entertaining, and she signed my album of "Mame." :)
  • HildaonplutoHildaonpluto Posts: 37,696
    Forum Member
    Check out @AP's Tweet: https://twitter.com/AP/status/477168234379350017

Ruby Dee has sadly died aged 91.Screen legend
    Forum Member
    Check out @AP's Tweet: https://twitter.com/AP/status/477168234379350017

Ruby Dee has sadly died aged 91.Screen legend

Another name on my list has died, Mona Freeman, one of my childhood favourites, aged 87. :(
    Forum Member
    Another name on my list has died, Mona Freeman, one of my childhood favourites, aged 87. :(

There seems to have been a real glut of them this past week.So sad.
    Forum Member
    There seems to have been a real glut of them this past week.So sad.

Sadly, that old show biz superstition that they always go in three's seems to have happened again this week. Although Mona died May 23rd, and it has only just been reported, that still leaves Rik Mayall, Martha Hyer, and Ruby Dee.
    Forum Member
    Sadly, that old show biz superstition that they always go in three's seems to have happened again this week. Although Mona died May 23rd, and it has only just been reported, that still leaves Rik Mayall, Martha Hyer, and Ruby Dee.

I recall Robert Mitchum,Jimmy Stewart and somebody else all died within days.of each other in 1997 and in 1998 Linda McCartney,Tammy Wynette and I think Sinatra-Not 100% all died rather close together.

Oh by the way do you know if Franks first wife Nancy and his widow Barbara are still alive please?
    Forum Member
    I recall Robert Mitchum,Jimmy Stewart and somebody else all died within days.of each other in 1997 and in 1998 Linda McCartney,Tammy Wynette and I think Sinatra-Not 100% all died rather close together.

Oh by the way do you know if Franks first wife Nancy and his widow Barbara are still alive please?

Yes, Nancy is 97, and Barbara is 86, and looking increasingly strange with all the cosmetic surgery that she has had. I haven't seen any photo's of Nancy since 1981 when she accompanied her friend Barbara Stanwyck to the Los Angeles Film Critics Awards, and she looked very good.
    Forum Member
    Yes, Nancy is 97, and Barbara is 86, and looking increasingly strange with all the cosmetic surgery that she has had. I haven't seen any photo's of Nancy since 1981 when she accompanied her friend Barbara Stanwyck to the Los Angeles Film Critics Awards, and she looked very good.

Did the Nancy Barbara Stanwyck friendship stem from when Nancy was married to Frank Sinatra or did they become friends after the Sinatra marriage collasped?

Was Barbara Stanwyck ever friends with Frank Sinatra or ever his costar?

Oh btw I could be mistaken but isnt Kirk Douglas current wife and his ex wife both still alive and both hollywood actresses?
    Forum Member
    Did the Nancy Barbara Stanwyck friendship stem from when Nancy was married to Frank Sinatra or did they become friends after the Sinatra marriage collasped?

Was Barbara Stanwyck ever friends with Frank Sinatra or ever his costar?

Oh btw I could be mistaken but isnt Kirk Douglas current wife and his ex wife both still alive and both hollywood actresses?

I first saw pictures of them together after their divorces, both around 1951.

Barbara was never friendly with Frank, although I have film and photo's of them chatting intimately at a charity function when Elvis handed over a big cheque.

Diana Dill, Kirk's first wife, and Michael's mother was an actress, and is still alive aged 91. She looks better than his 82 year old second wife Anne a former reporter, who has gone too far with the cosmetic surgery.
    Forum Member
    I first saw pictures of them together after their divorces, both around 1951.

Barbara was never friendly with Frank, although I have film and photo's of them chatting intimately at a charity function when Elvis handed over a big cheque.

Diana Dill, Kirk's first wife, and Michael's mother was an actress, and is still alive aged 91. She looks better than his 82 year old second wife Anne a former reporter, who has gone too far with the cosmetic surgery.

Thank You.I wasnt sure if Id rembered it correctly.

Do you rate Kirk Douglas btw?Personally Ive a much bigger softspot for the rather suave Cary Grant and the rather prestigious Gregory Peck.I know Lauren Bacall aleays spoke highly of Gregory and Kirk.

Do you see any of the big name stars will eventually have a prestigious film based on their life made perhaps years after theyve passed away?Ive heard Lindsay Lohan as Elizabeth Taylor and Nicole Kidman as Grace Kelly were awful!But the Johnny Cash biopic was critically acclaimed.

Davis,Crawford,Stanwyck,Turner (esp)I think have the potential for great biopics given their lifestory.Ava Gardner too.
    Forum Member
    Thank You.I wasnt sure if Id rembered it correctly.

Do you rate Kirk Douglas btw?Personally Ive a much bigger softspot for the rather suave Cary Grant and the rather prestigious Gregory Peck.I know Lauren Bacall aleays spoke highly of Gregory and Kirk.

Do you see any of the big name stars will eventually have a prestigious film based on their life made perhaps years after theyve passed away?Ive heard Lindsay Lohan as Elizabeth Taylor and Nicole Kidman as Grace Kelly were awful!But the Johnny Cash biopic was critically acclaimed.

Davis,Crawford,Stanwyck,Turner (esp)I think have the potential for great biopics given their lifestory.Ava Gardner too.

I've always had a soft spot for Kirk, and not only because he made his film debut as Barbara's weak, alcoholic husband in the marvellous film noir, The Strange Loves of Martha Ivers. He has given some great performances over the years, especially in The Bad and the Beautiful, in which Lana was also outstanding.

One of my big regrets is that Barbara never got to work with Cary Grant, I think that they would have been a dream team. It nearly happened, she even got as far as having costume tests for Once Upon a Honeymoon, until Ginger Rogers somehow persuaded RKO producer Pandro Berman to give her the role. I suppose that the fact that she was under contract to that studio that got her the role. It turned out to be a flop, but they never got another chance to work together. I think that he would have been perfect in the Gary Cooper role in Ball of Fire, and Barbara would have been great in the Bergman role in Notorious.

I can't honestly say that I am a big fan of film biography's, I certainly have no desire to see Barbara being portrayed by anyone. Although two of my favourite film biography's both starred Susan Hayward, she played singer Jane Froman in With a Song in my Heart, and displayed a great singing voice herself when she played Lilian Roth in I'll Cry Tomorrow.
    Forum Member
    I've always had a soft spot for Kirk, and not only because he made his film debut as Barbara's weak, alcoholic husband in the marvellous film noir, The Strange Loves of Martha Ivers. He has given some great performances over the years, especially in The Bad and the Beautiful, in which Lana was also outstanding.

One of my big regrets is that Barbara never got to work with Cary Grant, I think that they would have been a dream team. It nearly happened, she even got as far as having costume tests for Once Upon a Honeymoon, until Ginger Rogers somehow persuaded RKO producer Pandro Berman to give her the role. I suppose that the fact that she was under contract to that studio that got her the role. It turned out to be a flop, but they never got another chance to work together. I think that he would have been perfect in the Gary Cooper role in Ball of Fire, and Barbara would have been great in the Bergman role in Notorious.

I can't honestly say that I am a big fan of film biography's, I certainly have no desire to see Barbara being portrayed by anyone. Although two of my favourite film biography's both starred Susan Hayward, she played singer Jane Froman in With a Song in my Heart, and displayed a great singing voice herself when she played Lilian Roth in I'll Cry Tomorrow.

Barbara Stanwyck with Cary Grant would have been heavenly!:)Definitely a better pairing than Ginger Rogers!
    I sense that Barbara is a film stars actor in the sense that lots of actors in eras after her reference her and her films as quality standard performance and classic gold.Massive compliment.

Was Barbara one of these actresses who went to live their later years out in New York like Garbo and Bacall or did she pass away in LA?
    Forum Member
    Barbara Stanwyck with Cary Grant would have been heavenly!:)Definitely a better pairing than Ginger Rogers!
    I sense that Barbara is a film stars actor in the sense that lots of actors in eras after her reference her and her films as quality standard performance and classic gold.Massive compliment.

Was Barbara one of these actresses who went to live their later years out in New York like Garbo and Bacall or did she pass away in LA?

One of Barbara's big problems was that she would rarely leave LA. When she did it was usually a brief trip to New York to visit her friend Joan Crawford or see the latest shows. When she went to see Sammy Davis in the musical of Golden Boy the audience gave her a standing ovation. When she went backstage to congratulate Sammy he had the whole cast lined up to meet her, she really was treated like movie Royalty.

It still grieves me that she turned down all stage offers, even though she started off on the Broadway stage she was terrified of public appearances. I always thought that she would have been fantastic on stage as Regina Giddons in The Little Foxes.

It was lucky for me that she accepted the Lincoln Centre Tribute to her, it really was the most unforgettable evening that I will remember for the rest of my life.

She made her last public appearance in April 1987 when she was presented with the American Film Institutes Lifetime Achievement Award. She had come straight from St John's Hospital. LA, where she had been treated for a strained back after lifting dumb bells to get fit for that evening. Consequently, she spent most of the evening watching it on a monitor backstage while colleagues like Fred MacMurray, Linda Evans and Billy Wilder paid tribute to her. She came out to a tumultuous reception at the end of the evening to receive her Silver Star. She was obviously in pain, and her opening words after thanking the audience were, "Honest to God, I can't walk on water!" :)

She made a short speech thanking Frank Capra, who gave her her first break, and "Billy Wilder, who taught me to kill, thank God for him! and then of course, my own special group, the electricians, the crew, and the stunt men and women who taught me so well. I thank them, and I thank you Ladies and Gentlemen,"

Then she was gone, never to be seen again, she died January 20th 1990in St John's Health Centre, the cause was officially congestive heart failure, and chronic obstructive pulmonary disease. She left instructions that she wanted neither a funeral or Memorial service. In accordance with her wishes, her remains were cremated and her ashes scattered from a helicopter over Lone Pine, California, where she had filmed so many of the Westerns that she loved so much.

I think that was rather a fitting way to go, and so like her, no fuss, and no ceremony, just quietly and privately.
    Forum Member
    One of Barbara's big problems was that she would rarely leave LA. When she did it was usually a brief trip to New York to visit her friend Joan Crawford or see the latest shows. When she went to see Sammy Davis in the musical of Golden Boy the audience gave her a standing ovation. When she went backstage to congratulate Sammy he had the whole cast lined up to meet her, she really was treated like movie Royalty.

It still grieves me that she turned down all stage offers, even though she started off on the Broadway stage she was terrified of public appearances. I always thought that she would have been fantastic on stage as Regina Giddons in The Little Foxes.

It was lucky for me that she accepted the Lincoln Centre Tribute to her, it really was the most unforgettable evening that I will remember for the rest of my life.

She made her last public appearance in April 1987 when she was presented with the American Film Institutes Lifetime Achievement Award. She had come straight from St John's Hospital. LA, where she had been treated for a strained back after lifting dumb bells to get fit for that evening. Consequently, she spent most of the evening watching it on a monitor backstage while colleagues like Fred MacMurray, Linda Evans and Billy Wilder paid tribute to her. She came out to a tumultuous reception at the end of the evening to receive her Silver Star. She was obviously in pain, and her opening words after thanking the audience were, "Honest to God, I can't walk on water!" :)

She made a short speech thanking Frank Capra, who gave her her first break, and "Billy Wilder, who taught me to kill, thank God for him! and then of course, my own special group, the electricians, the crew, and the stunt men and women who taught me so well. I thank them, and I thank you Ladies and Gentlemen,"

Then she was gone, never to be seen again, she died January 20th 1990in St John's Health Centre, the cause was officially congestive heart failure, and chronic obstructive pulmonary disease. She left instructions that she wanted neither a funeral or Memorial service. In accordance with her wishes, her remains were cremated and her ashes scattered from a helicopter over Lone Pine, California, where she had filmed so many of the Westerns that she loved so much.

I think that was rather a fitting way to go, and so like her, no fuss, and no ceremony, just quietly and privately.

Barbara definitely sounds like a very unshowbizzy actress and based on what youve said about Barbaras private and low key nature I dont think she would have at all wanted a biopic of her life made!

Would you describe Barbara as the queen or gold standard of film noir?Did she ever do any presenting at award shows like the Oscars?

Do you at all rate Robert Mitchum?
    Ps Is Robert Redford a hollywood legend in your opinion?
    Forum Member
    Barbara definitely sounds like a very unshowbizzy actress and based on what youve said about Barbaras private and low key nature I dont think she would have at all wanted a biopic of her life made!

Would you describe Barbara as the queen or gold standard of film noir?Did she ever do any presenting at award shows like the Oscars?

Do you at all rate Robert Mitchum?
    Ps Is Robert Redford a hollywood legend in your opinion?

For me she was the Queen of film noir, if only for Double Indemnity, and there was The Strange Love of Martha Ivers, The File on Thelma Jordon and No Man of Her Own.

Yes, she and Bill Holden presented the Sound Award to the Star Wars team at the 1978
    Oscars. This was when he broke away from the script to pay a personal tribute to Barbara who he always said was responsible for his Hollywood career. You can see this on You Tube, and it is very touching. You can see Barbara's look of total surprise and shock, and she was very near to tears when he finished his tribute, she just hugged him and said, "Oh Bill, I didn't know!"

I certainly rate Robert Mitchum very highly, a very under valued actor. I thought that he deserved to win an Oscar for The Night of the Hunter, and he wasn't even Nominated.

I guess that Robert Redford just about squeezes into the legendary section, he made him film debut in Warhunt in 1962. I certainly enjoyed him and Paul Newman in Butch Cassidy and the Sundance Kid and The Sting.
    Forum Member
    For me she was the Queen of film noir, if only for Double Indemnity, and there was The Strange Love of Martha Ivers, The File on Thelma Jordon and No Man of Her Own.

Yes, she and Bill Holden presented the Sound Award to the Star Wars team at the 1978
    Oscars. This was when he broke away from the script to pay a personal tribute to Barbara who he always said was responsible for his Hollywood career. You can see this on You Tube, and it is very touching. You can see Barbara's look of total surprise and shock, and she was very near to tears when he finished his tribute, she just hugged him and said, "Oh Bill, I didn't know!"

I certainly rate Robert Mitchum very highly, a very under valued actor. I thought that he deserved to win an Oscar for The Night of the Hunter, and he wasn't even Nominated.

I guess that Robert Redford just about squeezes into the legendary section, he made him film debut in Warhunt in 1962. I certainly enjoyed him and Paul Newman in Butch Cassidy and the Sundance Kid and The Sting.

Yes I agree.Robert Mitchum hardly gets a mention but from what Ive seen hes excellent.He had a very bad almost antiestablishment way about him,I wonder if thats played a part in why Hollywood seems to overlook him?

I wonder based on what youve told me what Barbaras thoughts and analysis would be on Hollywood in 2014?!

Do you think James Dean would have gone on to become a cinematic great had he not died so young or do you think his young death enabled his "legendary" status?
    Forum Member
    Yes I agree.Robert Mitchum hardly gets a mention but from what Ive seen hes excellent.He had a very bad almost antiestablishment way about him,I wonder if thats played a part in why Hollywood seems to overlook him?

I wonder based on what youve told me what Barbaras thoughts and analysis would be on Hollywood in 2014?!

Do you think James Dean would have gone on to become a cinematic great had he not died so young or do you think his young death enabled his "legendary" status?

I don't think that Barbara would have been very impressed by Hollywood today, anymore than I am. In her very last speech at her AFI Tribute she paid a passionate tribute to the writer's saying, "Oh God how important they are!"

There don't seem to be any great original writers today, which is why they keep on remaking the Classics, and they are never as good.

James Dean died when I was 18, and like most teenagers at the time I thought that he was an exciting new talent. Almost 60 years later he seems terribly dated and mannered, and don't think that he would have lasted. I never did understand how he became a legend with just three films. Paul Newman got his big break when Dean died, he took over the role that he was going to play in Somebody Up There Likes Me.

Now that who is who I consider a legend, I think that Paul had a marvellous career, with some really wonderful films, and I love his salad dressing too! :D
    Forum Member
    I don't think that Barbara would have been very impressed by Hollywood today, anymore than I am. In her very last speech at her AFI Tribute she paid a passionate tribute to the writer's saying, "Oh God how important they are!"

There don't seem to be any great original writers today, which is why they keep on remaking the Classics, and they are never as good.

James Dean died when I was 18, and like most teenagers at the time I thought that he was an exciting new talent. Almost 60 years later he seems terribly dated and mannered, and don't think that he would have lasted. I never did understand how he became a legend with just three films. Paul Newman got his big break when Dean died, he took over the role that he was going to play in Somebody Up There Likes Me.

Now that who is who I consider a legend, I think that Paul had a marvellous career, with some really wonderful films, and I love his salad dressing too! :D

Paul Newman I adore:blush: and he was a great sincere passionate bloke in real life.

I can never see Hollywood coming close to a golden age again.

Which actors do you feel never hit the great heights that they deserved too?Ive always felt for instance that Betty Grable and Kim Novak could have gone furthur?
    Forum Member
    Paul Newman I adore:blush: and he was a great sincere passionate bloke in real life.

I can never see Hollywood coming close to a golden age again.

Which actors do you feel never hit the great heights that they deserved too?Ive always felt for instance that Betty Grable and Kim Novak could have gone furthur?

Oddly enough I never appreciated Betty when I was young, although her '40's musicals were some of the first films that I ever saw. Believe it or not, my favourite star when I was a kid was Carmen Miranda. :D

It wasn't until I saw How to Marry a Millionaire that I realised was a talented comedienne she was. Since then I have seen most of her films, my favourites being Wabash Avenue and Mother Wore Tights. Shame that she missed out on playing Miss Adelaide in Guys and Dolls, I think that she would have been even better than Vivian Blaine, who was terrific.
    She wanted to come to Drury Lane to play in Hello Dolly which would also have been great for her. It is a shame that although she was in the Top Ten Box Office Stars for ten years running, she is almost forgotten today.

I can't say that I was a fan of Kim Novak, she always seemed to be in a trance, Marilyn was always my favourite blonde, and still is! :)
    Forum Member
    Oddly enough I never appreciated Betty when I was young, although her '40's musicals were some of the first films that I ever saw. Believe it or not, my favourite star when I was a kid was Carmen Miranda. :D

It wasn't until I saw How to Marry a Millionaire that I realised was a talented comedienne she was. Since then I have seen most of her films, my favourites being Wabash Avenue and Mother Wore Tights. Shame that she missed out on playing Miss Adelaide in Guys and Dolls, I think that she would have been even better than Vivian Blaine, who was terrific.
    She wanted to come to Drury Lane to play in Hello Dolly which would also have been great for her. It is a shame that although she was in the Top Ten Box Office Stars for ten years running, she is almost forgotten today.

I can't say that I was a fan of Kim Novak, she always seemed to be in a trance, Marilyn was always my favourite blonde, and still is! :)

How to marry a millionaire is a camp cult classic favourite of mine!:D
    After Bette Davis Ms Grable was certainly my favourite Betty!

But how would you rank Betty Hutton?Certainly not as big a name as Betty Grable but had a good spell in the limelight.

Where there any particular roles that you felt Barbara should have got or would have been better in film wise?For some reason I cant imagine her lowering herself and Im not sure thats the right word ,perhaps demeaning is a bit more apt?In to doing something like Whatever happened to Baby Jane?A film I loved but couldnt imagine Barbara doing anything in that vein like Davis and Crawford!:D
    Forum Member
    How to marry a millionaire is a camp cult classic favourite of mine!:D
    After Bette Davis Ms Grable was certainly my favourite Betty!

But how would you rank Betty Hutton?Certainly not as big a name as Betty Grable but had a good spell in the limelight.

Where there any particular roles that you felt Barbara should have got or would have been better in film wise?For some reason I cant imagine her lowering herself and Im not sure thats the right word ,perhaps demeaning is a bit more apt?In to doing something like Whatever happened to Baby Jane?A film I loved but couldnt imagine Barbara doing anything in that vein like Davis and Crawford!:D

Definitely NOT fan of Betty Hutton, too brash and loud, and without the warmth of Betty Grable.

There are so many roles that Barbara would have been ideal for. She starred in the Lux Radio broadcast of Dark Victory and persuaded Warners to buy it. Unfortunately she wasn't under contract to Warners as she preferred to free lance. This made her very wealthy, but it did mean that she lost out on plum roles that went to contract artists, and so Bette got it. I am a big fan of Bette's but I have never cared for her performance in Dark Victory, I found her very mannered. I have the radio broadcast with Barbara, and I have to say that I think that it is much better. Then I am possibly one of the few who preferred Susan Hayward in Stolen Hours, the 1963. remake of Dark Victory.

After her great success in Double Indemnity. Warners director Mike Curtis wanted Barbara for Mildred Pierce, but Joan Crawford who had signed a new contract with Warners got the role, much to the disgust of Curtiz, who gave her a very hard time. Joan proved that she was up to it, and after winning the Best Actress Oscar for 1945 she got a whole string of great roles, Humoresque, Possessed, The Damned Don't Cry, and Flamingo Road. I thought that Joan was great in all of them, but I would still have loved Barbara to have done them, especially Mildred Pierce, I don't think that she would have made her such a victim. Barbara was the first to be announced for The Story of Esther Costello, another great role than Joan did. I know that Barbara didn't like flying, so maybe that was one reason why she didn't come here to film it.

In 1947 she was under a short term contract at Warner's when she asked them to buy Ayn Rand's The Fountainhead. She actually spoke to the author about it, who had written in with Garbo in mind, but as Garbo wasn't interested she approved of Barbara in the role. Warners bought it and it was originally going to co star Barbara with Bogart, until King Vidor was assigned as director. He had directed Barbara in her 1937 hit film Stella Dallas, but ten years later he didn't think that Barbara was sexy enough for the role of the heroine, Domenique. Subsequently he chose a new actress, 21 year old Patricia Neal, who ended up having a notorious affair with her leading man, Gary Cooper.

Barbara was typically gracious in defeat, considering what a blow it must have been to her ego, this is what she said, "These are the things that happen in this business, they are disappointing naturally, but it isn't the end of the world. Mr Vidor just didn't think that I was sexy enough for the role, and he is certainly entitled to his opinion. So it wound up with Gary Cooper and Patricia Neal, who is certainly one of the finest actresses in our industry, or at least I think so."

Nevertheless, Barbara did write to Jack Warner asking him to terminate her short term contract.

When Joan Crawford became too sick to continue working on Hush Hush, Sweet Charlotte, it was rumoured that Barbara would take over. I have a taped interview from 1965 in which Barbara denied that she had ever been offered the role. "But had I been offered it I would certainly have checked with Joan first, because Joan is a friend of mine." What she was offered was the small role of Jewel Mayhew, and as she said. "I read it and I didn't care to play it, and so Mary Astor subsequently played that part."

In fact Barbara's last big screen role was in a nasty William Castle cheapie called The Night Walker. The director known for his gimmicks thought that it would be a great idea to team Barbara and her ex husband Robert Taylor. It was a rotten idea, and a rotten film, and whatever chemistry that they had together in their hey day was long gone. A total embarrassment for everyone concerned in that sorry mess. :(

I have mentioned before that I think that she would have been just perfect opposite Henry Fonda in On Golden Pond, and I do know that she wanted that role very badly.
    Forum Member
    Definitely NOT fan of Betty Hutton, too brash and loud, and without the warmth of Betty Grable.

There are so many roles that Barbara would have been ideal for. She starred in the Lux Radio broadcast of Dark Victory and persuaded Warners to buy it. Unfortunately she wasn't under contract to Warners as she preferred to free lance. This made her very wealthy, but it did mean that she lost out on plum roles that went to contract artists, and so Bette got it. I am a big fan of Bette's but I have never cared for her performance in Dark Victory, I found her very mannered. I have the radio broadcast with Barbara, and I have to say that I think that it is much better. Then I am possibly one of the few who preferred Susan Hayward in Stolen Hours, the 1963. remake of Dark Victory.

After her great success in Double Indemnity. Warners director Mike Curtis wanted Barbara for Mildred Pierce, but Joan Crawford who had signed a new contract with Warners got the role, much to the disgust of Curtiz, who gave her a very hard time. Joan proved that she was up to it, and after winning the Best Actress Oscar for 1945 she got a whole string of great roles, Humoresque, Possessed, The Damned Don't Cry, and Flamingo Road. I thought that Joan was great in all of them, but I would still have loved Barbara to have done them, especially Mildred Pierce, I don't think that she would have made her such a victim. Barbara was the first to be announced for The Story of Esther Costello, another great role than Joan did. I know that Barbara didn't like flying, so maybe that was one reason why she didn't come here to film it.

In 1947 she was under a short term contract at Warner's when she asked them to buy Ayn Rand's The Fountainhead. She actually spoke to the author about it, who had written in with Garbo in mind, but as Garbo wasn't interested she approved of Barbara in the role. Warners bought it and it was originally going to co star Barbara with Bogart, until King Vidor was assigned as director. He had directed Barbara in her 1937 hit film Stella Dallas, but ten years later he didn't think that Barbara was sexy enough for the role of the heroine, Domenique. Subsequently he chose a new actress, 21 year old Patricia Neal, who ended up having a notorious affair with her leading man, Gary Cooper.

Barbara was typically gracious in defeat, considering what a blow it must have been to her ego, this is what she said, "These are the things that happen in this business, they are disappointing naturally, but it isn't the end of the world. Mr Vidor just didn't think that I was sexy enough for the role, and he is certainly entitled to his opinion. So it wound up with Gary Cooper and Patricia Neal, who is certainly one of the finest actresses in our industry, or at least I think so."

Nevertheless, Barbara did write to Jack Warner asking him to terminate her short term contract.

When Joan Crawford became too sick to continue working on Hush Hush, Sweet Charlotte, it was rumoured that Barbara would take over. I have a taped interview from 1965 in which Barbara denied that she had ever been offered the role. "But had I been offered it I would certainly have checked with Joan first, because Joan is a friend of mine." What she was offered was the small role of Jewel Mayhew, and as she said. "I read it and I didn't care to play it, and so Mary Astor subsequently played that part."

In fact Barbara's last big screen role was in a nasty William Castle cheapie called The Night Walker. The director known for his gimmicks thought that it would be a great idea to team Barbara and her ex husband Robert Taylor. It was a rotten idea, and a rotten film, and whatever chemistry that they had together in their hey day was long gone. A total embarrassment for everyone concerned in that sorry mess. :(

I have mentioned before that I think that she would have been just perfect opposite Henry Fonda in On Golden Pond, and I do know that she wanted that role very badly.

Do you think in a slightly later Hollywood age Barbara would of made a good film director?

I find it hard to choose favourites film wise but in terms of Barbara Stanwyck,Double Indemnity,The Bitter Tea of General Yin and The Lady Eve are certainly ones I can watch again and again.
    How do you ratr Robert Wagner?Im sure Ive read claims he had a relationship with Barbara unless Im getting mixed up?
    Forum Member
    Barbara Stanwyck celebrating her birthday on the set of "Mad Miss Manton", 1938. - http://pinterest.com/pin/281756520412447843/?utm_source=android_share

Thought you might like this birthday picture Of Barbara on set of Mad Miss Manton. Walter:)
    Forum Member
    Do you think in a slightly later Hollywood age Barbara would of made a good film director?

I find it hard to choose favourites film wise but in terms of Barbara Stanwyck,Double Indemnity,The Bitter Tea of General Yin and The Lady Eve are certainly ones I can watch again and again.
    How do you ratr Robert Wagner?Im sure Ive read claims he had a relationship with Barbara unless Im getting mixed up?

Barbara made it quite clear how she felt about directing, it wasn't for her. As she said in the excellent documentary, "Portrait - Barbara Stanwyck" I find it hard enough doing what I do, without telling others what to do. I prefer being told what to do by someone who knows what they are talking about."

The Lady Eve is my favourite film of all time, and for me the best performance that Barbara ever gave. My other special favourites are The Other Love, My Reputation, The Furies, Lady of Burlesque, The File on Thelma Jordon, East Side, West Side, Christmas in Connecticut, No Man of Her Own, There's Always Tomorrow, and Remember the Night.

I think that Wagner has a very vivid imagination when he said that they had a four year affair. He forgets that some of us were around then, and read every fan magazine available. I only ever saw one photo of them together socialising in the 1950's. That was at a party at director Jean Negulesco's house to celebrate the end of filming of Titanic, in which they starred together. Clifton Webb was also in the photo but some magazines cut him out, as if to suggest that there was a romance. There is no way that those old witches Hedda and Louella, the two most powerful columnists in Hollywood would not have sniffed something out, if anything was going on. If there was a romance which I doubt, then it probably only lasted while they were working together.
    Something else he mentioned was that she was a great cook, when any fan of Barbara's knew that she couldn't boil water, and she was the first to admit it. When she was married to Robert Taylor, he did all the cooking.
    Forum Member
    Barbara Stanwyck celebrating her birthday on the set of "Mad Miss Manton", 1938. - http://pinterest.com/pin/281756520412447843/?utm_source=android_share

Thought you might like this birthday picture Of Barbara on set of Mad Miss Manton. Walter:)

Thanks, you won't be surprised to know that I already have this in my collection of 13.000 photo's of Barbara. ;-)

That was taken on her 31st birthday. I also have a photo of her celebrating her 25th birthday while filming The Bitter Tea of General Yen, and her 38th on the set of Christmas in Connecticut.