Options

Anyone seen 'Grace of Monaco', is it really that bad?

Derek FayeDerek Faye Posts: 1,081
Forum Member
✭✭✭
I was interested in seeing this because I do like Nicole Kidman but the reviews have been awful and she was meant to appear on The Graham Norton show to promote the film but didn't!

So is it really that bad? I thought it looked quite okay and the first proper biopic about Grace

Comments

• Options
    dee123dee123 Posts: 46,271
    Forum Member
    I liked it more than Diana.

Which LOL, i know isn't saying much.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 932
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    She pulled out of Simon Mayo and Mark Kermode's film review show too, but it was said that she was ill...
    They played a clip on there and, as far as you can tell on Radio, it didn't sound good at all; Nicole sounded incredibly wooden in it - whether that's her way of portraying the coolness of Grace, I don't know.
  • Options
    LMLM Posts: 63,505
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I will check this out purely for Nicole Kidman, and to see if it really bad

Going by what i have read from Nicole, it seems she is not happy with the movie and knows it is not her best performance. She isn't making excuses like Naomi Watts did

I think that is the thing when you sign with a film. You begin making it and you think "**** what i have i got myself into" and I think that is the case with Nicole Kidman, but it's difficult to get out of a movie contract so she likely thought "i better stick with it". I just hope if the film is bad, it isn't a career killer like Catwoman was for Halle Berry.
  • Options
    StrakerStraker Posts: 79,654
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Kermode rubbished it on the Film Review show on the News channel on Friday. He usually swims against the tide of popular opinion (just to be contrary IMO) but he was more than happy to side with his fellow critics here. Sounds like it`d be the perfect comedy double bill with the Diana flick.
  • Options
    JEFF62JEFF62 Posts: 5,102
    Forum Member
    Not showing at any cinema within 25 miles of where I live. So I wont be finding out if it is any good for some time.
  • Options
    Naa_KwaKaiNaa_KwaKai Posts: 1,883
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Straker wrote: »
    Kermode rubbished it on the Film Review show on the News channel on Friday. He usually swims against the tide of popular opinion (just to be contrary IMO) but he was more than happy to side with his fellow critics here. Sounds like it`d be the perfect comedy double bill with the Diana flick.

No he doesn't.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Naa_KwaKai wrote: »
    No he doesn't.

Yeah, he does.
  • Options
    dodradedodrade Posts: 23,852
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Straker wrote: »
    Yeah, he does.

He's the only critic I know who thinks comparing a film to Howard the Duck is a compliment.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    BOMB:

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/entertainment-arts-27778873
    Nicole Kidman film Grace of Monaco has bombed at the UK and Ireland box office, taking just £238,862 in its opening weekend.

The movie, which stars Kidman as Hollywood star-turned-princess Grace Kelly, was shown on 332 screens, box office tracker Rentrak said.

It equates to £719.46, or 110 customers, per cinema over the weekend.
  • Options
    Ben_Fisher1Ben_Fisher1 Posts: 2,973
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Oh dear, Kidman's career seems to have taken a nosedive over recent years, and this movie may just finish it off. She is obviously miscast in this movie, and too old by a decade or more to play Grace at 31.

The film looks awful from the clips, and the dialogue sounds clunky, oh well.:D
  • Options
    PJ68PJ68 Posts: 3,116
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    i saw it, i didn't mind it but then i love nicole kidman. however i was fully aware how rubbish it was whilst i was watching it. tim roth spends the whole filming leaning on something and smoking

poor nicole it's a long time since the hours / the others / moulin rouge :(

though i thought she was very good in rabbit hole and i sneakily like australia
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    PJ68 wrote: »
    i saw it, i didn't mind it but then i love nicole kidman. however i was fully aware how rubbish it was whilst i was watching it. tim roth spends the whole filming leaning on something and smoking

poor nicole it's a long time since the hours / the others / moulin rouge :(

though i thought she was very good in rabbit hole and i sneakily like australia

She has done brilliant roles since then

Rabbit hole, The Paperboy, hemingway and gellhorn, Stoker, The railway man

This is just a minor slump in her career. It's the first film of hers where she has been criticised since Bewitched.
  • Options
    JCRJCR Posts: 24,070
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I watched it.

It's very strange.

It starts by saying this is fiction, good as

1. This film expects you to believe pre production of the Alfred Hitchcock film Marnie nearly caused war in Europe
    2. Also that billionaires right to pay no taxes is a fairytale to be aspired to.

The music cues, the choice of frequent close ups of Kidman's face, the all over the place acting, it's just...odd, and in the end you're rooting for antagonist of the piece Charles de Gaulle to come & introduce every other character to madame guillotine.

It's not without entertainment value in that some parts are unintentionally funny- a bit where Geraldine Somerville's character starts screaming in particular- but at the same time it is quite staggering that UK distributor Warner Bros saw fit to put a film that's as obviously severely flawed as this on general release. It's terrible.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    For those who have seen it, would you say Nicole Kidman's actual age may of been a factor in the dodgy casting. Grace Kelly was 26 at the time in the film and Nicole is 20 years older and you can't really cover that up. Would a younger actress had been better? Not sounding ageist.
  • Options
    julie2009julie2009 Posts: 4,751
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I have always admired Grace Kelly and could never pinpoint which actress could play her.

I don't even think any actress at present could get away with portraying her.
    I was a bit shocked to hear Nicole Kidman had got the part
  • Options
    *Cadhla**Cadhla* Posts: 1,276
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    julie2009 wrote: »
    I have always admired Grace Kelly and could never pinpoint which actress could play her.

Yes me too. I loved Grace - so talented and graceful and beautiful - and remember the day she died when the story broke on the tv news. Such a heartbreaking shock and I could not think of going to see this film just because I know it wouldn't do her justice
  • Options
    jules1000jules1000 Posts: 10,709
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    julie2009 wrote: »

A lot of people suggested that January Jones play Grace Kelly, or even Scarlett Johannson, both better for the role I think.
  • Options
    PointyPointy Posts: 1,762
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    She has done brilliant roles since then

Rabbit hole, The Paperboy, hemingway and gellhorn, Stoker, The railway man

This is just a minor slump in her career. It's the first film of hers where she has been criticised since Bewitched.

She's had bad reviews since Bewitched.
  • Options
    LewnaticcLewnaticc Posts: 3,933
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Yvie123 wrote: »
    She pulled out of Simon Mayo and Mark Kermode's film review show too

After Naomi Watts storming out, I'm not surprised. Kermode would have ripped Nicole a new hole.
  • Options
    InkblotInkblot Posts: 26,889
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Lewnaticc wrote: »
    After Naomi Watts storming out, I'm not surprised. Kermode would have ripped Nicole a new hole.

The weird thing was that Naomi Watts walked out after being asked a very uncontroversial question. I think it was something like "did you have Clarence House's blessing to film there?". To the listener it sounded like she knew the film was dire and simply couldn't bring herself to talk about it any longer.
  • Options
    LyricalisLyricalis Posts: 57,958
    Forum Member
    jules1000 wrote: »
    A lot of people suggested that January Jones play Grace Kelly, or even Scarlett Johannson, both better for the role I think.

Both pretty decent actors with the right directors.

I just saw the trailers and thought Chick Flick. As I'm neither a women or dating one, it has absolutely no interest for me.
  • Options
    newkid30newkid30 Posts: 7,797
    Forum Member
    I think part of Nicole's problem is that she has had so much plastic surgery that her face does not move, and it has really effected her acting.
    Pity because she was once a good actress.
    In saying that, I did like her performance in Rabbit Hole from a few years back.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    There does seem to be a little bit of a trend in casting actors who totally wrong for playing real life people

Jennifer Hudson as Winnie Mandela
    Ashton Kutcher as Steve Jobs
    Lindsey Lohan as Liz Taylor
    Naomi Watts as Princess Diana

All were dreadful
  • Options
    Fibromite59Fibromite59 Posts: 22,518
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I went to see it today and enjoyed it, although I certainly wouldn't say it was great by any means, and I enjoyed Diana better.

The thing I found disappointing was that it stopped in 1963. I would have liked it to go on up to her death as it was such a shock at the time. I remember it being on the news one night saying that Princess Grace had been in a car accident and had broken her leg. Then the next morning, I picked up the newspaper from the door mat and on the front there was a picture of Grace, with the words Princess Grace Dead in big letters. It all seemed a bit unbelieveable.