IKEA - how do you pronounce it?

TrollHunterTrollHunter Posts: 12,496
Forum Member
✭✭
I've always pronounced it eye-key-er but listening to an advert on the radio, the Swedish sounding chap pronounces it ee-key-er.
Someone I know pronounces it icky-er, but that just sounds silly.

How about you?

Comments

• rupert_pupkinrupert_pupkin Posts: 3,975
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I pronounce it the way English people pronounce it, as with most things. I don't pronounce Citroen the way French people do or Apple the way Americans do
  • dee123dee123 Posts: 46,268
    Forum Member
    i-key-a ?
  • TrollHunterTrollHunter Posts: 12,496
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I pronounce it the way English people pronounce it, as with most things. I don't pronounce Citroen the way French people do or Apple the way Americans do

Which is?
    And how do Americans pronounce Apple!?
  • TheGreatKatsbyTheGreatKatsby Posts: 461
    Forum Member
    Eye-key-ah
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Which is?
    And how do Americans pronounce Apple!?

I've only ever heard people say eye-key-er

And have you never heard an American say apple?
  • ElanorElanor Posts: 13,326
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I think the current set of adverts is trying to change the way British people pronounce the name. I've always said eye-key-a, like most other people I know, but I was aware that in Sweden and much of the rest of Europe, it's i-kay-a, like the advert. So I can only assume they're trying to get it into the general consciousness that that's the 'right' way.
  • Toby LaRhoneToby LaRhone Posts: 12,916
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I usually say
    "Fer - kin - nite - mare".
  • jjwalesjjwales Posts: 48,572
    Forum Member
    Elanor wrote: »
    I think the current set of adverts is trying to change the way British people pronounce the name. I've always said eye-key-a, like most other people I know, but I was aware that in Sweden and much of the rest of Europe, it's i-kay-a, like the advert. So I can only assume they're trying to get it into the general consciousness that that's the 'right' way.

Rather like Nestlé then. Used to rhyme with "wrestle", but now the French pronunciation is gaining ground.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    jjwales wrote: »
    Rather like Nestlé then. Used to rhyme with "wrestle", but now the French pronunciation is gaining ground.

That's always been ness-lay for me
    Forum Member
    That's always been ness-lay for me

You are probably from the younger generation then!
  • Pumping IronPumping Iron Posts: 29,891
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Eye key ya
  • ChopanChopan Posts: 535
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Aye-key-a
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 8,916
    Forum Member
    oh kay yah

Apologies, I'm getting mixed up with Harvey Nicholls.
  • RebelScumRebelScum Posts: 16,008
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    dee123 wrote: »
    i-key-a ?

Some sense at last.
  • TheSilentFezTheSilentFez Posts: 11,103
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

The acute accent on the "e" means it's pronounced "Nest-lay", even in English. Since when did people pronounce it "Nestil"?
  • stoatiestoatie Posts: 78,106
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Doesn't it go "eye-key-ah, my Lord, eye-key-ah, eye-key-ah, my Lord, eye-key-ah, eye-key-ah, my Lord, eye-key-ah, oh Lord, eye-key-ah"?
    Forum Member
    The acute accent on the "e" means it's pronounced "Nest-lay", even in English. Since when did people pronounce it "Nestil"?

More like "Nessl". This was the usual pronunciation (and used by the company itself in the UK) back in the 1950s/1960s and possibly later. Gosh, I'm feeling old now!
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    More like "Nessl". This was the usual pronunciation (and used by the company itself in the UK) back in the 1950s/1960s and possibly later. Gosh, I'm feeling old now!

Yeah, the Milky Bar Kid even used to pronounce it "Nestle" (as in the verb) even though the accent was there.
  • mac2708mac2708 Posts: 3,349
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

I am old enough to remember that until the 60's the generally accepted pronunciation was 'Nessell'
  • myssmyss Posts: 16,527
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Eye-key-ah
    Me too.
    I usually say
    "Fer - kin - nite - mare".
    :D:D
    Forum Member
    stoatie wrote: »
    Yeah, the Milky Bar Kid even used to pronounce it "Nestle" (as in the verb) even though the accent was there.

It was always "Nessels" with an S on the end though.
  • bluebladeblueblade Posts: 88,859
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I've always said "eye key er"
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    It was always "Nessels" with an S on the end though.

That's true. It was always in the context of "Nestle's Milky Bar", so it had a possessive "s".
  • TrollHunterTrollHunter Posts: 12,496
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    And have you never heard an American say apple?

Probably, but not so I've noticed. But now I'm intrigued. How does it differ?
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 5,692
    Forum Member
    /aɪˈkiːə/. Innit.