Madonna - Retire, and give away some of your millions.

SteganStegan Posts: 5,039
Forum Member
I wish Madonna would retire. I Enjoyed her musical output in the early years, and felt she was spirited and had attitude, without being irritating or unbearable.

Now it's a different story. I think she has turned into one of the most obnoxious, manipulative and deeply unpleasant woman in the music industry. In interviews she seems right up her own rectum ! Full of her own self importance, smug and deluded beyond belief. That slow, measured American drawl..........really grates on me. Does she really talk to Guy like that ?

It's a pity she did'nt just fade away in the 80's, as many often do, never to be heard from again.

She's worth in excess of £200,OOO,OOO, yet she's now into writing children's books for pity's sake. Even with the acting, she won't give in gracefully and admit she just can't hack it as an actress. Her gargantuan ego get's the better of her, time, and time again.

Then there is the Malawi adoption thing ? What is all that about ? More attention and publicity seeking I would imagine. Then we have the wierd religion connection. I could go on. No doubt your many fans will say you can do no wrong, misguided, gullible fools that they are.

Do us a favour, move aside, and give it up. Your too old to be flaunting your body in the way you do anyway. Its unseamly and embarrasing, no matter how much excercising you do. How much longer is she going to go on ? Are we eventually going to see the Madonna - knocking on - but up for it even at 70 tour?

Enough, retire disgracefully. Allow someone new to emerge. Also, please tell your husband to stop abusing that celluloid with his rubbish films. I've got an idea, why not buy your own desert island, and both retire too it. That would be a kind and benevolent act by the pair of you.

And one final thing. You and the rest of the music industry stop with the begging me for money routine, for this, that and the other.

Put together, you and a few of your very rich, famous mates could solve many of ther world's problems by doing one simple thing - DIP INTO YOUR OWN BANK ACCOUNTS AND START DONATING SOME OF YOUR MILLIONS TO SAVE THE WORLD. Now that would be impressive. I could forgive you a lot for doing that.

Comments

• codacoda Posts: 5,337
    Forum Member
    Ooh a hate thread. Nice... :yawn:

Same old cliches - ageist, uninformed crap.

Get used to it. Madonna ain't going anywhere.
  • glyn9799glyn9799 Posts: 7,391
    Forum Member
    these hate threads piss me off :mad:. You don't like her, millions of others do. Get over it :rolleyes:
  • markymidsmarkymids Posts: 1,739
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    LMAO funniest thread of the day. :D

I love how people always come out with the "oh she should retire", "she's too old" lines... why should she retire when she's the most successful popstar in the world.. would you? I know I wouldn't. :confused:

And she's a businesswoman, why would she give away her money? Do you think Bill Gates, or Oprah Winfrey would give away their money (and both of them are FAR richer than Madonna is).

When she stops selling out shows around the world, and she stops having number 1 records and albums perhaps then she'll throw in the towel, but that's not gonna happen anytime soon. She has the world's number 1 single and album at the moment, and her song is topping the UK charts for the fourth consecutive week.. as someone else rightly said, she's here to stay.. I for one can't wait to see what the next 10 years will bring under her new Live Nation contract. :D
  • pabs1904pabs1904 Posts: 4,036
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    glyn9799 wrote: »
    You don't like her, millions of others do.
    And millions don't, more millions probably don't than do!

I do like her by the way, devils advocate and all that!
  • RadiomaniacRadiomaniac Posts: 43,510
    Forum Member
    I don't care that Madonna is nearing 50, that's neither here nor there to me. But certain things about her annoy me.

1) Her insistance in trying to show us her privates at every opportunity. Put it away, woman. We know you've got one, you've been showing your crotch for around 25 years now, but it's not necessary now you're famous. It makes you look like a hooker.

2) She's just no good at live performance now. Either dance or sing. Doing both at once makes her sound wobbly and off-key.

3) P-l-e-a-s-e stop 'playing' the guitar! I'm rarely embarrassed for an artist - yesterday on TV, I had to watch her through my fingers. It was dreadful, just looked completely wrong and sounded awful. Any 'good' notes that came out were from the proper guitarist standing on the side!
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    pabs1904 wrote: »
    And millions don't, more millions probably don't than do!
    No artist is loved by everyone though :confused:
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Her insistance in trying to show us her privates at every opportunity. Put it away, woman. We know you've got one, you've been showing your crotch for around 25 years now, but it's not necessary now you're famous. It makes you look like a hooker.

Correct me if I'm wrong.. but she hasn't shown her vajayjay since the Body of Evidence film which was like 15 years ago. :confused:
  • RadiomaniacRadiomaniac Posts: 43,510
    Forum Member
    markymids wrote: »
    Correct me if I'm wrong.. but she hasn't shown her vajayjay since the Body of Evidence film which was like 15 years ago. :confused:

Not her actual noonoo, but she shows her be-knickered crotch at every chance she gets, with legs akimbo!
  • iainiain Posts: 63,929
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Stegan wrote: »
    Put together, you and a few of your very rich, famous mates could solve many of ther world's problems by doing one simple thing - DIP INTO YOUR OWN BANK ACCOUNTS AND START DONATING SOME OF YOUR MILLIONS TO SAVE THE WORLD. Now that would be impressive. I could forgive you a lot for doing that.

what makes you think she doesn't?

she had, for example, quietly been donating a lot to orphaniges in Malawi well before the adoption thing.

what do you expect - her to hold a press conference to announce her every charitable donation?

and if she did do that, how long would it be before you were accusing her of attention seeking?

Iain
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 40,102
    Forum Member
    She should stop making music.

I watched her performance for Radio 1's Big Weekend and it was pretty crap. Fair enough the stage was excellent, but I wonder how much input she had to that? Her voice is terrible live.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 957
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Shes current;y having more sucess than she ever had before, so there is no valid reason for her even to consider retiring. 'Hung up' was he biggest selling song of her career, and '4 minutes' is having the joint longest run at the top of the charts (shared with 'Vogue' in 1990) of 4 weeks- she may even last longer, making it her longest ever run at the top.

I dont know what her single or album sales are like, but i know that they are pretty decent at least, so there is no justifiable reason for her to retire.

Also, about her riches thing- its not really any of our business what she does with her money, as she has earned it with her music and can spend it how she likes
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 40,102
    Forum Member
    I give her credit for being a good business woman. She knows what sells so she does it. I'm not sure of this goes for her earlier career, but it definitely does for her current one.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,649
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    markymids wrote: »
    Do you think Bill Gates, or Oprah Winfrey would give away their money (and both of them are FAR richer than Madonna is).

Off topic but on wiki and if you google it
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bill_gates#Philanthropy
    Wiki wrote:
    According to a 2004 Forbes magazine article, Gates gave away over $29 billion to charities from 2000 onwards.
  • iainiain Posts: 63,929
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    given that most people probably donate some money to various charities, i never understand why people seem to assume that famous people don't.

Iain
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,662
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Mick Jagger is way older than Madge! No calls for him to retire and give away his money!

Females should be entitled to longevity in show business too! Tis not exclusively for the men!
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Chip_chip wrote: »
    Off topic but on wiki and if you google it
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bill_gates#Philanthropy
    Madonna gives money to charity too (she gave millions to a Malawi orphanage recently) and I'm sure Oprah does.

I didn't mean none of them give any money to charity - but the original poster made it sound like Madonna doesn't do anything for charity, which isn't the case.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 106
    Forum Member
    Eh, it's kind of irritating when people try to dictate what others should do with their money. Madonna does not have to give away some of her money if she doesn't want to. She made that money so she could do what she likes.

Also I don't see why she should stop making music. There is still a demand for her and if she enjoys what she does then good for her. I don't see people calling for Elton John and all these old rockers to retire ( as somebody here already mentioned). I think its just sexism really. If your a 50 year old woman then you have no buisness being in the music industry yet nobody cares when its a guy?
  • SteganStegan Posts: 5,039
    Forum Member
    SophiaL wrote: »
    Eh, it's kind of irritating when people try to dictate what others should do with their money. Madonna does not have to give away some of her money if she doesn't want to. She made that money so she could do what she likes.

Also I don't see why she should stop making music. There is still a demand for her and if she enjoys what she does then good for her. I don't see people calling for Elton John and all these old rockers to retire ( as somebody here already mentioned). I think its just sexism really. If your a 50 year old woman then you have no buisness being in the music industry yet nobody cares when its a guy?

Oh, ok. So it's alright for Madonna and Bob Geldoff to demand money from me during Live Aid ( Geldoff actually banged his fist on the table, for pity's sake ) but I am not then allowed to ask when and how much they are going to contribute ? Sounds a little hypocritical to me.

And please don't trot out the usual " they are giving up their time ". Listen, as has been said, they are business people, and most of them see Live Aid as a publicity opportunity to either re-promote themselves or their upcoming latest albums and concerts. People should get real on this.

Let's see them get their cheque books out, live on TV. They can then sing from the rooftops how much they are giving to the cause ( Pardon the pun ). They can boast and brag about it until they are blue in the face. You won't find me criticising or complaining about that - I'd be praising and applauding it.

It seems to me, they prefer to batter us constantly with shocking and upsetting images of death and starvation, rather than spare us that, by dipping into their own bulging bank accounts to ease the misery. Hardly fair is it ?
    Forum Member
    It seems to me, they prefer to batter us constantly with shocking and upsetting images of death and starvation, rather than spare us that, by dipping into their own bulging bank accounts to ease the misery. Hardly fair is it ?

How on earth do you know how much they give away to charities and causes. Do you have some sort of source which confirms your view they they don't?
  • TH14TH14 Posts: 11,719
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Why should she retire? She is in her prime now, she's not long set the record for highest grossing tour by a female ever and is at number 1 in the singles chart and her album has been a number 1 in loads of countries. She's as big a name now than she has ever been. People who don't like her don't like to hear that but it's true, she's one of the if not the most successful entertainer on the planet and has outlasted the likes of Prince and MJ whom she competed with back in the 80's
  • SteganStegan Posts: 5,039
    Forum Member
    How on earth do you know how much they give away to charities and causes. Do you have some sort of source which confirms your view they they don't?

Because if they were, they would'nt be begging the rest of us to cough up, would they. It's not rocket science. Think about it.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 53
    Forum Member
    Because if they were, they would'nt be begging the rest of us to cough up, would they. It's not rocket science. Think about it.

I wouldn't be launching any moonshots soon if I were you in that case.

It seems obvious to me that if someone is prepared to give their money to a cause they'd also be prepared to give their time to endorse it, and the charities would be begging them to do it as well. Why would one preclude the other?

Look at Bob Monkhouse. Still raising money for prostate cancer and he's dead.
    Forum Member

That is the most ridiculous post i've ever read. You are basically saying that anyone who does charity work shouldn't feel the need to endorse it and convince others to do the same. What a load of crap.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    That is the most ridiculous post i've ever read. You are basically saying that anyone who does charity work shouldn't feel the need to endorse it and convince others to do the same. What a load of crap.
    It's the second most ridiculous post I've ever read.. the first was Stegan's first post in this thread.

It doesn't even justify answering it, I can only conclude he must be lacking in the braincells department...
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,382
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

What a ridiculous post. You're just trying to wind people up aren't you? I'm hoping that your posts aren't serious!