Is there a Surround AMP / Receiver that can convert HDMI to Component v.v.?

Most of my existing equipment has component output and my projector has component input.
My surround receiver (Marantz SR5500) copes with all that but I now also have some stuff with HDMI output.
I bought a new receiver with 4 HDMI inputs and 1 HDMI output plus 2 component inputs and 1 component output.
After setting it all up I became aware that it is not capable of outputting the HDMI input to component output and vice versa.
Is this a common shortcoming of surround amps/receivers or are there boxes that are capable of doing what I would like?
Where can I find a database where I can enter that as a requirement and get a list of suitable machines?

Comments

• grahamlthompsongrahamlthompson Posts: 18,486
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I don't know of any AV amps that can do this. There are stand alone devices though. Google HD Fury 2

http://www.hdfury.com/docs/HDfury2manual.pdf
  • Nigel GoodwinNigel Goodwin Posts: 58,329
    Forum Member
    pfgreen wrote: »
    Is this a common shortcoming of surround amps/receivers or are there boxes that are capable of doing what I would like?

It's not a 'shortcoming', it's not something they are supposed to do.

The 'shortcoming' is your other equipment that doesn't have HDMI.

You need to update the rest of your antique equipment, and not just one part.

As suggested, an HD Fury 2 might help you out until you can afford to upgrade.
  • misarmisar Posts: 3,015
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    If you bought some of your new HDMI stuff to watch commercial HD material it may be as well to investigate content protection (HDCP) before you invest too much in converting to component.

I don't know how it works but everything in the chain to the final HD display has to be compliant and I doubt that applies to component equipment. Being compliant basically means preventing any HD copies or greatly restricting their number and use.
  • grahamlthompsongrahamlthompson Posts: 18,486
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    misar wrote: »
    If you bought some of your new HDMI stuff to watch commercial HD material it may be as well to investigate content protection (HDCP) before you invest too much in converting to component.

I don't know how it works but everything in the chain to the final HD display has to be compliant and I doubt that applies to component equipment. Being compliant basically means preventing any HD copies or greatly restricting their number and use.

HD fury converters are HDCP compliant.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 3
    Forum Member
    It's not a 'shortcoming', it's not something they are supposed to do.

The 'shortcoming' is your other equipment that doesn't have HDMI.

You need to update the rest of your antique equipment, and not just one part.

As suggested, an HD Fury 2 might help you out until you can afford to upgrade.

Thanks for that remark, Nigel.
    The trouble with that idea is, that I don't want to replace equipment that is still working satisfactorily just because I have one new item that can only be connected with HDMI. What I should perhaps have done is not buy that last new item, but it's a bit late for that consideration now.
    I think my second-best option is to get a 15m HDMI cable to connect the new surround AMP or receiver to the projector and use the component cable when watching material from the older equipment and the HDMI cable when watching material from the newer equipment.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 3
    Forum Member
    misar wrote: »

Thanks, misar.

I am not interested in creating copies of anything, just watching and listening to material that I have come by in a legal fashion.
  • Nigel GoodwinNigel Goodwin Posts: 58,329
    Forum Member
    Thanks for that remark, Nigel.
    The trouble with that idea is, that I don't want to replace equipment that is still working satisfactorily just because I have one new item that can only be connected with HDMI. What I should perhaps have done is not buy that last new item, but it's a bit late for that consideration now.

I think we're all probably guilty of trying to use old equipment with new? - but you've got to replace the old with new eventually, and it only causes problems trying to mix old obsolete gear with new ones.
  • misarmisar Posts: 3,015
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Thanks, misar.

I am not interested in creating copies of anything, just watching and listening to material that I have come by in a legal fashion.

You have just highlighted the problem with HDCP. The complexity resulting from an obsession with preventing copying causes inconvenience, expense and problems for those with no intention of doing any such thing. HDCP is designed to physically stop you watching HD material unless every component of your system is proven (by licensing and compliance) to bar HD copying except under strictly controlled conditions.

Good luck with your conversion but at the end of the day it may be less troublesome to take Nigel's advice and buy some new HDMI kit.
  • Chris FrostChris Frost Posts: 11,015
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I think we're all probably guilty of trying to use old equipment with new? - but you've got to replace the old with new eventually, and it only causes problems trying to mix old obsolete gear with new ones.
    The idea of ditching perfectly good hi-end equipment is a bit of a non-starter for some people. I have several customers with top-of-the-range 9" CRT projectors that knock spots off £10K+ digitals. HDCP strippers like the Furys, Moome cards, Eisemann modifications and similar are invaluable tools. Adding these devices isn't such a big problem as you might imagine.