Options

Issues Arising from the End Of Doctor Who Season 6

MediaMattersMediaMatters Posts: 377
Forum Member
:) Now a few nuggets left over @ the end of Season 6 I've been chewing over since re-watching the finale last week...

(1.) Eleven definitely seems less inclined towards romance than Ten. He has to be coaxed into it, even telling River that he didn't want to marry her! [Though, I suppose, technically she married the Tesselecta!] Emphasize the distance he's travelled from his Tenth incarnation? Something he learnt after the harrowing experiences of Martha and Donna? "Stand too close and people get burnt" Though, I'll admit that the Doctor in whatever guise is more of a Space Bachelor, even with Rose, Sometimes in the dialogue between #9/#10 and Rose, I wondered if Rose would do more of the declarations of affection and running in that relationship while the Doctor's intentions were left deliberately ambiguous?!

(2.) Amy's story-arc as much involved her memories as Donna's was about having her mind wiped.

(c.) I was surprisingly unmoved towards Madam Kovarian's fate when Amy exacted her retribution finally. I could only root for Agent Pond, Amelia Pond :D after everything she had put mother & daughter through...& the kick-a$$ way she took down the Silence :cool: Never underestimate a mother when her child's in danger! ;) But I wonder what that says about me that I would react that way? :eek: :confused: In my defence, she kidnapped & imprisoned our heroine for months (plus it was an aborted timeline), and Melody's early years were effectively abuse in a manner of speaking.
It reminded me of how Craig resisted the Cyber-conversion when he heard Alfie's cries in 'Closing Time': some parents will do anything for their kids & it will give them super-human strength to do it!

(iv) My admiration for Rory Williams has only ever grown. He seems completely selfless [well, he is a Nurse! :)] & totally devoted to Amy.

(v.) The Doctor at times really REALLY doesn't like himself much! He seems a touch hard on himself sometimes. :cry:

(f.) If Demon's Run was the height of the Doctor's success, then Lake Silencio was the hardest of falls. The second-half of the season seemed to chart the Doctor's unrelenting fall from swash-buckling hero who always saves the day to a lonely pariah in exile.

(7.) Never play the Doctor at chess! ;)

...What say you? Have I read the season ALL wrong?

Comments

• Options
    Whovian1109Whovian1109 Posts: 1,812
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    :) Now a few nuggets left over @ the end of Season 6 I've been chewing over since re-watching the finale last week...

(1.) Eleven definitely seems less inclined towards romance than Ten. He has to be coaxed into it, even telling River that he didn't want to marry her! [Though, I suppose, technically she married the Tesselecta!] Emphasize the distance he's travelled from his Tenth incarnation? Something he learnt after the harrowing experiences of Martha and Donna? "Stand too close and people get burnt" Though, I'll admit that the Doctor in whatever guise is more of a Space Bachelor, even with Rose, Sometimes in the dialogue between #9/#10 and Rose, I wondered if Rose would do more of the declarations of affection and running in that relationship while the Doctor's intentions were left deliberately ambiguous?!

(2.) Amy's story-arc as much involved her memories as Donna's was about having her mind wiped.

(c.) I was surprisingly unmoved towards Madam Kovarian's fate when Amy exacted her retribution finally. I could only root for Agent Pond, Amelia Pond :D after everything she had put mother & daughter through...& the kick-a$$ way she took down the Silence :cool: Never underestimate a mother when her child's in danger! ;) But I wonder what that says about me that I would react that way? :eek: :confused: In my defence, she kidnapped & imprisoned our heroine for months (plus it was an aborted timeline), and Melody's early years were effectively abuse in a manner of speaking.
    It reminded me of how Craig resisted the Cyber-conversion when he heard Alfie's cries in 'Closing Time': some parents will do anything for their kids & it will give them super-human strength to do it!

(iv) My admiration for Rory Williams has only ever grown. He seems completely selfless [well, he is a Nurse! :)] & totally devoted to Amy.

(v.) The Doctor at times really REALLY doesn't like himself much! He seems a touch hard on himself sometimes. :cry:

(f.) If Demon's Run was the height of the Doctor's success, then Lake Silencio was the hardest of falls. The second-half of the season seemed to chart the Doctor's unrelenting fall from swash-buckling hero who always saves the day to a lonely pariah in exile.

1) Agreed and I like that about 11, you can see that throughout series 5

2) Poor Donna :( at least Amy gets a happy ending (that we know of)

3) I hated the end of Closing Time and as much as I didn't feel sorry for Madam Kovarian, I felt a chill up my spine, Amy's supposed to be the good guy...

4) I love Rory as a character but I like Amy's character less when he's around. Tricky...

5) When you're as old as the Doctor is, you're bound to rack up the self-loathing, just like most selfless people.

6) I didn't like the idea of: "Rising higher and falling so much further". An unnecessary and frankly wrong superlative.

7) That's just a give-un xD
  • Options
    Granny McSmithGranny McSmith Posts: 19,622
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

I like your numbering system. It reminds me of someone else's; I can't just think who.....:D

I agree with all your points, except c/iii/3. Well, I agree with that as well, except I was cheering Amy on without a qualm. This was the woman who stole her baby - she deserved everything she got.
  • Options
    MediaMattersMediaMatters Posts: 377
    Forum Member
    :) Good to hear from you! Just my two-penny worth about the end of Series 6.

Just 1 addition: I wonder if romancing River is to defuse her as a weapon in the same way that they defused Bracewell in 'Victory of the Daleks'?
  • Options
    johnnysaucepnjohnnysaucepn Posts: 6,775
    Forum Member
    :) Good to hear from you! Just my two-penny worth about the end of Series 6.

Just 1 addition: I wonder if romancing River is to defuse her as a weapon in the same way that they defused Bracewell in 'Victory of the Daleks'?

I don't think they needed to - by indoctrinating her into obsessing over the Doctor, they actually made her into a fan. She ended up defusing herself!
  • Options
    Dennis CDennis C Posts: 1,716
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    You forgot the best bit - from Dorium Maldovar

"Doctor Who? Doctor WHO? DOCTOR WHO?"
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,155
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Dennis C wrote: »
    You forgot the best bit - from Dorium Maldovar

"Doctor Who? Doctor WHO? DOCTOR WHO?"

Shouldn't that be MOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO um sorry, WHOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!?!:o