Doctor Who "Will Take Over Television In 2013"" Says Moffat

Comments

• nydernyder Posts: 980
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Shoppy wrote: »
    So .... regarding the thread title and Moff's comments...

It ain't just gonna be 8 + anniversary + xmas is it?

You don't ''take over 2013'' with 9 episodes.

I believe that is all we're going to get. :(

It looks like we'll simply get lots of Doctor Who 'related/themed' programmes. ie gameshows etc.... followed by Moffat telling us he 'told us so.'

Although the occasional 'themed' programme is OK, especially the coming Gatiss docudrama, I probably won't bother with most of them. They don't replace the episodes we'll be missing out on and they won't be programmes I'd watch anyway.
  • johnnysaucepnjohnnysaucepn Posts: 6,775
    Forum Member
    nyder wrote: »
    They don't replace the episodes we'll be missing out on and they won't be programmes I'd watch anyway.

You can't 'miss out on' something that was never made.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    You can't 'miss out on' something that was never made.

:confused:

Of course you can!

Surely my post can't have been too difficult for you to understand.

Of course you can't miss what you've never had. So if you had never tried chocolate you could never say your missing it.

However you can "miss/miss out on" something your used to /used to having. So I could claim that we'd usually have 13 episodes in a calendar year but this coming year there will be only 8, therefore we will be missing out on 5 episodes.

(oh and I do realise that you're attempting to be sarcastic.)
    Forum Member
    Of course you can't miss what you've never had. So if you had never tried chocolate you could never say your missing it.

If someone is handing out chocolate, you can say that you missed out on getting any. But if you've been given all the chocolate that there is, you can hardly say you're missing out. You're perfectly entitled to feel that you should be getting as much chocolate as you want, but I would just call that being greedy.
    (oh and I do realise that you're attempting to be sarcastic.)
    I'm not. I'm not sure how that could even been read as sarcasm.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    If someone is handing out chocolate, you can say that you missed out on getting any. But if you've been given all the chocolate that there is, you can hardly say you're missing out. You're perfectly entitled to feel that you should be getting as much chocolate as you want, but I would just call that being greedy.

Hardly the same thing. I suggest you re-read my explanation again. (maybe slowly)
    I'm not. I'm not sure how that could even been read as sarcasm.

Because you obviously didn't agree with my opinion, but instead of offering an alternative opinion with some reasoning you opted to attempt to be pedantic about my language. (Which you were wrong about anyway)
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,175
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    :cool:guys its xmas and lighten up, the end of world isnt here yet and neither is 2013 or november , i am looking foorward to moff's xmas treat and richard e grant 's performance ax oh and jennie
    Forum Member
    Hardly the same thing. I suggest you re-read my explanation again. (maybe slowly)
    I understood perfectly. I disagree with your interpretation and sense of entitlement. That point remains, regardless of how patronising you attempt to be.
    Because you obviously didn't agree with my opinion, but instead of offering an alternative opinion with some reasoning you opted to attempt to be pedantic about my language. (Which you were wrong about anyway)
    Offering an alternative opinion is exactly what I did. It doesn't resemble sarcasm in any shape or form.
  • davrosdodebirddavrosdodebird Posts: 8,692
    Forum Member
    tinny wrote: »
    :cool:guys its xmas and lighten up, the end of world isnt here yet and neither is 2013 or november , i am looking foorward to moff's xmas treat and richard e grant 's performance ax oh and jennie

Listen to this everybody. Please?
  • Residents FanResidents Fan Posts: 9,204
    Forum Member
    If "Doctor Who" takes over TV in 2013, maybe he could drop Simon Cowell
    and Jeremy Clarkson into a black hole? ;)
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Offering an alternative opinion is exactly what I did. It doesn't resemble sarcasm in any shape or form.

No you didn't! You made an, incorrect, comment on my use of English. There was no alternative opinion offered.

What was your alternative opinion? That :-

- there will be more than 8 episodes and 2 specials?
    - there will only be 8 episodes and 2 specials and we don't deserve any more?
    - there will be only 8 episodes and 2 specials and we should be glad of it?
    - the world ends tomorrow and the whole discussion is irrelevant anyway?

OK, so maybe not the last one. Anyway, that should let the thread return to it's original discussion.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 3,772
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Guy's just because one guy has been banned for being a bit of a prat, it doesn't mean there's a vacancy for the position!
    Forum Member
    No you didn't! You made an, incorrect, comment on my use of English. There was no alternative opinion offered.
    No, I made comment on the sentiment you expressed. Whether or not it was the sentiment you intended to express is your problem, not mine.
    - there will be only 8 episodes and 2 specials and we should be glad of it?
    Take out the words 'only' and 'and we should be glad of it' and you're getting closer. If it weren't for having eight episodes, we'd be getting nothing at all. There is no promise to have thirteen episodes in a given calendar year, nor any reason to believe that calendar years are at all significant.

If there's eight episodes and two specials, then that's what it is. We are only gaining, not losing.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Take out the words 'only' and 'and we should be glad of it' and you're getting closer. If it weren't for having eight episodes, we'd be getting nothing at all. There is no promise to have thirteen episodes in a given calendar year, nor any reason to believe that calendar years are at all significant.

If there's eight episodes and two specials, then that's what it is. We are only gaining, not losing.

Ahhh, back on topic.

I'm afraid that I'm more of a glass half empty kind of guy.
    Forum Member
    So, at the moment,is the evidence is that there will be 8 DW eps and 2 specials
    in 2013?
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I just think going with that argument is like saying that between 1990 and 2004 we had one episode of Doctor Who, but hey that's better than none so we were gaining.

I don't know what all that fuss back then was about.:confused:
    Forum Member
    So far yes.
  • Bruce WayneBruce Wayne Posts: 5,326
    Forum Member
    Ahhh, back on topic.

I'm afraid that I'm more of a glass half empty kind of guy.

No matter how you look at it, it's still better then 2009. IMO of course.
    Forum Member
    Guy's just because one guy has been banned for being a bit of a prat, it doesn't mean there's a vacancy for the position!

So much win in this post :D
    Forum Member
    I agree with the idea that as no alternative to the current broadcastiong situation was seriously proposed let alone implimented, we've missed out on nothing. Things are the way they are, so there's no point mourning 5 imaginary episodes that were never going to happen. As johnny said we are only gaining episodes, not losing.

Losing implies that the number of episodes in existence is shrinking, God forbid that ever happens! :eek:
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I agree with the idea that as no alternative to the current broadcastiong situation was seriously proposed let alone implimented, we've missed out on nothing. Things are the way they are, so there's no point mourning 5 imaginary episodes that were never going to happen. As johnny said we are only gaining episodes, not losing.

Losing implies that the number of episodes in existence is shrinking, God forbid that ever happens! :eek:

But we are losing out. The BBC had reduced the number of episodes in an anniversary year that we were promised more than ever before and 'we're gonna take over television'.
  • Sara_PeplowSara_Peplow Posts: 1,579
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Guess it depends on the quality of the episodes. We get to see him form a new relationship with his new companion. Don't know if there will be any chemistry or flirting going on.
    Would prefer it if he thought of Clara in a protective way rather then romantic. She can be like a little sister or even a daughter to him. Not a lover or another "wife". Might get a little weird maybe even akward. 50th year is suppose to be a mixture of the old and the new.He can't fully "move on" from the past for two very good reasons. First one he is still married to his now deceased freinds daughter. He has to wait for and deal with her return. River will probably try and put a brave face on it. However she has got to be just a little bit jealous that another woman is spending time with her husband when she can't. Plus Clara being younger will also hurt.Second he knows trenzalore is also going to rear its ugly head at some point. Allways have to pay the cosmic price.11 might end up alone again by the time it's all over.
    Forum Member
    So far yes.

So, if we count the specials as double, we get about
    11 eps next year. That's fine by me,especially if the eps are
    good- let's hope they bring the best writing for the
    show this time.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    So, if we count the specials as double, we get 12 eps
    next year. That's fine by me,especially if the eps are
    good- let's hope they bring the best writing for the
    show this time.

The anniversary is rumoured to be 90mins (nothing is actually confirmed regarding it). The Christmas specials are usually 60mins. So the specials equal 3.25 episodes which you argue takes the episode count up to 11.25. However the Christmas special has always been separate to the 13 series.
    Forum Member
    But we are losing out. The BBC had reduced the number of episodes in an anniversary year that we were promised more than ever before and 'we're gonna take over television'.

An Anniversary year where we still don't know every single detail because the BBC never fix their schedules this far in advance. What we're given always amounts to more Who because we get new episodes on top of the 789 we've had thus far. By the end of next year, we'll have had 800 episodes of Who altogether.

800>789.
    Forum Member
    The anniversary is rumoured to be 90mins (nothing is actually confirmed regarding it). The Christmas specials are usually 60mins. So the specials equal 3.25 episodes which you argue takes the episode count up to 11.25. However the Christmas special has always been separate to the 13 series.

I wouldn't be surprised if the recession is responsible for lopping one or two eps off the DW list over the last few years.