Wi-Fi Printer help

Good Morning

Hoping someone might be able to help me with this.

I bought an Epson XP-202 Wi Fi printer several years ago and connected it successfully to my laptop.

About a year ago I decided to purchase a Samsung Chromebook (which I love) but since then have not been able to print unless the old laptop is switched on. If its switched off then the printer doesn't connect to the Chromebook but if its switched on, although the work I am printing is on the Chromebook the printer commands come through on the laptop! This wasn't a problem when the laptop was here with me - I just switched it on when I needed to and switched if off again afterwards and kept it by the side of the printer - but my daughter has the laptop now as she is in long term hospital care and needed something to play her films on, so now of course I am unable to print anything.

I've tried everything to get the Chromebook to print but nothing works, so I thought I'd purchase a printer cable. I'm assuming that if I plug it into the printer and then into the USB port on the Chromebook it should work but not being great with technology was hoping someone would be able to say yes or no.

Thanks.
HAPPY NEW YEAR

Comments

• oilmanoilman Posts: 4,529
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Have you installed the printer drivers on the chromebook? You may need updated drivers for a Chromebook.
    USB cable should work fine assuming drivers are installed correctly - PC should be connected to printer when installing drivers.
  • StigStig Posts: 12,446
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    From a Google search:

To print from your Chromebook to your new XP-202, you will need to use Google Cloud Print. That is really the only option based on the set up you have. Here's what you need to do...

1. Turn the XP-202 on and make sure its WiFi is enabled.
    2. Then, on your Chromebook, open your Chrome browser.
    3. Click the Chrome menu on the browser toolbar (looks like >>this<<).
    4. Select Settings.
    5. Click Show Advanced Settings.
    6. Scroll down to the "Google Cloud Print" section, then click Add Printers.
    7. If prompted, sign in with your Google account.
    8. Select the printer you want to connect, then click Add Printer(s).

Now your XP-202 should be associated with your Google account and connected to Google Cloud Print. You can print to this printer whenever you're signed in with the same Google account on your Chromebook.

Read more: http://www.justanswer.com/printers/7qphd-just-bought-xp-202-not-linked.html#ixzz3NV4rrjfz
  • 100andthirty100andthirty Posts: 445
    Forum Member
    I don't have a Chromebook, but don't think you can just "install a printer driver and plug in the printer". I googled and came up with the notion of Google Cloud Print and it's covered here:

http://www.google.com/cloudprint/learn/

I hope it helps.
  • noise747noise747 Posts: 30,691
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    it is all cloudy thing on Chromebook, just like Android. I set up a HP all in one on a Chromebook, but the problem is it do not use all the features. The scanner do not work as it should for a start, it does not like the auto feed, if it works at all.

i know that scanning on Chrome Os have only just started to be supported, but i think it should be better.

This is the problem with getting a machine that have Chrome OS on it.

thankfully the person who got the chrome Os laptop have also got normal desktop pc.