Torchwood - Episode 3: 'Ghost Machine' (BBC3, 29th Oct 2006)

Comments

• The_MasterThe_Master Posts: 2,638
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    cobaltmale wrote:
    Was there not some unpleasantness about the UN threatening to sue the BBC?

G

Pull the other one. :D
  • CorwinCorwin Posts: 16,602
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    cobaltmale wrote:
    Was there not some unpleasantness about the UN threatening to sue the BBC?

G

Not sure if they actually threatened to sue the BBC but yes they did say that they did not want the BBC to use the full name of UNIT or mention the UNITED NATIONS in connection with it.

The BBC are allowed to say UN or UNIT but nothing else.
  • snossissnossis Posts: 1,123
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Tell you what - old Blake looks like he'd have difficulty taking on the Federation these days with that midriff doesn't he!

Superb performance from Gareth Thomas though - thought Burn Gorman was great too.
  • MulettMulett Posts: 9,057
    Forum Member
    At the moment, the very good/excellent rating for the first three episodes are as follows:
    • 57% for episode 1
    • 48% for episode 2
    • 64% for episode 3
    That does seem pretty consistent with a general view across the forums here that episode 1 was a good start, and that episode 2 wasn't as good as episode 1. And that episode 3 was the best of the three.

Looks like its going in the right direction, anyway.
  • AcerBenAcerBen Posts: 21,320
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Well I enjoyed it but wasn't spectacular. It ain't as good as Doctor Who. But it's still worth watching.
  • AlrightmateAlrightmate Posts: 73,120
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Mulett wrote:
    I think I just proved that sarcasm is the lowest form of wit.

"...Mulett said sarcastically" :D
  • pickwickpickwick Posts: 25,739
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    ratings known yet?
    Overnights say 1,551,000 for the 10pm showing and another 140,000 for the 12.20 one, which I think is down on last week :( Still over 10% audience share which is damn good, and it was up against that We Love The Royle Family thing...
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,340
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    pickwick wrote:
    Overnights say 1,551,000 for the 10pm showing and another 140,000 for the 12.20 one, which I think is down on last week :( Still over 10% audience share which is damn good, and it was up against that We Love The Royle Family thing...

I think the 10pm time is a mistake. That number would probably have been higher if they had stuck to 9pm.
    Just my opinion.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Yoonix wrote:
    Well there are two different complaints about the accents. One: complaining purely because it's Welsh; and two: complaining because you didn't understand dialogue because of the Welsh accent of that particular actor. While "one" is plain ridiculous, "two" may be perfectly valid. I've experienced "two" and I have relatives in Wales and am pretty used to the accent. I do wonder how the US or Canada are going to cope though.

Three complaints:

My criticism based on what I've seen so far, is purely down to the quality of the Welsh actors which have been hired.
    If the main criteria for hiring them was that they were Welsh, and their acting ability was a minor consideration, then that wouldn't be a good thing in my book.
  • cobaltmalecobaltmale Posts: 21,119
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Three complaints:

My criticism based on what I've seen so far, is purely down to the quality of the Welsh actors which have been hired.
    If the main criteria for hiring them was that they were Welsh, and their acting ability was a minor consideration, then that wouldn't be a good thing in my book.

I gather Gareth Thomas is exempt from this?

G
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Mulett wrote:
    At the moment, the very good/excellent rating for the first three episodes are as follows:
    • 57% for episode 1
    • 48% for episode 2
    • 64% for episode 3
    That does seem pretty consistent with a general view across the forums here that episode 1 was a good start, and that episode 2 wasn't as good as episode 1. And that episode 3 was the best of the three.

Looks like its going in the right direction, anyway.

They sound like pretty fair ratings for overall scores.
    I can't speak for episode 3 yet though as I haven't seen it.

I do feel encouraged that there are more positive comments about this episode.
    I did suggest to people to stick with it and have faith in it as I had a feeling that episode 3 would be a turning point in quality for the series.

:)
  • pickwickpickwick Posts: 25,739
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Colin_F wrote:
    I think the 10pm time is a mistake. That number would probably have been higher if they had stuck to 9pm.
    Just my opinion.
    Yeah, possibly.

I missed the 10pm showing because my EPG got confused with the clocks going back, and I thought it was on at 11 :o
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    cobaltmale wrote:
    I gather Gareth Thomas is exempt from this?

G

Like I say...based on what I've seen so far.
    I haven't watched episode 3 yet.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Colin_F wrote:
    Just my opinion.

If you consider that it was up against that 'We love the Royle Family" that got very high ratings, then I'd say that Torchwood has pretty much held up very well, all things being relative.

I wouldn't be surprised if the Royle Family thing nicked around a million viewers from Torchwood or something.
    So bearing that in mind I don't think anybody could possibly expect Torchwood to perform much better than it did in these circumstances.
    Maybe it did even better than somebody might have expected going against the Royle Family show.

I predict a slight rise in viewers next week.
  • mossy2103mossy2103 Posts: 84,308
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    If you consider that it was up against that 'We love the Royle Family" that got very high ratings, then I'd say that Torchwood has pretty much held up very well, all things being relative.

I wouldn't be surprised if the Royle Family thing nicked around a million viewers from Torchwood or something.
    So bearing that in mind I don't think anybody could possibly expect Torchwood to perform much better than it did in these circumstances.
    Maybe it did even better than somebody might have expected going against the Royle Family show.

I predict a slight rise in viewers next week.
    and surely the real figures are when you add those of BBC3 and BBC2 together (as they are only a matter of days apart), a number might have elected a BBC2 viewing anyway.
  • daveyfsdaveyfs Posts: 1,468
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Well indeed, particularly those who don't have digital tv yet.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 5,102
    Forum Member
    mossy2103 wrote:
    and surely the real figures are when you add those of BBC3 and BBC2 together (as they are only a matter of days apart), a number might have elected a BBC2 viewing anyway.
    Well it's had two screenings already - how many screenings constitute the "real figures"? Add to that, repeat screenings will get repeat viewers to only further cloud matters. 1.7m sounds like episode two really put off an awful lot of viewers. Had they been interested they could easily have taped The Royle Family or whatever. Well, while we still have analogue most viewers could've taped it!
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 5,102
    Forum Member
    For comparison: 487 votes in Poll #1 (Episode 1), 440 in Poll #2, and so far 259 for Poll #3.
  • mossy2103mossy2103 Posts: 84,308
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Yoonix wrote:
    Well it's had two screenings already - how many screenings constitute the "real figures"? Add to that, repeat screenings will get repeat viewers to only further cloud matters. 1.7m sounds like episode two really put off an awful lot of viewers. Had they been interested they could easily have taped The Royle Family or whatever. Well, while we still have analogue most viewers could've taped it!
    I would have discounted the additional BBC3 screenings (on the vasis that few new viewers are likely to catch those when more convenient showings are available), my view would be that the main audience will be going for the initial screening on BBC3, or the Wednesday screening on BBC2. After all, many potential viewers may not have BBC3 anyway, and others (like myself) much prefer a clear, unDOGed screen.

Of course, the final figures should/would include timeshifts (and possibly repeat showings with a specified time interval), but for the purposes of a rough indication as to how it is doing, then it seems sensible to me to add together the figures for the 2 main showings. :)
  • daveacdaveac Posts: 487
    Forum Member
    and the use of flashbacks to spell out a not-very-complicated plot was pretty patronising (yes, we all know he said he was going to get run over out there, it was just a minute ago!).

I think this is done for the -stick your advert here - countries.

Cheers, daveac
  • performingmonkperformingmonk Posts: 20,086
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I liked Eve Myles more in this episode for some reason. In fact, I liked all of them more. Obviously the whole team is getting used to the show. I like that each episode we're getting little tidbits about Jack and how this is obviously going to build to the end of this series and then link to his appearance in Doctor Who next year.

I'm extremely impressed with this. People are complaining that having crime stories it might as well be The Bill, but you CAN'T forget that just about every other show of this nature is about crime stories and the drama is usually the main focus rather than the sci-fi. Look at The X-Files or Angel. Torchwood is in similar territory, and I'm very pleased about that. Gwen makes a good Welsh Scully!
  • union_jakunion_jak Posts: 4,835
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Whoops, I missed it as the Royle Family documentary was on :o
    I guess it'll be Wednesday for me then.

So was it a better episode than the second one?
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 414
    Forum Member
    I thought it was a great episode, a whole lot better than episode two.

About who's funding Torchwood - maybe the Royals do? Maybe a chunk of their budget goes on 'Other' and it all goes straight to Torchwood?
  • union_jakunion_jak Posts: 4,835
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Veay wrote:
    About who's funding Torchwood - maybe the Royals do? Maybe a chunk of their budget goes on 'Other' and it all goes straight to Torchwood?
    Well Queen Victoria did set it up, and the PM used them in the Christmas Special, so I'd say there are connections.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 161
    Forum Member
    Veay wrote:
    I thought it was a great episode, a whole lot better than episode two.

You've seen men in Black

who gets the patent money for velcro and zips? ;)