USB sockets on TV's, what are they for?

Hi all,

I havent got a link handy to a tv advert but when searching for different freeview tv's I've noticed some have a port for USB. Does this mean I could record a program on to a USB connected hard drive, and also play it back or what?

I'm not sure what the USB port is there for on the tv. Can any enlighten me.. thanks :-)

Comments

• GormondGormond Posts: 15,838
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Yeah some TVs such as the Panasonic Viera allow you to use the USB port for playing back video files and recording programs.
  • fastest fingerfastest finger Posts: 12,871
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    They can also be used for firmware upgrades I believe.
  • Nigel GoodwinNigel Goodwin Posts: 58,453
    Forum Member
    They can also be used for firmware upgrades I believe.

Yes, sometimes the USB socket is used for upgrades, othertimes there's an extra socket for doing them.
  • David (2)David (2) Posts: 20,632
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    transfer loads of JPGs to a usb memory stick using the PC and plug it into the tv with usb, and you can view the pictures on the screen.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 20
    Forum Member
    On the Sony Bravia ex503 The USB is for firmware updates and playing media such as, music, photos (something that it does particularly well) and playing videos. A USB memory stick does the job, or, in my case, I use my Nikon D80 to do the same thing. Also, a usb wifi dongle can be used, but sony make sure that you can only use their overpriced offering. No record facility through the usb.

On the whole, a very useful facility. Particularly so in my case, where I can show clients a selection of my photographic work on a 40inch screen in superb quality.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 139
    Forum Member
    for me.. usb is used to watch downloaded divx files on my tv

and well.. the picture quality from even a 350mb tv show is outstanding

:)
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 20
    Forum Member

Yup, I can get 3 hours or more out of a 4gig sd card using divx formatted video.
  • GormondGormond Posts: 15,838
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    for me.. usb is used to watch downloaded divx files on my tv

:)

DIVX isn't bad but it's nothing compared to the x264 .MKV that's available now.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 716
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Gormond wrote: »
    Yeah some TVs such as the Panasonic Viera allow you to use the USB port for playing back video files and recording programs.

Indeed it does. With the G20 you can use the EPG for a timed record or you can use the HD as a buffer so you can pause 'live' TV. Although in common with most things there are few drawbacks.
    1. Even though there are multiple tuners you can only record the same channel that you are watching. But it will record in standby mode with the screen off.

2. The HD is formatted and locked to the TV so you can't do anything with the recordings (yet) other than play them back.

There is enough power from the USB port to support a portable HD, I use an Iomega 320GB.
  • Anika HansonAnika Hanson Posts: 15,629
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Some of the usb ports on TV's can be hacked to allow playback of media on USB devices even if the ports were originally only made for service.