Options

2012 Classic Series DVD releases.

Comments

• Options
    TheophileTheophile Posts: 2,947
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    nyder wrote: »
    But they could simply release upscaled episodes on Blu-Ray boxsets using less discs. Don't put it past them. I've made it a point that once I had a story on DVD I wouldn't buy and DVD re-release (ie revisitations sort of thing) and I was really peeved when I had no choice in this when it came to 'Terror of the Autons'. But many people do. They re-buy what they already have. This has proved to the BBC that once the DVD collection is completed they can issue special Blu-Ray boxsets and we'll all rush out and buy them. The BBC are as bad as Lucas thinking we'll pay over and over again for the same thing.

Yes, yes, yes, Blu-Ray by Season Box Sets. :):):)

They have put out The Prisoner on a Blu-Ray Box Set. They have put out the original Twilight Zone series on season Blu-Ray Box Sets (and those were black-and-white and from the 1960's). Why not Doctor Who?
  • Options
    DS9DS9 Posts: 5,482
    Forum Member
    Theophile wrote: »
    Yes, yes, yes, Blu-Ray by Season Box Sets. :):):)

They have put out The Prisoner on a Blu-Ray Box Set. They have put out the original Twilight Zone series on season Blu-Ray Box Sets (and those were black-and-white and from the 1960's). Why not Doctor Who?

The Twilight Zone even in the 50s and 60s was filmed on 35mm and is therefore HD, same goes for 60s The Prisoner. Doctor Who was made in SD.
  • Options
    JCRJCR Posts: 24,076
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I would expect the only classic Who that can be converted to HD- the shot on 16mm Spearhead in Space- will be put out on bluray in the end.

There seems little advantage to putting anything else out.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    JCR wrote: »
    I would expect the only classic Who that can be converted to HD- the shot on 16mm Spearhead in Space- will be put out on bluray in the end.

First of all, there is the advantage of the greater capacity of Blu-Ray as a storage medium. Also, having the old seasons collected by seasons (especially in such a compact storage medium) would be great.

Secondly, due to the difference in NTSC and PAL, North American viewers would see an increase in the quality of the video because we could finally see all of the lines of video. :):):)
  • Options
    bigaltbigalt Posts: 1,928
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Alt Code Listings for anyone who is interested.

http://alt-codes.org/list/

Have fun
  • Options
    Forum Member

It can't be "converted" to HD. Either something is or isn't HD and Spearhead from Space isn't. The BBC says even the the higher resolution super16mm is still SD.

After the disappointing quality of the 16mm filmed Pride and Prejudice blu-ray the BBC said it won't release 16mm content on Blu-ray again.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    DS9 wrote: »
    It can't be "converted" to HD. Either something is or isn't HD and Spearhead from Space isn't. The BBC says even the the higher resolution super16mm is still SD.

After the disappointing quality of the 16mm filmed Pride and Prejudice blu-ray the BBC said it won't release 16mm content on Blu-ray again.

I've said this before here, but the 1974 The Texas Chain Saw Massacre is 16mm and looks good on blu ray, though I imagine there was more money for restoring that than there would be for Spearhead. In any case, the reason I think it will be released is they're going to run out of Dr Who stuff to release and will look to squeeze a few more pennys outta the fanbase. (Says he with the £24 convention edition of The Dæmons in front of him. Number 939/1000 baby! :))
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 776
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Any rough idea at what point this year Great Show will be released?
  • Options
    The_abbottThe_abbott Posts: 26,960
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    my copy of Dæmons came late darn it but watched the two documentaries so far.
  • Options
    steven1977steven1977 Posts: 3,968
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Apart from Death, Eden & the Ace Boxset whats left for this year?
  • Options
    Forum Member
    steven1977 wrote: »
    Apart from Death, Eden & the Ace Boxset whats left for this year?

Planet of Giants, The Greatest Show in the Galaxy. And I'm sure I'm forgetting something else....

/ The Reign of Terror. I'm sure The Reign of Terror is out this year.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 216
    Forum Member
    Says he with the £24 convention edition of The Dæmons in front of him. Number 939/1000 baby!

I got no.24/1000, which must mean that I was amongst the first lot of people to pre-order it and also serves as a reminder for how much I paid for it!
  • Options
    The GathererThe Gatherer Posts: 2,723
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I've said this before here, but the 1974 The Texas Chain Saw Massacre is 16mm and looks good on blu ray, though I imagine there was more money for restoring that than there would be for Spearhead. In any case, the reason I think it will be released is they're going to run out of Dr Who stuff to release and will look to squeeze a few more pennys outta the fanbase. (Says he with the £24 convention edition of The Dæmons in front of him. Number 939/1000 baby! :))

They will definitely get my pennies if they animate more missing episodes! If the cost of animation (together with other production / distribution costs) is less than the total revenue they receive it should be a no brainer. Let's hope "Reign of Terror" sells well.
  • Options
    sbeck201sbeck201 Posts: 137
    Forum Member
    DS9 wrote: »
    Planet of Giants, The Greatest Show in the Galaxy. And I'm sure I'm forgetting something else....

/ The Reign of Terror. I'm sure The Reign of Terror is out this year.

Krotons mid-2012.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I think that it looks like this:

The Reign of Terror
    Planet of Giants
    The Krotons
    Dragonfire
    The Happiness Patrol
    Nightmare of Eden
    The Greatest Show in the Galaxy
    Death to the Daleks

The Ambassadors of Death
    The Mind of Evil
    The Tenth Planet
    The Ice Warriors
    Terror of the Zygons
    Shada

I could be wrong and I could be missing something, but I think that that is the list.
  • Options
    Wayne814Wayne814 Posts: 1,722
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I think the Vengeance on Varos special edition is this year as well
  • Options
    CoalHillJanitorCoalHillJanitor Posts: 15,634
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Wayne814 wrote: »

Are they still doing that? I thought it was dropped.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Wayne814 wrote: »

I was skipping the special edition stuff with my list; I was simply concentrating on the currently unreleased materials. :):):)
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Put another way, here are the ones with dates:

Nightmare of Eden - UK:Out Now - US:5/8/12
    Dragonfire - UK: 5/7/12 - US:5/8/12,
    The Happiness Patrol - UK:5/7/12 - US:5/8/12
    Death to the Daleks - UK:6/18/12 - US:?

The ones in Preparation (probably 2012):

Terror of the Zygons
    The Reign of Terror
    Planet of Giants
    The Krotons

And the ones Still Waiting (probably 2013):

The Ambassadors of Death
    The Mind of Evil
    The Tenth Planet
    The Ice Warriors
    Shada

I would love to have Death to the Daleks drop into a mid-June slot here in the U.S. as well.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Audio commentary for The Krotons was put through the bbfc yesterday, presumably meaning it's the release after Death to the Daleks.

http://www.bbfc.co.uk/BVV095665/
  • Options
    CoalHillJanitorCoalHillJanitor Posts: 15,634
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Audio commentary for The Krotons was put through the bbfc yesterday, presumably meaning it's the release after Death to the Daleks.

http://www.bbfc.co.uk/BVV095665/

Love those Krotons. And there's the late great Philip Madoc to boot. :)
  • Options
    nebogipfelnebogipfel Posts: 8,375
    Forum Member
    Love those Krotons. And there's the late great Philip Madoc to boot. :)

I love the irony that the Krotons undoing
    was the soup. (spoiler tag a sixties plot detail? why not.)
  • Options
    DiscoPDiscoP Posts: 5,931
    Forum Member
    Does anyone know if there are any plans to reconstruct any other missing episodes with animation? Given that they are now working on Reign of Terror?

I guess other candidates for reconstruction would be Moonbase and The Underwater Menace, I'm sure there are others as well...
  • Options
    M@nterikM@nterik Posts: 6,982
    Forum Member
    Theophile wrote: »
    Put another way, here are the ones with dates:

Nightmare of Eden - UK:Out Now - US:5/8/12
    Dragonfire - UK: 5/7/12 - US:5/8/12,
    The Happiness Patrol - UK:5/7/12 - US:5/8/12
    Death to the Daleks - UK:6/18/12 - US:?

The ones in Preparation (probably 2012):

Terror of the Zygons
    The Reign of Terror
    Planet of Giants
    The Krotons

And the ones Still Waiting (probably 2013):

The Ambassadors of Death
    The Mind of Evil
    The Tenth Planet
    The Ice Warriors
    Shada

I would love to have Death to the Daleks drop into a mid-June slot here in the U.S. as well.

We know good old Babelcolour is working on colouring Mind of Evil part 1. He has said as much on Roobarbs. So it is definately in preparation.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    M@nterik wrote: »
    We know good old Babelcolour is working on colouring Mind of Evil part 1. He has said as much on Roobarbs. So it is definately in preparation.

That is strange; the UK list of "in preparation" on the official website doesn't contain Mind of Evil. :/

http://releases.doctorwhonews.net/index.php?filter=DVD

That is why I didn't have it on that list.