Options

What do I need to do this?

What do I need to do this?

This is the set-up I want to have:

In my summer house at the bottom of the garden its all hooked up for power
and I am in the process of putting a Cat 5 cable to it as its outside the wifi range at the house.

I want to have wifi in the summerhouse so I can just walk down the garden and my iphone will just pick up the
signal automatically once it leaves the range of the house wifi.
What do I need for this to work?

I already have a decent tv I can put down there but ideally I would like to have my DVD's ripped onto a device
so I can select a film to watch rather than having to go & get the dvd from the house. What do I need to do this and what is decent
software for ripping the dvd's?

Thanks for your help

S

Comments

• Options
    pjgpjg Posts: 223
    Forum Member
    use Cat6 cable for future proofing, if it's not too late, to save you having to dig up the garden again or having to pull through other cables later

you could lay two or three cables, to really cover yourself for future capacity, or if one fails, or to use to send hdmi over ethernet

DVD43 and Handbrake are the two pieces of (free) software you need
  • Options
    c4rvc4rv Posts: 29,621
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    As mentioned, use Cat6 if possible and if you are going to the trouble of putting in one connection, you might as well do several.

As for wifi, any wireless access point should do the trick but I would looking for wireless-N and potentially dual band. You might also consider getting a switch so you can hard wire multiple devices.

For ripping your movies, something like Freemake Video convertor, is free, simple to use and produces decent enough results. You could consider something like a NAS device for storing all your movies. Then to playback assuming your TV cannot playback from the network, either a DNLA compatible blu-ray player (your NAS would need to be DNLA compatible), network streamer like WD Live, a media centre PC (which would be my choice) or PS3 or X360.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2
    Forum Member
    Great thanks for that :-)