How to unblock a toilet?

2»

Comments

• [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 822
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I find this is an excellent tool for toilet blockages (not drain blockages):

http://www.transtools.co.uk/store/prod_7631/plumbing-tools/pipe-cleaning/rothenberger-ropump-super-plus-drain-and-toilet-unblocker.html

Its basically a huge syringe, you put it in the water, suck up the water, push it into the u bend and then pump - works every time for me. You can buy them for £60-£70 or you can hire them from an HSS hire shop for about £14 for the day.
  • burton07burton07 Posts: 10,871
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    ajt1971 wrote: »
    I find this is an excellent tool for toilet blockages (not drain blockages):

http://www.transtools.co.uk/store/prod_7631/plumbing-tools/pipe-cleaning/rothenberger-ropump-super-plus-drain-and-toilet-unblocker.html

Its basically a huge syringe, you put it in the water, suck up the water, push it into the u bend and then pump - works every time for me. You can buy them for £60-£70 or you can hire them from an HSS hire shop for about £14 for the day.

Ha Ha! The site is called Transtools. D'ye geddit? Tran Stools.:D:D:D
  • SystemSystem Posts: 2,096,970
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    We have problems with the drains outside often. WHen I moved in the drain was clogged with disposable nappies from the previous owner. Would have cost me a fortune to have it cleared. But next door who share the drain are council tennents, so any problems I get them to phone so it's done for free
  • Sun_BeamSun_Beam Posts: 11,600
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    We've had a lot of trouble with a blocked toilet over the years and tried all the mentioned tricks - prodding the blocked paper with a coat hanger - and when we didnt have one, my dad used a branch he found outside and prodded it with that! :D Most of the time, depending on the blockage, we just flush a few times and hope for the best, if not, just flush, leave it go down slowly, and flush again. If it fails to go down then, we just empty some cold water down hard and quick, and that normally clears it and out see it all rushing down making a hell of a noise in the process - but it's great as there's no real water left in the toilet, and it looks very clean. I'm ultra careful these days and flush a few times as not to get it blocked!
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 8,783
    Forum Member
    DEmmerson wrote: »
    Go and get some One-STop from a hardware store. More potent than Mr Muscle as it is acid. Will be fine on Porcelain.

Just remember to open the windows first, apply it and retreat for the said time.

It should dissolve any blockage as it is sulphric acid.

AND WEAR GLOVES.

I used this recently. Worked a treat!
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 155
    Forum Member
    I used this recently. Worked a treat!

Surely it would burn the pan? I was going to buy it but Im a private renter and dont wish to destroy the toilet!

Its still blocked, Ive poured bleach down..
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 8,415
    Forum Member
    you can pour as much bleach as you want down it , it aint going to help , you need to physically remove the blockage , the rubber hose idea is good unless it is blocked all the way down the stench pipe of course :eek:
  • superluke2superluke2 Posts: 534
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Tie/Tape a rag towel on a broom handle to use as a plunger. Put a towel on top of bowl as you may get splash back. Plunge hard to push water round bend trap. Usually works.
  • DEmmersonDEmmerson Posts: 1,655
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Surely it would burn the pan? I was going to buy it but Im a private renter and dont wish to destroy the toilet!

Its still blocked, Ive poured bleach down..

It won't burn the pan. I've used it a couple of times. Just don't be tempted to flush too soon after applying it.
  • bigtunesbigtunes Posts: 842
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    DEmmerson wrote: »
    Go and get some One-STop from a hardware store. More potent than Mr Muscle as it is acid. Will be fine on Porcelain.

Just remember to open the windows first, apply it and retreat for the said time.

It should dissolve any blockage as it is sulphric acid.

AND WEAR GLOVES.

Used something like this, got it from Robert Dyas can't remember if it had the same name.

Highly recommended, didn't damage the toilet bowl, did however burn holes in the lino!
  • seacamseacam Posts: 21,364
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    bigtunes wrote: »
    Used something like this, got it from Robert Dyas can't remember if it had the same name.

Highly recommended, didn't damage the toilet bowl, did however burn holes in the lino!

Like what Big?
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    In my usual style of do first, think later I managed to splash some about and where it dripped on the lino it melted holes, not that big, looked a bit like **** burns.

Of course following the instructions and managing to pour it straight down the toilet would avoid such things happening!
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 94
    Forum Member
    burton07 wrote: »
    Hello? Have you fallen down the toi

This cracked me up :D

I agree with another poster, a plastic bag and a bog brush has fixed mine a couple of times.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    In my usual style of do first, think later I managed to splash some about and where it dripped on the lino it melted holes, not that big, looked a bit like **** burns.

Of course following the instructions and managing to pour it straight down the toilet would avoid such things happening!

Sorry Big,

Your link, if that is what you provided is not working, you wrote, "Used something like this," I was wondering what is the "this" you write of?
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    seacam wrote: »
    Sorry Big,

Your link, if that is what you provided is not working, you wrote, "Used something like this," I was wondering what is the "this" you write of?

With you now, meant the One-Stop stuff mentioned in the post I quoted.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    With you now, meant the One-Stop stuff mentioned in the post I quoted.

Oh! I see, it's how I read your post, sorry. :o