DC fans - Convergence is coming.

zwixxxzwixxx Posts: 10,295
Forum Member
✭✭
To those of you who are online DC comic buyers (like myself) you might like to know Convergence is coming.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Convergence_(comics)

iiuc normal titles are taking a break for 2 issues while this takes place.

Get your cheque books out cos there are going to be tie ins galore. :o

Personally I didn't follow Earth 2: World's End nor The New 52: Futures End, so I'm hoping I won't be completely flumaxed by the goings on.

btw: you probably all already knew this and are laughing at me for me so darn late to the party. :blush:

Comments

• be more pacificbe more pacific Posts: 19,061
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Oh dear. What a garbled mess. How many of these "events" does the DC Universe need?
  • zwixxxzwixxx Posts: 10,295
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    While they've got numpties like me with their "must buy it all" mentality, methinks these events will keep on a-coming.

If they can release a bunch of 3D covers and other such gimics every 3 months or so and make a bucket load then why concern themselves with continuity and building up a fan base :)
  • Fairyprincess0Fairyprincess0 Posts: 30,075
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    its just a bit of false hope for long term fans looking for a u-turn for the nu52....
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Keep wishing I'd just stopped DCing when the New52 kicked in. They're releasing EVERYTHING in trade paperbacks now anyway so I could've just got those and saved oodles.
  • GulftasticGulftastic Posts: 127,412
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    They've ruined World's Finest and Earth 2 for this, so it better be any good.
  • mred2000mred2000 Posts: 10,050
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I'll pass. I've dropped all my New52 books apart from Batman and Detective Comics and am pretty close to dropping those. Might take this as a good jumping off point.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Oh, DC. So OCD.

Honestly, does someone at DC believe that all the convoluted continuity absolutely must be explained diegetically every couple of of years? It's such a needless exercise.

Surely most people just accept that comics strips which have been in continuous publication for 75+ years are sure to be riddled with contradictions?
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    im down to about 7 comics at the moment. both marvel and dc.

only two of thoses are 'new 52.' harley quinn and wonder woman.

i dont want to read 'important' comics anymore. id rather read fun bits of fluff like batman '66....
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Think I was on about 11, then stopped JLA and Catwoman at issues which would be the last one contained in a compilation. And have also been avoiding trying out new series, like Arkham Manor, since I expect them to compilation it a few months down the line so might as well just wait for that to come out. Oh yes and I've stopped Batman & Robin, having taken it up when (spoiler) Robin died, cos I had that guy and the series turned into a Batman & SomeoneElse series which was great. But then the whole Robin Rises kicked in, that I've still got to finish, and now iiuc he is back so I wave goodbye and save 2.50 GBP/month, I hate that guy.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Robin "died" and then returned? How do they come up with such original ideas?!
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    ^ :) - If the average comic book reader now only follows a title for a couple of years then the publishers can freely regurgitate storylines over 'n' over for the new bunch of readers to go all "wow, omg this is SO cool and original" over, while the few long termers just sigh and shake their heads.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Checked out the 40 Convergence titles and iiuc there is no Convergence Batman #1. Kinda weird but maybe DC think he's being serviced well enough with Shadow of the Bat and Detective Comics (and the one with his baby oik)
  • Bob PaisleyBob Paisley Posts: 3,627
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I wonder what the DC universe will look like post-convergence. I also wonder if we'll see some of the costumes redesigned. I really think Batman and Superman need to get their pants back.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I wonder what the DC universe will look like post-convergence. I also wonder if we'll see some of the costumes redesigned. I really think Batman and Superman need to get their pants back.

yep. i second that.

all i want is an group of on-going comics set in the convergence realities....

and harley back in her old costume.
  • AdzPowerAdzPower Posts: 4,861
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I thought that convergence only lasted 2 months? Won't it just go back to the new 52 right after? They already confirmed that it's only lasting 2 months and will go back once it's over in June.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    The mini series lasts 9 eps (0-8), but the aftermath ........ ????????
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Anyone's google skills better than mine and can find a place that shows the Tony Daniel alternative covers for the Convergence series ? Not impressed by the Chip Kidd ones for the 40 odd two-parters.... maybe TD's ones will win me over.
  • Bob PaisleyBob Paisley Posts: 3,627
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    AdzPower wrote: »
    I thought that convergence only lasted 2 months? Won't it just go back to the new 52 right after? They already confirmed that it's only lasting 2 months and will go back once it's over in June.

I was unaware of this news. But I still suspect there will be some retconning and relaunching once the thing is over.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    With the relaunching involving multiple 3D covers, right ?! :)
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    re: Convergence Covers.

Though they've not updated the list with what I'm after I'm thinking this place: http://www.comiclist.com/index.php/lists/dc-comics-extended-forecast-for-01-28-2015 might just be the place to keep an eye on. :)
  • frightleverfrightlever Posts: 1,272
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I tend to ignore these special events, but I'm not a collector. The need to follow a story across multiple different titles turns me right off.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I don't mind special events crossing multiple titles as long as they make it clear which issues are a part of the storyline. Nothing (?) is more frustrating when your monthly comic bundle comes through the post and you find at the end of an issue: "This is continued in this other comic you don't follow and didn't know you needed."
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Spider-verse has been decent for that at least, though I'm sometimes dubious about the order they list them in at the back.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    But I bet there is a bunch of spidey-fans in internet land who have all the issues, read them in excruciating detail and posted that they feel is the correct reading order. There was for DC and the No Mans Land mega storyline. http://i61.tinypic.com/6sx7o7.jpg From a good 15+ years ago and thanks to the list and eBay I completed it a few months back. :)
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I was unaware of this news. But I still suspect there will be some retconning and relaunching once the thing is over.

Just been reading some more about this and looks like you're right, along with scrapping the whole "New 52" label on everything.

Goddamn it. I'm about down with the big two.