Options

Charlie Brooker-esque review of Series 5

[Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 35
Forum Member
Hey everyone -

Thought I'd see what you guys thought of this piece I wrote a few weeks ago on the new series for my uni newspaper - it's pretty acerbic, the aim was to get something as close to Brooker's style as poosible (obviously though it's far inferior!)

Anyway be interested to hear what you lot think, as you're all clearly pretty big fans of the series and know what you're talking about. I've never really watched Doctor Who before this series so possibly not too clued up on the finer plot details, forgive me...

http://rantdontwrite.blogspot.com/2010/05/dr-who-series-5.html

Cheers. :D

Disclaimer: If you're easily offended and don't like that sort of humour, you'll probably hate it, so don't say I didn't warn you :p

Comments

• Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,588
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Good piece and something that i would have expected a Charlie Brooker or Yahtzee from Zero Punctuation to write or say. However just one thing I want to pick up on (which shows how much of a geek i am) but James Bond does brandish a Beretta handgun as well as the Walther PPK.
  • Options
    davrosdodebirddavrosdodebird Posts: 8,692
    Forum Member
    Not offended at all! In fact, the way you use the stereotypes is hilarious, and the idea of stuffing an elderly goat full of laxatives sounds a lot like something Frankie Boyle would have come up with in Mock the Week.

I stopped reading at "Saint David Tennant of Over-Actington". You had me there, Well Done

:D:D:D
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 929
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    When you said you'd written a brooker-type piece I was fully expecting it to be awful. There are hundreds of imitators all over the internet who prove time and time again how good Brooker is at what he does, and how hard it is to do well. That said, I think you've done a rather good job.

Glad to see you're enjoying Doctor Who as well!
  • Options
    sloe_ginsloe_gin Posts: 427
    Forum Member
    Hi rantdontwrite - I think you are a really good writer, but why are you content to be a Brooker ventrioloquist? Develop your own style! Part of what made Brooker so amazing in the early noughties was his sour, scathing originality, which contrasted brilliantly with the pomposity of AA Gill et al. If you veer off on your own path you could be as significant as him! Keep writing, you've got a knack for it
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 11,991
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    sloe_gin wrote: »
    Hi rantdontwrite - I think you are a really good writer, but why are you content to be a Brooker ventrioloquist? Develop your own style! Part of what made Brooker so amazing in the early noughties was his sour, scathing originality, which contrasted brilliantly with the pomposity of AA Gill et al. If you veer off on your own path you could be as significant as him! Keep writing, you've got a knack for it

I did read the blog last night, just didn't get round to saying anything. I agree with the above post. You definitely have a knack for writing OP, but developing your style will be even better. I don't agree with most of what you say:p....but can't deny that you say it in style:D
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 35
    Forum Member
    Thanks for the kind words everyone, I was fully expecting to be flamed :p
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 598
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Was it an assignment to imitate an existing writer's style?
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 4,895
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Has Brooker actuallyy done any reviews for this current series I love reading his reviews