My Boyfriend The War Hero

Trsvis_BickleTrsvis_Bickle Posts: 9,202
Forum Member
Did anyone else see this last night?

It's a documentary following a 19-year old triple amputee Afghanistan veteran and his 17-year old fiancee.

It's heartbreaking viewing but the courage and strength shown by these 2 kids is extraordinary.

Also essential viewing for politicians next time they are thinking of joining in with the latest American military wheeze.

Comments

• [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 582
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Good documentary, though finished on a sour note seeing as they'd split up.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,411
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I watched this, was a brilliant documentary making a change from all the usual crap that is ok tv. I agree it was sad at the end that they had split up but it just shows how much strain and pressure it puts on people, especially as they were both so young.
  • circlebro2019circlebro2019 Posts: 17,560
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    why do so many young people join the army?

i could understand if it was a world war situation where its "us agaisnt them"

but anyone with a brain knows this is an unjust war,why do they jump in so readily?
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    whedon247 wrote: »
    why do so many young people join the army?

i could understand if it was a world war situation where its "us agaisnt them"

but anyone with a brain knows this is an unjust war,why do they jump in so readily?
    this is a thread discussing this documentary, not the argument surrounding whether the war is right or not and why people feel the need to and want to serve their country. I think General Discussion or the Politics sub-forum are more appropriate areas to voice your opinion.
  • SoyokazeSoyokaze Posts: 551
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    kitty_koo wrote: »
    this is a thread discussing this documentary, not the argument surrounding whether the war is right or not and why people feel the need to and want to serve their country. I think General Discussion or the Politics sub-forum are more appropriate areas to voice your opinion.

To be fair, kitty, the OP did sort of invite these kind of responses with his last sentence, calling the war an 'American military wheeze'.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Soyokaze wrote: »
    To be fair, kitty, the OP did sort of invite these kind of responses with his last sentence, calling the war an 'American military wheeze'.

True, but it's just a shame that any kind of discussion surrounding British troops (in this instance horrific injuries incurred by many young soldiers) ends up resorting to bickering surrounding politics.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    there was no bickering, the show is about a young troops life after the war, to wonder why he joined in the first place is not taking things off topic
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 268
    Forum Member
    I missed the end- they split up? :eek: Did they say why? What a shame, they were so lovely together. :(
  • Trsvis_BickleTrsvis_Bickle Posts: 9,202
    Forum Member
    Soyokaze wrote: »

Not a political point at all.

I was simply pointing out that there is a horrific human cost to be paid for warfare and those who commit our troops to it should be reimnded of what is at stake.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 243
    Forum Member
    Whedon, as an ex soldier of 15 years you should be grateful that they do join up so you / your son / or daughter is not conscripted.

A lot of privates join because there are no other options open to them but a life watsed on the dole in sink estates up and down the country on benefits. You can learn a profession and then go on and put it to good use when you come out. I have, and I lead a far better life now tahn I would have done without my military service.

I served in NI, the Balkans and the first Gulf War and I didn't agree particularly with any of them (and I don't much with today), but I took the Queens shilling and got on with it just the same as I'm sure the soldiers over there do.

I suppose they could stay at home, let someone else go over there for them, get in trouble with the law, rake in benefits or sit on internet boards whinging about it.

However, I'm still proud that our country produces young men who want to better themselves and turn out to be incredibly brave along the way.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    why are you posting towards me as if i disrespected soldiers?

i just wondered why they joined and you have given some insight

although does it say something that so many soldiers would be in trouble with the law if they wernt away in a warzone?

food for thought perhaps...
  • InspirationInspiration Posts: 62,705
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    whedon247 wrote: »
    although does it say something that so many soldiers would be in trouble with the law if they wernt away in a warzone?

food for thought perhaps...

Depends on what you think it says really?

I think it's something worthy of respect that someone realises they're not happy with the direction their life is heading in and decide to do something about it that ultimately could cost them their life. The army isn't the easy way out but for some it's a way they can regain some respect for themselves and from their peers and make something of their life.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    by killing people?.........id personally just help out a charity or do a college course

conscription is one thing, but iraq dont pose a threat to us,so i cant personally understand why people join it unless as stated above they potential criminals or asbo kids.

any posters here who joined army for different reasons? sure there must be different reasons for joining.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 243
    Forum Member
    Weedon, if we all had an attitude like you there would be no country, we would have been overran years ago by the NAZIs.

Mind the charity shops would have been adequately manned to make sure they had those life essentials.

Not everyone in the army joins to prevent become a tagged young offender. Some do it because the thought of unpaid work in a charity shop doesn't pay for them to have nice things in lfe. Believe it or not some people aren't bright enough to go to College. For a variety of reasons I've seen the army teach 17 year olds to read and write properly.

Whether you think Iraq was a threat to us or not ( I don't), the government did and the soldiers were ordered to go whether they like it or not. If everyone was working in a charity shop, you would have gone.

If you'd got lucky you could have served next to me - I'd have watched out for you when the bullets started flying:rolleyes:
  • Ricky D GervaisRicky D Gervais Posts: 2,429
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    seasider53 wrote: »
    Whedon, as an ex soldier of 15 years you should be grateful that they do join up so you / your son / or daughter is not conscripted.
    The government would never get away with conscription for unnecessary conflicts like Iraq though, so that's a moot point.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    indeed it is a moot point, also back in the WW era i would have been conscripted to fight and even with my "attitude" i would have HAD to fight for my country so no, the nazis would not have won

typical soldier cant see anyone elses opinions