Options

Only Fools & Horses - did u prefer Cassandra or Raquel?

Comments

• Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,175
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I really didn't like Cassandra at all, she kinda ruined the show for me a bit so glad she wasn't in it too often.

really liked Raquel
  • Options
    StrakerStraker Posts: 79,659
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Met Gwyneth Strong at a friend’s garden party back in the late-90s. Lovely woman and not at all starry or stand-offish.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 3,772
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I always thought Raquel was better suited to Del than Cassandra was to Rodney.
  • Options
    trec123trec123 Posts: 4,419
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I liked them both but Raquel was given the worst
    line in the history of the programme, imo - "just remember, Del; only women bleed."
    Don't know why but that speech always makes me cringe:o:p
  • Options
    masterquanmasterquan Posts: 5,804
    Forum Member
    I didn't like Rodney's wife. She was dull, stiff and cold. Raquel was lovely
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,476
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    masterquan wrote: »
    I didn't like Rodney's wife. She was dull, stiff and cold. Raquel was lovely

corpse-like?:D
  • Options
    GulftasticGulftastic Posts: 127,436
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    Didn't think too much of either as actresses. Both were pretty poor IMHO.

As characters, I liked Raquel better. She was slightly better written.
  • Options
    crystal_methcrystal_meth Posts: 8,379
    Forum Member
    I prefer(red) Raquel, she seemed much warmer and down to earth. There was something cold and uptight about Cassandra, although that was how she was written to be so I imagine this isn't down to the actors themselves.
  • Options
    masterquanmasterquan Posts: 5,804
    Forum Member
    Harrowing. wrote: »
    corpse-like?:D

lol something like that.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,346
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Sloopy wrote: »
    I found that Cassandra could be a little petulant and selfish at times, but both actresses played their roles spot-on.

True, but to be fair, so was Rodney. I guess Sullivan was going for "two sides of the same coin" with the pair of them.

I liked both, but ... I'd say I preferred Raquel.
  • Options
    emmetmclemmetmcl Posts: 2,577
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Raquel.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,584
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Yoshi Fan wrote: »
    Raquel.:)

Yes, Yoshi Fan. Raquel was the warmer of the two characters. She seemed to have more of a seperate life independent of the Trotters than did Cassandra.The actresses were about equally good.
  • Options
    KasphlamKasphlam Posts: 2,313
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Raquel was by far the better character. Despite her moods, you could tell she had a warm heart and real emotion. Brilliant. Cassandra was just a bit dull and childish.
  • Options
    DavetheScotDavetheScot Posts: 16,623
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I prefer(red) Raquel, she seemed much warmer and down to earth. There was something cold and uptight about Cassandra, although that was how she was written to be so I imagine this isn't down to the actors themselves.

I didn't think Cassandra came over like that at all. She had quite a wicked sense of humour. She shared with Rodney his somewhat PC outlook, and like him was frequently irritated by Del - and let's face it, funny though he is, he'd drive you up the wall if you had to actually live with him at close quarters. But you saw her warm side with Rodney and Raquel, and to a certain extent with other characters too, even Del sometimes. She could be a little childish at times, but then so could Rodney and indeed Del.
  • Options
    Rob22Rob22 Posts: 11,838
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    'You should come around with me one morning at trotter towers, Cass, it i'd give Terry Wait the shakes'
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 195
    Forum Member
    Raquel.
  • Options
    zx50zx50 Posts: 91,272
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Candy39 wrote: »
    I really didn't like Cassandra at all, she kinda ruined the show for me a bit so glad she wasn't in it too often.

really liked Raquel

Yes, Cassandra quite often went into a sulk over little things that could easily have been sorted out.
  • Options
    EurostarEurostar Posts: 78,519
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I did find it interesting that both Del and Rodney married educated middle class women.Indeed much was made of the class barrier when Rodney first met Cassandra.
  • Options
    zx50zx50 Posts: 91,272
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Eurostar wrote: »
    I did find it interesting that both Del and Rodney married educated middle class women.Indeed much was made of the class barrier when Rodney first met Cassandra.

Raquel, middle class? She was a stripper in a run down club when I watched Only Fools and Horses.
  • Options
    ShaiyaShaiya Posts: 3,512
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Both annoyed me eventually and got in the way of the lads. I understand why Sullivan had to create the characters for Del and Rodney to settle down, but I don't think he wrote very well for them and made them both unlikeable for me.

Raquel started off okay but turned into a moaning frump. Cass was just unlikeable most of the time.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    zx50 wrote: »
    Raquel, middle class? She was a stripper in a run down club when I watched Only Fools and Horses.

She came from a middle-class family though. She rebelled and ran away to be an actress, but your original upbringing does stay with you and affects your outlook and values.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Shaiya wrote: »
    Both annoyed me eventually and got in the way of the lads. I understand why Sullivan had to create the characters for Del and Rodney to settle down, but I don't think he wrote very well for them and made them both unlikeable for me.

Raquel started off okay but turned into a moaning frump. Cass was just unlikeable most of the time.

I just couldn't disagree more. Raquel and Cassandra were great characters who both got a lot of funny lines. Did they have their faults? Of course - like all the characters. But certainly for me they were always likeable.

Now Damian, he really was unlikeable.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I just couldn't disagree more. Raquel and Cassandra were great characters who both got a lot of funny lines. Did they have their faults? Of course - like all the characters. But certainly for me they were always likeable.

Now Damian, he really was unlikeable.

Agree totally. Ben Smith was unbearable.

young Damien circa 1991-1996 was a cute good looking, likeable kid growing up.

mouthy Ben Smith in the early 2000's was unbearable.

I thought he was a very unprofessional actor, he would laugh in scenes he wasn't supposed to be laughing in, and didn't even seem bothered that he was given the role of Damien.
  • Options
    SurrenderBillSurrenderBill Posts: 19,084
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    This is a bit of a non-question in my opinion... I mean... why?

Now there is a question... indeed!
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Raquel's character had more depth - her past was explained, about how she was an actress who went to drama class, was a stripper, and eventually everyone found out she was married to Slater.

Cassandra - had no depth, her past history was never explained, we knew zero about her.

and I think thats why some viewers prefer Raquel - because her past was explained in detail.