Anyone get the impression The Doctor has "forgotten" the last 4 years?

2»

Comments

• [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 3,772
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    allen_who wrote: »
    Well if that contribution doesn't put an end to this thread nothing will. Well put by the way.

Ahem!
  • DoctorQuiDoctorQui Posts: 6,428
    Forum Member
    Why should Eleven ever mention Ten's companions?

Did Two ever mention Ian and Barbara?

Did Three ever mention Ben, Polly, Zoe or Jamie?

Did Four ever mention Jo or Liz?

Did Five ever mention Romana or Leela?

Did Six ever mention Nyssa, Tegan or Turlough?

Did Seven ever mention Peri?

Did Eight ever mention Ace?

Did Nine ever mention Grace Holloway?

The answer to all these questions is "no".

It was bad enough having Ten go on about Rose every five minutes when his companion was Martha, and again when it was Donna, so to have Eleven go on about Ten's companions all the time (especially Rose) would be insufferable.

Actually he did in Arc of Infinity I believe!:p
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    DoctorQui wrote: »

Romana in Earthshock too
  • EaglestrikerEaglestriker Posts: 3,559
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

One of the first episodes of Who I ever watched, Earthshock, had Adric and Five arguing about Romana for a bit, didn't it? I didn't know who she was until I saw The Leisure Hive.
  • JohnnyForgetJohnnyForget Posts: 24,061
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    No, but he did mention Barbara Ian and Susan

No but he did mention Vicky (or more likely VIctoria)

Yes to both
    The UNIT era companions got mentioned too.

Tegan yes
    Sarah Jane and a handful of others where mentioned too

Ahem!.

Most had a reason why they where mentioned at the time, but forgotten completly they where not.

Ahem! Well, if that post doesn't humble me I don't know what does!

But I stand by the final sentence of my previous post that if Eleven were to constantly go on about Ten's companions (most notably Rose) it would be insufferable!
  • EaglestrikerEaglestriker Posts: 3,559
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I have also noticed though, that Matt Smith's 11th Doctor hardly ever has anything to say about the Time War, being the last of the Time Lords, and doesn't go in for the "O woe is me" self-angsty stuff that the 9th and 10th Doctors were a bit prone to. He just seems to get on with stuff and keep all the doom and gloom to himself. Which is fine by me.

Yeah, I think that was a plot point. The Doctor's over it now. First it was survivor's guilt (healed by Rose), then it was demons resurfacing whenever he travelled alone (that's probably still true) but since the End of Time, which basically had Ten re-evaluate what he had to do to stop the Time War, he need not think about it anymore, except that it was for the best.

As you say, its not like it hasn't been mentioned at all, though.

"You're the last of your kind?"
    "Bad day..."

"I'm the last of my species."
    "No, you're really not - because I'm the last of my species and I know how it sits in a heart...so don't insult me!"

Powerful moment, that last one.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    But I stand by the final sentence of my previous post that if Eleven were to constantly go on about Ten's companions (most notably Rose) it would be insufferable!

Agree with that. Mention them if and when appropriate, but don't shoe horn any references just for the sake of it

ps 7 went through the lot of them in Fenric (but it wasn't audible)
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 11,991
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I did indeed AGES ago, I think it was before I joined the Doctor Who Fans Thread, so I don't blame you for not remembering! Maybe it came up in the Fans thread as well...can't remember either :D

I think it's really interesting how we can have such differing views on the same show, for me series 5 was by far the strongest and for you it was the weakest. It's actually quite interesting. I do find it less than interesting when people are childish about not liking a series though! That's why I njoy talking to you - get a proper intelligent discussion with you :D

The past definately hasn't been forgotten though: just remember how many jokes there were about Liz 1 ;) Jack is a weird one for me: loved him in series 1, like him in series 3 and was indifferent to him in series 4. But if he does appear soon, I'm sure it will be for a good reason and hopefully it won't be just for old times sakes. Although with the ongoing River stuff I'm sure Moffat wouldn't want the show to get too crowded!

We just prove that its possible to talk about likes and dislikes without insulting each other or the things we don't like. It is what allows these debates to go forward......:)

And yes Moff definitelly doesn't let us forget the Liz 1 incident!!!!!!:D
    No, but he did mention Barbara Ian and Susan
    No but he did mention Vicky (or more likely VIctoria)

Yes to both
    The UNIT era companions got mentioned too.

Tegan yes
    Sarah Jane and a handful of others where mentioned too
    Ahem!.
    Most had a reason why they where mentioned at the time, but forgotten completly they where not.
    Ahem!
    Romana in Earthshock too

you see exactly....and obviously Three didn't at first take to Jo because she wasn't basically Liz.....and then later Jo is not completely forgotton when he receives the Crystal from her....Also Four even sends SJS a version of K9....now would he do that if he didn't think about her occasionally?

In terms of Ten...like I said he only really mentioned Rose in the Runaway Bride, becase Donna asked...yes he was sad, but he had just lost her, and then not relevent plot places, but character moments were in Smith and Jones and Shakespeare Code. After that Martha mention her when they go to New Earth, and to Tullulah in Evolution of the Daleks. Then John Smith has a drawing of her, an mention her name in passing in Human Nature...but then we also get a reference to Sidney and Verity...and Slitheen, so its no so much that the Doctor can't forget her...its part of the story of his character remembering stuff about the Doctor. Then Jack mentions her Utopia, but that leads to a huge plot point where Yana starts to remember things. And then the Master, doesn't mention Rose, but makes a quip at Martha about "past" coompanions looking into the vortex (as he heard as Yana)....so out of that...the Doctor only mentions her in four stories, including the RB.
    In series 4, Donna brings up the subject of Rose, so the Doctor talks about her shortly, and then its all the way in Midnight, when Sky says she left her partner on another world, and he just passingly mentions, no sadness at all (he has come terms with it)...and then her name comes into the list of names he expects to trick the Midnight creature......

If you really counted the scenes, and put them together....they probablt don't amount to more than 10 minutes of two whole series'......
    Yeah, I think that was a plot point. The Doctor's over it now. First it was survivor's guilt (healed by Rose), then it was demons resurfacing whenever he travelled alone (that's probably still true) but since the End of Time, which basically had Ten re-evaluate what he had to do to stop the Time War, he need not think about it anymore, except that it was for the best.

As you say, its not like it hasn't been mentioned at all, though.

"You're the last of your kind?"
    "Bad day..."

"I'm the last of my species."
    "No, you're really not - because I'm the last of my species and I know how it sits in a heart...so don't insult me!"

Powerful moment, that last one.

Agree with all that. He has faced the pain, he knows he made the right decison, because he actually saw them go ahead with their plan, which he must have thought he prevented them from doing so....but probably fel really guilty that he basically kiiled them because of what they might do....rather than because they are in the midst of doing it. So he now knows it was a bad day...one which leave a scar....but with less guilt. I am actually suprised that it has been metioned at all....because for me, the arc was completed. But it's nice to hear the odd reference......
  • JCRJCR Posts: 24,029
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    allen_who wrote: »
    Well if that contribution doesn't put an end to this thread nothing will. Well put by the way.

Peri punches the seventh doctor in the virgin novel Bad Therapy. Oh and in a recent Eighth Doctor Big Finish he says something bad happens to the Seventh Doctor and companions, presumably explaining why Ace wasn't in the TV movie, and setting up a future BF storyline. The past is the future you see, it's very Steven Moffat.
  • allen_whoallen_who Posts: 2,819
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I've no idea if the Doc has forgotten the last 4 years but I know that I have. The show is far better now for my taste. Sorry
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 382
    Forum Member
    He mentioned the events of Journeys end, and The Next Doctor as events erased by the cracks.

And there was a deleted scene involving old companions. This Doctor won't 'love' Rose in the same way though, as he's a new person.
  • alphonsusalphonsus Posts: 773
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Agree with that. Mention them if and when appropriate, but don't shoe horn any references just for the sake of it

ps 7 went through the lot of them in Fenric (but it wasn't audible)

I want to learn to lip read for that scene alone!
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1
    Forum Member
    Scoobyh1 wrote: »
    Does anyone get that impression that the new doctor Matt Smith has forgotten all about the last 4 years?

I dont recall there being ANY mention of Rose, Martha, Donna...nothing.

No mention of any previous storylines....

Its as if the last 4 series and 1 year of specials have been erased.

Its as if the The Doctor is completely brand new.

Maybe its just me i dont know...lol

Im not sure if this has been posted before. But the Tardis, shows Amy the previous companions, including Rose, Martha and Donna, and previous companions. Sorry if posted before.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UeJ4Ak2xCkw&feature=related
  • CAMERA OBSCURACAMERA OBSCURA Posts: 8,002
    Forum Member
    No I don't think the character has forgotten the last 4 years.

The show has always needed to move forward and not dwell in the past in terms of referencing previous episodes/events.

If it suits the script or scene then yes it is great to reference something from the past, Nu or Classic but to constantly bog itself down in it to the cost of continuity is a bad move.

The first series of the relaunch had it right, fresh from the off, no baggage from the classics, the same should apply to Moffat's reign. But undoubtedly there will the odd little nod or reference which is great.
  • Granny McSmithGranny McSmith Posts: 19,622
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    SH89 wrote: »
    Im not sure if this has been posted before. But the Tardis, shows Amy the previous companions, including Rose, Martha and Donna, and previous companions. Sorry if posted before.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UeJ4Ak2xCkw&feature=related

Thanks for that, SH89, always nice to see!

Welcome to the forum :)
  • RorschachRorschach Posts: 10,818
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Perhaps he's not mentioning about being the last of the Time Lords so much because he keeps being proven wrong? First the Master turns up, then died, then turned up again, then almost the entire Time Lord Race turned up on the scene, then they went...

He's figures that it's only a matter of time before another one pops up some where, some how so it's probably not a claim he can make confidently any more. :D

Or perhaps if he mentioned he's the last one he's worried that someone will ask what happened to them and he'll have to explain who he destroyed his race not once but twice. :o