Unemployed to cook for pensioners (Merged)

Comments

• Pull2OpenPull2Open Posts: 15,138
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Si_Crewe wrote: »
    Funny how the wheel turns though, innit?

I mean, talk to anybody younger than about 40 and they'll probably tell you how the Labour party are evil cos they came up with bullshit reasons to get us involved in wars and how guys like Alistair Campbell and Peter Mandelson are slippery weasels and how Tony Blair is a wannabe celeb' etc.

And really, those people have absolutely no f**king clue how much worse things were in the 70's and 80's under Thatcher and Major.
    They're learning now though.

I completely agree!
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 10,561
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    yeah that's wrong- as well as these personality tests. It borders on prejudice.
    (I'm not actually unemployed but I know what these companies do, it's these graduate public relations people that get these cushy jobs and have to look like they're doing something- so put in pointless application tests, or personality tests to look as if they're doing something-or advancing the procedure- despite tripping up a legitimately good person for the job)
    Only thing you can do is keep applying and finding out the good employers.

One of the questions was like this

You're unloading stock when a customer approaches you and asks you to move your stock trolley so they can get past you further down the aisle. What do you do?

a) Move the trolley and move it back into place when the customer has moved back.
    b) Take the trolley away and unload the stock when the store is less busy.
    c) Position the trolley in a different angle so customers can walk past you without a problem
    d) Use a smaller trolley to unload the stock.

:confused: I'm not even joking. How can you honestly choose a best and worst from that? How are you supposed to know if you've never had a job like that?
  • RickyBarbyRickyBarby Posts: 5,902
    Forum Member
    Shadow2009 wrote: »

You're unloading stock when a customer approaches you and asks you to move your stock trolley so they can get past you further down the aisle. What do you do?

a) Move the trolley and move it back into place when the customer has moved back.
    c) Position the trolley in a different angle so customers can walk past you without a problem

:confused: I'm not even joking. How can you honestly choose a best and worst from that? How are you supposed to know if you've never had a job like that?

i was ask a question like that when i applyed to boots the other week
  • annette kurtenannette kurten Posts: 39,543
    Forum Member

d)Use a smaller trolley to unload the stock.

and even if you have, at least two of those would be a company or branch issue.
  • Steve_WhelanSteve_Whelan Posts: 1,986
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Common sense would be answer c, but these tests are put by people in head office who have never worked on the front line the so the actual answer could be anyone's guess.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 11,471
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Si_Crewe wrote: »
    Funny how the wheel turns though, innit?

I mean, talk to anybody younger than about 40 and they'll probably tell you how the Labour party are evil cos they came up with bullshit reasons to get us involved in wars and how guys like Alistair Campbell and Peter Mandelson are slippery weasels and how Tony Blair is a wannabe celeb' etc.

And really, those people have absolutely no f**king clue how much worse things were in the 70's and 80's under Thatcher and Major.
    They're learning now though.

Its actually a real dilemma for people my age. We don't want to vote conservative for obvious reasons yet we grew up with Labour and in the shadow of the war on terror. Young people are not voting because they are not politically involved but because they feel no one represents them.
  • James FrederickJames Frederick Posts: 53,184
    Forum Member
    I really do think there should be a "None of the above" choice if people feel that way if a lot voted for that it may show them how people really feel
  • JulesFJulesF Posts: 6,461
    Forum Member

I've never worked in a supermarket, but, in my mind, that one's not hard to work out: c is best - quickest way to sort out the issue without wasting the employee's time; d is worst - would mean having to go away, unload the larger trolley and load everything back on to a smaller trolley = massive waste of time.
  • Sun Tzu.Sun Tzu. Posts: 19,064
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I don't think these reforms will happen in Northern Ireland.
  • Dare DevilDare Devil Posts: 118,737
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    Kiko H Fan wrote: »
    Not pulling their fingers out.
    Sitting around all day.
    Drinking in the Wetherspoons.
    Having a flat screen TV.

Report them.

Oh dear, oh dear :D

So the day someone become redundant and has to sign on, they have to sell their tv they've already bought and paid for when they were working?

No drinking in Wetherspoons? Fantastic that still leaves many, many pubs around - Red Lion will do :D
    What if the drink is just tap water and ice? Is that acceptable?

Someone unemployed may also have a little bit of their own money. How do you know what they're paying with what money. The JSA or their own money, say redundancy pay or a little bit of savings, maybe even on credit.

No sitting down? Not even to apply for jobs? that might make things a little more awkward. Standing up to fill out online application, and forms. That's a little unreasonable.

Do you feel like this about all benefits or just JSA?
  • muggins14muggins14 Posts: 61,844
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    http://www.huffingtonpost.co.uk/2013/10/01/iain-duncan-smith-jobseeker_n_4022018.html?ncid=edlinkusaolp00000003&ir=UK

IDS says Jobseekers should spend 35 hours a week at the Jobcentre. Interesting ... when are they meant to do their 'community service'? He has contradicted himself somewhat, again!

Will they be fed lunch?:p
  • ÆnimaÆnima Posts: 38,548
    Forum Member
    muggins14 wrote: »
    http://www.huffingtonpost.co.uk/2013/10/01/iain-duncan-smith-jobseeker_n_4022018.html?ncid=edlinkusaolp00000003&ir=UK

IDS says Jobseekers should spend 35 hours a week at the Jobcentre. Interesting ... when are they meant to do their 'community service'? He has contradicted himself somewhat, again!

Will they be fed lunch?:p

They will spend 35 hours a week at the jobcentre recieving help. Some will go on job placements as and when the job centre thinks they need to. (Radio 4 interview with IDS this morning).

As for lunch, I presume they'll have to buy their own. What would they do for lunch if they were at home?
  • MoggioMoggio Posts: 4,289
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Ænima wrote: »
    They will spend 35 hours a week at the jobcentre recieving help. Some will go on job placements as and when the job centre thinks they need to. (Radio 4 interview with IDS this morning).

Where is the space or staff to supervise people 35 hours a week?
  • Kiko H FanKiko H Fan Posts: 6,546
    Forum Member
    Dare Devil wrote: »

Do you feel like this about all benefits or just JSA?

All benefits.

Everyone on any benefits is a scrounger.

I know this to be true as I've read it many times on here.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    All benefits.

Everyone on any benefits is a scrounger.

I know this to be true as I've read it many times on here.

Right, ok got you now, a WUM, and there I was getting all wound up by you on this and another thread! Once bitten! :rolleyes:
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Ænima wrote: »

As for lunch, I presume they'll have to buy their own. What would they do for lunch if they were at home?
    You're right, of course, I was being flippant.

So many of the long-term unemployed are disabled, my local Jobcentre is going to have to do some re-building to make it user-friendly for access; of course, it's going to need expansion anyway with all of the unemployed attending on a daily basis - they are overcrowded as it is with less-regular attendance, and the single security guard can barely cope.

With the recent redundancies at our local JC, and I'm sure it's nationwide, presumably they will re-hire some of their former workers - or get them back on the work for your benefit scheme, to do their old jobs without the salary involved!

The amount of money that is going to have to be spent acquiring computers for all of these people to apply for jobs - as many jobs these days (including the Government's own Universal Jobmatch (which a friend of mine was told was the only site she must use as they can trace her activity on there) are advertised online only. Presumably the claimants will be using stationery at the JC rather than at home, that's an additional cost. Postage? Telephone bills, paid for by the taxpayer?

Where I live, Bath, there were 1,161 JSA claimants in August this year - they are going to need to use the Rugby ground to fit all of these people in one place from 9-5, and this is a relatively small amount as Bath's fairly small and full of students!

I'm sure there are many other issues that need to be thought about, and lots of funding needed, to implement this rather expensive suggestion.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 14,284
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I am 40 and I know exactly how bad things were, even during her first term, I was brought up in Liverpool and I aint kidding when I say Boys from the blackstuff was a good portrayal of our city in the 80s.

At least this government did not get a majority vote and thats a comfort to me as I dont think it will happen in the next election either.

The only thing, and its a major thing, this government has been successful at is turning working class people against working class people.

I think the Tories will win an outright majority in 2015. I'm deadly serious-- I think they will pull it off and your last line is why.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    RickyBarby wrote: »
    it's not breaking the law drinking and having flat screen tv on you jsa you know.

I got a flat screen tv because I won 500 pounds on the lottery scratch card. and I got another 1 now for the bedroom as my grandpa died and I got off him.

as for drinking I buy what's on offer at the local shop and make it last to my next lot of money. the most of spend on drink at a time is 10 pounds. and I make it last to my next time as I said. if I run out I do not buy anymore.

You don't need to explain yourself-- it's not as if any other kinds of televisions are available in shops anyway. Christ, equating flat-screen tellys with luxury is tantamount to saying someone is well off because they have more than one pair of shoes.
    Forum Member
    You don't need to explain yourself-- it's not as if any other kinds of televisions are available in shops anyway. Christ, equating flat-screen tellys with luxury is tantamount to saying someone is well off because they have more than one pair of shoes.

You need to tell that to the types on here who squeal like stuck pigs about the unemployed having flat screen TVs.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    You need to tell that to the types on here who squeal like stuck pigs about the unemployed having flat screen TVs.

After I read one of your other posts, I realized you were taking the piss out of that kind of attitude.:D
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

People like you, you have done the most squealing like a pig about the unemployed owning TVs! :rolleyes:
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    After I read one of your other posts, I realized you were taking the piss out of that kind of attitude.:D

No they're just taking the piss end of!
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Pesky kids watch too much Cbeebies as it is anyway ;)

I think that many people are so unaware of how much debt those on low incomes/benefits/both can get into trying to provide some home comforts for their families. The increase in using doorstep lenders, companies that lend to those with a bad credit rating, limited income, etc. All they see is a flat screen TV and assume what the government says is true.
    Forum Member
    muggins14 wrote: »
    Pesky kids watch too much Cbeebies as it is anyway ;)

What? No Sky+ full package with HD?
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 36,630
    Forum Member
    Pull2Open wrote: »
    So, as soon as you are unfortunate enough to be in a position to have to claim JSA, you immediately have all your rights revoked? No tv or drinking in pubs until you have a job and absolutely no sitting down whatsoever unless its to do paid work! You are relegated to being part of a second class society to be shunned, spat at and trodden on by those who are lucky enough to hold on to their jobs and proclaim that as a tax payer they have the right to decide who have worth and who do not! What a load of bullshit you talk!

It would appear that the elite are winning over the weak minded of the lower classes or are you kidding yourself that you are part of the elite! I suspect the latter!

What a moronic post!

You'd be surprised how many people on here think the same.

In similar threads we've had posters suggest when someone becomes unemployed some government man should come round, value all their goods and then sell them and the claimant gets no money from the State until the money from the sale runs out.

Modern versions of workhouses have been suggested, with dormitories built next to industrial estates to house the unemployed, who then work for free in the offices and factories on the estate in return for food and board.

I've seen people suggest that the unemployed should not be allowed council houses, shouldn't be allowed cars, shouldn't be allowed TVs, should be given vouchers for food and no actual money for anything else (so how do they pay their rent, water bill, gas and electric bills?) and all sorts of other draconian ideas.

We constantly get told DS is full of lily livered, leftie liberals but it is the rabid, unsympathetic, unemployed and disabled hating ultra right wingers DS seems to have a disproportionate amount of these days.