The Ratings Thread (Part 53)

Comments

• Agent FAgent F Posts: 40,288
    Forum Member
    cylon6 wrote: »
    I hate soaps at the weekends. Leave that for weekdays.

Why? :confused:

Coronation Street was on Sunday nights for over a decade before ITV decided, in their wisdom, to move it and I still think that was a mistake.

Whilst I understood the idea behind why they did it, in reality the Sunday night schedule has been left feeling barren in the months between Dancing on Ice finishing and The X Factor starting, and with the former on its way out it's going to look even worse. And as easy as it is to say that ITV just need to find more 'hits' we know that they struggle in that department. At least Corrie would help anchor the Sunday night schedule and give ITV a bit more leverage against BBC1's hugely reliable line-up.
  • cylon6cylon6 Posts: 25,486
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Hassaan13 wrote: »
    Coronation Street only does 6m usually, on a Sunday.

Cher is also performing on XF tonight but I'm not sure if she's that much of a ratings draw. Britney is known to be able to boost a results show.

More viewers on Sunday and not facing Strictly means The X Factor will do well.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Agent F wrote: »
    Why? :confused:

Coronation Street was on Sunday nights for over a decade before ITV decided, in their wisdom, to move it and I still think that was a mistake.

Whilst I understood the idea behind why they did it, in reality the Sunday night schedule has been left feeling barren in the months between Dancing on Ice finishing and The X Factor starting, and with the former on its way out it's going to look even worse. And as easy as it is to say that ITV just need to find more 'hits' we know that they struggle in that department. At least Corrie would help anchor the Sunday night schedule and give ITV a bit more leverage against BBC1's hugely reliable line-up.

I hated it on Sundays then too along with Emmerdale. I like the weekend free from soap. I want sitcoms, drama and entertainment. ITV didn't need soap on the weekend before as their development slate delivered other hits. Every extra episode of a soap means failure for other departments to come up with good shows.
  • HMOHMO Posts: 42,143
    Forum Member
    More viewers on Sunday and not facing Strictly means The X Factor will do well.

It may well be above the 9m mark again, but Corrie facing Strictly may not do that well - unless it's been promoted in some way.
  • Agent FAgent F Posts: 40,288
    Forum Member
    It may well be above the 9m mark again, but Corrie facing Strictly may not do that well - unless it's been promoted in some way.

It has been promoted this week but I still expect Strictly to beat it tonight.
  • FuddFudd Posts: 166,973
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    The X Factor clashed with Strictly for the same amount of time last week yet recorded a better figure. There is no way the first live show should see a dip compared to the Judges House episode. I think the producers made a mistake not putting Joseph Whelan and Melanie McCabe through as the viewers could relate to them and their back story.

I guess it says a lot for The X Factor's peak that it has lost so many viewers in such a short space of time yet is still comfortably ahead of any other show on the night (other than Strictly). It's lost 4.4m viewers between the first live show in 2010 and now which is staggering; albeit the 2010 live show came off the perfect storm of controversy. They don't need any of those viewers back as long as they can retain what they have but can they? Now, I'm not so sure. If it loses any viewers next week it will have to be a minimal decline at worst.

Strictly Come Dancing put in another strong performance but Atlantis suffered another hit; it looks like The Adjustment Bureau and A Fistful of Dollars might have taken a few viewers away from The X Factor as both shows were up (by 0.3m each) on last weeks fare at 9pm.
  • DrifterDrifter Posts: 12,071
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Coronation Street only does 6m usually, on a Sunday.

Cher is also performing on XF tonight but I'm not sure if she's that much of a ratings draw. Britney is known to be able to boost a results show.

Britney at the time had been plastered over the media and it was effectively a "come back". But yes, she would still garner interest. Cher is a good act to have paired with Ellie Goulding. It's certainly better than some Sundays in recent years. They really ought to get Britney on there this year to do "Work". They need to get Lady Gaga this year again too, Adele would be amazing if she had new material out
  • solenoidsolenoid Posts: 15,495
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Atlantis with 4.66m?

I'll be honest and say the trailer didn't inspire me: characters in a bullring?

Apparently next week's story is about a baby.

Hardly enticing sfx eh?
    Forum Member
    Agent F wrote: »
    It has been promoted this week but I still expect Strictly to beat it tonight.

When was the last time Coronation Street managed 8m for a Sunday episode? The recent ones have been at about 6-7m.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Corrie starts 20 minutes before Strictly but Strictly is a results show. Both will be down. I think next Sunday will be interesting to see what happens with The Paradise.
  • FuddFudd Posts: 166,973
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    "@MirrorTVNews: ITV's Daybreak set to become Good Morning UK in revamp http://t.co/oySxX0bKOU"

So from GMTV to GMUK?

Well done, ITV. :rolleyes:
    Has tonight's particular episode had any promotion?

And I'm not sure if the Corrie inheritance will help XF any more - I say that because it had the BGT sandwich, but failed to boost the results to a figure a lot closer to the performances.

I've seen trailers for the Sunday episode which is unusual; they usually don't bother with it but I suppose it is the start of a big week for both.
  • JetsonJetson Posts: 13,318
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Has tonight's particular episode had any promotion?

And I'm not sure if the Corrie inheritance will help XF any more - I say that because it had the BGT sandwich, but failed to boost the results to a figure a lot closer to the performances.
    There was no episode on Friday and the continuity announcer immediately promoted an hour long explosive episode on Sunday, so yes they did promote it.

And there's also been a trailer airing for a few days now which aired twice during XF specifically saying Sunday.

People will expect a misplaced episode due to the football Friday. I expect Corrie to rate between 8 and 9 million tonight. Probably 8.0m average (+1: 450,000). The last hour-long Sunday episode in September got 7.42m (+1: 427,000).

Would like it higher though as it's a big story. And as I've repeatedly said if Corrie were to permanently return to Sundays ITV would have a guaranteed 7-9 million tuning in across the whole year leading into the 8pm junction.

Corrie has a big storyline this week like Emmerdale. The schedule is:

Sunday (Today)
    7.00 Coronation Street (hour-long)

Monday/Friday
    7.00 Emmerdale
    7.30 Coronation Street
    8.30 Coronation Street

Tuesday/Thursday
    7.00 Emmerdale

Wednesday
    7.00 Emmerdale (hour-long)
    8.00 Coronation Street (hour-long)
    * Expect high, high figures on this night

Thursday
    8.00 Emmerdale
    Forum Member
    Fudd wrote: »
    The X Factor clashed with Strictly for the same amount of time last week yet recorded a better figure. There is no way the first live show should see a dip compared to the Judges House episode.

I guess it says a lot for The X Factor's peak that it has lost so many viewers in such a short space of time yet is still comfortably ahead of any other show on the night (other than Strictly). It's lost 4.4m viewers between the first live show in 2010 and now which is staggering; albeit the 2010 live show came off the perfect storm of controversy. They don't need any of those viewers back as long as they can retain what they have but can they? Now, I'm not so sure. If it loses any viewers next week it will have to be a minimal decline at worst.

These factors, among others, make last night's figure look worse. Traditionally, the second week sees a decline.

I don't think the choice of acts turned people off - they certainly didn't in 2010 and 'Gamu-gate' was a lot larger than the controversy with Melanie/Paul being voted off. So maybe the flash vote, or the choice of songs turned viewers off?

That said, XF needs a bit of momentum, which should bring the Saturday shows back to 2008 levels.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    James J wrote: »
    When scheduled there randomly and without much if any promotion, yes.

Back in the day, where a schedule would look like this:

7.30 Corrie
    8.00 Heartbeat
    9.00 Trial & Retribution

I can assure you Corrie was not seeing unhealthy figures, and was the lynchpin of a dominating Sunday schedule. It's only since ITV axed Sunday's Corrie that ITV have lost their Sunday stronghold (with the exception of DA and DOI which itself is dying on its arse.)

As for the whole soap-free weekend rubbish, Corrie aired on Sundays for a long time and was seen as one of the nicest, cosiest episodes, settling you down before going back to work. If Sunday nights are so important you don't want soaps on, perhaps you shouldn't be watching TV.

And as I mentioned, just half an hour of soap at 7.30pm instantly anchored a whole night's entertainment down. ITV's scheduling is all wrong.

When ITV had good shows following Corrie it was great. Downton and X Factor get bigger ratings on Sunday compared to the soaps. One soap episode doesn't help a night unless the shows following it are strong too.

X Factor is fine on Sundays anyway. If that changes when The Paradise starts that's when the panic button will be hit.
  • LW09LW09 Posts: 3,301
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Drifter wrote: »
    Britney at the time had been plastered over the media and it was effectively a "come back". But yes, she would still garner interest. Cher is a good act to have paired with Ellie Goulding. It's certainly better than some Sundays in recent years. They really ought to get Britney on there this year to do "Work". They need to get Lady Gaga this year again too, Adele would be amazing if she had new material out

To be honest I'm not sure getting big performers on will boost the results show by that much, because they do tend to attract big names most weeks now. Before it was a bit of a rarity to have a big name on.

If they want to see a ratings boost from a guest performer then they need to do a bit of stunt casting and get Miley Cyrus on. Stunt casting has worked in the past with Britney Spears and Whitney Houston. It's the panto aspect and car crash element of X Factor that people used to love, but that has been lacking for years.
    So from GMTV to GMUK?

Well done, ITV. :rolleyes:

When TVAM launched the first programe aired was called Daybreak. It flopped and was replaced with Good Morning Britain. It's happening allover again.

I also fail to see how changing the presenters, the content and the set before changing the name (and then doing that afterwards) will help things. It would be better just to axe Daybreak and start fresh with Good Morning UK. With the speed that the new boss is working at I'd expect this on air in January. And there may not be anything in it but Helen Fospero recently tweeted she was going for a meeting with ITV. Shes been in the running numerous times to take the lead job.
  • AlbacomAlbacom Posts: 34,578
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    solenoid wrote: »
    Atlantis with 4.66m?

I'll be honest and say the trailer didn't inspire me: characters in a bullring?

Apparently next week's story is about a baby.

Hardly enticing sfx eh?

The baby is of significance to Greek mythology.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    When ITV had good shows following Corrie it was great. Downton and X Factor get bigger ratings on Sunday compared to the soaps. One soap episode doesn't help a night unless the shows following it are strong too.

But it's a two way thing; I think people won't come in the first place if the schedule looks like a graveyard. Some common consistency with Corrie at 7.30pm would provide that stability the BBC has with Countryfile.

It's half an hour. It would definitely help ITV. And it would give them the confidence to launch more 8pm formats thanks to the "trusted" lead-in.
  • DrifterDrifter Posts: 12,071
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

I've seen trailers for the Sunday episode which is unusual; they usually don't bother with it but I suppose it is the start of a big week for both.

And because it isn't normally on Sunday now, so there's added need for promotion.

I hated soap on a weekend too. I understood it's point but it always felt too easy and utterly lazy. In the case of Emmerdale it meant it was on 6 days a week which was just horrible - at least the double Thursday episode feels like the one "session", the same as Corrie's double bills. I hope ITV never go back to it and manage to find other things to prop up the schedule.

Still don't understand why they don't get some kind of gentle early evening drama to go there against Countryfile and the like. It would probably skew old but if done right could rate well and support the evening.
  • AlbacomAlbacom Posts: 34,578
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Just confirmed on points of View:

A Question of Sport will start in its new regular slot at 8.30pm Monday October 21st.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    There was no episode on Friday and the continuity announcer immediately promoted an hour long explosive episode on Sunday, so yes they did promote it.

And there's also been a trailer airing for a few days now which aired twice during XF specifically saying Sunday.

People will expect a misplaced episode due to the football Friday. I expect Corrie to rate between 8 and 9 million tonight. Probably 8.0m average (+1: 450,000). The last hour-long Sunday episode in September got 7.42m (+1: 427,000).

Would like it higher though as it's a big story. And as I've repeatedly said if Corrie were to permanently return to Sundays ITV would have a guaranteed 7-9 million tuning in across the whole year leading into the 8pm junction.

Corrie has a big storyline this week like Emmerdale. The schedule is:

Sunday (Today)
    7.00 Coronation Street (hour-long)

Monday/Friday
    7.00 Emmerdale
    7.30 Coronation Street
    8.30 Coronation Street

Tuesday/Thursday
    7.00 Emmerdale

Wednesday

Thursday
    8.00 Emmerdale

What happens on Friday?
    Forum Member

I suppose it has been promoted. 8m would be a nice figure leading into X Factor - better than the 6m a non-promoted Corrie would get. The higher the audience, the higher portion of its audience would stick around for XF.

When you say "high, high", could we be looking at at least 10m for Corrie? If it does get that, it could be great for 'The One & Only Cilla' which follows on from that.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    What happens on Friday?

Monday/Friday are same as indicated in the post.
    Forum Member
    Deleted.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    When you say "high, high", could we be looking at at least 10m for Corrie? If it does get that, it could be great for 'The One & Only Cilla' which follows on from that.
    I think Corrie could well crack 10 million on Wednesday, yes, including +1 anyhow.

Tonight's hour-long and tomorrow's double appear to lead to a huge cliffhanger into the Wednesday hour-long which is the episode where shit hits the fan big time in a storyline that's been running for well over a year. Plus there's the return of Liz McDonald and Roy and Hayley's Blackpool trip.

So yeah, think it'll be mid-9s without +1 and crack the 10m mark including +1. :)
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I think Corrie could well crack 10 million on Wednesday, yes, including +1 anyhow.

Tonight's hour-long and tomorrow's double appear to lead to a huge cliffhanger into the Wednesday hour-long which is the episode where shit hits the fan big time at a Christening in a storyline that's been running for well over a year. Plus there's the return of Liz McDonald and Roy and Hayley's Blackpool trip.

So yeah, think it'll be mid-9s without +1 and crack the 10m mark including +1. :)

Tonight's episode features the DND test reveal of 'Who's the Daddy' though (which has been kept out of the press), so it's highly anticipated also, though not as much as Wednesday I shouldn't think. The whole thing will just build though, as will Emmerdale's big week-long siege-in-a-storm.

It's why I do think we'll see impressive figures for both. Not astronomical, but markedly up.
This discussion has been closed.