Options

SNP watch

Comments

• Options
    Black SheepBlack Sheep Posts: 15,219
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    psy7ch wrote: »
    You never heard of St Patrick's day? Its celebrated in cities and towns across the globe by the Irish diaspora and many others from the local population. What is so strange about that?

Ah, right didn't realise that:blush:
  • Options
    The infidelThe infidel Posts: 3,826
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    So far we've had UKIP with one seat and the LDs with 8 seats. The SNP with 56 seats have not been included.

In the run up to the GE there were 2 or 3 questions specifically about the SNP which allowed the entire panel to attack them without the right of reply. I think the QT producers need to think about their panels and the questions being asked as they are ignoring 10% of their audience.

UKIP and the LD are mainstream national parties whereas the SNP are not. The SNP has a very dispraportionately high number of seats compared to small number of people who actually voted for them.
  • Options
    AshbourneAshbourne Posts: 3,036
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I actually thought it was Ireland for the first couple of minutes.

I didn't realise there were folk in Scotland so Irish in their outlook. What the heck drives that?

Also, there's a,lot of stupid folk,out there, one guy says Labour introduced the bedroom tax FFS!

That's because they did. ;-)
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Ashbourne wrote: »
    That's because they did. ;-)

Didn't know that one. Not exactly the same though.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    When the UK Government already gives ten billion a year in foreign aid, why does the SNP Government insist on spending part of our Block Grant on foreign aid?

http://www.heraldscotland.com/politics/scottish-politics/snp-government-foreign-aid-policy-under-fire-in-internal-report.126937913?

Is this not a waste of resources not intended for this purpose?
  • Options
    AiramAiram Posts: 6,764
    Forum Member
    A separate limited Scottish overseas aid plan was again a Labour initiative!

I seem to remember Jack McConnell making a great deal of it and even recently being proud of what Scotland has been able to do.

I agree with him. Every mickle maks a muckle.

Scotland spends very little comparatively but seems to target the funds wisely.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    UKIP and the LD are mainstream national parties whereas the SNP are not. The SNP has a very dispraportionately high number of seats compared to small number of people who actually voted for them.

Small?

No party has polled 50% of the votes actually polled in Scotland since the Scottish Conservative and Unionist Party in the 1950s .

The SNP polled almost as great a percentage of the registered electorate as the Conservatives who govern it did of actual votes cast.

This government governs Scotland on the basis of a majority of less than 900 votes in one constituency.

If the union is to continue, it's time for the establishment to accept that the only party with a majority at Holyrood and possible seats at Westminster from one of the four nations, indeed the only other signatory to the Treaty and Acts of Union, should be treated as a major UK party.

Would Ofcom prefer the SNP to stand candidates throughout the UK?

With over 100,000 members, it would be simple to find candidates, starting perhaps with London branch of the SNP, who did some sterling telephone canvassing in the recent GE campaign.
  • Options
    BanglaRoadBanglaRoad Posts: 57,587
    Forum Member

Oh great! Another "expert" on Scottish politics has returned to us. Hey Infidel, what happened to your claims that the Tories would win four seats in Scotland and that Alex Salmond would not get elected? Search is not working right now but when it is I shall be happy to repost some more of your nonsense.
    UKIP and the LDs have nine MPs between them and the SNP are the third largest party. Not the fault of the SNP that UKIP and LDs were rejected by Scotland. A MP from Scotland is of equal worth to one from anywhere else however much you may not like this.
  • Options
    psy7chpsy7ch Posts: 10,717
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

Scotland does not have a disproportionately high number of seats. it was the most popular party in virtually every seat it stood. The bottom line is UKIP couldn't muster more than in 1 tiny part of the country the popular vote

This is how UKIP did in Scotland

East Dunbartonshire 1.00% Edinburgh South 1.20% Glasgow North 1.30% Edinburgh North 1.50% Inverclyde 1.60% Renfrewshire East 1.60% Aberdeen South 1.80% Aberdeenshire West 1.80% Edinburgh East 1.90% Edinburgh West 1.90% Ross, Skye & Lochaber 1.90% East Kilbride 2.00% East Lothian 2.00% Glasgow Central 2.00% Gordon 2.00% Edinburgh South West 2.10% Inverness 2.10% Dumfries & Galloway 2.30% Kirkcaldy 2.30% Ochil 2.30% Rutherglen 2.30% Ayrshire North 2.40% Berwisckshire 2.40% Coatbridge 2.40% Glasgow South West 2.40% Midlothian 2.40% Perth 2.40% Airdrie & Shotts 2.50% Argyll & Bute 2.50% Ayr 2.50% Glasgow East 2.60% Lanark 2.60% Linlithgow 2.70% Motherwell 2.70% Dumfriesshire 2.80% Caithness 2.90% Angus 3.00% Falkirk 3.00% Livingston 3.10% Moray 3.90% Orkney & Shetland 4.80%

UKIP has 35,000 members SNP has 120,000 members

The fact Scotland is governed by a party that has 1 seat and that was held by less than 800 votes is a bit more of a democratic annoyance than you down south seeing a bit more of the SNP on TV
  • Options
    The infidelThe infidel Posts: 3,826
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    BanglaRoad wrote: »
    Oh great! Another "expert" on Scottish politics has returned to us. Hey Infidel, what happened to your claims that the Tories would win four seats in Scotland and that Alex Salmond would not get elected? Search is not working right now but when it is I shall be happy to repost some more of your nonsense.
    UKIP and the LDs have nine MPs between them and the SNP are the third largest party. Not the fault of the SNP that UKIP and LDs were rejected by Scotland. A MP from Scotland is of equal worth to one from anywhere else however much you may not like this.

Yes, I that wrong but my forecast was based on my hope that not as many people would give themselves over to such horrible biggotry and nationalism. The hypocrytes in the SNP who objected so vocally to the 'Westminster elite' are now very much part of it.
  • Options
    psy7chpsy7ch Posts: 10,717
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Yes, I that wrong but my forecast was based on my hope that not as many people would give themselves over to such horrible biggotry and nationalism. The hypocrytes in the SNP who objected so vocally to the 'Westminster elite' are now very much part of it.

someone with absolute no understanding of what is happening in Scotland
  • Options
    BanglaRoadBanglaRoad Posts: 57,587
    Forum Member

In other words you don't have a Scooby about what is going on in Scotland. Once the search is working again we might have a look at what else you don't have a clue about. The last line of your post shows just how wrong you are.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    So wrong again. The SNP Accepted the referendum result and branches immediately started to plan for the general election.

Every member of the snp in each constituency got a vote to choose the candidate following statements and hustings in all parts of the constituency.

That is democracy.
  • Options
    Angels_babyAngels_baby Posts: 1,471
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

The SNP polled almost 50% in most seats in which they had candidates, taking over 50% of the total vote. That was only in the places they fielded candidates - who knows what percentage of the vote they could have gotten if the had fielded candidates through the UK. That is not an insignificant fact and has resulted in them now being the third biggest party but without the respect from the rest of the house of being so.
  • Options
    thmsthms Posts: 61,009
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    http://news.stv.tv/scotland-decides/analysis/1321607-snp-mp-mhairi-black-tweets-over-champagne-and-highland-spring-mix-up/

"Is Mhairi Black the best thing to happen to Scottish politics? (Hint: Yes.)"

not long to wait to find out
  • Options
    James2001James2001 Posts: 73,662
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Everyone I know, including Scots, thinks she's an embarrasment to the country.
  • Options
    Angels_babyAngels_baby Posts: 1,471
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I don't. Having heard a lot of her in person during the campaign, rather than rely on old tweets and assumptions, I found her extremely articulate and well informed. She came across as honest and passionate about her beliefs and I for one think she will be a breath of fresh air at Westminster.
  • Options
    thmsthms Posts: 61,009
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I don't. Having heard a lot of her in person during the campaign, rather than rely on old tweets and assumptions, I found her extremely articulate and well informed. She came across as honest and passionate about her beliefs and I for one think she will be a breath of fresh air at Westminster.

i agree..
  • Options
    MC_SatanMC_Satan Posts: 26,512
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I had major doubts about Black but she seems to be doing pretty well.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,007
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    thms wrote: »
    http://news.stv.tv/scotland-decides/analysis/1321607-snp-mp-mhairi-black-tweets-over-champagne-and-highland-spring-mix-up/

"Is Mhairi Black the best thing to happen to Scottish politics? (Hint: Yes.)"

not long to wait to find out

Nicola Sturgeon does all that work, at those meetings and debates, but this silly girl sends a cheeky tweet to someone, and she's best thing to happen to Scottish politics? Whatever they say, lol.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,007
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    MC_Satan wrote: »
    I had major doubts about Black but she seems to be doing pretty well.

True. She's not got drunk or "nutted" anyone... not yet anyway. :p
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    James2001 wrote: »
    Everyone I know, including Scots, thinks she's an embarrasment to the country.

Everyone I know, and I live here, thinks she is a breath of fresh air and are proud that such a young woman has gained a seat as an MP.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    True. She's not got drunk or "nutted" anyone... not yet anyway. :p

No that was Eric Joyce. ;-)
  • Options
    josjos Posts: 9,992
    Forum Member
    Mr Speaker has just had to tell them off for clapping and asked them to respect the
    conventions of The House.
  • Options
    InspirationInspiration Posts: 62,706
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    jos wrote: »
    Mr Speaker has just had to tell them off for clapping and asked them to respect the
    conventions of The House.

Doesn't surprise me. I'm about 10 mins behind and I've noticed it happening.

Speaker needed to be firm there. One of many battles I suspect. Well done JB.
This discussion has been closed.