Why do people direct the answers to my question to someone else?

SoundboxSoundbox Posts: 6,247
Forum Member
I was wondering why, when I ask a question or start a conversation the person I start it with starts off answering me / talking to me and then within a short time slowly turns and continues the conversation with someone else who is then being told the answer to a question they did not ask?

I get this at all manner of gatherings and I work hard to start interesting conversations and be interested in the replies but its hard to be continue conversations with the back of someone's head. I am seriously considering just sitting there looking 'happy to be there', keeping quiet and speaking when spoken to.

So why do people do this?

Comments

• Hugh JboobsHugh Jboobs Posts: 15,316
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Perhaps they don't like you?
  • tellywatcher73tellywatcher73 Posts: 4,181
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Ouch!
  • SoundboxSoundbox Posts: 6,247
    Forum Member

Yes, it could be that, but why do they answer my question - it would be better to ignore me and my conversation surely?

At least at school kids said 'I HATE you' and you knew where you stood. Job done!
  • dee123dee123 Posts: 46,267
    Forum Member

Meow.
  • Hugh JboobsHugh Jboobs Posts: 15,316
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Ouch!
    dee123 wrote: »
    Meow.

I didn't mean to be catty. Sorry OP. :blush:
  • tellywatcher73tellywatcher73 Posts: 4,181
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Soundbox wrote: »
    Yes, it could be that, but why do they answer my question - it would be better to ignore me and my conversation surely?

At least at school kids said 'I HATE you' and you knew where you stood. Job done!

Sometimes people are just rude. Sometimes people get caught up in playing to a room and don't even realise they are being rude. If someone doesn't wish to stay in a conversation with you then just shrug it off and find someone better to talk to. It's happened to me in the past but I just figure why would I want to talk to someone who behaves like that anyway?
  • RebelScumRebelScum Posts: 16,008
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    It's called mingling.
  • SoundboxSoundbox Posts: 6,247
    Forum Member
    RebelScum wrote: »
    It's called mingling.

When I mingle I speak to the person who is speaking to me and anyone nearby - engaging everyone I can so not blanking anyone (by turning my head a little and making eye contact). Takes a bit of effort but well worth it.
  • RebelScumRebelScum Posts: 16,008
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Soundbox wrote: »
    When I mingle I speak to the person who is speaking to me and anyone nearby - engaging everyone I can so not blanking anyone (by turning my head a little and making eye contact). Takes a bit of effort but well worth it.

I find mingling tends to be on the casual side, carried out on the mutual understanding it could end at any second. Maybe you need to relax your mingling technique. If you're not careful a casual exchange can turn to a full on conversation or even a lecture (if speaking to a group).
  • TakaeTakae Posts: 13,555
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    My step-sister complains constantly about that. That and having some people finish her sentences without her say so.

The problem is, she doesn't seem to pay attention.

After asking a question, she glances around while nodding her head distractedly. Similar to Gordon Ramsay, who constantly looks at everything but a person he's listening or speaking to. It's like talking to the air, so easier to talk to someone more attentive.

As for people finishing her sentences? This is how she speaks: "Yes, I suppose so... (long pause). What if we were to... (long pause)... the garage down the road? The one... (long pause)...Esso? We could... (pause)..." Some people finish it for her when it seems like she's lost in her thoughts.