Dogtooth

[Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 5,832
Forum Member
Just wondering if anyone else has seen this Greek film? It was just nominated for an Oscar, but didn't win.

It's one of the oddest, most shocking films I've ever seen. It starts off weird, but by the end I could barely watch. Truly horrifying, but utterly compelling at the same time. It was like watching a car crash... you know you shouldn't be watching, but you just can't help it.

It's about this family, two parents and three adult children. They live in this big house with an high fence around it, and the kids have never been outside the fence. I don't want to give much of the plot away, but it's very, very dark.

So... anyone else seen it?

Comments

• JoleneJolene Posts: 1,762
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Yeah. Saw it a while back. It is a bit out there but you have to watch it all to see how it turns out. The dancing part is crazy! I love foreign fillums :)
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 5,832
    Forum Member
    The dancing scene, I agree, is absolutely nuts. I just watched the whole thing with my jaw somewhere on the floor, tbh. What was your interpretation of the ending?
    I figured she suffocated in the boot of the car, but I liked the way the director left the ending open. Part of me likes the idea that she got out and found help, but if you've never seen the outside world and never met other living beings, then just imagine how frightening that would be.
  • UltraVioletUltraViolet Posts: 7,673
    Forum Member
    It's a really absurd film indeed, but rather excellent, was happy to see it get a nomination, and quite surprised it did actually.
  • JoleneJolene Posts: 1,762
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I think either way, there wouldn't of been a happy ending
    Because dead or alive if she did escape as she hadn't a clue of the real world because of her isolation.

The car was in the hot sun, and would've been there all day. She probably hadn't a clue how to open it from the inside, so I think she more than likely baked and / or suffocated. She was probably too scared to scream incase her father found her.
    And, I was also thinking, the parents told them about the first brother who escaped, now IF he even existed, he could've met the same demize....

It's a mad film, but it does keep you thinking.