Options

Most Underrated Artist/Act of 2011

[Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,177
Forum Member
✭✭✭
Who do you think is the most underrated artist/act of the year? I feel its a close call between Lykke Li and Clare Maguire, but what do you think?

Comments

• Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 24,080
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The Naked & Famous
    Jamie Woon
    &
    Caro Emerald (though sold well on independant radio coverage very underrated in presence in public awareness)

Those for me....made terrific albums for the year but so criminally overlooked and underrated.
  • Options
    kryskryskryskrys Posts: 3,322
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Depends if you mean 'underrated' in a critical or commercial sense. But in terms of sales I think these acts deserved to be more successful:

Nicola Roberts
    Florrie
    SoundGirl
    Le Kid
    Sophie Ellis-Bextor
    The Sound Of Arrows
    Natalia Kills
    Nadia Oh
    Cocknbullkid
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 146
    Forum Member
    SoundGirl
  • Options
    mimicolemimicole Posts: 51,025
    Forum Member
    I agree with Lykke Li - I love her music. Sadly though, my love for I Follow Rivers has died because my workplace play it around 6 times on a 4 hour shift along with other music. :sleep:
    Paper Aeroplanes - I only discovered them recently, but I love their music
  • Options
    OK Then!!!OK Then!!! Posts: 4,614
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Rebecca Ferguson
  • Options
    LMLM Posts: 63,576
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I feel Will young has been underated on his Echoes era. I don't like any of the stuff from his early years and although the album has gone platinum and Jealously proved to be successful, i feel he has not been given enough credit and success for this era. He brought back Trip-pop to mainstream which not a lot of artists have done since Dance music has exploded over the last 3 years.
  • Options
    soapdoctorsoapdoctor Posts: 3,187
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    For me it has to be Nicola Roberts. The ex Girls Aloud stars album is brilliant! I have to say she is definitely the most talented out of the girls. Stand out tracks on her album include; Yo-Yo, Sticks&Stones and Porcelain Heart.
  • Options
    daniellehdanielleh Posts: 7,852
    Forum Member
    The Naked & Famous and Clare Maguire
  • Options
    BadKid95BadKid95 Posts: 7,137
    Forum Member
    Foster the People, Friendly Fires and Lady Antebellum
  • Options
    shaunnashinesshaunnashines Posts: 5,698
    Forum Member
    Nicola Roberts
    The Naked & Famous
    Yasmin
    Loick Essien
    Marina & the Diamonds
    Monarchy
    Natalia Kills
    Robyn
    Two Door Cinema Club
  • Options
    MrRenMrRen Posts: 1,054
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Katy B!!!
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 241
    Forum Member
    Hurts and Katy B, oh and Janelle Monae
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,258
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Cee Lo Green
    Rebecca Ferguson
  • Options
    Super Roux!Super Roux! Posts: 511
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Nicola Roberts & Marina + The Diamonds.

I never hear anybody talk about them, or hear their music played on music channels or radio. They're both great artists!
  • Options
    gpkgpk Posts: 10,206
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    i would go for nicola roberts as well, she should have performed better. also katy b sold moderately and her album was a particular highlight of 2011 for me.
  • Options
    allthatyouwantallthatyouwant Posts: 1,381
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    It's a crying shame Year Of The Wolf by Nerina Pallot didn't get the success it deserved...or all of her career for that matter :(
  • Options
    sward669sward669 Posts: 621
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    nadine coyle
    florence and the machine- big but should be bigger
    marina and the diamonds
    mumford and sons
    two door cinema club
    the wombats

cant think but there are diff more
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 806
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    das racist, easily
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 40
    Forum Member
    It's a crying shame Year Of The Wolf by Nerina Pallot didn't get the success it deserved...or all of her career for that matter :(

Totally agree! How was "put your hands up" not in top 20?!?!?
  • Options
    cnbcwatchercnbcwatcher Posts: 56,681
    Forum Member
    Caro Emerald
    Sophie Ellis-Bextor
    Katy B
  • Options
    CoenCoen Posts: 5,711
    Forum Member
    Not sure if "underrated" is the right term, for me it's not that particular artists are "underrated" it's more that they get very little exposure/publicity so aren't very well known - but they can often be rated very highly by people who have actually heard their material.

But my favourite artist of 2011 that has had very little exposure/publicity is probably Courtney Marie Andrews, her album "No-Ones Slate Is Clean" is one of my favourites of the year.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 7,003
    Forum Member
    Marina & the Diamonds.
    Robyn.
    Nerina Pallot.
    Florence & the Machine.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 352
    Forum Member
    Hurts
    The Maccabees
    Emeli Sande (But after that Professor Green duet she probably will be quite big)
    Janelle Monae

And the person who said Mumford & Sons, their debut album was a worldwide success. Got nominated for a grammy.
  • Options
    cnbcwatchercnbcwatcher Posts: 56,681
    Forum Member
    Nicola Roberts & Marina + The Diamonds.

I never hear anybody talk about them, or hear their music played on music channels or radio. They're both great artists!

I saw Radioactive a couple of times on the music channels but I never see any of her other songs.
  • Options
    GlassBalloonGlassBalloon Posts: 2,571
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I feel Will young has been underated on his Echoes era. I don't like any of the stuff from his early years and although the album has gone platinum and Jealously proved to be successful, i feel he has not been given enough credit and success for this era. He brought back Trip-pop to mainstream which not a lot of artists have done since Dance music has exploded over the last 3 years.

Definitely agree! Echoes has been successful but I think Will gets overlooked often. It's flawless as a whole album.

Nicola Roberts is another I agree with