Bruce Forsyth a UK Legend.Please show some respect

Comments

• AndyTSJAndyTSJ Posts: 1,656
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    So they rehearse the end of the show, the camera is set on Bruce and Tess and their lines to end the show are all ready and then.... chaos descends. What, they're supposed to just stand there and let the end of the show fall apart. Not to mention there's a producer shouting in their ears to clear the floor and get on with it. Some of the barking on here is hilarious. Most weeks the collective gathering at the end is fine but this was the final and somebody - the producer, director, whoever - decided to do it differently with a clear floor. Nothing to blame Bruce about. He was class all night and on live television nothing is ever perfect.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 28
    Forum Member
    Spoilt a great final show with his grumpy "back off". The producers should just keep the others off the floor until the winners collect their trophy and have their final dance then allow them on to congratulate them like they do in the dance off shows. The final always descends into chaos at the end but I don't think it's anything to get to bothered about.
    On a more general note about Bruce this really should be his final series, he's struggling now to control the show like a good host should and Tess should take over next year with Claudia doing her former duties.
  • Tom2512Tom2512 Posts: 1,058
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    AndyTSJ wrote: »
    So they rehearse the end of the show, the camera is set on Bruce and Tess and their lines to end the show are all ready and then.... chaos descends. What, they're supposed to just stand there and let the end of the show fall apart. Not to mention there's a producer shouting in their ears to clear the floor and get on with it. Some of the barking on here is hilarious. Most weeks the collective gathering at the end is fine but this was the final and somebody - the producer, director, whoever - decided to do it differently with a clear floor. Nothing to blame Bruce about. He was class all night and on live television nothing is ever perfect.

Yes Andy see you and me get it.He has to run a tight ship and make sure everyting runs smooth
  • MerityMerity Posts: 933
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Yes, he wanted the spotlight back on him as he presented the glitter ball - he just can't bear to not be the centre of attention. He probably thinks that Strictly is all about him! So delusional.

To be honest I think there are more people on DS who are "delusional" .....people read all sorts of rubbish into situations and take offence at the least little thing.

I cant believe there is such a furore over something that amounts to nothing in a tv show that was pure gold....

Sir Bruce is one of the best tv entertainers ever - and he was doing his best to keep things under control....to suggest he wanted the limelight on himself.....I cant believe anyone could seriously see it that way.... . :confused:
  • Miss_EdithMiss_Edith Posts: 130
    Forum Member
    Why the h**** should I? I remember The Generation Game vividly, and he was awful and excessively rude to the game contestants then, and that went to his head, and he was appalling at the Palladium too.

He only got a knighthood because he got a whole lot of people to push for it, and the Palace resisted for years. Most showbiz people who get honours for "services to entertainment" do fantastic charity work and other stuff behind the scenes, but all Brucie has ever done is present some shows on TV for years and years, then forget to retire.

Respect for Brucie? My grandmother's big red toe!:mad:

Nail on the head. Managing to cling to a job you did passably at one stage, and can barely perform any more, is no reason to get any accolades, let alone a knighthood!
  • bingoesbingoes Posts: 4,378
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I love Brucie, he is a major part of the whole show.... but i do feel it is time for him to go :(

Telling dancers to back off last night was too much. He loses the plot when under pressure, gets excited and thinks he is being clever and funny when he comes across offensive.

Last night and on other occasions we have seen how Len gets pissed with him when Brucie gives his opinions of the dance when he should be going to the judges for their critic.

He should go now while he is just about still on a high, does he really want to continue ending up upsetting everyone, being ridiculed and even worse hated.

Respect is one thing, dignity is another.
  • MonaoggMonaogg Posts: 19,990
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    bingoes wrote: »
    I love Brucie, he is a major part of the whole show.... but i do feel it is time for him to go :(

Telling dancers to back off last night was too much. He loses the plot when under pressure, gets excited and thinks he is being clever and funny when he comes across offensive.

Last night and on other occasions we have seen how Len gets pissed with him when Brucie gives his opinions of the dance when he should be going to the judges for their critic.

He should go now while he is just about still on a high, does he really want to continue ending up upsetting everyone, being ridiculed and even worse hated.

Respect is one thing, dignity is another.
    Exactly.

I just find it very odd that people who are supposedly fans cannot see how much of a disservice it is to be blind to his faults and therefore allow him to humiliate himself and ruin his reputation. Are they sadists or what?
  • holly berryholly berry Posts: 14,287
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    In future years 'doing a Brucie" will mean continuing with something way past the time when it should have been laid to rest.
  • Collins1965Collins1965 Posts: 13,912
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I love Brucie but cringed at his rudeness last night - no need to be so abrupt, he could have let the other celebrities offer their congratulations to Louis and Flavia and just got on with reading the autocue. Noone was going to be paying any attention to him at that stage anyway!
  • Department_SDepartment_S Posts: 4,923
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Just watching the tribute programme to Bill Cotton and they are showing old clips of the Generation Game. Reminds everybody what a talent Bruce has been.He was fantastic on that show.

He is too old now and whilst I will never slag him off I think it quite sad to watch him as he is now I really do. Hope he calls it a day soon. I hate reading some of the comments on here slagging him off - especially from those not old enough to remember what a national tv gem he is.
  • Doghouse RileyDoghouse Riley Posts: 32,491
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Just watching the tribute programme to Bill Cotton and they are showing old clips of the Generation Game. Reminds everybody what a talent Bruce has been.He was fantastic on that show.

He is too old now and whilst I will never slag him off I think it quite sad to watch him as he is now I really do. Hope he calls it a day soon. I hate reading some of the comments on here slagging him off - especially from those not old enough to remember what a national tv gem he is.

As I've said a few times before, you've only to watch some of the YouTube videos of his end-of-dance spot with the contestants from three or four years ago, to realise how quickly his cognitive skills have deteriorated when you look at those from this series.
    His contribution now looks more like "The Degeneration Game."
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    As I've said a few times before, you've only to watch some of the YouTube videos of his end-of-dance spot with the contestants from three or four years ago, to realise how quickly his cognitive skills have deteriorated when you look at those from this series.
    His contribution now looks more like "The Degeneration Game."

Respect the Legend please
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Tom2512 wrote: »
    Respect the Legend please

Respect has to be earned, it isn't a right that comes with age and increasing petulance.
    In "Showbusiness" you're only as good as your last performance. His was rubbish.
  • oxygenjjoxygenjj Posts: 18,290
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Respect has to be earned, it isn't a right that comes with age and increasing petulance.
    In "Showbusiness" you're only as good as your last performance. His was rubbish.

I agree , every dog has its day ,

Sadly he's past his sale date , move over bruciie time to go
  • DiamondDollDiamondDoll Posts: 21,460
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

And Amen to that.
    Thread closed.;)
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Dont you think over 60 years in showbiz he has earned the respect
  • CaroUKCaroUK Posts: 6,354
    Forum Member

No!

As someone said in another thread he's a fourth rate end of the pier entertainer who was in the right place at the right time.

He's a jack of all trades and master of none and what little talent he had has deteriorated with age - the only person who can't realise that is Mr Ego himself.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Do you think he earned points during his early years that can somehow off-set his lacklustre performances now?

He is rapidly losing or has already lost the respect of many, myself included, because the old codger doesn't know when to call it a day.

He's not on his own, there's still pop stars of the fifties and sixties touring and making absolute fools of themselves, though they can't see it. It's so sad.
  • TerryM22TerryM22 Posts: 19,463
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

I'm not short sighted Tom, of course Sir Bruce has earned his right to be show respect for his life time of achievements, Brucie is our Living Legend:)
  • MonaoggMonaogg Posts: 19,990
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    TerryM22 wrote: »
    I'm not short sighted Tom, of course Sir Bruce has earned his right to be show respect for his life time of achievements, Brucie is our Living Legend:)

Respect can be lost as well as won. Age and longevity in a particular field do not, nor should ever demand or guarantee respect.

He is losing the respect of many of his fans because he is struggling and will not realise it and give up whilst he still has a shred of respect left.
  • IlluvatarIlluvatar Posts: 774
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I believe that was me, totally stand by it too. The man is a hack who couldn't run a bath never mind a show. Louis and Flavia had their win tarnished and disrespected by him because he can't bear to stay out of the spotlight.

There was no chaos either. Nobody was out of control in any way, he was just shouting because his giant, undeserved ego can't take that it isn't the Bruce Forsyth Show.

It was supposed to be a happy, cheerful event and he ruined it. He needs to go.
  • fondantfancyfondantfancy Posts: 3,968
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I think it's a shame he doesn't know when to quit - better to go out on a high than when people are sick of you.
  • KarisKaris Posts: 6,380
    Forum Member
    It's funny when someone's considered a legend for doing nothing more than being on telly for sixty years and repeating the same god-awful catchphrases ad infinitum.

What will it say on his tombstone: it was nice to see you, to see you... nice?

While I still have huge respect for Brucie, I think his act has been tired for two decades and it's really time to give it up. Of course, he won't; he'll defy people until the last possible moment.

But yes it's time to go while there's still a shred of dignity left.
  • TerryM22TerryM22 Posts: 19,463
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I think it's a shame he doesn't know when to quit - better to go out on a high than when people are sick of you.

Forcing retirement as a result of intimidation is wrong in any walk of life, 60 years at the top of entertainment will always trump shouting talentless Live at the Apollo types:)
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Illuvatar wrote: »
    I believe that was me, totally stand by it too. The man is a hack who couldn't run a bath never mind a show. Louis and Flavia had their win tarnished and disrespected by him because he can't bear to stay out of the spotlight.

There was no chaos either. Nobody was out of control in any way, he was just shouting because his giant, undeserved ego can't take that it isn't the Bruce Forsyth Show.

It was supposed to be a happy, cheerful event and he ruined it. He needs to go.

Do you really think that honestly? WOW