Are you shy about your music taste?

2»

Comments

• meglosmurmursmeglosmurmurs Posts: 35,108
    Forum Member
    My two fave artists for most of my life have been The Beatles and Marilyn Manson. My friends could understand Marilyn Manson but seemed confused why someone my age would like The Beatles. But then when I'd interact with someone older, they'd appreciate my liking of The Beatles but find Marilyn Manson a bit of an extreme taste. I could never get it just right with anyone. lol
    I did get slightly embarrassed about it when I was a teenager but now I happily embrace my musical tastes.

Although before then I do remember really liking the Spice Girls and even today I have their songs on my ipod, along with some other fun catchy pop and certain movie soundtracks that are among all the rock/metal/alternative stuff.

I think of musical tastes as representing your personality and even the most intellectual people have a silly side to them. Although sometimes putting my ipod on shuffle can be an interesting experience, having your mood changing every few minutes can be exhausting.
  • TheTruth1983TheTruth1983 Posts: 13,462
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I have the Buffy "Once More With Feeling" soundtrack on my iPod :D
  • JasonJason Posts: 76,557
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    absolutely not and never will be. got absolutely no issue with admitting I have stuff from the likes of Girls Aloud, Aqua, Rachel Stevens and Cher Lloyd amongst my collection. I embrace all music, so it's really not an issue for me.

and i'm old, male and straight as well .. heh :)
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 47
    Forum Member
    I get that when I tell people that I never pirate and only buy albums (never single songs). I just reply saying "A lot of the artists are not well known or independent and they make great music while connecting with their fans and deserve my support".

Yes, plus the fans benefit too as the band/singer can afford to put more cash into their videos, tours etc.
    A little bit, yes. It's social suicide to listen to a female pop star, but I have a few songs from Rihanna, Nelly Furtado, etc. My music is honestly 97%+ by males, but whenever I get caught listening to a pop female I get it ripped out of me.

I never get why it's perfectly fine for women to listen to male artists. But a man listening to female singers!?!? Same for guys and pop music. Seems a bit unfair really!

I do get a bit shy about some of my tastes as I listen to a bit of Japanese music and never really want to explain to people who don't know me that well that my favourite singer is Ayumi Hamasaki or that I'm going to a L'Arc~en~Ciel concert. Plus I like a lot of pop music anyway so a lot of music on my mp3 player may not be very "cool". I cringe at the thought of any work colleagues looking at my mp3 player lol.

Re Kyle, my stepdad's mate who is straight and in his 40s is a big fan! And why not? Just because you're a guy means you can't like pop music unless you're gay?
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 5
    Forum Member
    I'm a straight teen male and I'm a massive Demi Lovato fan, don't hide it.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,280
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I actually like Miley's Bangerz album but most of my mates don't like it. I also like Taylor Swift's songs as well, but I normally listen to them by myself. At the gym, there is a music video jukebox and I would sneakily add Miley or Taylor's songs with a bulk of requests. :D:D:D:D
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    paltonz wrote: »
    I actually like Miley's Bangerz album but most of my mates don't like it. I also like Taylor Swift's songs as well, but I normally listen to them by myself. At the gym, there is a music video jukebox and I would sneakily add Miley or Taylor's songs with a bulk of requests. :D:D:D:D

Jukeboxes are great. I loaded one up with 15 Journey songs in a row once :D
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Jukeboxes are great. I loaded one up with 15 Journey songs in a row once :D

:D:D:D:D

I also like seeing people's reaction when the song comes on. They don't know who chose it!! :D:D
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    paltonz wrote: »
    :D:D:D:D

I also like seeing people's reaction when the song comes on. They don't know who chose it!! :D:D

It's like the satisfaction of letting off a silent but deadly and watching everyone blame each other :D
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    It's like the satisfaction of letting off a silent but deadly and watching everyone blame each other :D

:D:D:D:D:D:D
  • paulbaxpaulbax Posts: 2,478
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    VERY...but only because there are some people out there who want to relate music taste to the type of person someone is, which is of course untrue!

I've been a singer all my life and as a result I really enjoy listening to incredibly technically gifted vocalists which led me to being a huge fan of Mariah Carey and Whitney Houston from a really young age. Despite this, heres a major shocker for you...I'm a straight male!

Actually it shouldn't be a shocker but sadly it is in today's society. Listening to a Mariah Carey or Whitney Houston song has never made have a sudden urge to get with a man tbh, but for some reason many think that their fanbases extend to only women and gay men (Maybe less so with Whitney).

I love R&B and soul music and chose my favouritey artists and songs mainly on their vocals, its just how I am. Some of my other favourite singers as of now include Leona Lewis, Alexandra Burke, Stevie Wonder, Michael Jackson, Anita Baker, Aretha Franklin, Bruno Mars, Luther Vandross, Barbra Streisand, Beyonce and many more...but if any of my friends ask I just say "I listen to lots of different stuff, I love all genres!" As to not be judged. Sad but true!
  • mysty211mysty211 Posts: 4,935
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I have a very wide taste in music , I listen to pop , dance, rock , movie soundtracks, classical music and country. I don't talk about my music taste that much no one knows i listen to country or classical music sometimes. Usually when someone asks who's my favourite singer/band I may say someone different or my actual favorite because I know the person won't like them or don't want to say my actual favourites .

I'm a massive Blue and Britney Spears fan, only some people know how much of a Britney fan I am. Blue not many people know I love the band haven't told anyone and uni. I've become a big fan of John Mayer he's not that known to a lot of people . I still love and listen to the Backstreet Boys , Five , Westlife and Nsync, , New Kids On The Block, S Club 7 , Atomic Kitten , Steps at times they're all on my ipod :blush: . I guess you could say I'm a big fan of boybands and cheesy music . I have a few Vengaboys , Gareth Gates songs on my ipod. :blush:

A lot of the singer/bands I listen to aren't that known and would be more known in America so most people won't really know them like John Mayer .
  • laurence1870laurence1870 Posts: 213
    Forum Member
    I'm not shy about it at all. I'm 20 and absolutely love older music, in fact I can't stand much of the stuff that's out today. I like artists from Kiss to Kate Bush, AC/DC to Abba. My all time favourite band is Queen but I'm not gonna be ashamed of it just because Freddie Mercury was famously flamboyant or because they dressed up as women. It doesn't matter to me what kind of person wrote or sang a song - if it's a good soon then it's a good song, that's all that matters.