Options

Camilla - Strictly book and article re. Brenda/Kerplunk

nosilauknosilauk Posts: 647
Forum Member
✭✭
http://www.dailymail.co.uk/tvshowbiz/article-2895251/Camilla-Dallerup-speaks-split-Brendan-Cole-Natasha-Kaplinsky-affair-rumours.html
[Original article in today's Mirror I believe]

I'm hoping the book is a good read - I was only wondering the other day why a former pro hadn't spilled the beans....

Comments

• Options
    Dancing GirlDancing Girl Posts: 8,209
    Forum Member
    Really sad to see Camilla write a book about Brendan. Surely, she is happy with her husband and both Camilla and Brendan have made new lives and it happened YEARS ago. Thought she had more dignity than to make money from a broken romance and I am sure Brendan behaved dreadfully to her. I guess the idea of being with someone famous turned his head.
  • Options
    SaraV1308SaraV1308 Posts: 9,760
    Forum Member
    I saw the Mirror article and I presume the bits that have been lifted from the book concerning Brendan are surely only a very small percentage whilst the majority of the book is interesting to the average dancing fan whilst not being that newsworthy.
  • Options
    Ellie1967Ellie1967 Posts: 2,644
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I think its better to maintain a dignified silence - it only makes you look a bit sad bringing it up again after all this time when everyone has moved on.

Interesting interview with Brendan today - he talks about how he's changed and seems pretty honest about his relationship with Sunetra etc.

http://www.belfasttelegraph.co.uk/life/features/domestic-bliss-has-made-me-dance-to-a-different-tune-30874112.html
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I'm pretty sure that they have just lifted the Brendan stuff for sensation, as the focus on the book seems to be about "self-help" now that Camilla is a Life Coach it seems.
  • Options
    Mr CellophaneMr Cellophane Posts: 2,505
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The article claims that Brendan kissed Natasha on the lips in full view of the audience and the cameras - does anyone know if that is true?

I only saw the final of S1, so probably missed it.
  • Options
    kayceekaycee Posts: 12,047
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Most people who know Brendan will tell you that far more was made of his so-called affair with Natasha than actually existed. So he kissed her on the lips - on the show, in front of however many people were watching! Not exactly snogging behind the bike sheds, is it?

I do like Camilla, but I can't help thinking that if she had had a young, handsome celeb partner during series 1, she would have taken less notice of Brendan's bit of flirting with Natasha. The idea of grapes and sour spring to mind!
  • Options
    scarlottiscarlotti Posts: 1,520
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The article also refers to "..{..}..and after she quit Strictly following her 2005 win with actor Tom Chambers..{..}.." so the quality of research for the article does leave something to be desired! :cool:
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Natasha's former agent wrote about Natasha and Brendan in his book.

The articles mention two kisses - one on the dancefloor and the other backstage.
  • Options
    MonksealMonkseal Posts: 12,017
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I'm not really sure it's the best advert for one's skills as a life coach to still be publicly harping about a break-up (of a relationship that was apparently founded on the very solid bedrock of "I just don't want to sleep alone") over a decade later.
  • Options
    davegolddavegold Posts: 3,397
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Monkseal wrote: »
    I'm not really sure it's the best advert for one's skills as a life coach to still be publicly harping about a break-up (of a relationship that was apparently founded on the very solid bedrock of "I just don't want to sleep alone") over a decade later.

It isn't but they've got to feed the press something that will get some publicity. "Dancer danced" is not going to make a headline.
  • Options
    SeasideLadySeasideLady Posts: 20,773
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Ellie1967 wrote: »
    Interesting interview with Brendan today - he talks about how he's changed and seems pretty honest about his relationship with Sunetra etc.

http://www.belfasttelegraph.co.uk/life/features/domestic-bliss-has-made-me-dance-to-a-different-tune-30874112.html

Also confirms why he seemed happier in 2013 - because he was dancing with Sophie - it came across so patently that he was enjoying teaching and having her as his celeb, and that was missing this year.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Also confirms why he seemed happier in 2013 - because he was dancing with Sophie - it came across so patently that he was enjoying teaching and having her as his celeb, and that was missing this year.

Yes, I've never been a huge Brendan fan (I've never really disliked him either) but in some ways I like that he doesn't pretend he's best friends with every partner. At least when he is with someone he really likes, like Sophie, you know it and when they say they will stay in touch you believe they will. Unlike some pros who say every partner has changed their lives forever and they will always be friends and then they never seem to speak again once the show is over. I know some people thought he didn't put the effort in with Sunetra, but it sounds more like he did the best he could working around her schedule and it was probably a bit frustrating.
  • Options
    lundavralundavra Posts: 31,790
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Really sad to see Camilla write a book about Brendan. Surely, she is happy with her husband and both Camilla and Brendan have made new lives and it happened YEARS ago. Thought she had more dignity than to make money from a broken romance and I am sure Brendan behaved dreadfully to her. I guess the idea of being with someone famous turned his head.

Without seeing the book it is hard to know. A tabloid will pick on a potentially controversial aspects like that and ask lots of questions about them - presuming they did actually interview her.
  • Options
    kayceekaycee Posts: 12,047
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    lundavra wrote: »
    Without seeing the book it is hard to know. A tabloid will pick on a potentially controversial aspects like that and ask lots of questions about them - presuming they did actually interview her.

BiB probably not. The media know nothing about how the the dance world operates, so they have to pick up on the only thing their little minds understand - sleaze, whether it's true or not.
  • Options
    PashultyPashulty Posts: 9,384
    Forum Member

Unlikely ... given journalism/ news reporting these days consist of copy & paste of someone's twitter / instagram posts and spinning a web of authenticity (sorry please read 'deceit' ;) )

..... Probably in this case ... picking out a paragraph or two from a 200 -odd page book and spinning a mountain out of a mole-hill .... :p
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 12,830
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I would rather have Camilla than Natasha.
  • Options
    olivejolivej Posts: 14,696
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    now sad to drag all of this up now, 10 years later, to seemingly promote her book

she needs to get over it
  • Options
    mimicolemimicole Posts: 50,999
    Forum Member
    SaraV1308 wrote: »
    I saw the Mirror article and I presume the bits that have been lifted from the book concerning Brendan are surely only a very small percentage whilst the majority of the book is interesting to the average dancing fan whilst not being that newsworthy.

I thought this too.

Surely it's going to be more about working in ballroom.

The Daily Mail picked out the relationship parts to sell an article.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    mimicole wrote: »
    I thought this too.

More like the relationship parts were put in to sell the book. I imagine the Mail have picked out exactly the parts Camilla/her publisher wanted them to pick out to get publicity.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    mimicole wrote: »
    I thought this too.

The Daily Mail took the story from the mirror which was offered as an exclusive to the journalist.

I'm a bit disappointed as it looks like the book has been written to support Camilla's new career as a life coach, rather than as a dancer, so the Brendan break up is included as it was the starting point for the new career.

Brendan has apparently read the book prior to publication - you can also read a free sample over at Amazon.
  • Options
    lundavralundavra Posts: 31,790
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    More like the relationship parts were put in to sell the book. I imagine the Mail have picked out exactly the parts Camilla/her publisher wanted them to pick out to get publicity.

But if she did not mention it then she would be accused of a cover up. It could just be a few sentences buried in the book that the Mirror has latched on to. If they did actually interview her then most of the questions could have been about that and again if she did not give an answer then they would claim she had something to hide.

You can't win when dealing with sleazy rags like the Mirror and other tabloids will often run spoilers.
  • Options
    Mystical123Mystical123 Posts: 15,822
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

Exactly, which makes her seem all the more bitter unfortunately (in my opinion). She was never one of my favourite professionals anyway (neither's Brendan), but I must admit I have very little respect for her dragging up something from so long ago when all concerned (perhaps except for her) have clearly grown up and moved on.
    But if she did not mention it then she would be accused of a cover up.

Not at all. She's not obliged to write about everything that went on during her entire Strictly career, particularly stuff most people will have long forgotten about.

She chose to write a book in the first place, no-one forced her to, so it's entirely her choice to untastefully drag up the past.
  • Options
    PaacePaace Posts: 14,679
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Exactly, which makes her seem all the more bitter unfortunately (in my opinion). She was never one of my favourite professionals anyway (neither's Brendan), but I must admit I have very little respect for her dragging up something from so long ago when all concerned (perhaps except for her) have clearly grown up and moved on.

Not at all. She's not obliged to write about everything that went on during her entire Strictly career, particularly stuff most people will have long forgotten about.

She chose to write a book in the first place, no-one forced her to, so it's entirely her choice to untastefully drag up the past.

Surely if you write an autobiography you're going to include all the important events that happened in your life .

Her breakup with Brendan was clearly a very traumatic event in Camilla's life and if you're going to be honest with your readers you will include the bad as well as the good events that happened .

I hate biographies that gloss over some of the unsavoury events and only concentrate on those that make the writer look good .

I found Brendan a silly, annoying prat when SCD first started and he only mellowed and became more bearable in the latter series of SCD .
  • Options
    daziechaindaziechain Posts: 12,124
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    nosilauk wrote: »
    The Daily Mail took the story from the mirror which was offered as an exclusive to the journalist.

I'm a bit disappointed as it looks like the book has been written to support Camilla's new career as a life coach, rather than as a dancer, so the Brendan break up is included as it was the starting point for the new career.

Brendan has apparently read the book prior to publication - you can also read a free sample over at Amazon.
    A life coach??!!??
    After seeing her on 'I'm a Celebrity ...' I'd not choose her as a mentor :o

I expect this book is as nothing compared to the one the Jordan's will write once all their ties with Strictly are severed.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    daziechain wrote: »

I expect this book is as nothing compared to the one the Jordan's will write once all their ties with Strictly are severed.

I must admit, I'd probably be interested in reading that :blush:

I'm curious what sort of confidentiality clause/penalties Strictly have in their contracts, as quite a few ex pros and celebs have hinted at various things, but never really come out with a full behind-the-scenes 'tell-all'.