Options

142mph driver who killed a man 'boasted' about his speed

franciefrancie Posts: 31,089
Forum Member
✭✭✭
"Addil Haroon drove through a red light at more than 80mph and collided with Joseph Brown-Lartey"

"A motorist who sped through a red light and killed another driver had boasted about clocking 142mph on a motorway the previous night.

Addil Haroon, 19, (pictured above) took a photograph of the speedometer while racing on the M62 and sent it in a Snapchat message to a friend which read: "Leeds to Rochdale 11mins catch me."

In the early hours of the next day, November 9 last year, Haroon drove his Audi A6 hire car through a red light in Bury Road, Rochdale, at more than 80mph and collided with an Audi A5 driven by 25-year-old Joseph Brown-Lartey
"

... "Today, Haroon, of Essex Street, Rochdale, was jailed at Manchester Minshull Street Crown for six years, said police, after he pleaded guilty at a previous hearing to causing death by dangerous driving and driving without a licence or insurance."

WARNING - DISTRESSING PHOTOS OF CAR DAMAGE
http://travel.aol.co.uk/2015/05/29/142mph-driver-killed-man-boasted-about-speed/?icid=maing-grid7|ukt2|dl2|sec1_lnk2%26pLid%3D354579

This idiot caused a death and only got 6 years...for dangerous driving and driving without a licence or insurance. I'm speechless.

Comments

• Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 240
    Forum Member
    I've since read that the sentence is being looked at as being 'unduly lenient'.

The only thing I can say about him is that he's a prize knob and deserves every miserable second of his sentence.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Po-ta-to wrote: »
    I've since read that the sentence is being looked at as being 'unduly lenient'.

The only thing I can say about him is that he's a prize knob and deserves every miserable second of his sentence.

Thanks for that, I've only just come across the article and was gobsmacked at the sentencing. I so hope someone lays down a harsher sentence.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    francie wrote: »
    Thanks for that, I've only just come across the article and was gobsmacked at the sentencing. I so hope someone lays down a harsher sentence.

Here you go, confirmation of sentencing review: http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-manchester-32933292
  • Options
    CELT1987CELT1987 Posts: 12,358
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Should be 10 years in jail and banned for driving for life.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Here you go, confirmation of sentencing review: http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-manchester-32933292

Thanks so much for the link. I hope to God someone sees sense and makes this a*sehole serve longer - although I appreciate nothing will bring back the victim.

This git must have been well chuffed with the original sentencing.
  • Options
    wampa1wampa1 Posts: 2,997
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Should have also been charged for using his phone whilst driving.

Seriously though, what an absolute bellwhiff.

Also, how did he hire a car with no insurance or licence?
  • Options
    Waj_100Waj_100 Posts: 3,739
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I read about this earlier, unfortunately there is a lot of this goes on round these parts :(

What are they going to do to the person that hired the car?

I saw 3 people racing Audis on the way to Blackpool on monday, they were weaving in and out of traffic at high speed on the way to the M6 at junction 31.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Thanks so much for the link. I hope to God someone sees sense and makes this a*sehole serve longer - although I appreciate nothing will bring back the victim.

This git must have been well chuffed with the original sentencing.

When I first learnt to drive (many, many years ago), one of the first things my Dad said to me is that you're in control of a 2-ton lethal weapon. It's something I've never forgotten and I think it's something that should be told to all learners. With a set of car keys comes a huge amount of responsibility.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    CELT1987 wrote: »
    Should be 10 years in jail and banned for driving for life.

Unless he truly does learns his lesson in jail I doubt any driving ban would stop him to be honest.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    When I first learnt to drive (many, many years ago), one of the first things my Dad said to me is that you're in control of a 2-ton lethal weapon. It's something I've never forgotten and I think it's something that should be told to all learners. With a set of car keys comes a huge amount of responsibility.

Totally agree. Seem some don't give a monkey's about other people though, or the law, and that's when innocents are hurt. Makes my blood boil when I read about cases like this.
  • Options
    Alan1981Alan1981 Posts: 5,416
    Forum Member
    wampa1 wrote: »
    Should have also been charged for using his phone whilst driving.

Seriously though, what an absolute bellwhiff.

Also, how did he hire a car with no insurance or licence?

This is Rochdale, probably off a family memeber, or from one of the dodgy garages in the area. Usually a bunch of wideboys hire a fancy car and go around leering at underage girls.
  • Options
    viertevierte Posts: 4,286
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I read about this yesterday and it made me so angry. It's scary to think there are people out there like that on our roads, if one of my friends sent me a snap like that I'd screenshot it and report them to the police.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    vierte wrote: »
    I read about this yesterday and it made me so angry. It's scary to think there are people out there like that on our roads, if one of my friends sent me a snap like that I'd screenshot it and report them to the police.

Friendship would take a back seat and I'd do the same myself.
  • Options
    ParashootistParashootist Posts: 214
    Forum Member
    I don't see that the boasting is relevant to the fact that he killed someone.
  • Options
    MrQuikeMrQuike Posts: 18,175
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Friendship would take a back seat and I'd do the same myself.

His friends had taken the back seat just before he crashed
  • Options
    OdonataOdonata Posts: 1,403
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    It is disgraceful. The young lad he killed was an absolute gent, 6 years is an insult.
  • Options
    AddisonianAddisonian Posts: 16,377
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I suppose it just shows how careless he is in the fact that he was more preoccupied in letting everyone see what speed he was doing rather than having respect for other drivers on the road.

An absolute idiot who deserves to be locked up for a long time and have his driving licence taken away permanently.
  • Options
    ElectraElectra Posts: 55,660
    Forum Member

It rubs salt in the wound.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Simply shows it's not a "one-off", imo.
  • Options
    OdonataOdonata Posts: 1,403
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Addisonian wrote: »
    I suppose it just shows how careless he is in the fact that he was more preoccupied in letting everyone see what speed he was doing rather than having respect for other drivers on the road.

An absolute idiot who deserves to be locked up for a long time and have his driving licence taken away permanently.

If memory serves me, I believe he also boasted about not doing much prison time for it either.

ETA: Found the article. http://www.manchestereveningnews.co.uk/news/greater-manchester-news/rochdale-142mph-death-crash-jail-9347525#ICID=FB-MEN-main
    He repeatedly denied to police that he was at the wheel - even though he boasted to friends in text messages that he expected to serve only one year behind bars.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,954
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    That is shocking, 80mph in a 30mph zone.

That sentence is far too lenient to say the least, it's murder!

No better than shooting a gun where people are walking with your eyes closed.

It's not the boasting but the fact he was driving at 142mph with one hand on the wheel and the other using his phone.
  • Options
    Cpt James KirkCpt James Kirk Posts: 287
    Forum Member
    Addisonian wrote: »

As far as i'm aware he had never even passed his test!! Absolute arsehole, as are the people who hired the car for him!!! >:(
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Gnomsie wrote: »
    If memory serves me, I believe he also boasted about not doing much prison time for it either.

Well I hope the sentencing review wipes the smile from his smirky a*se.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    As far as i'm aware he had never even passed his test!! Absolute arsehole, as are the people who hired the car for him!!! >:(

Hope they're suitably punished also.
  • Options
    CELT1987CELT1987 Posts: 12,358
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Well I hope the sentencing review wipes the smile from his smirky a*se.
    Hopefully he'll get his cuppance in jail.