The Magic Show Story

Ian K McIan K Mc Posts: 326
Forum Member
I rather enjoyed that show. I thought that it was interesting that they put on another show fronted by Stephen Mulhern on the night he wasn't hosting Britain's Got More Talent. Stephen is someone who does have a recognisable talent as well as presenting. He was in a more serious mode in this show and his love for magic shone through. As someone who liked watching magic on TV in the 50s, 60s and 70s I was delighted to see clips featuring Robert Harbin (who I did get to meet!) and David Nixon. There are still many David Nixon shows in the archives. It would be great it Network DVD would release some of them. And there were many interesting acts on the Paul Daniels Magic Show. It would be great to see them available on DVD too. I am delighted that magic seems to be making a comeback and that Simon Cowell seems more positively disposed towards magic than he used to.

Comments

• Daniel DareDaniel Dare Posts: 3,503
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I didn't see it. Sounds interesting, when was it on and which station, please?

I was born in 1971, so only remember the tail-end of David Nixon's television appearances but from what I saw of him he was great. He's probably the most inspirational British magician for many magician acts that followed during the 60s, 70s and 80s.
  • Dalekbuster523Dalekbuster523 Posts: 4,596
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Don't know why ITV can't do more interesting stuff as filler than the whole 'The ____ Story' thing. I'd like to see a behind the scenes movie documentary series similar to 'Behind The Magic', delving into how the years' biggest blockbusters are made.
  • JordyDJordyD Posts: 4,007
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I wonder what it felt like for Stephen Mulhern, being surrounded by real magicians?:D
  • The_BonoboThe_Bonobo Posts: 5,648
    Forum Member
    I didn't see it. Sounds interesting, when was it on and which station, please?

I was born in 1971, so only remember the tail-end of David Nixon's television appearances but from what I saw of him he was great. He's probably the most inspirational British magician for many magician acts that followed during the 60s, 70s and 80s.

Didn't know this was on either. I will give it a look.

Daniel here is the link from ITVPlayer...
    https://www.itv.com/itvplayer/spellbound-the-magic-show-story
  • JordyDJordyD Posts: 4,007
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The_Bonobo wrote: »
    Didn't know this was on either. I will give it a look.

Any chance to magic away all the adverts...?:D
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,567
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Did Cooper really deserve a place alongside serious magicians ?

His talent was comedy, not conjuring.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 4,129
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Did Cooper really deserve a place alongside serious magicians ?

His talent was comedy, not conjuring.

Yes, he did. He was a good magician and understood which tricks he could make go wrong and be funny without ruining the tricks. He also did proper magic as well in his comedy.

He also showed that you could fuse comedy and magic with the comedy being slightly higher in the act than the magic but it still work.

Jerry Sadowitz has taken it to the next level with his combination of comedy and magic.

Cooper was a funny magician not a magic comedian.

It was a good show especially for ITV but could easily have been at least 3 episodes - they jumped through the history of TV magic far too quickly.
  • bart4858bart4858 Posts: 11,436
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    The_Bonobo wrote: »

I registered just to watch this (don't normally like doing that).

It started great, but it had a habit of restarting from the beginning. And I couldn't get past the first ad break. It might show a few seconds, then it starts again, half the time having to sit through the same ads at the beginning.

Anyone else have trouble with it? Better still, is there a repeat showing then I can just record it?
  • Andy BirkenheadAndy Birkenhead Posts: 13,450
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I remember a magician on Channel 4 a few years ago. I think he was called Simon Drake or something. He did 'dark' illusions, like impalings and gruesome stuff ! It was great !
    The show was called The Dark Cabinet (or something similar)
  • jsmith99jsmith99 Posts: 20,382
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Was this a repeat? I seem to remember seeing the Paul Daniels chat before. Having watched all the magicians, I turned it off before the end because I couldn't be bothered to watch dynamo.
  • ilovewallanderilovewallander Posts: 42,020
    Forum Member
    I remember a magician on Channel 4 a few years ago. I think he was called Simon Drake or something. He did 'dark' illusions, like impalings and gruesome stuff ! It was great !
    The show was called The Dark Cabinet (or something similar)

I used to love that show! It was called The Secret Cabaret :D
  • carl.waringcarl.waring Posts: 35,699
    Forum Member
    alfster wrote: »
    Yes, he did. He was a good magician and understood which tricks he could make go wrong and be funny without ruining the tricks. He also did proper magic as well in his comedy.

He also showed that you could fuse comedy and magic with the comedy being slightly higher in the act than the magic but it still work.
    Indeed. As was explained on the show, you need to know how to do it right to do it wrong well.

Just like Les Dawson on the Piano.

I enjoyed this too. Wish ITV would do another "Fool Us" with Penn & Teller.
    jsmith99 wrote: »
    Was this a repeat?
    I thought so too; but no it wasn't
  • treefr0gtreefr0g Posts: 23,655
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I remember Robert Harbin from 'Origami'. It was many years before I found out that he was a magician.

I enjoyed the show and I'm still wondering how on earth Dynamo did the card trick in the shard.
  • sickparrotsickparrot Posts: 664
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Paul Daniels part needed more Wizbit.

And leaving Sadowitz out was a travesty, I've never seen anybody do close-up magic as well as him.

"E's are good, E's are good, It's Eben E's are good."

Not enough Ali Bongo either.
  • jsmith99jsmith99 Posts: 20,382
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    [A repeat?]
    I..............I thought so too; but no it wasn't

It must have been another programme, using the same clips. Though in the case of the early TV magicians, there probably wasn't a lot of choice.
  • degsyhufcdegsyhufc Posts: 59,251
    Forum Member
    I enjoyed this too. Wish ITV would do another "Fool Us" with Penn & Teller.
    They're doing a US version with Ross hosting.
    Not sure if it will air in the UK though.
  • carl.waringcarl.waring Posts: 35,699
    Forum Member
    Didn't know that.

I hope it may air over here though. ITV2 maybe?