Going against the grain, moving from PS3 to XBox1

Comments

• He4rtHe4rt Posts: 5,379
    Forum Member
    No point carrying this on now 2D. Chopoff has already said that Deadrising 3 and Ryse look like games from this gen,(no doubt he'll be back to show us a super magnified image of a bush from Ryse that has a blurred shadow.)yet the 'pitchfork and torches' mentality of some on here will carry on calling you out as a fanboy.

I think its best for yourself and this forum if you just stick him on ignore and move on to talking about the many great games and features coming this next generation.
  • gamercraiggamercraig Posts: 6,069
    Forum Member
    In the words of Jack Nicholson in Mars Attacks "why can't we all just get along"

Mind you, he did get flamed after saying that so probably no different to DS forums!!
  • SaddlerSteveSaddlerSteve Posts: 4,325
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    And there you go, always someone to drag down the thread to a "mines bigger than yours"

Maybe take that stick out of your bottom and stop taking things so seriously. :rolleyes: :D
  • Flawed-TacticsFlawed-Tactics Posts: 3,488
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    chopoff wrote: »
    Your denial knows no bounds.

I offer cold hard facts, you offer a 'feeling' that games will be fine.

Utter nonsense. Get a grip my friend, get, a, grip.

Show me one thing that shows the Xbox One has taken a 'deliberate and custom approach' to it's architecture, but the PS4 hasn't. They have the same frigging components the only difference is Xbox One has Windows, PS4 runs a BSD variant so Xbox One has DirectX but PS4 has OpenGL - but Sony has provided a DirectX wrapper so that devs can utilise DirectX code.

The 32mb sDRAM?
  • mred2000mred2000 Posts: 10,050
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    gamercraig wrote: »
    In the words of Jack Nicholson in Mars Attacks "why can't we all just get along"

I normally just link to a YouTube clip of that and run off.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I want an Xbox One but my pre-order is in for the PS4, life is a bitch sometimes!

This one is going to the wire, me thinks :D
  • gamercraiggamercraig Posts: 6,069
    Forum Member
    I want an Xbox One but my pre-order is in for the PS4, life is a bitch sometimes!

This one is going to the wire, me thinks :D

You wouldn't believe how many times I flip-flopped and nearly didn't bother at all to stick with my modded original XBox with tons of retro games!
  • fastest fingerfastest finger Posts: 12,872
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    The 32mb sDRAM?

I was under the impression that was only put in as a cost saving measure to allow the use of cheaper DDR3 RAM. It actually complicates things for developers.
  • 2dshmuplover2dshmuplover Posts: 8,271
    Forum Member
    He4rt wrote: »
    No point carrying this on now 2D. Chopoff has already said that Deadrising 3 and Ryse look like games from this gen,(no doubt he'll be back to show us a super magnified image of a bush from Ryse that has a blurred shadow.)yet the 'pitchfork and torches' mentality of some on here will carry on calling you out as a fanboy.

I think its best for yourself and this forum if you just stick him on ignore and move on to talking about the many great games and features coming this next generation.

I think you may be right, it's probably reached that point now and it disrupting too many threads. Thanks.
    The 32mb sDRAM?

Yeah though it was the 360 that used SDRAM

X1 is using ESRAM, 3-in-1 OS, Kinect and SHAPE custom audio. Regardless how any of us feels abut Kinect it's doing some pretty impressive things even if not directly related to gameplay.
  • HotbirdHotbird Posts: 10,010
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Regardless how any of us feels abut Kinect it's doing some pretty impressive things even if not directly related to gameplay.

Almost all of the impressive things been done with Kinect are from people who have connected their Kinect up to a PC which MS want to put a stop to with the new version.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Hotbird wrote: »
    Almost all of the impressive things been done with Kinect are from people who have connected their Kinect up to a PC which MS want to put a stop to with the new version.

You think? Microsoft actually sell a PC specific version of Kinect for £200. They want people to play with it.

http://www.microsoftstore.com/store/msuk/en_GB/pdp/Kinect-for-Windows/productID.255172200
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    You think? Microsoft actually sell a PC specific version of Kinect for £200. They want people to play with it.

http://www.microsoftstore.com/store/msuk/en_GB/pdp/Kinect-for-Windows/productID.255172200

I have not seen that. I did see that they are blocking people from using the Kinect that comes with the Xbox 1 from working on a PC. People will have to be really serious about tinkering with the Kinect on PC to buy that Windows version rather than someone just connecting up the free Kinect to see what they can do.

Why block the Xbox 1 Kinect from working on a PC?
  • jokerzjokerz Posts: 1,353
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Why block the Xbox 1 Kinect from working on a PC?

££££££££££££ Simple answer. Its a shame really but that's business for you.
    Forum Member

Ah well, I'm hoping for some Indie innovation where Kinect is concerned since it's fully supported with dedicated Unity integration. The heartbeat sensor is also intriguing.

The big thing is of course Oculus Rift, which when paired with Kinect can really begin games to life, I'm convinced it's only a matter of time until this tech reaches mainstream console users, twined with the tech inside Kinect 2.0 it could turn out some real nice results. Something Carmack made mention of during his keynote, the ability to raise your hand/fingers and see it and interact with the game world in front of you would be pretty incredible.
    Forum Member

Yep and Kinect 2.0 is specifically coming to Windows in 2014 too.
  • Red ArrowRed Arrow Posts: 10,889
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Without stirring the pot, where does this "PS4 is 40% more powerful than X1" figure come from?

I'm not looking for some fanboy answer. I'm just wanting some hard facts so I can understand this figure that is always thrown around.

As when comparing the gameplay videos of X1 and PS4 games, I don't see a 40% improvement with the PS4 games.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I'm so glad that I'm very "Bi" when it comes to consoles :D

A lot to be said for swinging both ways.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 198
    Forum Member
    It doesn't matter that PS4 is more powerful, as long as the Xbox one is a leap over the 360 that's good enough for me (and most others) someone else put the nail on the head saying that games are the most important thing, I like that MS have opened several new first party studios and are renting our their franchises to third parties.

Black Tusks stealth game is coming along beautifully apparently.
  • Tictac2Tictac2 Posts: 227
    Forum Member
    Red Arrow wrote: »
    Without stirring the pot, where does this "PS4 is 40% more powerful than X1" figure come from?

I'm not looking for some fanboy answer. I'm just wanting some hard facts so I can understand this figure that is always thrown around.

As when comparing the gameplay videos of X1 and PS4 games, I don't see a 40% improvement with the PS4 games.

It came from "a developer" as quoted on Forbes:
    In talking to a developer who wished to remain anonymous, gamers will see a difference on Day One when they compare third party PS4 games to Xbox One head-to-head. The developer told me the PS4 is 40 percent more powerful than Xbox One and games like Call of Duty Ghosts will be noticeably different out of the gate.

http://www.forbes.com/sites/johngaudiosi/2013/06/15/sony-playstation-4-launch-edition-already-sold-out-at-amazon/
  • mikey86ukmikey86uk Posts: 5,657
    Forum Member
    Cant we all get along? :D

I will end up with both, but starting out with the PS4.

I love the Xbox brand, but the whole Kinect thing put me off for now.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    The game DVR and Skype will only be available to Xbox Live Gold members.

Christ, is there ANYTHING left on this machine that doesn't require a sub?
  • stefmeisterstefmeister Posts: 8,396
    Forum Member

Is the same on the 360, Practically everything on the Dashboard requires gold.

The Gold requirement for practically everything is one of my biggest hates of the direction the Xbox platform went.
    I don't game online much on console's so don't see the point in paying for a Gold sub when I'd virtually never use it. Its a waste of money for people like me yet were then locked out of practically every non-gaming function unless we pay for Gold, Even have to wait a week before having access to free game demo's without gold.

All the demo restriction did was see me download all Multi-Platform demo's on PS3 & I ended up moving all Multi-Platform gaming in general to PS3 unless there were issues with the PS3 version (Bayonetta for example).
    The 360 turned into purely a platform for 360 exclusives after my last Gold sub expired 3-4yrs back.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

I am still shocked people let them get away with charging you to access something you are already paying a subscription for like Netflix :rolleyes:

If only people had stood up to the gamers tax when it began.
  • jokerzjokerz Posts: 1,353
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I am still shocked people let them get away with charging you to access something you are already paying a subscription for like Netflix :rolleyes:

Not surprising really. Before we moved we had to rely on skygo as our previous house couldnt have sky. So we were paying for xboxlive gold and skygo as well as Netflix!

I do think it's a bit off and I have no regrets in getting rid of my xbox 360. The only thing I do miss is Gears of War 2 and 3 as I thought they were excellent.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

Agreed.

To most people here (gamers) it's not really an issue as they will pay for XBLG to get online gaming anyway.

But with Xbox One MS are targeting a wider mass market audience with its multimedia aspirations. I think your average middle class couple, sold an Xbox One as the next big thing in home entertainment by those smooth talkers at John Lewis will be less than happy when they get home to discover they will have to pay £40 a year to use features that Apple, Android, PC, PS3, PS4, Wii, Wii U, Roku, connected Blu-ray players and Smart TVs allow access to for free.