Discovery removed from the Entertainment Pass on NOW TV

YouViewYouView Posts: 2,360
Forum Member
✭✭✭
As part of the dispute between Sky and Discovery, Sky has already removed Discovery from the Entertainment Pass on NOW TV:

http://www.nowtv.com/entertainment#ib-section-section-3

They are now offering "10 of the best pay TV channels" rather than 11.

Full details:
Q: What is the situation between Sky and Discovery?

A: Sky and NOW TV households in the UK and Ireland could lose all of Discovery’s much-loved channels and programmes after 31st January.

Our fans are amongst the most loyal in TV and we have invested significantly to bring world class channels and content to the UK for nearly 30 years.

Our portfolio of 12 channels cater to a wide range of personal tastes and interests from adventure, natural history, science and sports to extraordinary people, families, weddings, and true crime.

We are committed to finding a solution with Sky in order to keep bringing you the channels you love.

Q: Which channels are affected?

A: 12 channels of our channels are affected. They are; Discovery Channel, TLC, Eurosport 1, Eurosport 2, Animal Planet, Investigation Discovery, DMAX, Discovery Turbo, Discovery Shed, Discovery Science, Discovery History and Home & Health.

Q: What if I am a Virgin Media or BT customer?

A: This situation only affects Sky and NOW TV customers.

Q: What do I need to do to make sure I can keep watching my Discovery channels.

A: We hope to be able to tell you more soon. For updates, please check our website discoveryuk.com and Facebook page @DiscoveryUK.

http://keepdiscovery.co.uk/?id=&p=53

Comments

• gothergother Posts: 14,655
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Don't vms owners own a chunk of discovery? If so i wonder if Sky will retaliate when vm and skys deal runs out.
  • joshua_welbyjoshua_welby Posts: 9,017
    Forum Member
    More people flocking to BT/Virgin though if they have BT and/or Virgin in their street
  • WhoAteMeDinnerWhoAteMeDinner Posts: 4,612
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    This is all part of a strategic global media knife fight. Discovery Communications/Eurosport v
    Newscorp/21st Century Fox v Liberty Global/Virgin media.
  • AKWAKW Posts: 1,049
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    YouView wrote: »
    As part of the dispute between Sky and Discovery, Sky has already removed Discovery from the Entertainment Pass on NOW TV:

http://www.nowtv.com/entertainment#ib-section-section-3

They are now offering "10 of the best pay TV channels" rather than 11.

The page linked still shows Discovery in the available channel list, looking this morning I can still get Discovery on my Now TV Entertainment pass.
  • ftakeithftakeith Posts: 3,476
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    AKW wrote: »
    The page linked still shows Discovery in the available channel list, looking this morning I can still get Discovery on my Now TV Entertainment pass.

I never watched Discovery on now tv's enter pass
  • Hunter2660Hunter2660 Posts: 101
    Forum Member

Discovery will be removed after 31 January.
  • AKWAKW Posts: 1,049
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Hunter2660 wrote: »
    Discovery will be removed after 31 January.
    Not "Aleady removed" as stated by you view in his post,
  • YouViewYouView Posts: 2,360
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

I think you may need to refresh your browser, as they have definitely already removed Discovery from the Entertainment Pass lineup. As an existing subscriber you will still be able to view it until the 31st but it is no longer offered as part of this NOW TV package.
  • PatrickBateman1PatrickBateman1 Posts: 924
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    ftakeith wrote: »
    I never watched Discovery on now tv's enter pass

Give this person a medal.
  • paulhgcpaulhgc Posts: 809
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Oh so sky will be passing on the savings to the subscribers with cheaper packages then ?
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Give this person a medal.

I got more than a medal about €767 worth of sky store vouchers in december 2016

I am not a sky tv customer
  • ovbgovbg Posts: 1,451
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    paulhgc wrote: »
    Oh so sky will be passing on the savings to the subscribers with cheaper packages then ?

No and yes.

No, because Sky don't generally pass on savings and right now they are suffering from the likes of Netflix and Prime so they are losing subscribers.

Possibly yes because as they keep losing subscribers, they will need to bring their incredibly expensive and outdated model more into line.

But this is a scary big change for Sky. Cord cutting took a longer time to reach the UK from US because we have such a strong free television industry here. In the US, everything costs money - even free-to-air TV. So there were a lot more people trying to pay less.

But now that Prime and Netflix are such attractive competitors to Sky, unless Sky has content (like GOT) that people so desperately want to watch - and they can do that for a cheaper on Now TV, many will leave.

This is one of the reasons why Discovery is causing so many problems. On one hand Sky is losing money and subscribers, and spending more money on the EPL which is bringing up the total cost of their service even to those who don't watch the EPL that they have to pay Discovery less. This makes Discovery less interested in being on the platform and they may decide to just go OTT (which the general industry trend anyway).

Discovery and Sky may resolve their issues over the next few weeks, but this will be an ongoing problem with Sky.

Sky's news that they will offer SkyQ OTT from next year may look like they have a solution on the horizon, but unless they are preparing to drop prices to keep in line with Netflix and Prime for the entertainment and movie channels, and offer Sky Q as an app-only experience (which they are not) then their solution may not be enough.
  • Philip WalesPhilip Wales Posts: 6,373
    Forum Member
    ^^ Do you think Netflix has the money to do a deal with Discovery, they already show quite a few shows, wonder if they could go the whole hog.
  • midlandsfirstmidlandsfirst Posts: 1,917
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

I believe he means from the website page advertising which channels are available, not from the actual service
  • paulhgcpaulhgc Posts: 809
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    ^^ Do you think Netflix has the money to do a deal with Discovery, they already show quite a few shows, wonder if they could go the whole hog.

90 million subscribers $306 profit in 2015 i would say it has a massive reach and live tv is something it is missing
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

They have the money, but is it worth the effort?

If Netflix wanted to add live TV into the mix, they would have to compete against the big UK FTA broadcasters even before we start to add in Sky's channels. If you were to look at the ratings war, the big 3 main FTA broadcasters (BBC, ITV, 4) take the lions share of audience numbers. Sky One is the best Sky has and that is so far down the line in comparison. Netflix would have a hell of a ratings battle for lackluster channels.

Discovery channels are not that high a ratings mover, which is why Sky didn't want to pay that much for them.

Discovery's best option would be to go OTT or align with a UK version of Hulu that "may" pop up in the future to concentrate on their content via on-demand with Live as an "option".
  • Philip WalesPhilip Wales Posts: 6,373
    Forum Member
    I wasn't thinking of live TV tbh, just buying up whole current series, instead of allowing Discovery to sell to others as a live TV package. I mean live TV is dying anyway, maybe Discovery wouldn't be adverse to the idea.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I wasn't thinking of live TV tbh, just buying up whole current series, instead of allowing Discovery to sell to others as a live TV package. I mean live TV is dying anyway, maybe Discovery wouldn't be adverse to the idea.

See the last paragraph :) Yes, it is actually a likely route for Discovery.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Sky TV prices will go up further in the future

The Now TV Entertainment Pass has extra documentary content from PBS America, History and the main National Geographic Channel. It used to only the National Geographic Wild.
    Its mostly content I saw already shown on bbctv and PBS America on freesat such as Ken Burns's The civil war etc.

I think Now TV viewers are the winner in this spat
  • SkipTracerSkipTracer Posts: 2,959
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭