Comments

• Options
    FuddFudd Posts: 167,002
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    yorkie100 wrote: »
    They are getting nearly as bad as BBC schedulers !!!!:D

Nearly as bad? They're worse! :o

Is Lucy Beale's death the storyline to turnaround EastEnders? Very possibly looking at that figure. Great for Jamaica Inn and Neighbours; poor for Tommy Cooper.
  • Options
    scotchscotch Posts: 10,616
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    dan2008 wrote: »
    Tonight should have been the episode EastEnders advertised.
    Adam Woodyatt second UK Trend (3 others tonight)

Adam Woodyatt is now trending worldwide.....He sure is loved :)

Seriously though if you've not seen EastEnders in years give it ago tonight.
    Catch up if you can. There is some humour and lightness in there too.

I gave it a go last night. Last time I watched was when Pauline Fowler died.

I was struck by the 'brightness' of everything - the vic, houses etc. I'm sure it used to be much darker. Maybe the contrast on my tv.
  • Options
    dan2008dan2008 Posts: 37,281
    Forum Member
    Agreed. It was a powerful, emotionally-charged, brilliantly directed episode. Probably the best character-led episode I've seen since Billie's death.

Unfortunately, it looks like CL football might dent it a bit, albeit not as much as it would have been dented if a team like Man Utd were in the semis, as opposed to Chelsea.
    It's so nice to see it being praised so highly across the net.
    I have seen a few comments about people missing 15mins of the football :o

It was very powerfull. I'd go as far as saying that was one of the most emotional scenes of soap ever. I never really get emotional at TV.

Proper Character driven scenes at it's best.

Thursday will be even better as it's just set in the Beales house with just the family and Dot.
  • Options
    ftvftv Posts: 31,668
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    cylon6 wrote: »
    It's a Champions League semi final match with a British team. People will watch and that will dent EastEnders. And maybe some that watched last night won't tune in for tonight. Hopefully it won't drop too much.

Also with Jamaica Inn sound problems and the tone of it might see viewers tune out in large numbers.

I expect dips for Jamaica Inn and EastEnders but hopefully not too large a drop.

How can a prestigious BBC1 drama which has been through post-production and also been rehearsed before transmission have ''sound problems'' ? I see the BBC have apologised.
  • Options
    H of De VilH of De Vil Posts: 26,539
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Katherine Parkinson, Darren Boyd to lead new ITV sitcoms

Both have signed up for two news ITV sitcom pilots.

http://www.digitalspy.co.uk/tv/news/a566015/katherine-parkinson-darren-boyd-to-lead-new-itv-sitcoms.html

Better to do this than commission a full series of something they is destined to flop, ala Edge of Heaven
  • Options
    Forum Member
    scotch wrote: »
    I gave it a go last night. Last time I watched was when Pauline Fowler died.

I was struck by the 'brightness' of everything - the vic, houses etc. I'm sure it used to be much darker. Maybe the contrast on my tv.
    DTC wanted it brought right into 2014 and he's done it. Have you seen Sharon's Bar? It wouldn't look out of place in London or New York.
  • Options
    H of De VilH of De Vil Posts: 26,539
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

It was very powerfull. I'd go as far as saying that was one of the most emotional scenes of soap ever. I never really get emotional at TV.

Thursday will be even better as it's just set in the Beales house with just the family and Dot.

Given that I doubt you watched every soap storyline, you can't really make that statement. Probably the most emotional in EE.
  • Options
    allthingsukallthingsuk Posts: 6,035
    Forum Member

The Chelsea/Atletico been a bit dull tonight tbh, very tight game. And I didn't miss much by not watching the first 15 mins.

If they can maintain the quality throughout the week and hopefully the ratings, this will be the best week for EE in a long time. I just hope it holds up OK versus the game tonight, but it shouldn't be dented too much as I said.

BIB 1 - Hmm...there have been some pretty emotional scenes in all four main soaps, especially in Corrie and Hollyoaks in the past. But it will probably be up there as one of the most emotional scenes of EE in recent memory.
  • Options
    yorkie100yorkie100 Posts: 9,372
    Forum Member
    Tonight should have been the episode EastEnders advertised.
    Adam Woodyatt second UK Trend (3 others tonight)

Actually although I was critcal of last night having seen all the eps I think it was paced just right with the culmination we saw tonight. Might have been better to have tonights ep yesterday would be my only gipe.
  • Options
    AndyB2007AndyB2007 Posts: 1,327
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    cylon6 wrote: »
    Neighbours and EastEnders showed yesterday that they aren't as dead as some people think. Casual viewers can be interested if you give them a reason to.

River City could do one as Corrie/Neighbours and EE are at it - cross Vicky Pearson and Gervaise into Shieldinch, but write them off after a few months in a Sue Sullivan/Julie Martin style plotline.

Scarlett, Madonna, well all the cast would be in the frame.

They could revive Joan Ferguson and bring her into the plot.:D
  • Options
    hyperstarspongehyperstarsponge Posts: 16,706
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    The Chelsea/Atletico been a bit dull tonight tbh, very tight game. And I didn't miss much by not watching the first 15 mins.

If they can maintain the quality throughout the week and hopefully the ratings, this will be the best week for EE in a long time. I just hope it holds up OK versus the game tonight, but it shouldn't be dented too much as I said.

BBC Two, Channel 4 and Channel 5 may get a boost too.
  • Options
    Ice dragon1Ice dragon1 Posts: 19,558
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Completely agree with Dan. EE was tonight powerful and emotional.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Completely agree with Dan. EE was tonight powerful and emotional.
    Even Sky News tweeted about the amount of Trends EastEnders has got.

Seriously though it's brilliant to see people that normally slate EastEnders praise it.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

Seriously though it's brilliant to see people that normally slate EastEnders praise it.

Am glad it's final getting the praise it deserves. Tonight especially as Adam was fantastic.
  • Options
    scotchscotch Posts: 10,616
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    DTC wanted it brought right into 2014 and he's done it. Have you seen Sharon's Bar? It wouldn't look out of place in London or New York.

I have to admit to being impressed, both yesterday and tonight.
  • Options
    xeoxeo Posts: 6,429
    Forum Member
    Am glad it's final getting the praise it deserves. Tonight especially as Adam was fantastic.

It's not like there was much to praise before this year! :p

Really fantastic episode tonight, I criticised last night's episode but in hindsight I think it was done perfectly. Really good acting as well from everyone.
  • Options
    Rowan HedgeRowan Hedge Posts: 3,861
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    EE will only see a short term boost as it has when sensationalised stories have happened in the past, after this week it will be back to normal, year on year the ratings for all soaps will continue to decrease.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    xeo wrote: »
    It's not like there was much to praise before this year! :p

Really fantastic episode tonight, I criticised last night's episode but in hindsight I think it was done perfectly. Really good acting as well from everyone.

True :D although it has improved a hell of a lot since DTC took over. Plus glad you enjoyed it Xeo.
  • Options
    SamuelWSamuelW Posts: 8,447
    Forum Member
    Yesterdays ratings are why I enjoy following ratings, perfect for BBC One. The 9pm drama absolutely demolished Itv's 9pm drama - I did say the buzz seemed to indicate this. Terrible rating for the heavily trailed Tommy Cooper drama. Jamaica Inn will probably fall but with it starting over 6m, it's got plenty of room to do so.

Wonderful rating for EastEnders. Promoting the show in every BBC1 junction for three days and also radio trailing it helped boost it by 1million and beat Coro. Great news for its staff and fans, hopefully viewers will stick with it now. Coro being beaten was a big sign, it hasnt happened in years outside of xmas period.
  • Options
    ftvftv Posts: 31,668
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    AndyB2007 wrote: »
    River City could do one as Corrie/Neighbours and EE are at it - cross Vicky Pearson and Gervaise into Shieldinch, but write them off after a few months in a Sue Sullivan/Julie Martin style plotline.

Scarlett, Madonna, well all the cast would be in the frame.

They could revive Joan Ferguson and bring her into the plot.:D

BBC2 should network River City, apart from anything else it would get the Scottish production quotas up now Waterloo Road is on the way out.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    EE will only see a short term boost as it has when sensationalised stories have happened in the past, after this week it will be back to normal, year on year the ratings for all soaps will continue to decrease.
    That's what it actually isn't. The focus hasn't been on the Murder but the actual Grief of a family.

It's been very character driven and true to life. More like one of those Drama specials then soap tbh.
  • Options
    jsam93jsam93 Posts: 808
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Markynotts wrote: »
    EastEnders was the most-watched soap of the day, rising to 8.18m (34.6%) at 8pm on BBC One as Ian Beale was told that his daughter Lucy had been found dead. BBC Three's repeat screening secured 265k (6.0%) at 12.05am.

Elsewhere, Coronation Street pulled in 7.8m (35.1%) at 7.30pm on ITV as Steve began to lose patience with Tina's deception, while the show rose to 8.09m (33.1%) at 8.30pm and 204k (0.9%) on +1 as Steve decided to confront Tina with his knowledge of her affair.

Emmerdale attracted 6.32m (30.8%) at 7pm on ITV and 131k (0.6%) on +1 as James tried to get answers from Moira over Adam's paternity.

Airing against the Neighbours special, Hollyoaks was dented to 788k (4.2%) at 6.30pm on Channel 4 as Holly and Jason found a dead body, while E4's first look followed with 786k (3.8%) at 7pm and 109k (0.5%) on +1.

The Ramsay Street soap claimed 1.1m (6.9%) at 5.30pm as Kate was shot on her birthday, while the show soared to 1.41m (7.5%) at 6.30pm with a first look episode which revealed Kate's fate. The show also had 475k (5.9%) with Part One of the shooting at the earlier time of 12.45pm.

Back when Channel 5 first got the rights to Neighbours in 2007, I said that they should try it out in the 6.30 slot and I have always maintained that ever since. It seems I have been validated
  • Options
    yorkie100yorkie100 Posts: 9,372
    Forum Member

Not on here though !!!:D
  • Options
    Forum Member
    yorkie100 wrote: »
    Not on here though !!!:D
    The soap forums is full of praise :o
  • Options
    BigOrangeBigOrange Posts: 59,674
    Forum Member
    jsam93 wrote: »
    Back when Channel 5 first got the rights to Neighbours in 2007, I said that they should try it out in the 6.30 slot and I have always maintained that ever since. It seems I have been validated
    Trouble is if they moved it to 6.30 they would have to air Newstalk Live's replacement 5 News Tonight even later in the evening. Not ideal when it doesn't rate well and there are more viewers available after 7PM. Also they don't have enough half hour shows to marry up with 5NT.

Now if Ofcom were a well run regulator they would consider it perfectly acceptable for C5 to simply extend their main 5PM programme to one hour and do away with the 6.30 bulletin, perhaps running more 5 News Updates in peak as well. But they won't allow that despite the compelling evidence the viewing figures provides, which makes the kind of schedule reshuffle you are talking about difficult.
This discussion has been closed.