Options

Channel 5 General Discussion

Comments

• Options
    ocavocav Posts: 2,341
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Another thing they can do with Big Brother is to put live feed on Viacom other channels.

Never gonna happen.

1) live feed is way to expensive to maintain
    2) they will want to keep big brother just under the Channel 5 umbrella
  • Options
    CharnhamCharnham Posts: 61,394
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    if Neighbours can be on Viva, no reason BigB can not do the same, I would speculate however the biggest barrier to that happening, is the late night / ealry morning telly shopping, that im sure is on most of those channels now.

Seen quite a few promos for Comedy Central shows tonight, would be a shame, if none of those shows ended up on C5, I know Comedy Central is pay TV, so C5 may not have the free to air rights to all of those shows, but it might for some of them.
  • Options
    AndyB2007AndyB2007 Posts: 1,327
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Dancc wrote: »
    A few bits of news from the last couple of days:

* Gotham launch date set for Monday 13th October at 9pm. Watch the trailer here: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cI2V1C6FcgA

* Broadcast reports some early show sharing deals have been agreed: Omnibus editions of Home & Away and Neighbours will screen on VIVA, whilst Catfish will begin airing on 5*.

Are Viacom going to have the 1 minute long credits of Neighbours like 11 on Fridays in Australia for the omnibus, or are they going to air them speeded up a la C5?
  • Options
    BigOrangeBigOrange Posts: 59,674
    Forum Member
    AndyB2007 wrote: »
    Are Viacom going to have the 1 minute long credits of Neighbours like 11 on Fridays in Australia for the omnibus, or are they going to air them speeded up a la C5?
    Frankly I doubt it's something the bigwigs at Viacom have thought about, nor is it likely to be a consideration. This sort of thing will be decided by the same people that made these kind of decisions previously, given there has been no personnel changes.

In this era of credit squeezing to the extent they can't even be read, just be thankful there is a closing sequence of some description and not just a fade to black followed by the sponsor sting. :)
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Charnham wrote: »
    Seen quite a few promos for Comedy Central shows tonight, would be a shame, if none of those shows ended up on C5, I know Comedy Central is pay TV, so C5 may not have the free to air rights to all of those shows, but it might for some of them.
    What Comedy Central shows did you see advertised on C5? I've seen the one for Give Out Girls quite a bit, don't recall seeing any others yet.

If Viacom are working to get Ex On The Beach repeated on one of their newly acquired FTA channels, then obviously their carriage agreement with Sky is more flexible than it was made to sound by the controller of MTV UK when interviewed at MGEITF. This could pave the way for some Comedy Central shows to hop across. It would be nice for example to see the first few seasons of The Middle turn up on a C5 channel, and that Freeview exposure could boost ratings for the first run episodes.
  • Options
    Gary_LandyFanGary_LandyFan Posts: 3,824
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    What Comedy Central shows did you see advertised on C5? I've seen the one for Give Out Girls quite a bit, don't recall seeing any others yet.

If Viacom are working to get Ex On The Beach repeated on one of their newly acquired FTA channels, then obviously their carriage agreement with Sky is more flexible than it was made to sound by the controller of MTV UK when interviewed at MGEITF. This could pave the way for some Comedy Central shows to hop across. It would be nice for example to see the first few seasons of The Middle turn up on a C5 channel, and that Freeview exposure could boost ratings for the first run episodes.
    Give Out Girls in the only one I have seen, butt then I have only watched C5 once which was for The Gadget Show earlier. There was a promo for this every ad break, hardly surprising since Viacom also own CC.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Give Out Girls in the only one I have seen, nit then I have only watched C5 once which was for The Gadget Show earlier. There was a promo for this every ad break, hardly surprising since Viacom also own CC.
    Starts a week today. Will be very interesting to see how it rates.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    What Comedy Central shows did you see advertised on C5? I've seen the one for Give Out Girls quite a bit, don't recall seeing any others yet..
    sorry I was Ffwd, so didnt see the promos in full, but that sounds about right, judging by what I saw.
  • Options
    Gary_LandyFanGary_LandyFan Posts: 3,824
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    There did seem to be limited ads at times, I swear one ad break in The Gadget had one advert and the rest were promos.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 7,488
    Forum Member

Depends if Comedy Central has the rights or not, Sony Entertainment TV acquired Community after VIVA dropped it, but they still don't show season 1...

And Sky showed The Middle on Pick TV, so the strategy doesn't neccesarily work...
  • Options
    Forum Member
    There did seem to be limited ads at times, I swear one ad break in The Gadget had one advert and the rest were promos.
    It's normal for C5 to run few ads between 6:30PM and 8PM as they often rate low here. They can run more ads during bigger programmes later in the evening that way. ITV will do the same thing on a Saturday night. You might get little to none actual commercials during The Chase or whatever but they maximise their ad minutes during X Factor.

I'd like to see Viacom work on making C5 more competitive at 7PM. Not sure it'll be high on the list of priorities though.
  • Options
    hyperstarspongehyperstarsponge Posts: 16,707
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    One thing they could do is re-brand Five* and VIVA.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 7,488
    Forum Member

Why though? Channel 5 have rebranded 5* several times, and it hasn't worked. Also, what's wrong with VIVA?
  • Options
    hyperstarspongehyperstarsponge Posts: 16,707
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Why though? Channel 5 have rebranded 5* several times, and it hasn't worked. Also, what's wrong with VIVA?

VIVA just looks bit old now with that up your VIVA thing.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    the biggest problem will be how to brand them, so that they both come under the same over all branding arc, but be differnt from each other.
  • Options
    DVDfeverDVDfever Posts: 18,535
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Archiex wrote: »
    They really need to get HD sorted to. It really is now the norm and should be on Freeview and freesat. With the phasing out of SD sooner rather than later.

I want to watch Gotham and even though I don't have sky, I will watch it in HD.
    Channel 5's choice, not mine!

Agreed re: HD, but SD won't get phased out any time soon, if ever.
    Motthus wrote: »
    Geektown are still saying The Walking Dead is at 10pm on the 13 but they are obviously wrong if the Fox website says 9pm.Its a pity that it has to class with Gotham and I hope it does effect it's ratings!

I'm not a Walking Dead fan, but the DVDs are 18-cert which means it's a show that won't start before 10pm due to the content.
    It's funny that Channel 5 always seem to pick up the popular US shows but then drop them.If it had given all the US shows a fair chance then it would have a great selection of US shows.I still think that 5* and 5USA need to replaced by one channel with a HD version that can show reruns of the popular US shows that Channel 5 own the rights for!

If people watched them, they'd keep them. They don't, so they get dropped.
    Frankly I doubt it's something the bigwigs at Viacom have thought about, nor is it likely to be a consideration. This sort of thing will be decided by the same people that made these kind of decisions previously, given there has been no personnel changes.

In this era of credit squeezing to the extent they can't even be read, just be thankful there is a closing sequence of some description and not just a fade to black followed by the sponsor sting. :)

I'd rather they did that. If they're not going to show them properly, get rid. Anything to get rid of the frigging flickturds at the likes of Red Bee Media!
  • Options
    hmeisterhmeister Posts: 2,371
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

5* is a mess and needs changing.

But VIVA can be fantastic channel and competition for ITV2/E4/BBC Three if they give it a makeover and add some new shows.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Carriage agreements with Sky have nothing to do with the rights they own.

The Middles rights are currently with Sky 1 (Seasons 1-4) and Comedy Central (5&First Run), these rights are managed by Warner Bros, and Viacom get no say in moving stuff over to other channels.

Ex on the Beach is real easy to move over the Channel 5 because it's distributer is MTV Networks.
  • Options
    omnidirectionalomnidirectional Posts: 18,822
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    ocav wrote: »
    Carriage agreements with Sky have nothing to do with the rights they own.

The Middles rights are currently with Sky 1 (Seasons 1-4) and Comedy Central (5&First Run), these rights are managed by Warner Bros, and Viacom get no say in moving stuff over to other channels.

Ex on the Beach is real easy to move over the Channel 5 because it's distributer is MTV Networks.

Carriage with Sky does have an impact. Certain shows must be kept exclusive and can not be shown on free to air TV for a set number of years. Geordie Shore is one of these which is why even the first series hasn't appeared on VIVA yet.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    DVDfever wrote: »

I'm not a Walking Dead fan, but the DVDs are 18-cert which means it's a show that won't start before 10pm due to the content.

Well they are showing it at 9.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Carriage with Sky does have an impact. Certain shows must be kept exclusive and can not be shown on free to air TV for a set number of years. Geordie Shore is one of these which is why even the first series hasn't appeared on VIVA yet.

No, carriage agreements will contain a clause which may state that a certain percentage of content cannot be shown elsewhere for 12 months, generally this is okay because first run rights generally will last 12 months.

Ever thought there might be a possible chance that the commissioners for VIVA might feel that they don't want it on the channel, or that MTV might want to sell it to a 3rd party? Or even just keep it MTV exclusive themselves?
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    ocav wrote: »
    No, carriage agreements will contain a clause which may state that a certain percentage of content cannot be shown elsewhere for 12 months, generally this is okay because first run rights generally will last 12 months.

Ever thought there might be a possible chance that the commissioners for VIVA might feel that they don't want it on the channel, or that MTV might want to sell it to a 3rd party? Or even just keep it MTV exclusive themselves?

No, because VIVA doesn't have a commissioner. It's overseen by exactly the same staff as MTV. And the "12 months" you speak of can actually be up to 3 years (speaking in general, not specifically about any particular broadcaster).

But anyway, here's the first bit of C5 related info from this morning's Broadcasting Press Guild event.
    Steve Clarke @333_steve ‏7 minutes ago
    Viacom chief Phillippe Dauman in fighting form at BPG press breakfast. He warned he wants C5 to overtake C4 but ruled out other UK buys.
  • Options
    pburke90pburke90 Posts: 14,758
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    VIVA could be evolved into something akin to 4 Music showing music during the day and comedy shows at night, but brought under the Channel 5 brand instead of VIVA which is kind of out on it's own brand wise. "5 Music"? "Mu5ic"?

5* could also do with renaming, perhaps 5 Extra? 5* doesn't really say anything as an indication as to what the channel will show or what it is about. The problem for naming the channels is that with the BBC and ITV they can just stick numbers on the end, but C4 and C5 both end with a numeral so having two numerals in a row would just look strange, so they can't have Channel 5 2 although I believe back when it was called FIVE the original plan was to have 5 USA and 5* called FIVE.2 and FIVE.3. At least C4 have done the best they can with E4, More 4, Film 4, 4 Music, but if C5 had 5 Movies, 5 Extra and something to re-brand VIVA as, it could be a huge improvement over what they have now. They also need to sort out their picture quality on satellite. 11 channels on one transponder looks atrocious. Buy another transponder and have the main channels on one and all the +1 services on another like Channel 4 do.

Then work on getting Channel 5 HD FTA at the very least, with HD versions of the other channels a bonus. If they did make a movie channel or even keep 5 USA as it is (although the name USA seriously limits it's scope) then they would be mad to not have a HD version of them launched soon. A hell of a lot of content 5 USA shows is available in HD.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    [HIGHLIGHT]BREAKING NEWS[/HIGHLIGHT]: Viacom to launch Spike TV in UK

Viacom is to launch its male-skewing US channel Spike TV on Freeview in the UK, replacing Viva on Freeview slot 21.

www.broadcastnow.co.uk
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    That's an exciting development and much better use of the slot.

Spike UK will be managed by the C5 team and VIVA content will be made available to 5*.