Obsessive Compulsive Cleaners C4 Now

Comments

• Jimmy ConnorsJimmy Connors Posts: 117,873
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    I don't believe much of anything on these shows. The man in this week's show was a true hoarder. I don't think the woman and he could clean his bath and kitchen even in four days. He hasn't changed his habits one iota, I believe.

And in the other house, it was more laziness and junk piling up than true hoarding, so it was maybe possible to throw out everything in the amount of time, but painting, no way.

I think the producers for some reason don't want to show a true hoard and a true cleanup, which usually takes professionals. They like a happy ending to all their stories.

I agree. I noticed in the house with the lady and small child the bathroom had been re-grouted (around the bath) We saw none of that.
  • China GirlChina Girl Posts: 2,755
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I think some of it is staged anyway. Yes the houses are dirty and cluttered, but last week's showed boxes piled high on a toilet seat, so did they take them off when needing the toilet, then put them back on, and this all day and night?
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 756
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    China Girl wrote: »
    I think some of it is staged anyway. Yes the houses are dirty and cluttered, but last week's showed boxes piled high on a toilet seat, so did they take them off when needing the toilet, then put them back on, and this all day and night?

Many of the hoarders on the U.S. show stopped using the toilet. It was usually broken anyway or just piled high with junk. They used jars and plastic bags.
  • Bonnie ScotlandBonnie Scotland Posts: 2,211
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    What's her name can give me a dettol bath any time :)
  • RhumbatuggerRhumbatugger Posts: 85,713
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Ten_Ben wrote: »
    It didn't quite add up to me. The boy's father only moved out six months ago and still the house hadn't been cleaned for three years. She only worked one morning a week. Lazy, yes, but surely not the whole story, presumably the father was just as bad? Boiling frog syndrome aside, I'll never understand how having a baby doesn't spur someone into keeping the house clean. If that doesn't, would anything?! :confused:

Loved the way, how during four days of intense cleaning etc, they still had time to get the paintbrushes out :D

I didn't really watch the rest of the program properly but this girl was obviously a bit depressed and felt helpless. Her mother enabled all this, a bit.

In the end she tried, and even though it is hard, we HAVE to.

In a weird way, I felt her child was very loved, and the 'superwoman's' children were actually emotionally deprived and very unhappy.
  • Ten_BenTen_Ben Posts: 2,534
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I didn't really watch the rest of the program properly but this girl was obviously a bit depressed and felt helpless. Her mother enabled all this, a bit.

In the end she tried, and even though it is hard, we HAVE to.

In a weird way, I felt her child was very loved, and the 'superwoman's' children were actually emotionally deprived and very unhappy.

I have no doubt the son was very much loved, it showed. The way the show is presented, we always seem to get the impression that the OCD people's homes and lives are very structured, regimented, clinical and without any spontineity. I hope things aren't really like that but it's the impression one gets.

I find it amazing how the hoarders/non-cleaners become so adept at working around their problem and living with it, finding imaginative ways to sit, sleep, work, store thigs etc rather than face the daunting task of actually trying to sort the problem.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Ten_Ben wrote: »
    I have no doubt the son was very much loved, it showed. The way the show is presented, we always seem to get the impression that the OCD people's homes and lives are very structured, regimented, clinical and without any spontineity. I hope things aren't really like that but it's the impression one gets.

I find it amazing how the hoarders/non-cleaners become so adept at working around their problem and living with it, finding imaginative ways to sit, sleep, work, store thigs etc rather than face the daunting task of actually trying to sort the problem.

I don't know. That son didn't seem too happy to see his mother, nor happy to see the clean house. Most kids would be jumping up and down for joy. That woman had time to manicure her nails, but not tend to her toilet.
    The OCD woman probably was a bit too strict on her kids, but I think they will turn out better in the long run. She seemed kind and loving.
  • BlueEyedMrsPBlueEyedMrsP Posts: 12,178
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I feel sorry for kids with parents who make them clean up every time they play. Kids should be allowed to have their toys out and be a little untidy. Seems very unnatural to me to not let kids be kids. Get them to tidy once a week or before bedtime if it bothers you that much. Maybe they're not nagging them, but I do get that impression on this show from the ocd parents.
  • burton07burton07 Posts: 10,871
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I feel sorry for kids with parents who make them clean up every time they play. Kids should be allowed to have their toys out and be a little untidy. Seems very unnatural to me to not let kids be kids. Get them to tidy once a week or before bedtime if it bothers you that much. Maybe they're not nagging them, but I do get that impression on this show from the ocd parents.

Having their toys out is one thing, but not cleaning the toilet for 4 years is just gross.
  • BlueEyedMrsPBlueEyedMrsP Posts: 12,178
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    burton07 wrote: »
    Having their toys out is one thing, but not cleaning the toilet for 4 years is just gross.

I agree. I guess what I'm saying is that the show plays up the negative behavior of the hoarder but misses a step by not pointing out that the ocd parenting style can also have a negative impact on kids. Our first instinct is dirty house = bad parenting and immaculate house = diligent parenting but there's a bigger picture too. I think the actual ocd aspect of the show is just given lip service, that these people just like to clean. It could just be that I see the show through my own bias, ie. I don't believe in having everything hygienic all the time; exposure to germs (in moderation) is good for our immune system.
  • jafinjafin Posts: 92
    Forum Member
    Hi guys, first off I would like to thank the few of you for your non judgmental comments!
    I didn't make all that mess, my ex also lived there until he left me, so why should it all be down to me? This is the point they didn't put across.... The wee on the toilet was left by a fully grown man who clearly couldn't aim properly!!! I got stuck in a rut and needed help so I got it, not a lot of people would! My house is now a home and I am keeping on top of it! I couldn't/ can't do it when my son is in bed, because he goes to bed the time as me, and sleeps in my bed because he is insecure since his father left, not because he couldn't get in his room...... He is too scared to stay in there because that's where he was the night his dad left! I couldn't get all this across on the show for personal reasons! They also got their facts mixed up when they were talking about my son being at Nursery 4 days a week, and failed to mention while he was there because it was half an hour away on the bus I stayed in the town because by the time I get home it would've been time to go back again! He now goes to preschool 15mins walk from home 2 days a week so I have got into a routine and keep on top of it! Also before this year I was working 30 hours a week while my ex sat at home..... Surely he coulda done something to help me out?!
    The reason why my little boy didn't look too happy was because we had just been sitting on a park bench for 3 hours while they did 'finishing touches' he fell asleep and wet himself so when we got back to the house I had to get one of the crew to get clean clothes so I could get him changed! He had also been living in the house for the 3 days this was all going on so it wasn't really a surprise to him.... It is all very staged, I wasn't allowed to do anything for about a month even if I wanted to, including wash up, and clean out the rabbit (I drew the line at these) and yes you are correct the bath was re-grouted! They also didn't show much of me doing the cleaning and tidying.....
    Oh and my mum gave up nagging me years ago! ;)
  • Ten_BenTen_Ben Posts: 2,534
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    jafin wrote: »
    Hi guys, first off I would like to thank the few of you for your non judgmental comments!
    I didn't make all that mess, my ex also lived there until he left me, so why should it all be down to me? This is the point they didn't put across.... The wee on the toilet was left by a fully grown man who clearly couldn't aim properly!!! I got stuck in a rut and needed help so I got it, not a lot of people would! My house is now a home and I am keeping on top of it! I couldn't/ can't do it when my son is in bed, because he goes to bed the time as me, and sleeps in my bed because he is insecure since his father left, not because he couldn't get in his room...... He is too scared to stay in there because that's where he was the night his dad left! I couldn't get all this across on the show for personal reasons! They also got their facts mixed up when they were talking about my son being at Nursery 4 days a week, and failed to mention while he was there because it was half an hour away on the bus I stayed in the town because by the time I get home it would've been time to go back again! He now goes to preschool 15mins walk from home 2 days a week so I have got into a routine and keep on top of it! Also before this year I was working 30 hours a week while my ex sat at home..... Surely he coulda done something to help me out?!
    The reason why my little boy didn't look too happy was because we had just been sitting on a park bench for 3 hours while they did 'finishing touches' he fell asleep and wet himself so when we got back to the house I had to get one of the crew to get clean clothes so I could get him changed! He had also been living in the house for the 3 days this was all going on so it wasn't really a surprise to him.... It is all very staged, I wasn't allowed to do anything for about a month even if I wanted to, including wash up, and clean out the rabbit (I drew the line at these) and yes you are correct the bath was re-grouted! They also didn't show much of me doing the cleaning and tidying.....

Hiya :-) Thanks for the background. Pleased to hear that things are working out :-)

We know it's all staged and parts of it are built up for effect or are barely explained. That's why I said what was presented to us 'didn't add up'. I know it's a TV show but it kind of loses some of its effect when so much important background is ignored. They seem to want to suggest that people are lazy when, as you've shown, there's usually a lot more to it.

Anyway, good to hear things are now okay and hopefully your son will be able to put to the difficult past few months behind him.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

Thanks for the background. Hope you and your son are doing well.

Its interesting that you weren't allowed to clean for a month. I rather suspected that on some of the episodes, where in spite of the best efforts of the producers, the house just looks like a mess, but doesn't look deep down dirty. Others DO look deep down dirty :)

Good luck in maintaining the house..............
    Forum Member
    Thank you! He loves it, it was his birthday last week and he was finally able to have friends over! And I was able to host a girly night last night with a few of my friends which I have never been able to do.... Needless to say it was a blast! :) and inhave cleared up the mess this morning ;)
    It is lovely to see some nice comments, and even the negative ones are having a positive impact! My son is dearly loved, by everyone!!! And I would never put him
    In danger! I even had a few strangers come up to me in the street with some lovely comments! X
  • ntscuserntscuser Posts: 8,246
    Forum Member
    Nice to hear your side it it Jafin. I'm a borderline hoarder myself so know just how easy it is to let things get out of control. The programme tries to portray all the participants as 'freaks' when they're really just ordinary people with a particular problem.
    Forum Member
    Exactly..... I admitted in the show I dont/didn't enjoy cleaning..... I would rather be with my son, the other thing they didn't put across which a few people picked up on is where did I find the room to play..... Well that was another important factor..... We were out lost of the time..... We didn't spend any time at home because I just couldn't face it!
    And the reason why I did my nails and hair, and lookes after our physical appearance was simply because people saw us, they didn't see the house.... Again this was one of the first things I said when filming and it got edited out!
  • myssmyss Posts: 16,527
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I've been looking for this thread but the search always comes up with a zero!!
    I agree. I noticed in the house with the lady and small child the bathroom had been re-grouted (around the bath) We saw none of that.
    China Girl wrote: »
    I too reckon some of it is staged, I don't believe that two people work over a few days to clear months/years of rubbish, dirt, grime and the rest to get it cleared let alone cleaned to the standards that the OCD-type cleaners like to have.

And as for the 'dettol-baths' on the episode the other week, my family have always done this - even when I was little and I'm a parent now! It's only a small amount needed in the water, so it's not like we come out the bath smelling of it.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Thank you! He loves it, it was his birthday last week and he was finally able to have friends over! And I was able to host a girly night last night with a few of my friends which I have never been able to do.... Needless to say it was a blast! :) and inhave cleared up the mess this morning ;)
    It is lovely to see some nice comments, and even the negative ones are having a positive impact! My son is dearly loved, by everyone!!! And I would never put him
    In danger! I even had a few strangers come up to me in the street with some lovely comments! X

Good luck for the future :)
    Forum Member
    myss wrote: »
    I've been looking for this thread but the search always comes up with a zero!!

I too reckon some of it is staged, I don't believe that two people work over a few days to clear months/years of rubbish, dirt, grime and the rest to get it cleared let alone cleaned to the standards that the OCD-type cleaners like to have.

And as for the 'dettol-baths' on the episode the other week, my family have always done this - even when I was little and I'm a parent now! It's only a small amount needed in the water, so it's not like we come out the baths smelling of it.

Hi, please see my previous posts!! :)
    The crew get quite involved too!! It took us 2 days in all but only 4 rooms were done, leaving my room in a worse state than when we started with stuff being dumped in there for me to sort at a later date, we filmed Tuesday-Friday, tidying and cleaning actually took place in wednesday, Thursday afternoon and Friday morning.... I then with the help of a friend did my room on the Sunday while I still had the skip! I then ended up in hospital with muscle spasms in my back the following Tuesday!
    Oh and while the crew and cleaner are off having a pub lunch, I stayed at home to carry on sorting stuff out...... ;)
  • myssmyss Posts: 16,527
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Hi, please see my previous posts!! :)
    The crew get quite involved too!! It took us 2 days in all but only 4 rooms were done, leaving my room in a worse state than when we started with stuff being dumped in there for me to sort at a later date, we filmed Tuesday-Friday, tidying and cleaning actually took place in wednesday, Thursday afternoon and Friday morning.... I then with the help of a friend did my room on the Sunday while I still had the skip! I then ended up in hospital with muscle spasms in my back the following Tuesday!
    Oh and while the crew and cleaner are off having a pub lunch, I stayed at home to carry on sorting stuff out...... ;)
    Oh that doesn't surprise me at all!! By the way, try and get out of the habit of having your son in your bed with you every night before he gets too used to it and uses your room as his own. It's happened to me and it was so nice that have little time and space of my own to do/talk/watch/etc non-kiddie stuff when I want. ;-)
    Forum Member
    myss wrote: »
    Oh that doesn't surprise me at all!! By the way, try and get out of the habit of having your son in your bed with you every night before he gets too used to it and uses your room as his own. It's happened to me and it was so nice that have little time and space of my own to do/talk/watch/etc non-kiddie stuff when I want. ;-)

Oh I know..... He is starting to go back into his bed now! :) thank you though!! It's been a tough few months for both of us!!
  • Bald1Bald1 Posts: 405
    Forum Member
    Jafin

I would never judge you by what I saw on the show as we all know that shows like that are staged to a certain level. I saw a woman who had found herself bringing up her child on her own and cleaning had become a lesser priority. Your son is well looked after, that is more important :)
    Forum Member
    Bald1 wrote: »
    Jafin

I would never judge you by what I saw on the show as we all know that shows like that are staged to a certain level. I saw a woman who had found herself bringing up her child on her own and cleaning had become a lesser priority. Your son is well looked after, that is more important :)

Thank you! :) I really appreciate that!
  • FayecorgasmFayecorgasm Posts: 29,793
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Favourite line of any programme this year goes to...... My balls are so clean it makes me happy when I touch them
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Christmas tree taken down halfway through Christmas day, why have one at all if you're going to do that.