Andrew Mitchell, Plebgate (Merged)

seacamseacam Posts: 21,364
Forum Member
✭✭✭
So he lost his libel case, I'm not surprised.

Comments

• feckitfeckit Posts: 4,303
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Why on earth did he even ask Police officers to open the main gate for him anyway?:confused:
    By the time they had messed about opening the main gate for him he could have been out the side gate and away.

Those 15 seconds are going to cost him £2Million. Stupid man.
  • Bulletguy1Bulletguy1 Posts: 18,429
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Mitchell loses.....big time all over one word and now faces costs of £2 million! That's one hell of an expensive word!
    Ex-chief whip Andrew Mitchell probably did call police officers "plebs", a High Court judge has said as he rejected a libel case against the Sun.

Mr Justice Mitting called the Tory MP's behaviour "childish" and said he found the MP's version of events inconsistent with CCTV footage of the row with PC Toby Rowland in Downing Street in 2012.

Mr Mitchell, who may face costs of £2m, said he was "bitterly disappointed".
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,486
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Tough one.

Feel sorry for a Tory Toff or The Sun.

Couldnt they both have lost?
  • tiacattiacat Posts: 22,521
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I thought I read it was 300k.

Also Im a bit confused, I havent paid much attention to this story but I thought there was a turn after the initial event that 'showed' that the police officer lied about it?

What happened about that if the judgement in this particular case is that its likely the officer didnt lie?
  • steveh31steveh31 Posts: 13,516
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Don't get all the plebgate thing, just seems a fuss over nothing that goes on and on .
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,535
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    thats the risk you take when you sue someone and lose. i'm sure he can afford it.
  • LakieLadyLakieLady Posts: 19,713
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Is Andrew Mitchell good for 2 mill? Any chance this will bankrupt him?
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    tiacat wrote: »
    I thought I read it was 300k.

Also Im a bit confused, I havent paid much attention to this story but I thought there was a turn after the initial event that 'showed' that the police officer lied about it?

What happened about that if the judgement in this particular case is that its likely the officer didnt lie?
    Remember Mitchell had sued The Sun but was also being counter sued by the Police Officer Mitchell had accused of lying. Turned out to be an expensive gamble.

I haven't followed the case religiously but did see an interview with Mitchell some time ago on Channel 4 News and he came across as 'not very pleasant'....quite above himself if anything.

More here on the background.

http://www.theguardian.com/politics/2014/nov/27/pleb-andrew-mitchell-loses-libel-case

http://www.independent.co.uk/news/uk/home-news/plebgate-andrew-mitchell-loses-high-court-libel-action-9887920.html
  • TellystarTellystar Posts: 12,253
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    The appeal costs were 300,000.
    Overall the total costs, trial etc, were 2 million.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    LakieLady wrote: »
    Perhaps he should have considered that before rolling the dice.

He can always sell up, 'downsize' and move to flat.....though no doubt he's probably already got a flat anyway!
  • bluebladeblueblade Posts: 88,859
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Not sorry at all for Mitchell - like David Mellor, he is arrogant and up his own arse, to the core of his being. Probably believes himself vastly superior to the ordinary working person. People like that are intrinsically vile characters, who garner nothing but dislike from those who have the misfortune to encounter them. You see the really nasty side of these individuals when they can't get their own way. Let's be honest, most folk would have just asked the officers why that was the case, accepted it, and moved on.

He probably did use the word "pleb", but because some police officers lied about the matter subsequently, it seriously weakened their case. Maybe they should have just let it go in the first place, and put it down to him being a total tosspot.
  • d'@ved'@ve Posts: 45,452
    Forum Member
    Bulletguy1 wrote: »
    Mitchell loses.....big time all over one word and now faces costs of £2 million! That's one hell of an expensive word!

Financial Darwinism in action.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 557
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    He'll probably find a way to weasel out of paying anything.

They always do.
  • CentaurionCentaurion Posts: 2,060
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Strange one indeed. What was the reason for denying having uttered such a mild insult ?

Why did he not just admit from the off that he called the cops " effing plebs " , he was having a bad day , in a bad mood, apologise, shake hands, all forgotten and he wouldn't have had to resign.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    LakieLady wrote: »

I doubt it the man worked in investment banking. He's known for his tax avoidance as well. Although I read his wealth is estimated at £2million so here's to hoping. He probably has it all in overseas banks and property.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Centaurion wrote: »
    Strange one indeed. What was the reason for denying having uttered such a mild insult ?

Why did he not just admit from the off that he called the cops " effing plebs " , he was having a bad day , in a bad mood, apologise, shake hands, all forgotten and he wouldn't have had to resign.

Politicians are not known for their humility.
  • CLL DodgeCLL Dodge Posts: 115,630
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    Maybe Bog Geldof could write him a charity song.
  • bootyachebootyache Posts: 15,462
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    CLL Dodge wrote: »
    Maybe Bog Geldof could write him a charity song.

I dunno.

Feeed Mitchelllll, don't he know it's Xmas

Hmmm

:D
  • zx50zx50 Posts: 91,227
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

He probably carried on with the lie because he didn't want to be shown that he had in fact lied. It's all backfired on him spectacularly now though.
  • swingalegswingaleg Posts: 102,981
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭

Boris would probably have got away with it !

But there is a context here which has largely been forgotten in that this incident took place the day after two policewomen had been murdered in Manchester. On that day of all days to have a F-word rant at policemen just doing their job made it seem a lot worse

It also fitted into the Labour narrative that the Tories were just a load of millionaire posh boys who didn't understand ordinary people
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    blueblade wrote: »
    Not sorry at all for Mitchell - like David Mellor, he is arrogant and up his own arse, to the core of his being. Probably believes himself vastly superior to the ordinary working person. People like that are intrinsically vile characters, who garner nothing but dislike from those who have the misfortune to encounter them..

He probably did use the word "pleb", but because some police officers lied about the matter subsequently, it seriously weakened their case. Maybe they should have just let it go in the first place, and put it down to him being a total tosspot.
    The more i read about his background the less sympathy i have and yes you are right about the arrogance as that's exactly what came across in his manner when i saw him interviewed. So arrogant that he ignored the wise advice of David Davies who is a close personal friend, to just say sorry and let go of it.

Mitchell had the time to draw salaries from no less than six directorships whilst a serving MP, sold his shares in a Wine merchants for £630k, owns a £2million property in London, a house in the Midlands, and a chalet in Val d'Isere........yet claimed 13 pence for Tippex and 45 pence for a stick of glue on his Parliamentary expenses!
  • RadiomaniacRadiomaniac Posts: 43,510
    Forum Member
    The bloke is in a bad state, not because of the money situation, but with having mates such as Geldof and Coe.
  • CentaurionCentaurion Posts: 2,060
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Mitchell had the time to draw salaries from no less than six directorships whilst a serving MP, sold his shares in a Wine merchants for £630k, owns a £2million property in London, a house in the Midlands, and a chalet in Val d'Isere....

....yet claimed 13 pence for Tippex and 45 pence for a stick of glue on his Parliamentary expenses!

Ooooh, that's not good is it ?
  • zx50zx50 Posts: 91,227
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The more i read about his background the less sympathy i have and yes you are right about the arrogance as that's exactly what came across in his manner when i saw him interviewed. So arrogant that he ignored the wise advice of David Davies who is a close personal friend, to just say sorry and let go of it.

Mitchell had the time to draw salaries from no less than six directorships whilst a serving MP, sold his shares in a Wine merchants for £630k, owns a £2million property in London, a house in the Midlands, and a chalet in Val d'Isere........yet claimed 13 pence for Tippex and 45 pence for a stick of glue on his Parliamentary expenses!

If true, that's pure and utter greed at its worst.
  • jenziejenzie Posts: 20,821
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    so one of THE biggest waste of time's ever just continues to roll down that mountainside, like a sodding boulder, crushing small villages as it does .....

just wish that everyone who thinks this is ACTUALLY WORTHWHILE, to jump into a nearest acid bath!