Andrew Mitchell, Plebgate (Merged)

Comments

• [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,954
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Very very good.:D

A disgusting lack of respect shown to the Police, if he spoke to me in that way I would knock his teeth out and I'm not a violent person at all.
  • Bulletguy1Bulletguy1 Posts: 18,429
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    zx50 wrote: »
    If true, that's pure and utter greed at its worst.
    It was in the Daily Sleaze.....but then MP's expenses have to be listed and are open to scrutiny plus i can't see them being as daft as Mitchell to risk a potential legal case being brought against them! However we've all known for some time about the greed of some MP's.

Channel 4's Krishnan Guru-Murthy did a brilliant interview on this evenings News with Sir Richard Ottaway, whom Murthy really tore into plus raising the fact that whilst PC Rowland expressed his thoughts for Mitchell and his family, Mitchell didn't for Rowland or his family.

The interview is second clip down.

It's also worth remembering that the figures being mentioned relate to costs......Mitchell still has to wait to see what damages he has to pay. :)
  • zx50zx50 Posts: 91,269
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Bulletguy1 wrote: »
    It was in the Daily Sleaze.....but then MP's expenses have to be listed and are open to scrutiny plus i can't see them being as daft as Mitchell to risk a potential legal case being brought against them! However we've all known for some time about the greed of some MP's.

Channel 4's Krishnan Guru-Murthy did a brilliant interview on this evenings News with Sir Richard Ottaway, whom Murthy really tore into plus raising the fact that whilst PC Rowland expressed his thoughts for Mitchell and his family, Mitchell didn't for Rowland or his family.

The interview is second clip down.

It's also worth remembering that the figures being mentioned relate to costs......Mitchell still has to wait to see what damages he has to pay. :)

Not surprised one little bit that Mitchell's friend refused to criticise him in an interview. He blatantly refused to answer the question that was put to him. He also smirked when the interviewer said that Mitchell had called the copper an effing pleb. Yes, that will really make you look good.....NOT!
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    zx50 wrote: »
    Not surprised one little bit that Mitchell's friend refused to criticise him in an interview. He blatantly refused to answer the question that was put to him. He also smirked when the interviewer said that Mitchell had called the copper an effing pleb. Yes, that will really make you look good.....NOT!
    I liked how Ottaway began reeling off a list of all the 'good work' Mitchell had done only for Murthy to add, 'and he also called a Policeman an f'in pleb'!! Sometimes when he gets his teeth really sunk in, Murthy is like a dog with a bone. I've seen him do some right scathing interviews. :D
  • Sorcha_27Sorcha_27 Posts: 138,836
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    Andrew-W wrote: »
    Very very good.:D

A disgusting lack of respect shown to the Police, if he spoke to me in that way I would knock his teeth out and I'm not a violent person at all.

The police weren't exactly covered in glory themselves in this situation
  • SomnerSomner Posts: 9,412
    Forum Member
    blueblade wrote: »
    Not sorry at all for Mitchell - like David Mellor, he is arrogant and up his own arse, to the core of his being. Probably believes himself vastly superior to the ordinary working person. People like that are intrinsically vile characters, who garner nothing but dislike from those who have the misfortune to encounter them. You see the really nasty side of these individuals when they can't get their own way. Let's be honest, most folk would have just asked the officers why that was the case, accepted it, and moved on.

He probably did use the word "pleb", but because some police officers lied about the matter subsequently, it seriously weakened their case. Maybe they should have just let it go in the first place, and put it down to him being a total tosspot.

This. People getting involved when they weren't even there, and had nothing to do with the incident whatsoever. Disgraceful behaviour that served not only to weaken the case of the officers present, but to tarnish of the reputation of the service entirely.
  • rfonzorfonzo Posts: 11,772
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Well, he should not have lied.
    Forum Member
    The police weren't exactly covered in glory themselves in this situation

But then why should the actions of a couple of officers, make the other 140,000+ look bad? Should Mitchell's actions make every MP look bad?
  • TelevisionUserTelevisionUser Posts: 41,416
    Forum Member
    Plebgate: Mitchell facing £2million costs

Ouch! (big time)

I don't think anyone has benefited by this libel trial and if Andrew Mitchell had let things lie than the story would have naturally died down and become history. As things now stand, he's likely to be faced with a huge legal expenses bill.
  • Raquelos.Raquelos. Posts: 7,734
    Forum Member
    Somner wrote: »
    But then why should the actions of a couple of officers, make the other 140,000+ look bad? Should Mitchell's actions make every MP look bad?

Tbf they don't need Mitchell to do that.
  • Sorcha_27Sorcha_27 Posts: 138,836
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    Somner wrote: »

I'm not saying that. I was responding to a post discussing his lack of respect for the police. My point being those police officers certainly weren't deserving of respect
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Plebgate: Mitchell facing £2million costs

Ouch! (big time)

I don't think anyone has benefited by this libel trial and if Andrew Mitchell had let things lie than the story would have naturally died down and become history. As things now stand, he's likely to be faced with a huge legal expenses bill.
    Even MP David Davies who he counts as a personal friend told him to 'just say sorry and let go'.....Mitchell ignored him and rolled the dice instead.

His arrogance and greed got the better of him.

No sympathy whatsoever.
  • cessnacessna Posts: 6,747
    Forum Member
    I'm not saying that. I was responding to a post discussing his lack of respect for the police. My point being those police officers certainly weren't deserving of respect

Agreed. Neither Mitchell or the police come out of this with honour. And anyway Mitchells last days in 2012 as an Overseas Aid Minister do him no great credit whereby there is considerable controversy over his granting £-Millions in aid to The Rwanda Govt who it is claimed were/are funding a war lord in Congo DRC - a criminal wanted by The International Court - causing hundreds of thousands to flee .
  • swingalegswingaleg Posts: 103,111
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    Bulletguy1 wrote: »
    Even MP David Davies who he counts as a personal friend told him to 'just say sorry and let go'.....Mitchell ignored him and rolled the dice instead.

His arrogance and greed got the better of him.

No sympathy whatsoever.

........and quite a few of his friends and senior politicians now look pretty stupid.......including said David Davies who went on TV with some 'new' CCTV evidence which 'proved' Mitchell's case

(It did nothing of the sort of course but the media and politicians lapped it up and spouted that he'd been vindicated)
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    swingaleg wrote: »
    ........and quite a few of his friends and senior politicians now look pretty stupid.......including said David Davies who went on TV with some 'new' CCTV evidence which 'proved' Mitchell's case

(It did nothing of the sort of course but the media and politicians lapped it up and spouted that he'd been vindicated)
    Maybe that's why Davies was keen for Mitchell to 'say sorry' and move on! :D
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,249
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    All of this fiasco just because he may or may not have called a copper a pleb. I mean ffs, the whole thing is pathetic and a massive waste of time.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Red John wrote: »
    All of this fiasco just because he may or may not have called a copper a pleb. I mean ffs, the whole thing is pathetic and a massive waste of time.
    Keeps the Courts in business, swells the bank balances of Lawyers, and gives the Daily Sleaze more fodder to feed the proles. :D
  • swingalegswingaleg Posts: 103,111
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    Red John wrote: »

Does it matter if a public school millionaire Tory thinks of ordinary people as 'plebs' ?

Politically it certainly does........that's why they refer to it as 'toxic'

That's why we've had 2 years of the political class and establishment all rallying round him and denigrating the cops........

If it didn't matter why would all the top politicians (including a few labour ones) put so much effort into trying to persuade us that he was a decent chap and the cops were all lying so-and-so's

If it doesn't matter why does David Mellor doing a 'Do You Know Who I Am?' rant at a taxi driver make front page news

Why does a shadow cabinet minister resign because of her 'implied' snobbery towards a working class man.........

I'm afraid it does matter politically.........it shows up what the political class think of the people
  • EnglishspinnerEnglishspinner Posts: 6,132
    Forum Member
    I'm so far on the left of the political spectrum that I can't even see Mitchell on the right, but whatever the foolishness of his pursuing this in court, he was stitched up by a concerted police conspiracy, and our supposedly dispassionate judiciary never, ever will bring the cops to book - (See Lord Denning, the Guildford 4, the Birmingham 6. etc etc passim).
  • 0...00...0 Posts: 21,111
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Tough one.

Feel sorry for a Tory Toff or The Sun.

Couldnt they both have lost?

Indeed. :D
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I'm so far on the left of the political spectrum that I can't even see Mitchell on the right......
    That's because he isn't there now!

Mitchell has lost much more than this case and money, he's lost his job. But i don't think any of us need concern ourselves about him struggling by on benefits or getting sanctioned for failing to turn up on time for a minimum wage job interview!
  • duckymallardduckymallard Posts: 13,936
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I'm so far on the left of the political spectrum that I can't even see Mitchell on the right, but whatever the foolishness of his pursuing this in court, he was stitched up by a concerted police conspiracy, and our supposedly dispassionate judiciary never, ever will bring the cops to book - (See Lord Denning, the Guildford 4, the Birmingham 6. etc etc passim).

You're obviously so far on the left that you haven't even considered that the Police Officer concerned has already been cleared by 4 different inquiries

But what the hell, let's not let daft things like facts get in the way of your wee conspiracy theories.
  • cosmic buttplugcosmic buttplug Posts: 873
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

What, a conspiracy that resulted in the dismissal of two boys-in-blue and a custodial sentence for a third?
    Forum Member

You don't know very much about this incident and those that followed, do you?