What are you reading at the moment? (Part 4)

Comments

• guernseysnailguernseysnail Posts: 18,922
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    kira nerys wrote: »
    Amazing,wasn't it?,no way you could've worked out that twist!!,I thought it was genius:)
    I have read a couple of his others,he is a very good writer,although I dont think he will beat you're next,but definately worth reading.

The twist was indeed very clever! I shall be looking out for his books at the library this week!
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,046
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    poppycat wrote: »
    Currently reading Abiding Evil by Alison Buck. Very good spooky, atmospheric thriller, would probably be a good book to save for a dark winters night with the wind howling outside whilst snuggled under a duvet!

I read that earlier in the year I loved it and it was so cheap in the kindle store for quite a big book.

Currently reading 11/22/63 about 200 pages in liking it so far although I've really got to stop reading Stephen King I find his books really hard to put down and I've got an essay that needs writing. :D
  • kira neryskira nerys Posts: 942
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Just bought the new Skulduggery Pleasant book Kingdom of the wicked,I know its a tween book,and I'm a grown woman,but Skulduggery is my guilty pleasure!!
  • mabbus-cattus1mabbus-cattus1 Posts: 5,777
    Forum Member
    Halfway through Too Close to Home by Linwood Barclay. Would definitey recommend it.
  • RAINBOWGIRL22RAINBOWGIRL22 Posts: 24,459
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I am struggling with Sophie's World - I just cannot seem to get into it, plus I am reading a natal hynotherapy book and have just opened Bill Bryson's "A Short History of Nearly Everything" again (of of my all time fave books!!)
  • ShizukuShizuku Posts: 2,258
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Just finished Blind Faith by Ben Elton.

Now reading The Borrowers Omnibus - Mary Norton. It has been on my bookshelf unread for about 20 years, only just got round to it!
  • RyJaRyJa Posts: 900
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I have just read The Kingmakers Daughter by Philippa Gregory and enjoyed every page!
  • MissMusiqueMissMusique Posts: 2,098
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I challenged myself to read all the Alex Cross novels, and I'm on the penultimate one! It's taken me about 2 and a half months so far which I reckon is pretty good going seeing as there's 18 of them!

The first couple I thought were not very well written at all, and sometimes it's irritating when Patterson doesn't let you figure out who the killer is - he just introduces somebody that you've never heard of. Also Cross doesn't seem to be that good a detective to me, he seems to get lucky more often than not!

But I like them in my own way but will be glad when i've finished the series and can start something new. Probably a change of genre, I've had enough of guts and gore for a while!
  • benjaminibenjamini Posts: 32,066
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Biog about Charles Dickens by Claire Tomlin. Very interesting. Especially after the huge ressurgence in interest.
  • wuffleswuffles Posts: 45,771
    Forum Member
    I've just bought The Fellowship of the Ring. I was going to get all three parts of the trilogy in a gift pack but decided to hold off in case I don't like the first one!
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 278
    Forum Member
    poppycat wrote: »
    Currently reading Abiding Evil by Alison Buck. Very good spooky, atmospheric thriller, would probably be a good book to save for a dark winters night with the wind howling outside whilst snuggled under a duvet!
    I'm so glad I clicked on this thread, I've been looking for something good to read. I'm off to the Kindle store to download this one:)
  • Beautiful_HarvBeautiful_Harv Posts: 9,144
    Forum Member
    Craig Robertson- Snapshot
  • stoatiestoatie Posts: 78,106
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    "Hate- My Life In The British Far Right" by Matthew Collins.
  • Chris65757Chris65757 Posts: 586
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Berlin, The Downfall 1945 by Anthony Beevor, and Back to Sanity by Steve Taylor.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,187
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I'm so glad I clicked on this thread, I've been looking for something good to read. I'm off to the Kindle store to download this one:)

Hope you enjoy it! I was up til 2am this morning as I couldn't put it down and wanted to see what happened at the end. I thought it was an excellent read and very good value as well. :)
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 5,544
    Forum Member
    the help by kathryn stockett
  • kira neryskira nerys Posts: 942
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Birthdays for the dead-Stuart Macbride,seems ok so far,although not finding it as easy to get into as the Logan Mcrae series.
    I finished Kingdom of the wicked by Derek Landy yesterday,fantastic as always!
  • -Sid--Sid- Posts: 29,365
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    stoatie wrote: »
    "Hate- My Life In The British Far Right" by Matthew Collins.

Ooh I think I'm following him on Twitter. Might read that at some point.

I'm currently reading an apocalyptic novel - Last Light by Alex Scarrow . I'm not very far into it but the premise is fascinating and I like that the chapters are nice and short!
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 26,853
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The Wrath of Angels - John Connolly. Absolutely adore his novels. Charlie Parker is perhaps (for me) one of the best fictional characters ever created.
  • Havelock VetinariHavelock Vetinari Posts: 13,874
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Currently reading Ash by James Herbert, the third part of the Ash trilogy. So far very good, it's obvious something creepy is going on, but as to what. No idea.
    After that it's the final have to, reread of the Wheel of Time. In readiness for the final book in January. In between will be Nordic crime novels.
  • Swanandduck2Swanandduck2 Posts: 5,502
    Forum Member
    I found some old childhood books in my parents' attic and am currently re reading stories about aspirational ballerinas and girls with ponies. Aah, it really takes me back.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 77
    Forum Member
    Buntym wrote: »
    Reading 'Rivers of London' by Ben Aaronovitch and really enjoying it.

Now on to the second book ' Moon Over Soho'.
  • KitKat21KitKat21 Posts: 4,603
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Beyond Evil - Neil White.
  • Sue_CSue_C Posts: 1,470
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I've finally finished Pillars of the Earth. I seem to have been reading it all year. Tbh I enjoyed the tv seies more than the book. I found the book to be too long and somewhat erratically paced. I felt that the story either needed to be lengthened into two or three books or cut right down to one shorter book without some of the side/back stories. I really didn't like the Canterbury story towards the end of the book, introducing fictional characters into a well known historical event just didn't work for me. Ian McShane & Rufus Sewell in the tv version made it much more enjoyable and I don't think that the tv series covered the whole story.

I was planning to start on World without End as soon as I'd finished Pillars but have had enough of Kingsbridge for the time being.

I've started on A Kiss Before Dying by Ira Levin. This has been sitting on my Kindle for a while and is relatively short at just over 200 pages. It was written in the 1950s and is the first novel from an author of several books which have been made into films, including The Stepford Wives, Rosemary's Baby and The Boys from Brazil. I've only read a few chapters, but it's good so far.

I'm also about half way through listening to the Poison Tree by Erin Kelly. So far, so good, but I dislike all three main characters intensely. i hope that I'm not supposed to be liking them!
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,187
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I found some old childhood books in my parents' attic and am currently re reading stories about aspirational ballerinas and girls with ponies. Aah, it really takes me back.

Ah! I did the same a few weeks ago. Even found a couple of Enid Blyton's St Claires books which I used to love. Also found my original copy of Lord of the Rings, which I got when I was about 8.

But back to the present :) just started Brass Ring by Diane Chamberlain. It's ok, not really pulling me in like some of her other books did from the start, but I shall keep going and see if it gets better.