Death in Paradise - Series 2

Comments

• iaindbiaindb Posts: 13,278
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I'm not sure the BBC should precede this morning with their Original British Drama logo as the logo suggests dark, gritty drama wheras DIP is fluffier than a kitten that's accidentally been through a cycle in a washing machine.

Good fun, though. (Death In Paradise, not the kitten in the washing machine.)
  • petelypetely Posts: 2,994
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    jsmith99 wrote: »
    Was there any competition? [ to the programme's 6.64 million (28.8%) rating ]
    Looking back at last night's 9:00 slot: no, not one single thing :( Which makes it all the more puzzling: why was over 70% of the TV audience watching utter garbage? :confused:
  • marsch_labbmarsch_labb Posts: 687
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Sallysally wrote: »
    Like most here, I guessed the perpetrator as soon as she appeared, but I confess the stamps just passed me by. I assumed it was on the make-up brush itself - but putting on make-up in the middle of the night?I did not think that one through, did I?!!

Anyway, apart from the non-appearance of Harry (they must have a budget for CGI and have run out for the moment) a thoroughly enjoyable show. Absolutely hit the spot with the wind howling and the rain splattering the windows outside last night!

CGI budget was spent on the stew's vapor during the close-up where he almost put his face in it. Can't keep your face over such a steaming pot for long. And also it takes effort to keep it that hot during possibly multiple takes.

Joking about spending the entire budget on that but it was CGI.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    gomezz wrote: »
    Glad they didn't show the inevitable, follow up, middle of the night, Johnny Cash action on the loo as he tried to pass the offending item. :o

Perhaps he did off camera and that's why we didn't see Harry because it got sick too!:o
    :)
  • jcafcwjcafcw Posts: 11,282
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Well I guessed the murderer and that it had been self-administered by the victim within the first ten minutes or so. They all but beat you over the head with who it is was. What they were cleverer at was how it was done. I do admit to stopping thinking about how it was done as I was waiting for the inevitable appeal.

Kris Marshall has completely made the role his now in my opinion and the show is as good as ever.

It is not faultless but still fun and that is what matters.
  • grauniadgrauniad Posts: 7,947
    Forum Member
    I've watched this two weeks running and it falls into the 'its so bad, it's good' category. A sort of Crossroads with sun. I can't imagine that Kris Marshall, who I like, will look back fondly at this part of his CV.
  • joel turcottejoel turcotte Posts: 809
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Humph soon realised taxis were not the forward so hopefully he will have a Peugeot 403 Grand Luxe Cabriolet to drive around the island.

Getting close....Camille driving a Peugeot 504 Cabriolet this week.

Had to be a nod to Columbo. :D
  • Doghouse RileyDoghouse Riley Posts: 32,491
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    grauniad wrote: »
    I've watched this two weeks running and it falls into the 'its so bad, it's good' category. A sort of Crossroads with sun. I can't imagine that Kris Marshall, who I like, will look back fondly at this part of his CV.

Nah!

It has a more "Acorn Antiques" appeal.
  • davey_waveydavey_wavey Posts: 27,406
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Loving every minute of this series. I think Camille and Humphrey have more chemistry together than what Richard and Camille did, and I could buy into their 'will they? Won't they?' type of relationship if that's the avenue the writers choose to go down. Whilst I couldn't really see Camille and Richard together at all.

I love the entire team though - Dwayne, Fidel and Camille and how they all gel together. They make a great team. Overall, this whole series is brilliant fun. Lovely backdrop and I like watching the episodes, coming up with my own numerous theories and trying to guess who it is along the way until the big reveal at the end.

I guessed the killer last night, but I didn't guess how it was done.

Well done BBC - I look forward to hearing about a new series soon. There's bound to be another series, as the ratings have been really good.
  • grauniadgrauniad Posts: 7,947
    Forum Member
    Nah!

It has a more "Acorn Antiques" appeal.

That's done it now! I won't be able to watch this anymore, as I would be forever expecting Julie Waters to appear, with a wobbling cup of tea. 😄
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    grauniad wrote: »
    That's done it now! I won't be able to watch this anymore, as I would be forever expecting Julie Waters to appear, with a wobbling cup of tea. 😄

Camille's mum makes a better "Mrs Overall."
  • scumcatscumcat Posts: 349
    Forum Member
    Loving every minute of this series. I think Camille and Humphrey have more chemistry together than what Richard and Camille did, and I could buy into their 'will they? Won't they?' type of relationship if that's the avenue the writers choose to go down. Whilst I couldn't really see Camille and Richard together at all.

I love the entire team though - Dwayne, Fidel and Camille and how they all gel together. They make a great team. Overall, this whole series is brilliant fun. Lovely backdrop and I like watching the episodes, coming up with my own numerous theories and trying to guess who it is along the way until the big reveal at the end.

Well done BBC - I look forward to hearing about a new series soon. There's bound to be another series, as the ratings have been really good.

No sorry it will be cancelled as I like it now this is the first series I have watched. The bbc always cancel stuff I like.
  • Wench02Wench02 Posts: 2,790
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Personally, I believe that Richard and Camille were better than Camille and Humph. We had two series of the Richard/Camille building up, and feeling like you wanted to bang their heads together.

Richard gets killed off, and suddenly Camille is drooling over Humph? Nah!
  • StrictlyRedStrictlyRed Posts: 12,451
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Wench02 wrote: »

Drooling? I see friendship and laughs, nothing else.
  • RFSRFS Posts: 7,627
    Forum Member

Agree - curiosity (that apparently does not extend to Branston pickle!) but so far none of the more flirty stuff she pulled with RP.
    Of course the writers could prove us all wrong next week and have her jump into bed with him!
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Wench02 wrote: »
    Personally, I believe that Richard and Camille were better than Camille and Humph. We had two series of the Richard/Camille building up, and feeling like you wanted to bang their heads together.

What we have is a replacement of the principal character, the scripts or the main plot lines, may well have been originally written before the change, so the progressive "relationship" if there is to be one, between Camille and "whoever" doesn't come as a surprise to me.
  • SallysallySallysally Posts: 5,070
    Forum Member
    I love the entire team though - Dwayne, Fidel and Camille and how they all gel together. They make a great team.

I actually think that the supporting cast have been given more to do this series than ever before. They really have come into their own and the whole series has benefited from it.
  • kampffenhoffkampffenhoff Posts: 1,556
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    What's all this talk about Antiques and Overalls? Anyhow, I get the impression Camille thinks Humph is funny, rather than anything else. Still, he doesn't have a briefcase which is in his favor. One of my Uncles had one and he used it for sandwiches, so I always had the feeling that Richard had sandwiches in his.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

My personal view it's more than friendship in Camille's mind. In the episode where Humph was checking online dating site, she was saying to him he didn't need that to meet an interesting woman in a very revealing tone. I almost expected her to say 'here i am!.
    Of course, it can change. Camille could conclude 'these English boys don't take a hint, do they. I almost offer myself on a plate to Richard, he does nothing. Now the same with Humphrey, i give up'.
    A conclusion she could not make with only Richard's response. Only one is not a reference and he was so 'excentric'. Most probable Richard died a virgin!:o

Not very important on a light show like this but on a more realistic show, a detective with no love life experience would affect his understanding of human relations. Which is the basis of most real crimes.

Anyway, don't know if she's going to give up but, imo, it's quit obvious Camille has a thing for English detective. Just like us in a weird sort of way! :)
  • myssmyss Posts: 16,457
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

I agree too - also guessed who the killer was, but how it was done. I thought how it was explained was genius!
    scumcat wrote: »
    No sorry it will be cancelled as I like it now this is the first series I have watched. The bbc always cancel stuff I like.
    I know the feeling, I got to like Ripper Street as well and they used the silly excuse of lack of ratings to get rid of that one, even though they aired it at the same time as one of ITV's top rated programme. So not fair!! :D
  • Wench02Wench02 Posts: 2,790
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    IMO the writers are trying to rehash the Richard/camille will they won't they with humph.

Personally I was glued to series 2 of Dip hoping that the pair of them would do something about it. I also think its a Shame that we didnt get to see either anything happen between them, or at least see them both admit it.

I also think it's a shame that Richard was killed off in the first episode, as the introduction of that woman that was supposed to be in love with him for a couple of episodes, could have added a bit of "fun" into the Richard/camille saga.

Km is ok. The show is still watchable, but I seriously hope we don't get a camille/humph romance.

And for people that think I'm a BM fan, I'm not really. I like his acting (like dip, and johnny English) but not so keen on him on shows like QI etc
  • DICKENS99DICKENS99 Posts: 2,619
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    scumcat wrote: »

I think you're OK with this one, ratings have been up on the previous series so it would be bizarre for the beeb not to recommission it. (Though just to be safe perhaps you could raise your fist to the tv whilst watching and growl 'ruddy bbc, this is what I pay my license fee for is it, bleedin' rubbish').
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Something about the last show i was wondering; the sandwich Humphrey was eating.
    Is cheese and pickle really an English delicacy?
  • SallysallySallysally Posts: 5,070
    Forum Member
    Something about the last show i was wondering; the sandwich Humphrey was eating.
    Is cheese and pickle really an English delicacy?

Not a delicacy as such, but I think we must be the only nation in the world that has something like Branstons or picallili or the thousand and one other mixed veg chutneys we love so much.
    And then put them with cheese!
    I love it, mind you - branstons, not picallili which I loathe.
  • RFSRFS Posts: 7,627
    Forum Member
    Cocky little muppet - the son who has never seen a comb did it!