Radio Times - No holidays in Albert Square as bosses try to turn the BBC soap around

2»

Comments

• BeaconboofBeaconboof Posts: 2,374
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Totem_Bern wrote: »
    Then as EP you would've just completely killed the show. Well done for being worse than LN and Bk combined ;)

Production never stops. And classic episodes of the past? the show needs to look forward not backwards...

THe new EP needs to come in with ideas... all the show needs is some super duper storylines lines... the writers are there, the characters (including some interesting newbies) and some top notch actors.

As the Whitney Kat episode proved stick two good actors in a room with a gritty thought-provoking character driven storyline and EE is untouchable.

Even if EE had to go black for a few weeks because I'd halted production, I do not care. I would stop that damn show in its tracks and get all of those actors and writers through my boot camp. If they can't come up with the goods during our improv workshops and lectures about character motivation, their arses are out of the door.
  • superstar111superstar111 Posts: 18,479
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Beaconboof wrote: »
    Even if EE had to go black for a few weeks because I'd halted production, I do not care. I would stop that damn show in its tracks and get all of those actors and writers through my boot camp. If they can't come up with the goods during our improv workshops and lectures about character motivation, their arses are out of the door.

Back to reality now please....

Anyways I hope DTC sorts the show out, I miss it!
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Back to reality now please....

Anyways I hope DTC sorts the show out, I miss it!

Oh so you don't think I could pull it off?:rolleyes:
  • O-JO-J Posts: 18,846
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Didnt Newman promise a big summer this year? or did I imagine that?

It was absolutely not worth tuning into, nothing is happening, that's the problem, and this months episode was probably filmed after the BSA, and it still did not scare them into making decent episodes,

Last Fridays was great but not fantastic!

Hollyoaks is by far winning!
  • Last RequestLast Request Posts: 2,975
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    There was no hate towards LN she was clearly out of her depth that's the difference.
  • Joe_ZelJoe_Zel Posts: 20,832
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Well, I would make it happen. I'd be a Nazi on that set. No slackers in the acting or writing departments and everything would have to go through me.

That's if you're under the illusion that the Executive Producer is the top man/woman.

Even the EP has people they have to answer to so, no, you couldn't just do completely as you please.

The BBC wouldn't just take Eastenders out of two weeks of the schedule to accommodate your lecture.

Yes, Eastenders needs to get back to character driven stories but showing 80s/90s episodes won't achieve that.

TV and modern life in general has changed too much for any of that to be relevant.

Eastenders needs to evolve into the future, not be stuck in the past. What worked then, won't necessarily work now.

It's a problem most of the soaps have, especially Coronation Street, they're stuck in the dark ages and need to be dragged kicking and screaming into 2013 otherwise it's questionable how many years they have left.
  • PizzatheactionPizzatheaction Posts: 20,157
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    KieranDS wrote: »
    What a strange article. It says Collins won't have any time off in August, and then it says he won't be starting his job until the end of August! :D
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Joe_Zel wrote: »
    That's if you're under the illusion that the Executive Producer is the top man/woman.

Even the EP has people they have to answer to so, no, you couldn't just do completely as you please.

The BBC wouldn't just take Eastenders out of two weeks of the schedule to accommodate your lecture.

Yes, Eastenders needs to get back to character driven stories but showing 80s/90s episodes won't achieve that.

TV and modern life in general has changed too much for any of that to be relevant.

Eastenders needs to evolve into the future, not be stuck in the past. What worked then, won't necessarily work now.

It's a problem most of the soaps have, especially Coronation Street, they're stuck in the dark ages and need to be dragged kicking and screaming into 2013 otherwise it's questionable how many years they have left.

Don't you dare question my judgement!:mad::mad:

Oh wait.

I'm not executive producer. :D:D:D
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 11,133
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Let's get one thing straight , no one is criticising Lorraine personally . I have never seen this .

People are criticising her work , and rightly so . Same as numerous other EPs , not just on this soap .

So I think some FM's should spare us from preaching from the moral high ground :rolleyes:
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    EastEnders needs an artist at the helm - a visionary. Somebody like Tony Holland and Julia Smith, or early Phil Redmond. The people in charge are just not artists. They don't have a genius for good drama. Shakespeare, in his own day, was basically writing soaps for the masses. Where are our dramatists?
  • dan2008dan2008 Posts: 37,279
    Forum Member
    klendathu wrote: »
    Good stuff. Too many people have become complacent on this show. Writers, actors, even wardrobe have taken their eye off the ball.

Sounds like DTC is going to crack the whip.
    It's not saying no-one can't have a holiday (The title is misleading)
    it just says DTC isn't having a holiday there will be no time off for new boss Dominic Treadwell-Collins.
  • dan2008dan2008 Posts: 37,279
    Forum Member
    I would love to be Executive Producer. My first action would be to shut down production for a fortnight and have all the actors and writers assemble in a screening room to show classic episodes from the 80s and 90s. Then I would say "That is what we need to get back. Now go to work or get out."
    That was the sound of the BBC putting their first down. Of course What the EP says goes but they still have to answer to the BBC and what the BEEB says is final.
    Don't like it? Get a new job :D
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 85
    Forum Member
    I'm not comfortable with all the hate directed towards Lorraine. People should remember that is just a soap and she is a human with feelings too.

Sometimes seeing such hateful and spiteful comments can effect people. I hope she is ok.
    I totally am behind you on this. Same goes for the abuse aimed at some of the cast members also. I'm sick of the cowardly bullying that goes on in the forums world
  • KaylaLKaylaL Posts: 1,627
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    To be honest I think it's past the point of being turned around. All the EPs in the past 4 years can't have been bad at their jobs.

I honestly don't think that the EP of any tv show has the power thats allotted to them here. I think there is always huge interference from upstairs...TPTB!

I think with the dreadful JS scandal (cant even bear to write his name) and the fallout of the baby snatch storyline...TPTB have told EE..no contraversay! And you can't have a soap without contraversay.

So I think EE is doomed!
  • Caza_BellowCaza_Bellow Posts: 1,045
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    cooler wrote: »
    Realistically, you know that couldn't happen.

Exactly, plus it's about moving forwards and not backwards. Any producer who delves into the past too much clearly does not have very many creativity or original ideas.