How do I clean a toilet bowl - no toilet brush!!!

[Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,667
Forum Member
✭✭✭
What can I use to clean my toilet bowl, but as I am a germaphobe I do not want to use a toilet brush, is there any alternative I could use? I know there are different things on the market does anyone know what the best ones are?:blush:

Comments

• Hugh JboobsHugh Jboobs Posts: 15,316
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    A toilet brush, or brush of some kind, is the only way you'll get a toilet totally clean.

Wear some rubber gloves and get over yourself. And if you really can't do that, pay someone to clean it for you.
  • tiacattiacat Posts: 22,521
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Rubber gloves and a scourer sponge.

I know its pointless saying this as I understand what you're anxieties are bout germs but germs are everywhere, there arent more on a toilet brush than there would be on your sponge.

Having said that, I dont have a toilet brush for the same reason. I have a plethora of washing up brushes that I throw away every so often, so Im not one to talk.

(that orangy brown colour on toilet brushes by the way is the bleach discolouring the plastic, not shit)
  • tealadytealady Posts: 26,266
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I don't understand the premise.
    You are a germaphoobe, so whatever you use to clean it will involve 'germs'.
    A loo brush is a bit longer than anything else you might use.

Get a cleaner in I suppose would be one way.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,667
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    tiacat wrote: »
    (that orangy brown colour on toilet brushes by the way is the bleach discolouring the plastic, not shit)

That has always been my "bug bear" I thought that the colour was "dirt" and I did not know that is was bleach, I feel a right "plum" as I have said I have OCD and I was diagnosed as a germphobe so I will do anything not to use a toilet brush, as for "getting over myself" then you do not understand germaphobia, my thanks to tiacat for letting me know about the colour, it males me feel a bit better
  • tealadytealady Posts: 26,266
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    baldbilluk wrote: »
    as for "getting over myself"
    As I recall ,that poster has a few kids and a new baby. I imagine changing a baby involves a few germs and cleaning a toilet is not as worse as cleaning up a baby (who when having got them nice and shiny may puke all over you and themself !)
  • bobcarbobcar Posts: 19,424
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    There will be far more germs on the flush button/lever than on the brush. Even the door handles in your house will have more germs than the toilet brush. Your washing up sponge will have far more if you reuse it as most people do.

In fact if you keep the toilet brush away from the pan (to avoid splashing) and wash your hands before using it the brush handle could well be one of the most germ free locations in your house, you could probably lick it and be okay. That doesn't matter though as you'll wash your hands after using it which will solve the problem anyway.

Against that a dirty toilet bowl is not a major health hazard so if you don't want to clean it there won't be any problems except it looks disgusting.
  • Hugh JboobsHugh Jboobs Posts: 15,316
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    as for "getting over myself" then you do not understand germaphobia

OK, I didn't realise you had OCD etc. I thought your use of the word "germaphobe" was just a way of saying you were a bit squeamish about that type of thing. You have my apologies and retraction. :)

I'd suggest again that your best bet is to get someone to do it for you. Not using a brush will mean there are more potential germs around than if you bit the bullet and cleaned it yourself.
  • burton07burton07 Posts: 10,871
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I clean my toilet every day. I spray bathroom cleaner on the seat pan and lid and clean it with a cloth. I put Harpic round the bowl and clean it with a toilet brush. Job done - no germs.

Toilet brushes are £1.99. If it gets dirty throw it away and buy a new one.
  • CaxtonCaxton Posts: 28,881
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
  • butterworthbutterworth Posts: 17,874
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I just use the 'Gentleman's method' to blast off any nasty stains....
  • hunter23hunter23 Posts: 3,097
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    i use my tongue or get the cats to do it
  • PitmanPitman Posts: 28,495
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I normally use a kango, kills all known germs stone dead :cool:
  • mrsmoosemrsmoose Posts: 2,090
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I have OCD too, cleaning the toilet is a horrible job but I've found a way that helps me, without using a brush.

I thoroughly spray the inside of the toilet with detol (or something similar), then put detol on a scourering pad and wipe it, everything's covered in anti bactiral stuff at this point so even if you do touch the toilet its OK.
    Then flush it, then put bleach in the bowl and leave it an hour.

Then of course, wash your hands and everything's clean!
  • Frankie_LittleFrankie_Little Posts: 9,271
    Forum Member
    I don't have OCD, nor am I a germophobe, but scrubbing the toilet is my least favourite task. I encourage anyone using the toilet to leave it sparkling after use, and if they don't, they're off my Christmas card list forevermore.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 12,003
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    What's wrong with your partner's toothbrush :D
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,163
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    What can I use to clean my toilet bowl, but as I am a germaphobe I do not want to use a toilet brush, is there any alternative I could use? I know there are different things on the market does anyone know what the best ones are?:blush:

It depends how dirty it is. Try Domestos Total Blast. Squirt lots in last thing at night and in the morning when yyou flush the loo it will be sparkling clean. No need for brushes. We bleach our toilets every other day.

If you have lots of limescale then you may need to put some limescare remover in the loo such Domestos Zero Limescale.

Dettol spray cleaner will kill germs on the seat, under it and on the handle or button press.

ps whatever you do, do not mix toilet cleaners unless you want a lethal exploding toilet.
  • CRTHDCRTHD Posts: 7,602
    Forum Member
    johnny_t wrote: »
    I just use the 'Gentleman's method' to blast off any nasty stains....

I'm convinced that is where the idea for Karchers (pressure washers) came from!
  • bobcarbobcar Posts: 19,424
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Limescale remover is usually the best thing to clean a toilet with, much more so than bleach which just bleaches the limescale.
  • benjaminibenjamini Posts: 32,066
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I remember many many years ago my mother cleaning the toilet bowl. She had an old jam jar and she decanted the water into a bucket then cleaned it with a cloth and Vim. vim for anyone who dosnt remember was scouring powder.
  • degsyhufcdegsyhufc Posts: 59,251
    Forum Member
    OK, I didn't realise you had OCD etc. I thought your use of the word "germaphobe" was just a way of saying you were a bit squeamish about that type of thing. You have my apologies and retraction. :)

I'd suggest again that your best bet is to get someone to do it for you. Not using a brush will mean there are more potential germs around than if you bit the bullet and cleaned it yourself.
    Would you want a stranger bringing all their germs into your house?
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 12,003
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    degsyhufc wrote: »
    Would you want a stranger bringing all their germs into your house?
    Exactly - go to theirs and do the exchange on their territory :D
  • CRTHDCRTHD Posts: 7,602
    Forum Member
    benjamini wrote: »
    I remember many many years ago my mother cleaning the toilet bowl. She had an old jam jar and she decanted the water into a bucket then cleaned it with a cloth and Vim. vim for anyone who dosnt remember was scouring powder.

You don't mean to say, you can't get Vim now!?

Edit.

Oh it's ok a quick browse and you can....
    Phew!
  • benjaminibenjamini Posts: 32,066
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    CRTHD wrote: »
    You don't mean to say, you can't get Vim now!?

Edit.

Oh it's ok a quick browse and you can....
    Phew!

I'm amazed. :D havnt seen it for years. My mother used it for everything. I thought Jif was the closest. It was incredibly damaging on surfaces .

Also that stuff Gumption I see is also available still.

https://www.masters.com.au/product/100519900/gumption-multi-purpose-cleaner-750g.jsp;jsessionid=0VXgfvPj1G93bH9jztNeXQ__.ncdlmorasp1204?bmUID=kBWgYsI
  • MaxatoriaMaxatoria Posts: 17,980
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    just get a plumber to fit a new pan every day? you'll know it'll be germ free :D obviously the plumber coming in and out the house every day will probably bring in more germs than the old pan will gain in a day but hey ho no cleaning required

when i lived 5 mins from a toilet company it actually would of been a reasonable idea as they seemed to chuck out loads of pans for the smallest of defects in the late 1970's
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,667
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    mrsmoose wrote: »
    I have OCD too, cleaning the toilet is a horrible job but I've found a way that helps me, without using a brush.

I thoroughly spray the inside of the toilet with detol (or something similar), then put detol on a scourering pad and wipe it, everything's covered in anti bactiral stuff at this point so even if you do touch the toilet its OK.
    Then flush it, then put bleach in the bowl and leave it an hour.

Then of course, wash your hands and everything's clean!

Have we met:o I do exactly the same thing, but to be honest with you I was looking for something quicker and as I am getting a new bathroom suite I was looking for fresh ideas, its a bu~~er with my condition and I want to thank everyone for their replies