Options

Phillip Hughes, cricketer

fefsterfefster Posts: 7,388
Forum Member
Very sad to hear that this young man has not pulled through following his injury on the pitch the other day.
Perhaps they will reconsider the safety helmets they wear now.
http://www.smh.com.au/sport/cricket/phillip-hughes-dead-australian-cricketer-dies-after-bouncer-at-scg-20141127-11vcpt.html

Comments

• Options
    idlewildeidlewilde Posts: 8,698
    Forum Member
    fefster wrote: »
    Perhaps they will reconsider the safety helmets they wear now.

It is very sad indeed. I heard that the ball hit him below the ear though as he turned his head, damaging his main artery. I don't know how true that is, but it sounds like a really freak accident, and I'm not sure that the helmet design is to blame.
  • Options
    xfactorisgr8xfactorisgr8 Posts: 20,366
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Horrible news to wake up to.

RIP Phil thoughts go out to your family and friends.

My thoughts and prayers also go to the bowler in this tragic accident.
  • Options
    juliancarswelljuliancarswell Posts: 8,896
    Forum Member
    Cue an army of people that neither play nor follow cricket suddenly becoming experts on the safety of the game.
  • Options
    hopeless casehopeless case Posts: 5,245
    Forum Member
    This has upset me. I don't know why it's upset me so much tbh.

I think it's partly because I was listening to an interview with an Australian cricket journalist who knew him really well, a couple of days ago on 5live.

He described how he was and what his relationships with the other cricketers were like and he choked up a couple of times while talking about him.

He was at the match and had been on the phone to Michael Clarke a minute before the accident and had been saying "hughsey's on 63 and looking good for your place mate" about the test place. He put the phone down and the accident happened. He described how they all thought he was just going to shake it off like so many cricketers do when they are hit, and how sickening it was when he went down.

I can't remember his name, but I feel for him today. Remembering his voice when talking about the accident, I know he will be personally devastated.

RIP Hughsey.
  • Options
    LakieLadyLakieLady Posts: 19,722
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    It's so sad and I really for his family and friends.

My thoughts go out to the bowler, too. He must be feeling really dreadful about this.
  • Options
    Safi74Safi74 Posts: 5,580
    Forum Member
    idlewilde wrote: »
    It is very sad indeed. I heard that the ball hit him below the ear though as he turned his head, damaging his main artery. I don't know how true that is, but it sounds like a really freak accident, and I'm not sure that the helmet design is to blame.

He was a left handed bat. If he had been batting right handed it wouldn't have hit the artery.

It was just an incredibly tragic, totally unpredictable accident.

I cannot bring to imagine how poor Sean Abbott must feel too. That poor man.

Awful, just awful and so so sad.

Rest easy Hughsey. X
  • Options
    noise747noise747 Posts: 30,862
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    It is sad, but it shows that all sports got risks.
  • Options
    Terry NTerry N Posts: 5,262
    Forum Member
    Should cricket be banned? :confused:
  • Options
    kampffenhoffkampffenhoff Posts: 1,556
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I think I read someplace that they have redesigned the helmets and that if he had been wearing the newer type, which was available, he wouldn't have been injured. Terrible tragedy.
  • Options
    kitty86kitty86 Posts: 7,034
    Forum Member
    Sad to hear this news, what an awful accident. My heart goes out to them all.
  • Options
    yorkiegalyorkiegal Posts: 18,929
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    My friend is a neuro scientist who did a lot of research into crash helmets and the vulnerability of the side of the head just by the ear. Hers was related to motor cycles but at the time, there was very little protection on the side of the helmet because most accidents involved injury to the front of the head, and the companies didn't want to spend money reinforcing the helmets at the sides. I think as a result of the research they began to improve their helmets considerably.
    This is a very sad freak accident though, and hopefully he knew nothing about what was happening to him.
  • Options
    LushnessLushness Posts: 38,169
    Forum Member
    Awful news, really felt for the family hearing this on the news this morning. This must be so hard for the bowler, feel for him.
  • Options
    steveh31steveh31 Posts: 13,516
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Terry N wrote: »

*shakes head* the UK's favourite reaction to anything "BAN IT!"
  • Options
    ElyanElyan Posts: 8,781
    Forum Member
    What a terrible accident.

The bowler must be devastated. I imagine he'll never be the same again.
  • Options
    HenryGartenHenryGarten Posts: 24,800
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Very sad to have a young life come to an end like this.

I hope the bowler and all the players manage to get over it.
  • Options
    nanscombenanscombe Posts: 16,588
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    What a great shame but such a freak accident.

Our cricket helmets look like a derivative of a riding hat with a face guard.

A quick google of Baseball helmets seems to show ear protection at the side.

Since it is a similar game with similar risks maybe time for a rethink?
  • Options
    steveh31steveh31 Posts: 13,516
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    nanscombe wrote: »
    What a great shame but such a freak accident.

A quick google of Baseball helmets seems to show ear protection at the side.

Since it is a similar game with similar risks maybe time for a rethink?

The game has been around for centuries and one person dies suddenly there needs to be a rethink?

It was a freak accident that probably won't happen again.
  • Options
    nanscombenanscombe Posts: 16,588
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I'm sure they had a rethink and added a face guard since I don't remember seeing them when I watched cricket many years ago.

Mind you they probably either wore a cloth cap or no head covering at all then (1970s).

If a version of the helmet, with ear protection, was available then cricketers would still be free to decide if they wanted to use it or not.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 557
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I'm sure helmet manufacturers working in conjunction with cricketers have considered the pros and cons of more shields and protections being added.

As I'm sure anyone else who has played the game will tell you, the last thing you want is something that means you can't move your head freely as that will make things a lot more dangerous.

You want to make sure you can effectively get out of the way first and use the helmet as a back up.

If you start to design helmets that are designed to be hit as the primary function you're going to see a lot more injuries.
  • Options
    dee123dee123 Posts: 46,274
    Forum Member

More golf balls hit people's heads and they haven't banned that boring excuse for a sport.
  • Options
    ElyanElyan Posts: 8,781
    Forum Member
    Ruthus wrote: »
    I'm sure helmet manufacturers working in conjunction with cricketers have considered the pros and cons of more shields and protections being added.

As I'm sure anyone else who has played the game will tell you, the last thing you want is something that means you can't move your head freely as that will make things a lot more dangerous.

You want to make sure you can effectively get out of the way first and use the helmet as a back up.

If you start to design helmets that are designed to be hit as the primary function you're going to see a lot more injuries.

Being able to hear shouts from team mates is also hugely important.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,486
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Plenty of overnight cricket expert have sprung who know nothing about the game, never played it, never watched, yet pushing for the sport to be banned.

Waiting for the 1st online petition wanting ban fast bowling / bouncers
  • Options
    Gregory ShapeGregory Shape Posts: 2,595
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The ball hit him in the neck. You can't go out to bat wearing a suit of armour so there are always areas of the body that are exposed. It was a totally freak accident that couldn't have been avoided with any realistically designed helmet.

"This was a freakish accident, because it was an injury to the neck that caused haemorrhage in the brain," he said. "This condition is incredibly rare. It's called vertebral artery dissection, leading to subarachnoid haemorrhage - that's the medical term for it.

"If you look in the literature there's only about 100 cases ever reported, so this is incredibly rare. Only one previous case ever reported as the result of a cricket ball. So I think it's important to realise that yes, we need to review all our procedures and equipment, but this is an incredibly rare type of injury."

Dr Grabs said it was unlikely St Vincent's Hospital had ever seen an injury of that nature.

http://www.espncricinfo.com/australia/content/current/story/803763.html
  • Options
    Gregory ShapeGregory Shape Posts: 2,595
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Also spare a thought for poor Sean Abbott, the bowler. I'll be surprised if he plays again, to be honest.
  • Options
    Miss XYZMiss XYZ Posts: 14,023
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    steveh31 wrote: »
    The game has been around for centuries and one person dies suddenly there needs to be a rethink?

It was a freak accident that probably won't happen again.

Another cricketer, Darryn Randall, died in October last year after he was hit on the side of the head by the ball.