Did Will Smith ever win an oscar

julie2009julie2009 Posts: 4,711
Forum Member
✭✭✭
Can someone please solve a family argument for me and tell me if Will Smith ever won an oscar.
My husband seems to think he won one for Ali while his brother disagrees.

To be honest I think he is was being over-used at times but I didn't hear much about his last film which featured his son Jayden.

Comments

• peteroddanpeteroddan Posts: 1,017
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    He was nominated (for Ali and The Pursuit of Happyness) , but didn't win.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 9
    Forum Member
    He should have though, guy is a legend. Still can't get over that Graham Norton appearance the other month.
  • big brother 9big brother 9 Posts: 18,152
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    chrisehb wrote: »
    He should have though, guy is a legend. Still can't get over that Graham Norton appearance the other month.

It was brilliant. Thr best interview/performance ever
  • SuperAPJSuperAPJ Posts: 10,402
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    My initial reaction was "Yes, for Ali". It's funny how you can seem to remember things that didn't actually happen.
  • Johnny ClayJohnny Clay Posts: 5,315
    Forum Member
    But did it sell the film they were promoting?
  • degsyhufcdegsyhufc Posts: 59,251
    Forum Member
    Any film he shoehorns his son into is going to be crap!
  • TyjetTyjet Posts: 8,509
    Forum Member
    Quick way to check: if you google an actor (or any filmmaker's name) and go to their IMDB page, above the "known for" field and below the preview of some photos, there's a small gold line which will say "Won (x) Oscar(s)." if they've ever won. Otherwise it'll say "Nominated for (x) Oscar(s)", or if they've never been nominated it won't mention Oscars at all :)

(For those who have an IMDB account and use the old page layout, it's the "Awards" field of their profile overview)
  • pingu01pingu01 Posts: 82
    Forum Member
    I personally can't see Will Smith and Oscar fitting comfortably in the same sentence. As likely as George Formby ever winning a MOBO in my humble opinion.
  • SuperAPJSuperAPJ Posts: 10,402
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Tyjet wrote: »
    Quick way to check: if you google an actor (or any filmmaker's name) and go to their IMDB page, above the "known for" field and below the preview of some photos, there's a small gold line which will say "Won (x) Oscar(s)." if they've ever won. Otherwise it'll say "Nominated for (x) Oscar(s)", or if they've never been nominated it won't mention Oscars at all :)

Ah, thanks for the tip! My eyes have probably overlooked that section many times.
  • BelfastGuy125BelfastGuy125 Posts: 7,515
    Forum Member

Really?? really????

For a start no interview on Graham Norton can ever be described as the best.

Secondly, Will Smith is an actor in every sense of the word and his ability to act in real life like the centre of fun and a clown on chatshows is one of them. Ask him about scientology or a serious issue and suddenly mr nice is mr nasty., especially when someone tries to kiss him.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,027
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I am sure that Will Smith could comfortably win a Rasberry Award...but an Oscar ?
  • RebelScumRebelScum Posts: 16,008
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Generally, is Will Smith perceived as a much bigger star by younger people than by those of us who have seen him slowly rise through the ranks over the years?
  • StansfieldStansfield Posts: 6,097
    Forum Member
    julie2009 wrote: »
    Can someone please solve a family argument for me and tell me if Will Smith ever won an oscar.
    My husband seems to think he won one for Ali while his brother disagrees.

To be honest I think he is was being over-used at times but I didn't hear much about his last film which featured his son Jayden.
    Would have been much quicker if you just googled your question - checking on imdb, is the best place.:)
  • Mystical123Mystical123 Posts: 15,811
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    RebelScum wrote: »
    Generally, is Will Smith perceived as a much bigger star by younger people than by those of us who have seen him slowly rise through the ranks over the years?

Depends what you mean by younger people. I'm early 20s and don't rate him at all - he's one of those people that I think is far more famous than they deserve to be. Haven't seen any movie with him in it that I've liked his performance in at all, and I thought that Graham Norton interview that people have raved about earlier in the thread was atrocious. He and his son come across as having highly inflated egos, which I find unpleasant.
  • BelfastGuy125BelfastGuy125 Posts: 7,515
    Forum Member
    Depends what you mean by younger people. I'm early 20s and don't rate him at all - he's one of those people that I think is far more famous than they deserve to be. Haven't seen any movie with him in it that I've liked his performance in at all, and I thought that Graham Norton interview that people have raved about earlier in the thread was atrocious. He and his son come across as having highly inflated egos, which I find unpleasant.

It seems people are easily pleased. He does a little attention seeking rap of the Fresh Prince song and people are creaming themselves.
  • D. MorganD. Morgan Posts: 4,166
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Probably in the minority but can't stand him.
  • Johnny ClayJohnny Clay Posts: 5,315
    Forum Member
    Wouldn't be surprised if a Fresh Prince movie with Will & Son appears in the not too distant future.
  • Kat_12Kat_12 Posts: 1,532
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

I'm pretty much the same (including age). The only films I've seen him in and enjoyed were Independence Day and the first Men In Black, and don't think they were masterpieces by any stretch of the imagination.

Despite the fact most of his movies are average and not exactly box-office record breakers (AFAIK) the movie press/general media frequently describe him as things like "superstar" and "the biggest movie star in the world"? I mean, do they live on another planet, or what?

Although, I was with him on that kiss thing somebody mentioned above. A complete stranger trying to kiss you is inappropriate. In fact, it's assault.
  • Ted CTed C Posts: 11,730
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Kat_12 wrote: »
    I'm pretty much the same (including age). The only films I've seen him in and enjoyed were Independence Day and the first Men In Black, and don't think they were masterpieces by any stretch of the imagination.

Despite the fact most of his movies are average and not exactly box-office record breakers (AFAIK) the movie press/general media frequently describe him as things like "superstar" and "the biggest movie star in the world"? I mean, do they live on another planet, or what?

Although, I was with him on that kiss thing somebody mentioned above. A complete stranger trying to kiss you is inappropriate. In fact, it's assault.

To be fair I think the quotes above refer to his box office clout rather than his acting ability.the simple fact is a lot of people watch his movies and his name sells.

Not liking him or not rating his acting ability is not the same thing, each to their own.

I don't defend him - I personally think he has the potential to win an Oscar, but in theory so do most actors. I wouldn't be surprised if he does a 'Tarantino' in 10 or 15 years time, lays low for a while and gets forgotten about, popularity wanes, but the gets a break playing an older character that becomes a revalation etc...
  • TakaeTakae Posts: 13,555
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    DariaM wrote: »
    I am sure that Will Smith could comfortably win a Rasberry Award...but an Oscar ?

Always a possibility for every actor. Or a film star.

He wasn't that bad in Six Degrees of Separation, though. He had the potential to become a character actor, but he opted to become a film star instead. Seeing how it's turned out, good decision on his part. In any case, he tends to perform well when he isn't a producer. I think he'll slow down and mature like other film stars, e.g. Tom Hanks, Paul Newman, Richard Gere, etc.

Robert Redford and Harrison Ford didn't handle their ageing well. They refused to give up on chasing Leading-Man roles more suitable to younger actors. Harrison Ford finally accepted it about three years ago and took on roles that actually work. I think Will Smith is still chasing, but there are subtle signs that he's changing his gears. We'll see.
  • circlebro2019circlebro2019 Posts: 17,560
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    he deserved one for pursuit of happiness, what a brilliant acting display.
  • dee123dee123 Posts: 46,195
    Forum Member
    No, far more deserving people in front of him who haven't won yet.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 14,920
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

No, but it demonstrated what an embarrassing spare wheel his son was while he tried to be involved in the Fresh Prince routine. Excruciating.
  • Kat_12Kat_12 Posts: 1,532
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    To be fair I think the quotes above refer to his box office clout rather than his acting ability.the simple fact is a lot of people watch his movies and his name sells.

Not liking him or not rating his acting ability is not the same thing, each to their own.

I don't defend him - I personally think he has the potential to win an Oscar, but in theory so do most actors. I wouldn't be surprised if he does a 'Tarantino' in 10 or 15 years time, lays low for a while and gets forgotten about, popularity wanes, but the gets a break playing an older character that becomes a revalation etc...

Apologies, that's what I was referring to. I meant that I haven't seen a great deal of critical acclaim or huge box office numbers to support the way he's described. I mean, if they're just talking box office surely the biggest movie star in the world right now is Robert Downey Jr? Or Christian Bale?

I'm not saying he hasn't received critical praise or been in financially successful films, but his success seems to be exaggerated?
  • homer2012homer2012 Posts: 5,216
    Forum Member
    whedon247 wrote: »
    he deserved one for pursuit of happiness, what a brilliant acting display.

don't normally agree with you but that was an awesome film and yes he deserved an Oscar 100% for it.