Sony budget console £59

Comments

• Jimmy_McNultyJimmy_McNulty Posts: 11,378
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    OMTT wrote: »
    List of compatible games (more will be added through time) https://support.us.playstation.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/5376

Strangely, it only lists episode one of TWD season 2 but the whole first season. I hope episode 5 is compatible.

It's a very impressive list. My only real complaint is that I would've liked more Tekken games
  • brbbrb Posts: 27,561
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Any news on the prices of games? Sony seem to be conveniently leaving this out when advertising it.
  • fastest fingerfastest finger Posts: 12,872
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    brb wrote: »
    Any news on the prices of games? Sony seem to be conveniently leaving this out when advertising it.

It runs the existing PSOne, PSP and PS Vita games, so the same price as they are now.

Just download them from PSN as usual, or you have the option to buy Vita cards too.
  • Jimmy_McNultyJimmy_McNulty Posts: 11,378
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

You can't put a price on classics like Future Cop:LAPD and MediEvil!
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Saw one of these in action yesterday streaming, PS4 Driveclub to a second TV.

The picture quality looked pretty good, but there was a definite drop in frame rate. Just like streaming to a Vita. Probably good enough for occasional / casual use, but if you're a hardcore online PvP gamer it will most likely drive you insane.

A quick glance at my phone showed about 15 WiFi networks in use though, so not sure if that amount of traffic would have any negative impact.
  • OMTTOMTT Posts: 5,459
    Forum Member
    I'm certain I read a few days ago that games getting streamed would be capped at 30fps
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I'm certain I read a few days ago that games getting streamed would be capped at 30fps

Yeah, I'm certain that's the case with a regular Vita on Remote Play too. But with Driveclub being a 30fps game, I'm not sure why there should be a noticeable difference between the live and streamed versions.
  • ArtfulDodger81ArtfulDodger81 Posts: 965
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Its been released in the US and has had mixed reviews so far
    Picture quality isnt as good as some of the demos and considerably worse when its through wifi rather than LAN.
    Most of the apps dont work, most noteably Netflix, who have said they have no plans for compatibility yet.

I was going to buy this for remote play and for Netflix but will wait for all the updates etc to be ironed out before buying it.

Gamestop have it for £75, but be careful as customer service there is appaling to non existant
  • brbbrb Posts: 27,561
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Yup. reviews coming in and people generally aren't impressed:

http://uk.ign.com/articles/2014/10/17/playstation-tv-review
    http://www.cnet.com/products/sony-playstation-tv/

I'll still pick one up for the second PS4 screen, though. Not too interested in the other features anyway so it'll suit me fine.

edit: one thing that does annoy me is that IGN praise Sony for including an HDMI cable... this should be as standard! When you buy something like this, everything you need to set it up should be included in the damn box anyway!
  • YuffieYuffie Posts: 9,864
    Forum Member
    Yup. reviews coming in and people generally aren't impressed:

http://uk.ign.com/articles/2014/10/17/playstation-tv-review
    http://www.cnet.com/products/sony-playstation-tv/

I'll still pick one up for the second PS4 screen, though. Not too interested in the other features anyway so it'll suit me fine.

edit: one thing that does annoy me is that IGN praise Sony for including an HDMI cable... this should be as standard! When you buy something like this, everything you need to set it up should be included in the damn box anyway!

You'd edit : true but it's crazy the things that don't come with proper leads these days. My sister bought a DS for her son last Christmas and it didn't come with a charger. She had to buy that separately. I bought a printer last year and it didn't come with a usb lead. These are important leads. I dint care that I've a million useless leads around the house and in the attic, I need these ones.
  • gillyallangillyallan Posts: 31,722
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Sounds ok if you have a Ps4 and can hard wire both. . Can see MS releasing something similar for x1.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    gillyallan wrote: »
    Sounds ok if you have a Ps4 and can hard wire both. . Can see MS releasing something similar for x1.

If they've got any sense, MS will do a "stream to Surface" function, or perhaps a generic one built into Smartglass.

PS4 has the advantage of Gaikai tech and dedicated hardware though, so perhaps easier said than done.
    Forum Member
    I wonder how well it performs through homeplugs? I have my PS4 wired to my router & a homeplug in my bedroom for Apple TV but I'll just use wireless on that instead and connect the PSTV to it.

I'll just use it for PS4 streaming and some Vita games. Not really interested in PS Now unless it offers PS4 games in the future
  • TommyNookaTommyNooka Posts: 2,396
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I don't know why people are surprised that this is a bit shit, it was always odds on that something designed for a 5 inch screen is going to look pretty bad on a 50 inch screen and this device is mostly using Vita technology.
  • SimonB79SimonB79 Posts: 3,135
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    TommyNooka wrote: »
    I don't know why people are surprised that this is a bit shit, it was always odds on that something designed for a 5 inch screen is going to look pretty bad on a 50 inch screen and this device is mostly using Vita technology.

I'll probably get one (from Amazon) purely to play driveclub (& LBP) in another room! (Instead of using my psvita) ... I've already got a spare duelshock4 & 32GB card lying around somewhere so the additional cost doesn't apply to me! :) ... & ya get afew free games apparently! :cool:
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Any idea if you can change to other accounts on your ps4 through it or does it only connect to the one account you set it up for. ...like vita?
  • SimonB79SimonB79 Posts: 3,135
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Any idea if you can change to other accounts on your ps4 through it or does it only connect to the one account you set it up for. ...like vita?

I've just set mine up & had a quick 5mins! 😊 ... It's totally identical to the psvita! 😳 ... So I'd imagine functionalitywise there the same! ... Will give it a thorough going over tonight! 👍
    Forum Member
    If anyone has Walking Dead season 2 on the Vita, would they be able to test to see if it works on the PSTV please? Season 1 was on the compatibility list but 2 wasn't. I had the final episode to complete before I left my Vita on holiday :(
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Also what would my work around be if my son got this and wants obviously to connect to our ps4 on his own account but plus is on my account so that is where the free games are ?
    Forum Member
    Also what would my work around be if my son got this and wants obviously to connect to our ps4 on his own account but plus is on my account so that is where the free games are ?

There's no need for a workaround really.

Remember, PS TV is just like using a vita. Using the pstv, your son will be able to log into his account on the ps4 and play your games, just as if he was using the ps4 and TV. All the pstv does is transfer what you see to another television.

You just need to make sure that, the ps4 is the "primary ps4" for both accounts.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    What about the vita games though?
    Forum Member
    What about the vita games though?

Crap. I forgot about the vita games.

Seems you might need a workaround after all.

If it's just like the vita, you can't play someone else's games.
  • martytartymartytarty Posts: 368
    Forum Member
    I'd really like playstation TV mainly because of being able to play my ps4 in my bedroom.

I so nearly purchased this today but I'm reading around the web that ps4 remote play is laggy as hell, even worse on WiFi, I can't justify forking out £85 for something that wont work very well.

So anyone tried ps4 remote play via wifi to another TV in the house, how does it perform?
    Forum Member
    How are people connecting their's? I have homeplugs in my bedroom and would connect mine to that as a makeshift hard wired connection, just wondering if results are good? Won't be getting it until my birthday in January so if there are any niggles, hopefully they'll be ironed out by then
  • martytartymartytarty Posts: 368
    Forum Member
    How are people connecting their's? I have homeplugs in my bedroom and would connect mine to that as a makeshift hard wired connection, just wondering if results are good? Won't be getting it until my birthday in January so if there are any niggles, hopefully they'll be ironed out by then

Yeah I was thinking about purchasing homeplugs for the bedroom, can i connect a tp link switch box to a homeplug it so I can wire up multiple devices in my bedroom?