Concorde's Last Passenger flights...............

HenryGartenHenryGarten Posts: 24,800
Forum Member
✭✭✭
The last passenger flights of Concorde landed at Heathrow ten years ago today. How the years have flown. (unintended pun :) )

Were you a Concorde fan? Did you ever fly in it? Were you there to see the final flights arrive at Heathrow?

What are your memories of Concorde?

Comments

• annette kurtenannette kurten Posts: 39,543
    Forum Member
    a boy at primary school said his father was piloting the first flight and was planning to land on the village green, a girl at secondary school said her pa [who worked at the paper mill] was flying it on a regular basis.
  • HoffmisterHoffmister Posts: 12,021
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Lots of sailors rejoiced when the flights ended OP.. the thing would go super sonic when it cleared the british coast ... you dont get used to the sinic bang .. one second lifes all peacefull the next you think the worlds exploded. you get no warning.

An Aunt of mine did the last flight to France ... after all the expence of fitting the plans out with cavlar to stop any more wing intrusion by a foreign object we have now gone with new super massive planes and slow speeds.

Do you remember the rusian copy the concordskie ... Im feeling old and like a history teacher with no mates right now
  • HenryGartenHenryGarten Posts: 24,800
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Hoffmister wrote: »
    Lots of sailors rejoiced when the flights ended OP.. the thing would go super sonic when it cleared the british coast ... you dont get used to the sinic bang .. one second lifes all peacefull the next you think the worlds exploded. you get no warning.

An Aunt of mine did the last flight to France ... after all the expence of fitting the plans out with cavlar to stop any more wing intrusion by a foreign object we have now gone with new super massive planes and slow speeds.

Do you remember the rusian copy the concordskie ... Im feeling old and like a history teacher with no mates right now

I remember Concordski well. If memory serves me right it first flew on Christmas Eve 1968 (New Year's Eve apparently) . Well in those days the Russians had to be first.

Then Concordski had a spectacular crash at Paris Air Show in 1973. It was never quite the same after that.
  • krytenkkrytenk Posts: 1,796
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    My dad got "upgraded" to Concorde quite regularly when he was flying to the US for work, jammy git. I never got to fly on it, but did get a tour round it as a kid when my uncle worked at Heathrow. Beautiful piece of machinery.

My almost 4 year old is fascinated by planes, much as I was at that age. He often asks to see the video of the final landing on YouTube. Has me in tears every time!
  • dearmrmandearmrman Posts: 21,515
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    One of my regrets...had the chance for 3 nights in New York and return back on Concorde for just under £600.00....decided to go to Tenerife instead :(
  • Mark39LondonMark39London Posts: 3,977
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I wasn't at Heathrow, but I watched them as they did their final approach over London. Taking them out of service was a sad loss IMO, but the project as a whole was a huge triumph of British and French science and engineering skill.

On a side note, I was hugely jealous of a work colleague, who won a flight on Concorde!
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I wasn't at Heathrow, but I watched them as they did their final approach over London. Taking them out of service was a sad loss IMO, but the project as a whole was a huge triumph of British and French science and engineering skill.

On a side note, I was hugely jealous of a work colleague, who won a flight on Concorde!

It was fantastic wasn't it? One of those moments in history when it was great to be there. I was just outside Heathrow.
  • Glawster2002Glawster2002 Posts: 15,211
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    We went to Portishead to watch the last ever Concorde flight, when it flew in to Filton. We watched it fly along the Severn and over the two Severn Crossings before turning to fly along the River Avon. As it had so many local connections a lot of people were in tears as it flew over.
  • Mumof3Mumof3 Posts: 4,529
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I remember watching Blue Peter's Lesley Judd reporting live from Washington, in 1976, having flown from London on Concorde's first commercial flight. It was as if time travel had been achieved before my eyes, as the flight took less than 4 hours and there's an 8hr time difference between the UK and Washington, so Concorde arrived long 'before' it had taken off. For a 9 year old, that's pretty amazing to see.
  • elliecatelliecat Posts: 9,890
    Forum Member
    I miss hearing it fly over head, you could always hear it coming and it would make things in the house rattle (we would say oh that's concorde flying over), it was so much louder than normal planes(and they fly overhead everyday and you never really notice them). I remember sitting on the grass at University watching the last one flying towards Heathrow(we could see planes waiting to land in the distance), it brought a lump to my throat.
  • DMN1968DMN1968 Posts: 2,875
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    dearmrman wrote: »
    One of my regrets...had the chance for 3 nights in New York and return back on Concorde for just under £600.00....decided to go to Tenerife instead :(

Crikey - when was that - 1978? :)

My career in the aviation industry has seen me fly in many types of aircraft, from large commercial transport/passenger aircraft through to fast jets, yet I never got anywhere near a Concorde flight. I would have swapped half of all the aircraft I have flown in for a transatlantic Concorde flight. Or a chance to go up in a Lancaster or Spitfire.
  • trevgotrevgo Posts: 28,241
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I hate flying, but have done loads. Dread every one, but I would loved to have gone on Concorde (one of the first battles lost to the French during development was an "e" on the end of the name).

It was absolutely a project of it's time. Not only the total lack of concern over resources during it's development, but the sheer will to achieve. That is completely and totally lacking today in any European country. It was a phenomenal feat of engineering, and a thing of sheer beauty, but in reality it cost the country a huge amount of money that could have been far more wisely spent. The commercial case was always very fragile, and once the sonic boom implications were realised and the oil crisis exploded, it melted away like an icecube in the desert.

Few people realise how close it came to not being built. Roy Jenkins writes in his autobiography of how, after the endlessly tortuous meetings with the French and the final decision to go ahead, he confided to his French counterpart "I can only tell you now - we were praying that you would pull out, as we desperately wanted to but had to save face". The Frenchman said "it was exactly the same on our side". It only existed through stubborn national pride.

Very sad to see it's last flight, but not so sad as the Air France crash, which was far more to do with maintenance than the plane's design.
  • Miss XYZMiss XYZ Posts: 14,023
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I would've loved to have flown on Concorde. I used to enjoy hearing it fly over my house every day.
  • epicurianepicurian Posts: 19,291
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I never flew, but my husband took one of the last flights, and absolutely loved it.

The closest I've been was getting thoroughly spoilt while waiting for a flight in the Concorde Room at Heathrow this past July. I don't know how I'm going to go back to steerage next time. :(
  • anne_666anne_666 Posts: 72,891
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I have never flown in Concord but had a look around when it was in the developmental stages at Brize Norton in about 1971?Very impressive but smaller than we imagined.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    anne_666 wrote: »
    I have never flown in Concord but had a look around when it was in the developmental stages at Brize Norton in about 1971?Very impressive but smaller than we imagined.

There was a pre-production model at Duxford in 1991. Not sure if it is still there.
  • dearmrmandearmrman Posts: 21,515
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    DMN1968 wrote: »
    Crikey - when was that - 1978? :)

My career in the aviation industry has seen me fly in many types of aircraft, from large commercial transport/passenger aircraft through to fast jets, yet I never got anywhere near a Concorde flight. I would have swapped half of all the aircraft I have flown in for a transatlantic Concorde flight. Or a chance to go up in a Lancaster or Spitfire.

Early to mid 1990's...Special offer with BA for those in the Travel Industry, it was based on Stand By for that sort of price, so paying passengers got priority. They did some really good deals all over the World (the product no longer exists now), did Australia for £249.00 which went to Alice Springs, Uluru, Melbourne & Sydney. Also a weeks All Inclusive in Jamaica for £199.00.
  • Deep PurpleDeep Purple Posts: 63,255
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    There was a pre-production model at Duxford in 1991. Not sure if it is still there.

I was there a month ago, and there is a Concorde. You are allowed inside, and it is very small, with fairly cramped seats.
  • Kiko H FanKiko H Fan Posts: 6,546
    Forum Member
    We went to Portishead to watch the last ever Concorde flight, when it flew in to Filton. We watched it fly along the Severn and over the two Severn Crossings before turning to fly along the River Avon. As it had so many local connections a lot of people were in tears as it flew over.

It landed at Filton?

Having worked near there, I didn't know the runway was that big?
  • Ethel_FredEthel_Fred Posts: 34,127
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    There are few aircraft that ordinary people would flock from miles around to see - Concorde was one of them
  • Richard1960Richard1960 Posts: 20,344
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The last passenger flights of Concorde landed at Heathrow ten years ago today. How the years have flown. (unintended pun :) )

Were you a Concorde fan? Did you ever fly in it? Were you there to see the final flights arrive at Heathrow?

What are your memories of Concorde?

Yes i flew in it on a charter to Amsterdam i remember just how small it was inside with plush loos it was very sleek with small windows.

Smooth take off and landing and going supersonic.

Its a great pity they could not of kept a couple flying in fact its a scandal truly a great engineering feat and the world only supersonic passenger aircraft.

Going to hear Tony Benn on Monday night the ex government minister who pushed it through.
  • MAWMAW Posts: 38,777
    Forum Member
    I used to sail catamrans at Datchet. We'd be racing on a Sunday early afternoon, everyone used to stand up and salute as it flew over. The noise on takeoff, climbing power, was awe inspiring. I've been in one at Brooklands, I'd have loved a flight, but sadly, I'm not in that financial class.
  • Joey_JJoey_J Posts: 5,146
    Forum Member
    I wonder how long it will be until we have passenger airlines as fast as concord, not too long I'd imagine

A magnificent plane for sure
  • Richard1960Richard1960 Posts: 20,344
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    MAW wrote: »
    I used to sail catamrans at Datchet. We'd be racing on a Sunday early afternoon, everyone used to stand up and salute as it flew over. The noise on takeoff, climbing power, was awe inspiring. I've been in one at Brooklands, I'd have loved a flight, but sadly, I'm not in that financial class.

It was expensive to fly supersonic to the US but a short charter flight was just about affordable if you could get on one.

Glad i did.:)
  • anne_666anne_666 Posts: 72,891
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Joey_J wrote: »
    I wonder how long it will be until we have passenger airlines as fast as concord, not too long I'd imagine

A magnificent plane for sure

Flying at supersonic speed was a restriction in the use of Concord. That will always apply?