Whch real life story would you like to see

woofwoof77woofwoof77 Posts: 2,166
Forum Member
✭✭✭
..be made into a film? (that hasnt already been made?

I watched a documentary the other day about the Space Shuttle challenger that exploded in 1986, was interesting and I thought maybe would make a good film ...well they did it with Apollo 13 =/

Maybe the Ariel castro case, the kidnap and discovery of the 3girls in Cleveland would make a good film.

I know its not seen as good to make these sorts of things into films but I like it anyway, IF the film is good.

Comments

• TakaeTakae Posts: 13,555
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    So many choices. My top five picks:

John Bellingham
    It'd be great to do one about the life and circumstances of John Bellingham, who was responsible for the assassination of British prime minister Sir Spencer Perceval. It could include a weird (and imo, funny) part about their alleged descendants (Henry Bellingham and Roger Perceval) facing each other in a local election in 1997. Perceval won by citing the 1812 assassination, which turned the local public against Henry Bellingham. So British. :D

Martin Luther King Jr.
    I can't believe there is still no film about his life, activities and/or assassination. He usually appears as a minor character in civil-rights films. Weird. Even odder that there are already three films about Malcolm X. :confused:

The Peterloo Massacre of Manchester
    The budget would be painful, but could work as a mini series or something.

Michael Malloy
    I was both appalled and amused when I heard about this Irish American immigrant's story.

William Cuffay
    A London leader and organiser of the Chartist movement. Actually, I'd be fine with a film about the Chartist movement itself if it'd happen.
  • revolver44revolver44 Posts: 22,766
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The Whaleship Essex
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Essex_%28whaleship%29
    Now that would make an interesting, if harrowing film.

John Franklin's Northwest Passage Expedition
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/John_Franklin#1845_Northwest_Passage_expedition
    Again, a fascinating story crying out for a movie.

I best stop there as I've realised all my movies would be historical tragedies & disasters :p
  • ShaunIOWShaunIOW Posts: 11,303
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    The betrayal and trial of the Knights Templar's by the French king and pope.

The life of Admiral Lord Nelson.

The events leading up to WW1.
  • CLL DodgeCLL Dodge Posts: 115,630
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    Jimmy Savile.
  • rfonzorfonzo Posts: 11,771
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Sir Alex Ferguson. The era from when he first took charge of Manchester United in 1986 to when the team won it's first title in 1992-1993. It would make for the most interesting era in relation to how it would have portrayed the struggle he had in changing the culture of the club. When he first came, he felt the club was unprofessional and was concerned about the 'drinking culture' with some of the players. Then of course, he was not instantly successful so some of the fans were calling for him to leave.
  • rfonzorfonzo Posts: 11,771
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    CLL Dodge wrote: »
    Jimmy Savile.

I would prefer to see a perspective of how the BBC may have covered it up rather than on the man himself.
  • Pea1Pea1 Posts: 383
    Forum Member
    rfonzo wrote: »
    Sir Alex Ferguson. The era from when he first took charge of Manchester United in 1986 to when the team won it's first title in 1992-1993. It would make for the most interesting era in relation to how it would have portrayed the struggle he had in changing the culture of the club. When he first came, he felt the club was unprofessional and was concerned about the 'drinking culture' with some of the players. Then of course, he was not instantly successful so some of the fans were calling for him to leave.

Definitely Sir Alex. Also Steve Jobs and Richard Branson.
  • Inky BinkyInky Binky Posts: 2,261
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I would like to see someone make a biographical film about H.P. Lovecraft.
    Takae wrote: »
    Martin Luther King Jr.
    I can't believe there is still no film about his life, activities and/or assassination. He usually appears as a minor character in civil-rights films. Weird. Even odder that there are already three films about Malcolm X. :confused:

There was a 3-part biographical TV miniseries in 1978 called KING. It starred Paul Winfield as the civil rights leader and Cicely Tyson as his wife. LINK

Oliver Stone has been wanting to do a film about him but I have no idea when that will happen.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 33
    Forum Member
    The life of J.R.R Tolkien and C.S Lewis. Tolkien 's time in the Great War, Lewis' struggle with religion, their time as members of the Inkings and their falling out and so forth.

A film detailing the Byzantine general Belisarius, his fractured relationship with Emperor Justinian and his eventual fall at the hands of Justinian.

A film set during the First Crusade following Bohemond Prince of Taranto in particular.

The fascinating life of Alexandre Davy de la Pailleterie (the Black Count), father of the great writer Alexandre Dumas of Monte Cristo and Musketeer fame. Alex's time as a general serving Napoleon in particular.
  • kippehkippeh Posts: 6,655
    Forum Member
    The Chilean Miners Rescue
  • LMLM Posts: 63,327
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    kippeh wrote: »
    The Chilean Miners Rescue

They are doing one. Or at least a film based on it. I am not sure
  • Will_BennettsWill_Bennetts Posts: 3,054
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Sir bobby Robson
    Vince McMahon
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Hans Massaquoi's life story. He was a black lad living in Berlin during the Nazi's reign. Fascinating.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hans_Massaquoi
  • TakaeTakae Posts: 13,555
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    revolver44 wrote: »
    Hans Massaquoi's life story. He was a black lad living in Berlin during the Nazi's reign. Fascinating.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hans_Massaquoi

There is a TV film, adapted from his book: Neger, Neger, Schornsteinfeger (2006).
  • JenzenJenzen Posts: 7,364
    Forum Member
    Rafi wrote: »
    The life of J.R.R Tolkien and C.S Lewis. Tolkien 's time in the Great War, Lewis' struggle with religion, their time as members of the Inkings and their falling out and so forth.

That would be an interesting film :)
  • Will_BennettsWill_Bennetts Posts: 3,054
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    What about a film leading up to the disappearance of the drummer from the manic street preachers Richey Edwards?
  • spiney2spiney2 Posts: 27,058
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    rupert murdoch. but who would dare make it ?

professor higgs. lots of scenes of him scribbling equations down on paper, intercut with scenes of him salmon fishing inh scotland ...

cameron and osborn. brit flick abouut two toffs who dont know the price of milk. nice change from the usual gritty crime or ken loach rubbish.
  • dee123dee123 Posts: 46,195
    Forum Member
    Nellie Bly/Elizabeth Cochrane.

Arthur Phillip.
  • Eddie BadgerEddie Badger Posts: 6,005
    Forum Member
    Chuck Yeager, WW2 fighter ace and test pilot http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Chuck_yeager. He's already been played by Sam Shepard in The Right Stuff but a film concentrating on Yeager would be worth seeing.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Takae wrote: »
    There is a TV film, adapted from his book: Neger, Neger, Schornsteinfeger (2006).

Thanks, shall keep a lookout for this :)
  • Kat_12Kat_12 Posts: 1,532
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Looking forward to the one that's apparently being made about the early efforts to climb Everest.

Typhoid Mary, maybe a slightly fictionalised story based on this book

Would love a film about Fred Astaire, but it may be tricky to find an actor who can dance well enough. I also believe Astaire expressed a wish to never be portrayed on film.

Would like a better one about Bletchley Park. They are doing a biopic of Alan Turing which could well feature it heavily.
  • Ancient IDTVAncient IDTV Posts: 10,124
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Arthur C. Clarke - Plenty of material for a film there.
  • kerrminatorkerrminator Posts: 618
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    The late Jonny Tapia, there 2 or 3 guys I know from this forum who would agree. He was a boxer who had a life so bad it kinda has to be put on the big screen one day. His book 'mi vida loca' is a great but emotional read
  • mgvsmithmgvsmith Posts: 16,452
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I would like to see a movie about the life and times of Marc Bolan.
  • cnbcwatchercnbcwatcher Posts: 56,681
    Forum Member
    Miracle on the Hudson plane crash