Steven L HunterSteven L Hunter Posts: 10,724
Forum Member
✭✭
Vodafone are offering an extra 4GB of data until 31st Oct 2013

http://www.vodafone.co.uk/shop/plan-selector/index.htm#4g

Comments

• jabbamk1jabbamk1 Posts: 8,942
    Forum Member
    Wait... 4GB extra until October 31st....?

Does that mean that your data drops back down to say 2GB from 6GB starting November 1st?
    Or is the 4GB for the entire contract as long as you sign up before November?

If the former then whats the point of test drive for the first three months?
  • Kenny MacleanKenny Maclean Posts: 1,318
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    It's for all current 4G customers, and people who sign up before 31st October - for the entire remainder of their contract (so up to 24 months of an extra 4GB).
  • wavejockglwwavejockglw Posts: 10,596
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Well, Well, Well.... the penny has dropped at Vodafone that data limits matter especially on 4G. They have now decided to make a small offering to those signing up to their expensive price plans, probably enough for most who use their mobiles for browsing and watching YouTube etc but nowhere near enough to fend off 'unlimited data', which is not yet available from any other operator but Vodafone seem to have smelled the coffee!

The 4GB offer might be good enough to fend off EE competition I think.

Expect to see this 'offer' extended and perhaps improved as others start offering 4G availability.
  • Zee_BukhariZee_Bukhari Posts: 1,335
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    so if you buy 2GB you'll get 6GB until 31st October? whats the point?
  • Kenny MacleanKenny Maclean Posts: 1,318
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    so if you buy 2GB you'll get 6GB until 31st October? whats the point?

No, you get 6GB for the rest of your contract.

31st is the deadline for the offer.
  • sethpetsethpet Posts: 497
    Forum Member
    No if you take a 2GB plan before 31st october you will get 6gb until the end of your contract.
  • Chris1973Chris1973 Posts: 670
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Its just a personal opinion and 4GB extra is a step in the right direction, but even that 4GB won't go far, if you are doing the type of streaming / tethering which justifies the premium which 4G attracts from the networks currently offering it.

At the end of the day, with feet planted firmly into reality, its only a good deal and worth the additional expense if you can use it and to your advantage, and for most mobile data users, it simply won't fall into that category. The investment will never pay for itself.

For those who would fully utilise and therefore get the benefit of the faster technology, the current data allowances don't allow for the 30gb, 50gb or 150gb which they are currently consuming on All-you-can eat. So you get one type of customer who is overpaying for something they are not getting the benefit of (and never will), and others who would use it at its full capability, but can't, because of the 3G-style data caps.

I know somebody who has recently upgraded to 4G and who uses less than 1gb a month and think "what is the point?", the few lines of text that they frequently enter into facebook thirty times per day doesn't seem to appear any faster on their 4G than on my 3G connection and it still appears in the time it takes a human to blink on either connection, but they are paying three times more per month for little practical reason other than because their mates have it, or because their phone happens to have the compatibility so they feel compelled to get a matching network (even though their personal data usage doesn't go anywhere close to ever justify it)

Unfortunately, when that novelty wears off, they still have 23 months left to pay off the premium, whilst for much of that period, others will pay less for 4G from various other networks, and I suspect that even with 4G the usage pattern of most 'average' phone users won't change much either.

4G has its place and potential but it doesn't make much sense to me unless you are uploading 100's of hi-res photos and large files every day or steaming netflix or Iplayer all weekend.
    Forum Member
    Agreed. I have not found anything more than i could do on 3G

only on 4G as it reduced my costs and increased data allowance
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I don't see why it is so hard for them to do it now with 4G as they have so much spectrum, although its a step In the right direction, wont take people away from all-you-can-eat though
  • daclickdaclick Posts: 3,393
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Is this available to customers who have upgraded they're plan and plan only to 4G?
    Forum Member
    daclick wrote: »
    Is this available to customers who have upgraded they're plan and plan only to 4G?

i called 191 they said yes that people who changed to a 4G plan without it being an upgrade to the contract will get this.
  • enapaceenapace Posts: 4,303
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I don't see why it is so hard for them to do it now with 4G as they have so much spectrum, although its a step In the right direction, wont take people away from all-you-can-eat though

Actually Vodafone has more 2100MHz and 900MHz then 800MHz fair enough they have more in 2600MHz then 2100MHz and 900MHz. But they don't have that much more if they don't do unlimited on 3G going struggle even more on 4G. Only EE has enough spectrum really to offer unlimited but only after 2G is turned off. It will be interesting to see how Three survive on 4G as they haven't got a massive amount of spectrum. By October 2015 I think they going be really glad for the extra 2x5MHz.
  • Everything GoesEverything Goes Posts: 12,972
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    enapace wrote: »
    Actually Vodafone has more 2100MHz and 900MHz then 800MHz fair enough they have more in 2600MHz then 2100MHz and 900MHz. But they don't have that much more if they don't do unlimited on 3G going struggle even more on 4G. Only EE has enough spectrum really to offer unlimited but only after 2G is turned off. It will be interesting to see how Three survive on 4G as they haven't got a massive amount of spectrum. By October 2015 I think they going be really glad for the extra 2x5MHz.

Three should have about 1 million customers possibly more with 4G capable phones when they launch in December. So they may have a similar amount to EE. Three also have 800MHz too. How they utilise this spectrum remains to be seen.
  • enapaceenapace Posts: 4,303
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Three should have about 1 million customers possibly more with 4G capable phones when they launch in December. So they may have a similar amount to EE. Three also have 800MHz too. How they utilise this spectrum remains to be seen.

Yeah just with EE having 2x20MHz in places like London it could make a massive difference. I think it fairly obvious what is eventually going to happen with 800MHz at least for three they are going use in big cities like London to ease congestion on there 4G network and in rural areas. Eventually we may see it across entire country that would be amazing wish that did happen. It is going be a couple of years at least till we start seeing 5-6 million on 4G [each network i mean] ,hopefully technology will develop to keep up with the demand,
    Forum Member

1.6m

800Mhz roll out starts end after Q2 2014. What enapace said.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    well I hope we get 800MHz in London as I have terrible coverage in spots around my area, all the networks suffer from this in my area not just three
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Vodafone have updated their coverage maps and its interesting to see that they now have 4 classes of coverage. 2G, 3G, 3G900 and 4G. The 4G coverage for planned areas has been estimated but more interesting is the difference between 3G (2100MHz) coverage and 3G900 (900Mhz) coverage, the latter is much greater as one would expect but it's not clear whether the illustrations are current coverage or planned as they will be upgrading many sites with 3G900 at the same time as installing 4G. There are lots of new cabinets now being installed at Vodafone sites in my area so they must be on track to deliver the stated coverage on schedule.
  • Everything GoesEverything Goes Posts: 12,972
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Vodafone have updated their coverage maps and its interesting to see that they now have 4 classes of coverage. 2G, 3G, 3G900 and 4G. The 4G coverage for planned areas has been estimated but more interesting is the difference between 3G (2100MHz) coverage and 3G900 (900Mhz) coverage, the latter is much greater as one would expect but it's not clear whether the illustrations are current coverage or planned as they will be upgrading many sites with 3G900 at the same time as installing 4G. There are lots of new cabinets now being installed at Vodafone sites in my area so they must be on track to deliver the stated coverage on schedule.

They have had 4G licences since Feb and they are only getting organised now and doing installations. Probably too busy contemplating tax aviodance on the Verizon sale :D

Vodafone began a limited roll-out of its 4G mobile network in some parts of London on 29 August, and was accused at the time of taking a "very conservative approach" to 4G.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/technology/news/10296510/Vodafone-to-roll-out-4G-in-another-five-cities.html
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Usual argument for the sake of it stuff....

6 months from licence award to active services is very, very speedy. There was also the small matter of 800MHz being cleared completely across the UK for 4G use.

No pleasing some I suppose but neither Vodafone or O2 are last to market 4G, nor are either making any secret of what their precise development schedule is making it easier for potential customers to assess the suitability of the service in the areas where they need it.
    Forum Member
    This offer has now been extended till January 31st.