Just too Sexual

Comments

• jagged_deathjagged_death Posts: 8,652
    Forum Member
    I watched Madonna when I was younger, it didn't make me a ****. My parents even let me watch Maggie/Beth kiss on Brookside and that didn't effect me either.
  • jagged_deathjagged_death Posts: 8,652
    Forum Member
    Ex-lurker wrote: »
    I'm 28 and suddenly felt like a grumpy old woman last night after commenting to my mum about Rihanna showing too much flesh and saying there would be children watching this. She's an amazing pop star with a great voice but I think the choice of attire was a little inappropriate....

I think it was totally appropriate and rather enjoyable.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 851
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    everything was so much more modest in them good old days: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g7R_PMFZ3ho
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,506
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Just been watching The Wright Show - over 1000 complaints to ITV and a further 1000 complaints to Ofcom due to these dance routines.

I started this thread and I haven't made an official complaint to anyone so I'm guessing 2000 is just the tip of the iceberg.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,302
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I accidentally watched these performances on Saturday and I literally haven't stopped shagging since.

I'd call OFCOM to complain, but I've been too busy objectifying women.
  • BrooklynBoyBrooklynBoy Posts: 10,595
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Strange to see the faux outrage at all this. A few weeks ago the show was dominated by the fact that Matt was wearing a vest. You'd not get discussion about how hot a female contest looked due to lack of clothing, just moaning about it being inappropriate.

Meanwhile, on Strictly Come Dancing and Dancing With The Stars you get endless comments wanting the younger male contestants to take their shirts off. That's apparently all a bit of fun too and yet at the same time there are complaints that the females are wearing skimpy costumes.

It all appears to be horrendous double standards from female viewers.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    smartie 33 wrote: »
    over 1000 complaints to ITV and a further 1000 complaints to Ofcom

I started this thread and I haven't made an official complaint to anyone so I'm guessing 2000 is just the tip of the iceberg.

your numbers are pretty flawed, you have no evidence the 1000 whiners to ITV aren't the same 1000 whiners that contacted OFCOM. chances are there is a major overlap.

it is also commonly known that complainers are more motivated to voice their opinion than supporters do. heck, anyone with experience in customer service knows that.

add in the fact that supporters have no official voice in this case as they will not see much need to contact anyone about a show they found enoyable, and your 1000 bitter people are a most irrelevant 0.006% of the over 17 million viewers.

but then misleading propaganda is nothing new to those with a cause.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 726
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Just been watching The Wright Show - over 1000 complaints to ITV and a further 1000 complaints to Ofcom due to these dance routines.

Well if you do decide to complain, I've started a thread for people to complain also about the Daily Mail reprinting the lurid pictures in the most diiiiiiiisgusting graphic detail. Oh lordy.

Children can buy and see papers after all, and that could be any time of day, not just near the watershed. Oh, the humanity.

http://www.digitalspy.co.uk/forums/showthread.php?t=1409451
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Well if you do decide to complain, I've started a thread for people to complain also about the Daily Mail reprinting the lurid pictures in the most diiiiiiiisgusting graphic detail. Oh lordy.

Children can buy and see papers after all, and that could be any time of day, not just near the watershed. Oh, the humanity.

http://www.digitalspy.co.uk/forums/showthread.php?t=1409451

Yep - I had a good laugh at your thread earlier. And yes, I got the joke. ;)
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,017
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Strange to see the faux outrage at all this. A few weeks ago the show was dominated by the fact that Matt was wearing a vest. You'd not get discussion about how hot a female contest looked due to lack of clothing, just moaning about it being inappropriate.

Meanwhile, on Strictly Come Dancing and Dancing With The Stars you get endless comments wanting the younger male contestants to take their shirts off. That's apparently all a bit of fun too and yet at the same time there are complaints that the females are wearing skimpy costumes.

It all appears to be horrendous double standards from female viewers.

Agree 100%.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    DSDP wrote: »
    your numbers are pretty flawed, you have no evidence the 1000 whiners to ITV aren't the same 1000 whiners that contacted OFCOM. chances are there is a major overlap.

it is also commonly known that complainers are more motivated to voice their opinion than supporters do. heck, anyone with experience in customer service knows that.

add in the fact that supporters have no official voice in this case as they will not see much need to contact anyone about a show they found enoyable, and your 1000 bitter people are a most irrelevant 0.006% of the over 17 million viewers.

but then misleading propaganda is nothing new to those with a cause.

I don't have a particular cause - as I said I haven't made asn official complaint - I only came on digital spy to express my concerns over Christina and Rhianna.

What |I don't understand is why people can't express their disagreement on this forum without being insulting. Why do you have to call those who complain bitter or whiners. You cannot possibly know they are bitter and to express disagreement does not mean that you are whining.

Although it is entirely possible that there might be an overlap, people who work for customer services can also tell you that for every one complaint there can be hundreds who do not go so far as picking up the phone and complaining. I once interviewed someone who worked for somewhere like Ofcom (can't remember the exact organisation) and he said the ratio they were taught to look at was 1:150. So even if it were the same thousand, it still indicates that the true numbers of those who are deeply concerned is far higher.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 726
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I don't have a particular cause - as I said I haven't made asn official complaint - I only came on digital spy to express my concerns over Christina and Rhianna.

What |I don't understand is why people can't express their disagreement on this forum without being insulting. Why do you have to call those who complain bitter or whiners. You cannot possibly know they are bitter and to express disagreement does not mean that you are whining.

Although it is entirely possible that there might be an overlap, people who work for customer services can also tell you that for every one complaint there can be hundreds who do not go so far as picking up the phone and complaining. I once interviewed someone who worked for somewhere like Ofcom (can't remember the exact organisation) and he said the ratio they were taught to look at was 1:150. So even if it were the same thousand, it still indicates that the true numbers of those who are deeply concerned is far higher.

You make a fair point in general. And it's fair to say too that people on the guardian reading left also have a problem with it...but from a more feminist-inspired point of view. So it's not only the DM stereotype.

However, I'd say anyone DEEPLY concerned would have complained and be one of the thousand. Those that are just concerned, yes maybe there are thousands more.

From this point in though all figures become irrelevant, the tabloids and media are trying to create a story...so watch the complaints rise. Just like Jonathan Ross...most of those complainers came in the following weeks, from people who hadn't even heard the show!

Some people really do just like complaining. :)
  • Vicky.Vicky. Posts: 5,948
    Forum Member
    As if kids are really going to be that disturbed by this. :rolleyes:
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

and the fact hardly anyone (in numbers 0.006% of the viewers) shares your ideas and does something about it should tell you that your view is pretty OTT.
    Why do you have to call those who complain bitter or whiners.
    because something is deeply wrong when a TV show gets you so worked up you need to start debates (on the plus side, you didn't take to the streets yet :D) on how bad all the sex (which only a few seem to experience on such a negatve level as you) in it is. i dare to doubt there is a major health issue on your end, so i put it down to simple things, like the usual 'sex is bad' attitude some seem to have. lightening up tends to help with that bitterness. give it a shot. ;)
    Although it is entirely possible that there might be an overlap, people who work for customer services can also tell you that for every one complaint there can be hundreds who do not go so far as picking up the phone and complaining.
    can being the keyword. if these hundreds exist, they didn't feel strongly enough to get their arse in gears though. as with any form of voting, if you don't vote, your voice is irrelevant. all you have is a number of 1k to 2k, which is most likely closer to 1k, due to the overlap.

even if we assume your number is 2k, and if we assume for 1 whiner you get 150 annoyed ones too lazy to call in, we still look at less than 1.8% of the viewers. big deal.

dislike a TV show, swicth over, no one is held at gunpoint to watch anything. but obviously not even that is done by enough to make a noticable impact, seeing numbers aren't exactly imploding.
  • Reality SucksReality Sucks Posts: 28,538
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Vicky. wrote: »
    As if kids are really going to be that disturbed by this. :rolleyes:

Quite right - I've seen far more disturbing things on Doctor Who and that's aimed at children ;)
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 18,013
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Quite right - I've seen far more disturbing things on Doctor Who and that's aimed at children ;)

Your username is too sexual. I think you should put in for a transfer. :D
  • Reality SucksReality Sucks Posts: 28,538
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    ardwark wrote: »
    Your username is too sexual. I think you should put in for a transfer. :D

I'd never seen that connotation before :eek: :o Shows how innocent and uncorruptable I am :D
  • linnyloulinnylou Posts: 18,770
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    1fab wrote: »
    Pop music has always been accompanied by sexy performances, scantily-clad people, etc. I remember watching TOTP in the 70s, and we had an old aunt staying with us, muttering about how "disgusting" the dancers were. I was flabbergasted. To me, it was just an expression of the music, and I loved it. It did not turn me into a sex-crazed person, though. Quite prudish in fact.:o In a way, watching these acts helps you to live out a side of yourself in your imagination without actually doing it yourself. Just a thought.

Yep, and is also what Christina pretty much said the premise of the film was about. :)

I would even hazard a rough guess that whatever the age of the chldren/teens watching the XF, a good proportion of them are fans of Rihanna and/or Christina. And, quite possibly, would have already seen a number of their TV performances and/or music videos, in which they tend not to wear too many clothes. ;)
  • len112len112 Posts: 4,156
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I agree with another poster the performance came across as a bit desperate (Rhianna , didn't see Christina ) She hasn't got the greatest voice but I'd of thought she would have had the confidence to perform without the distraction of being stripped to her knickers
  • ViridianaViridiana Posts: 8,017
    Forum Member
    I thought those acts were pretty boring to be honest plus i simply abhor the hypocrisy of burlesque.

When i was a child back in the 80s, i lived abroad and my parents had absolutely no problem with me watching movies like Emmanuelle, or any sort of soft erotic film, if they were on TV, and honestly it did not even crossed my mind that one that i could try to emulate those person's behaviour. As a child you take things as they are and move on.

I can safely say I'm one of the least promiscuous person you are likely to meet.:D
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 55
    Forum Member
    len112 wrote: »
    I agree with another poster the performance came across as a bit desperate (Rhianna , didn't see Christina ) She hasn't got the greatest voice but I'd of thought she would have had the confidence to perform without the distraction of being stripped to her knickers

Rihanna isn't lacking confidence. Pop stars feel empowered when they sing wearing next to nothing. They wear what they wear to give the impression of a fantasy. I just think it's dumb to think a woman who likes wearing revealing clothes is insecure. I think people are overreacting bigtime. Performers have always been this way! Even Elvis was controversial in his day for thrusting around so much.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 792
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    What percentage is 2000 out of 19.4 million viewers anyhow?
  • ViridianaViridiana Posts: 8,017
    Forum Member
    D4nth3m4n wrote: »

Well but apparently OFCOM makes the counts differently, each complain for them represents a number of people (i do not Know how much), that's how they evaluate if the complain is relevant. It's all a bit absurd in my opinion.
  • Achtung!Achtung! Posts: 3,398
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Rihanna's a big girl isn't she? Those thighs look like they could crush breeze blocks to dust. That saying, I didn't particularly have to turn over in Victorian embarassment. I don't know who the people are who actually bothered to complain. Perhaps they are extremely sexually repressed? Or Catholics? Or mentally ill even?
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    D4nth3m4n wrote: »

if the actual number of viewers was 19.4 million, we look at a hot 0.0103% or 1.546% if you take it x150, for all those too shocked to whine officially - massive market there, innit.