Derek Acorah cancels appearance due to "unforseen circumstances!"

124»

Comments

• ButterfaceButterface Posts: 2,709
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    zx50 wrote: »
    I'm not reading all that, but I'm guessing that everyone that's claimed they're psychic has failed the challenge. I don't think he'll ever have anyone coming to see him that passes his challenge. I challenge you, 'psychic' Sally, to take up his challenge. She wouldn't though, she'd just make up some pathetic excuse as to why she wouldn't do it.

Psychic Sally on the Road -- now there's a show everyone needs to see on PICK TV. What an absolute load of guff. Utter rubbish. She comes across as such a fraud, making it up as she goes along that she makes Degsy Acorah look professional.
  • Andy BirkenheadAndy Birkenhead Posts: 13,450
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Derek Acorah, Psychic Sally, Mystic Meg, all of them.
    They are all frauds, charlatans, vultures. Call them what you will.
    They take advantage of vulnerable peoples' grief.
    I hate them all
  • WhiteShadeWhiteShade Posts: 388
    Forum Member
    I loathe these folk that pretend to speak to folks who have died.It just plays so horribly on vulnerable people.
    Psychic Sally was exposed big style in Dublin last year when the audience heard her being fed information from backstage.

Evidence?

I saw her live last year and didn't sense anything dodgy.
  • gregsanisongregsanison Posts: 648
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I read his book as on the back cover it said that he explains what happened when he met the ghost of Mary Queen of Scots! That sound interesting!

All he wrote was that he saw her ghost and that was it!

Guy is a fraud
  • be more pacificbe more pacific Posts: 19,061
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    WhiteShade wrote: »
    Evidence?

So the legal disclaimer stating "For entertainment purposes only" didn't give you a slight clue that maybe psychics can't really receive messages from the dead? If that didn't make you suspicious, the messages in Sally's glass orb should have made you ask yourself why a "psychic" would want personal details to be written down?

You could see a good mentalist such as Derren Brown who can perform similar tricks and tell people things about themselves that "he couldn't possibly have known". The essential difference is that Brown is honest about performing tricks while scum like Acorah and Morgan are always "in character" pretending they really can receive messages from your dead relatives.
  • soundchecksoundcheck Posts: 351
    Forum Member
    You could see a good mentalist such as Derren Brown who can perform similar tricks and tell people things about themselves that "he couldn't possibly have known". The essential difference is that Brown is honest about performing tricks while scum like Acorah and Morgan are always "in character" pretending they really can receive messages from your dead relatives.

While I agree with you, I would also note that Brown often attributes (or at least used to attribute) to psychology what would be more honestly attributed to sleight of hand and illusion. This aroused the ire of several psychologists and other mental health professionals who had to deal with the fall-out of people being afraid of psychology because it's "how Derren Brown makes people do weird things".

I don't think that it is in the same league as Acorah and his like, but the charge of misrepresentation can also be laid at the door of some "mentalist" magicians.
  • zx50zx50 Posts: 91,263
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Evidence?

Come on. As soon as more detail is required she just comes out with the classic line: "lets thank this lovely lady/man for coming". She's about as psychic as the grass is pink.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    So the legal disclaimer stating "For entertainment purposes only" didn't give you a slight clue that maybe psychics can't really receive messages from the dead? If that didn't make you suspicious, the messages in Sally's glass orb should have made you ask yourself why a "psychic" would want personal details to be written down?

Believe me, he could not perform that trick with me.
  • marianna01marianna01 Posts: 2,598
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    It always amazes me that their live shows are so packed out. Are people really so gullible? Sadly it would seem so.
  • riverside 57riverside 57 Posts: 14,380
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Evidence?

http://www.guardian.co.uk/science/2011/sep/20/psychic-sally-morgan-hears-voices

I have always believed she was a bullsh*tter, from the very first moment I saw her take a photo of someone very famous on her "Psychic to the Stars" show and claim to have never heard of them and then give "amazing" accounts of stuff going on in their lives! :rolleyes:
  • DH7DH7 Posts: 11
    Forum Member
    I worked with Derek pre-Most Haunted and found him odd, but his wife was even weirder. She's very much the driving force behind his 'career'. Anyway, we were filming something and he informed me that he was getting messages from my grandfather. He quantified it as my mother's father, who was alive and well, at the time. He was adamant about these messages, but I walked away before he could share them with me.

Still, as uncomfortable as that was, it wasn't half as bad as the time a woman shouted at him for lying to her about when she'd be pregnant. Very uncomfortable to see how some people hang on his every word.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 17,021
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    If you book a ticket to see a show, or have a reading, you have given them your name. So, they can search for your name and the town you're in. If someone with your name in your town has been in the papers for any reason, it will take them less than 60 seconds to find out. Or, if there is going to be a show in a town, they could find out what big news story has happened there recently - chances are, someone in the audience will have some connection to it. Or, someone can strike up a friendly conversation with you in the line for the show. That someone is actually getting information.

They prey on your grief: don't give them your time or your money.

If anyone ever passes the Randi challenge, I'll be amazed.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    DH7 wrote: »
    I worked with Derek pre-Most Haunted and found him odd, but his wife was even weirder. She's very much the driving force behind his 'career'. Anyway, we were filming something and he informed me that he was getting messages from my grandfather. He quantified it as my mother's father, who was alive and well, at the time. He was adamant about these messages, but I walked away before he could share them with me.

Still, as uncomfortable as that was, it wasn't half as bad as the time a woman shouted at him for lying to her about when she'd be pregnant. Very uncomfortable to see how some people hang on his every word.

Thanks for sharing that, very interesting. Also a little :eek:. :D

When people are feeling vulnerable they seek out hope. Messing with someone's head/feelings about a pregnancy is downright cruel. :(
  • be more pacificbe more pacific Posts: 19,061
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    If you book a ticket to see a show, or have a reading, you have given them your name. So, they can search for your name and the town you're in. If someone with your name in your town has been in the papers for any reason, it will take them less than 60 seconds to find out. Or, if there is going to be a show in a town, they could find out what big news story has happened there recently - chances are, someone in the audience will have some connection to it. Or, someone can strike up a friendly conversation with you in the line for the show. That someone is actually getting information.

They prey on your grief: don't give them your time or your money.

If anyone ever passes the Randi challenge, I'll be amazed.
    Also, social media seems to be a big way for uncritical punters to give away information about themselves. It's shocking how many paranormal believers will contact high profile mediums through Facebook and/or Twitter to say they will be attending forthcoming shows.
  • Big Boy BarryBig Boy Barry Posts: 35,369
    Forum Member
    I hope a real demon gets him.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I hope a real demon gets him.

I think Derek Acorah would crap himself if he came across an actual ghost, or if a spirit actually made contact with him. He's a laughable joke.
  • eljmayeseljmayes Posts: 1,096
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    He was in my barbers a couple of weeks back. Didn't book an appointment beforehand obviously.
  • Big Boy BarryBig Boy Barry Posts: 35,369
    Forum Member
    Even after five centuries, Nostradamus still gets more right than Derek Acorah.
  • WhiteShadeWhiteShade Posts: 388
    Forum Member
    That entertainment disclaimer is purely for the sake of appeasing the regulators. Skeptics are obviously going to discredit people's beliefs but I feel that if all the mediums were deceiving the public they wouldn't of spent so long in the mainstream surely?

The art of speaking to the dead on TV hasn't been a recent phenomenon, Since Living TV's incarnation we've been glued by the afterlife.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    That entertainment disclaimer is purely for the sake of appeasing the regulators. Skeptics are obviously going to discredit people's beliefs but I feel that if all the mediums were deceiving the public they wouldn't of spent so long in the mainstream surely?

The art of speaking to the dead on TV hasn't been a recent phenomenon, Since Living TV's incarnation we've been glued by the afterlife.

It could be a case that some believers are too dim to pick up on the obvious signs that show them to be fake. They just sit there and are completely ignorant of the fact that they're being fooled by the fake medium's 'performance'. The first sign that a medium is fake is when the supposed medium starts asking things. If they were psychic they know, because the person from the spirit world would be providing them with all the information that they needed.
  • riverside 57riverside 57 Posts: 14,380
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    What always puzzles and to be honest irritates me is the whole vagueness of all the "information" they claim to be receiving! If the spirits were actually talking to them, why do so in riddles? Either they can communicate with them or they can't, all this mumbo jumbo about a Kathleen, Katherine or Kathy for example is just bullsh*t! Why can't they tell the medium their name properly?

I have always liked to keep an open mind, but as time goes on I can smell more and more bull whenever any of these showpeople appear claiming to be able to speak to dead [people and taking money from obviously grieving people makes them despicable to me! And Derek Acorah and Sally Morgan are in the forefront of my mind when I say this! Charlatans!
  • CitizenofPhobosCitizenofPhobos Posts: 1,677
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    tiggerpooh wrote: »
    The makers of the programme found out that he didn't actually know any of the info he was spouting to the camera. He was found out to be a fake, so he was dismissed from the programme.

Which again is incredibly ironic as the fakery intensified AFTER he left.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Which again is incredibly ironic as the fakery intensified AFTER he left.

But was anyone claiming to have special powers after he left or was it pretty obvious it was all for entertainment?