Why shouldn't I criticise Scott?

PasoHardlyPasoHardly Posts: 189
Forum Member
Typical of any forum, there are those users who think it's a reasonable request to order us to 'stop expressing your personal opinion' by vilifying one of the celebs.

Here's the thing, I have no problem with you having your opinion - even if I don't agree - so stop saying I shouldn't have mine.

As stated in many other threads, Scott is a bad dancer - but not 'funny bad' like Ann, Russell, Nancy etc. just 'bad bad' like Chris and Craig Kelly. He is NOT improving - his Charleston was actually his worst dance IMO - and while he may WANT to stay and is enjoying his time on the show (which is fine), on ITT he was talking about being given credit for 'trying' and 'putting in the hours'... I don't doubt he is! But this is not 'points for wearing pink'... I find him irritatingly bad as a dancer!

Let the public keep him in as long as they want... But don't expect those of us who can't stand both his dancing and his personality to not want to express the opinion that WE don't want him there.

I voted for Thom 3 times last night as I wanted to see him carry on in the competition; I didn't want to endure Scott and Joanne's 'Strictly Come Trying' journey anymore, so why shouldn't I reserve the right to vilify him, even if my opinion won't stop the public keeping him in again next week? It's expressing my own individual opinion, even if you don't agree...

Comments

• TheGreenManTheGreenMan Posts: 633
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    He can't dance and has zero personality - who's voting for him? It beggars belief.
  • TejasTejas Posts: 5,027
    Forum Member
    He can't dance and has zero personality - who's voting for him? It beggars belief.

I reckon Andy Murray votes for Scott 100 times a week in a misguided attempt to try and get his mum out of the show as he finds it too embarrassing! ;-)
  • nataliannatalian Posts: 4,295
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Tejas wrote: »
    I reckon Andy Murray votes for Scott 100 times a week in a misguided attempt to try and get his mum out of the show as he finds it too embarrassing! ;-)

This really did make me laugh :D

Having said that though, I can't imagine that Judy is any worse at dancing than Andy would have been at tennis after only having been learning to play for about two months so I don't see that her performances are in any way an embarrassment.

I am a bit concerned that the OP found Widdy and Nancy funny :o
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 6,340
    Forum Member
    I have to confess that I found Nancy Dell'Olio funny. It was like they'd let an incomprehensible, insane, Eurotrashy, very, very drunk first wife of a billionaire out of her permanent residence at The Priory and onto the show. I loved her!
  • edy10edy10 Posts: 18,399
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Well all I said is that, I wished some people would stop blaming Thom's departure on him....its not really his fault if he is really so popular with the public..... but then again you are completely entitled to have your own opinion about him and not agree with some of us...its only a forum .......... :p:)

Lol OP :D:D:D
  • *Topaz**Topaz* Posts: 4,263
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    PasoHardly wrote: »
    Typical of any forum, there are those users who think it's a reasonable request to order us to 'stop expressing your personal opinion' by vilifying one of the celebs.

Here's the thing, I have no problem with you having your opinion - even if I don't agree - so stop saying I shouldn't have mine.

As stated in many other threads, Scott is a bad dancer - but not 'funny bad' like Ann, Russell, Nancy etc. just 'bad bad' like Chris and Craig Kelly. He is NOT improving - his Charleston was actually his worst dance IMO - and while he may WANT to stay and is enjoying his time on the show (which is fine), on ITT he was talking about being given credit for 'trying' and 'putting in the hours'... I don't doubt he is! But this is not 'points for wearing pink'... I find him irritatingly bad as a dancer!

Let the public keep him in as long as they want... But don't expect those of us who can't stand both his dancing and his personality to not want to express the opinion that WE don't want him there.

I voted for Thom 3 times last night as I wanted to see him carry on in the competition; I didn't want to endure Scott and Joanne's 'Strictly Come Trying' journey anymore, so why shouldn't I reserve the right to vilify him, even if my opinion won't stop the public keeping him in again next week? It's expressing my own individual opinion, even if you don't agree...

I personally can't get that worked up about Scott still being there even though I was beginning to like Thom and feel sorry for him, Iveta and his fans. However you're perfectly entitled to criticise Scott - it's a forum where anyone should be able to express their opinion or let of steam about aspects of the show they don't like without snide or preachy judgements from others.

I find it funny how some posters on here quite merrily make constant digs at pros & celebs they don't like yet when someone expresses an opinion they don't agree with they're quick to take a pop at posters even to extent of starting a thread telling people to stop 'blaming' 'poor' Scott.
  • XassyXassy Posts: 9,365
    Forum Member
    Some people take Strictly waaaaaaay too seriously!
  • Scarlett BerryScarlett Berry Posts: 21,135
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    He's my least fave "celeb" this year.
  • The_abbottThe_abbott Posts: 26,937
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    You are in your rights to criticise Scott. He should have gone. I would normally throw Iveta my free votes but this week couldn't be bothered. Those that voted for Scott did bother (and probably wasted money IMO)

I have come to accept this now having watched SCD since the beginning. Does it ruin the show for me as a viewer? Yes it does. I watch SCD for the dancing - OK occasionally you get a 'comedy' routine who eventually do go but Scott has no personality in any of his dances. I am puzzled that people spend hard earned money to keep him in! :confused:

Judy is better than Scott because at least she looks like enjoying it and not just plodding steps like she was in week 1.

I doubt Thom (or Simon) will win but who knows. More may have come from him because at least he was improving each week and that is what I watch SCD for. To see people who work hard and get results go out is disappointing. I am not saying Scott isn't working hard but hes not improving.

I'm finding most of this years cast unlikeable actually so maybe thats why I am not more up in arms.

I now go and make tea or iron my clothes when Scott is on because I personally don't have any enjoyment in watching him.

It would not surprise me if Scott goes next week. Usually the viewers get a 'shaken' when one decent dancer goes. It really shouldn't get to that stage.

I preffered it when SCD only did 2 dances a week which meant everyone can be compared and not one person is doing a 'boring' dance like the viensez Waltz or has 'boring' music. I know some people are wowed by the music to vote or a lift. For me its technique.

This series is already under par for me and it just got a whole lot worse.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,928
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Be as rude as you like about his dancing, and/or anything he says/does while on the show. If you don't like it and it's there in front of you, you have the absolute right to say so.

DO NOT extrapolate what he says/does on the show into any sort of judgement on his personality as a whole. 90 minutes on a Saturday and 2 minutes on ITT each week do not give you any sort of clue as to what someone is like as a person.

I am fine with people criticising the dancing and anything someone says/does action-wise, as long as they can substantiate their opinion. Saying someone did something 'smugly' (the laziest insult around IMO) or claiming they 'crowed' - that is a judgement on your part, not a factual representation of what happened. And often, it's a nasty judgement born of personal prejudice and judgemental bias.
  • CherrybomberCherrybomber Posts: 3,743
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    PasoHardly wrote: »

erm , thats a long rant

who says you cant criticise scott?
  • CherrybomberCherrybomber Posts: 3,743
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Be as rude as you like about his dancing, and/or anything he says/does while on the show. If you don't like it and it's there in front of you, you have the absolute right to say so.

DO NOT extrapolate what he says/does on the show into any sort of judgement on his personality as a whole. 90 minutes on a Saturday and 2 minutes on ITT each week do not give you any sort of clue as to what someone is like as a person.

I am fine with people criticising the dancing and anything someone says/does action-wise, as long as they can substantiate their opinion. Saying someone did something 'smugly' (the laziest insult around IMO) or claiming they 'crowed' - that is a judgement on your part, not a factual representation of what happened. And often, it's a nasty judgement born of personal prejudice and judgemental bias.

do you have a mirror handy?
    :D
  • Grumpy_AlanGrumpy_Alan Posts: 1,672
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    He can't dance and has zero personality -.

Judging solely on his TV appearance, as we should, you are absolutely correct.

No measurable talent and no perceptible personality. On radio he may or may not be OK but we are looking at TV, not some puerile Radio 1 promo.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,928
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    do you have a mirror handy?
    :D

Oooh, look at the person who DMs me to let me know they're ignoring me, then decides to reply to my posts, in another episode of bafflingly pathetic Internet logic. 'I don't care what you think but I'll still make comment on it, while letting you know I don't care.' :D:D
    Judging solely on his TV appearance, as we should, you are absolutely correct.

No measurable talent and no perceptible personality. On radio he may or may not be OK but we are looking at TV, not some puerile Radio 1 promo.

That kind of sounds like you think nobody should be invited onto SCD unless they've got a TV background? Or can prove they've got a 'personality' - but what parameters would you use to judge that?

I think it's fair to say that we've had SCD contestants who are primarily famous for being on TV who haven't come across as being all that interesting, as well as people not famous solely for being on telly who've come across really well. Mark Ramprakash, for example, wasn't famous for being on telly AND didn't exactly push himself forward in interviews-but I wouldn't have wanted to be deprived of him on SCD.
  • Grumpy_AlanGrumpy_Alan Posts: 1,672
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    ...That kind of sounds like you think nobody should be invited onto SCD unless they've got a TV background? Or can prove they've got a 'personality' - but what parameters would you use to judge that?...

My post was, I thought, quite clear in it's implications.

Based upon his TV appearances, then we can only judge, or deduce, two things.

As I wrote:

No measurable talent and no perceptible personality.

Insofar as his TV appearances are concerned that continues to be the case and is not relevant to any other performer, past or present.

Surely, in the context of SCD, we can only make judgements based upon SCD performances.

We wouldn't comment on, say, Judy as being an excellent tennis coach and the proud mother of two talented players, (although she is). We could comment on her TV personality and performance on SCD. In both instances, incidentally, she far more memorable than Scott.
  • yohinnchildyohinnchild Posts: 52,522
    Forum Member
    I am a big fan of Scott's and am an avid pd cast listener. However i'm not a fan on him on SCD and haven't listened to any of his shows podcasts since he's been on the show.

My one key issue with him aside the dancing is the 'celeb friends' angle which is just a bit tiresome for me. I've no doubt he is working hard, but he is awful and he isn't funny it's just cringey. I'm hoping he'll be out in the next 2 as I'm finding the longer he is on the show the more it is alienating me from liking him
  • CranfieldCranfield Posts: 415
    Forum Member
    The question was; "Why shouldn't I criticise Scott? "

Because my Mum always told me you should never mock the afflicted.
  • primerprimer Posts: 6,370
    Forum Member
    I have to confess that I found Nancy Dell'Olio funny. It was like they'd let an incomprehensible, insane, Eurotrashy, very, very drunk first wife of a billionaire out of her permanent residence at The Priory and onto the show. I loved her!

:D:D:D that is hilarious - an absolutely perfect description of nancy, i also loved her.
  • BFGArmyBFGArmy Posts: 28,902
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Anyone can criticise who they want - but at the same time I can criticise someone from criticising someone.

And some of the views on Scott have gone a bit beyond 'he's a bad dancer and I'm not a fan' and has been very personal and make me think people take Strictly a tad too seriously. I've seen him compared to a toddler, called 'Craig Kelly desperate', apparently people think he's convinced he's a great dancer (through no evidence whatsoever of him saying that), people convinced he isn't bothered with training and is doing the show 'for a joke' and apparently he's evil for asking people to vote for him (all the above genuine)

It's all a bit ridiculous. He's not a great dancer and has admitted as much (even when he was revealed as appearing on Strictly) numerous times and I can understand if people aren't fans of his and that they are entitled to say what they want but some of the criticism and vitriol of the comments says more about the posters writing the comments than Scott.
  • luigy39luigy39 Posts: 578
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    It is very unfortunate that Scott is still on the show, he will end up costing far better dancers if he stays on the competition, he brings nothing to it.
  • Tall PaulTall Paul Posts: 8,786
    Forum Member
    Obviously the production team wanted a shock and they got it, its all a massive con, they say they don't manipulate, but when you look at Scotts VTs in training their editing him purposely in a good light so that's gonna attract voters to vote even more for him, even though he's as poor dancer as your gonna get, same with John sergeant they made him look like he was having fun and the voters fell into the producers trap. :(
  • norbitonitenorbitonite Posts: 8,666
    Forum Member
    With John S, Widdi and Julian Clary I could see why people found them entertaining and were voting for them. I just don't see the same entertainment value in Scott. He seems a little bland, and his dances aren't amusingly bad, they're just straightforwardly awful. Nor is he getting such theatrically harsh criticism from the judges that it causes a backlash.

I am perplexed as to why he's pulling in the votes that he obviously is.
  • SeymourSeymour Posts: 8,248
    Forum Member
    I have never seen the comedy in watching someone with two left feet try to dance, I just find it embarrassing and choose not to watch them, however I do like to watch someone improving every dance, like Thom was doing.
  • DeltaBluesDeltaBlues Posts: 4,256
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I appear to have lost the ability to multi quote, but I agree with Lorelei's first post and BFGArmy.

There's a fine line between criticism and personal insults, and it often gets crossed. Some of the vitriol I've seen aimed at Scott, and even more so at others over the years sometimes makes me wonder how healthy it is for some posters to spend so much time here. To be *so* invested in a fluffy light entertainment show, to take it so seriously so that their posts become almost rabid in their dislike of X or their defence of Y...we're talking about who did a better foxtrot, not the fate of the Gaza Strip.

I haven't voted for Scott and I'm unlikely to, because I haven't been entertained by him. I hope he is the next to go, although I suspect he won't be. I'll be disappointed if Sunetra were to go before him, as I think she has tons of potential but is often marked harshly compared to some so ends up vulnerable on the leaderboard, but if that were to happen I wouldn't hold Scott personally responsible or ask for the head of him and his voters on a platter. Them's the breaks when you're a fan of a reality show with a public vote. *shrug*
  • *Topaz**Topaz* Posts: 4,263
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    DeltaBlues wrote: »
    I appear to have lost the ability to multi quote, but I agree with Lorelei's first post and BFGArmy.

There's a fine line between criticism and personal insults, and it often gets crossed. Some of the vitriol I've seen aimed at Scott, and even more so at others over the years sometimes makes me wonder how healthy it is for some posters to spend so much time here. To be *so* invested in a fluffy light entertainment show, to take it so seriously so that their posts become almost rabid in their dislike of X or their defence of Y...we're talking about who did a better foxtrot, not the fate of the Gaza Strip.

I haven't voted for Scott and I'm unlikely to, because I haven't been entertained by him. I hope he is the next to go, although I suspect he won't be. I'll be disappointed if Sunetra were to go before him, as I think she has tons of potential but is often marked harshly compared to some so ends up vulnerable on the leaderboard, but if that were to happen I wouldn't hold Scott personally responsible or ask for the head of him and his voters on a platter. Them's the breaks when you're a fan of a reality show with a public vote. *shrug*

I agree there can be fine line between criticising and insulting. However, as I said before this is a forum where people are entitled to their views and I'm afraid some 'celebs' and pros just rub people up the wrong way, so strong opinions are to be expected. I don't care if someone is famous if there is proof of a bad reputation or they're not coming across well on strictly then I'm entitled to discuss it. Some of the stuff posted on forums makes me wince but I don't make it a personal mission of mine to lecture posters on what they should post - if I feel someone has gone to far I either try and disagree politely (it's not easy on here given how heated things can get and provocative some posters can be ) or I just press the alert button. There's certain pros and celebs I really like who I've seen torn to shreds on this forum and in the media at large but I have to accept that's one of prices they have to pay for being on telly.

Also while there are posters who go too far in slagging of certain celebs and pros on forums there are also posters who go too far in being fiercely protective or defensive over 'celebs' and pros they like and even the show itself - I've lost count of the number of times I've been personally insulted just because I've been critical of somone's favourtie or criticised aspects of the show.